• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't wipe my ass with old magic art. Its horrendous. Contemporary magic illustration by fantasy art industry megastars like Karla Ortiz is a major part of my enjoyment of the game.

Crocodile

The overall quality of mtg art has improved dramatically from the days they were employing art school dropouts, but it's come at the expense of impressionist, abstract, and other stylized approaches. This is the same issue with having funny stuff: they over-value brand consistency because of an underlying conservative streak.

In fairness, the art today is far better under Jeremy Jarvis than the homogenized, pandering "magepunk" garbage we got under Jeremy Cranford; I just wish Jarvis (who has a very abstract leaning in his own pieces) went off the leash a bit more.

Was that the era of Onslaught and Mirrodin Classic? Because holy shit was the art bad for those sets :/ :(

To be fair Charlequin, the best basic forest art ever was done by an art school dropout:

I3uogn9k5lBFKLuJ-2SVmQL0iEJXrzjaSFziS0s3EHROpKowvN2gxkBon8gmTuuVeHNRx6PoXuekgk7u5KLIOo1xzFAohyTFR2AI_O7Em9sJNQQhg_Ko0vdsu4cw5lofGWWQN439Hrw0XGY=w430-h609-nc
And by dropout I mean recruited by a major company as a sophomore.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
As a whole, I think the art has gotten much better. There were standouts in the past, sure, but there was a metric ton of crap. I do wish they'd change up the styles a bit more. Everything is very well done now, but there is no doubt it has become somewhat homogenized. Maybe in the fairy tale block Maro has talked about will deviate a bit.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";138320833]I wouldn't wipe my ass with old magic art. Its horrendous. Contemporary magic illustration by fantasy art industry megastars like Karla Ortiz is a major part of my enjoyment of the game.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much though I have no idea who all these famous artists are but the art these days is so much better. Just look at Counterspell. Every single one of those old ones has horrendous art. That duel deck version is awesome but costs 8 bucks.

Firemind

Pretty much though I have no idea who all these famous artists are but the art these days is so much better. Just look at Counterspell. Every single one of those old ones has horrendous art. That duel deck version is awesome but costs 8 bucks.

I like Masques' serene artwork more than Jace casting a wave to douse fire.

Also OG Brainstorm still number one with Masques second.

dat old border

WanderingWind

Masques Brainstorm > All. The artist for the new one should've been slapped for not know what a "brainstorm" is. I do prefer Jace counterspell. It's the most dynamic of all the arts. Ice Age version is pretty sweet, too.

Kerrinck

Never realized the Chris Rahn one was actually a Brain casting storms, that's terrible.
My favorite one is still the Masques version.

red13th

Never realized the Chris Rahn one was actually a Brain casting storms, that's terrible.
My favorite one is still the Masques version.

That's what I mean by direct. I'm not sure what's the best word to convey what I mean. There's very little nuance lately, not only in art but also generally in creative. Card concepts and flavour too.
Art-wise, it was even worse for a period of time (think of 7th Edition's art, eww). I miss artists like Rebecca Guay and RFK for instance. At least they still hire Therese Nielsen to make MtG art.

The new Brainstorm just looks like the art director wanted to do something different. But they just ended up making something hokey and lame. Personally, I like the JVC Brainstorm best, but the lady Masques art is really good too.

OnPoint

Original art Brainstorm is the best only because of how little the guy on the card makes sense. He's painted in such an awkward and strange way. His outfit is super funky and doesn't fit in with the Ice Age style. It's just so god damned weird I love it.

Masques art Brainstorm is PROBABLY the best one, from an art quality/flavor perspective. But I'll always prefer the Ice Age one.

Also, the old borders were so much more awesome than the new ones. Just look at the genius that was the border for black Vs the new one:

MTG-MM-Thrashing-Wumpus.jpg
ccfb341c822beb554dc951e0bd029b4e.jpg

I love how swampy it looked. The new one just kind of looks like a pale imitation.

Hell, I thought all the old borders were pretty sweet except for red, which seemed like the most creatively bankrupt. It was so not mountainous and more like carved stone... so boring. Also, OG artifact borders for life.

As a whole, I think the art has gotten much better. There were standouts in the past, sure, but there was a metric ton of crap. I do wish they'd change up the styles a bit more. Everything is very well done now, but there is no doubt it has become somewhat homogenized. Maybe in the fairy tale block Maro has talked about will deviate a bit.

Speaking of fairy tale block, I want a card like this.
Jug of Water - (1)
Artifact
(1), Tap, Sacrifice Jug of Water: Choose one --
* Target player gains 4 life.
* Deal 4 damage to target Hag creature.

red13th

PPTQ Schedule: http://magic.wizards.com/en/potqvan15/locations

Hope you like Standard. My favored LGS is having Modern though which is nice, but I have no idea how they're going to fit the people that'll probably show. They can sit something like 32 people. I guess they can just cap attendance but that seems really small for such an event.

Whoa there's over a dozen of events in my city but the only Modern one is like 30km from where I live (São Paulo is big).

For a city as large as Houston, the Magic scene here seems to be really small. Hardly any stores are even close to me on the store locator, and the ones that are seem to have Magic as an afterthought. It's kinda depressing, actually.

WanderingWind

Speaking of fairy tale block, I want a card like this.
Jug of Water - (1)
Artifact
(1), Tap, Sacrifice Jug of Water: Choose one --
* Target player gains 4 life.
* Deal 4 damage to target Hag creature.

A block that plays off the myths and legends of fairy tales in the way Innistrad did with horror tropes would basically put me into the poor house. That card would be pretty righteous in a set like that. With a strong Hag tribal subtheme, of course.

Firemind

ITT we post our favourite artwork

Personal favourite of mine. The design of the card doesn't make sense (echo and not haste) and the name doesn't make sense (not a dragon made of lightning), but look at that art. Just allround badass.

It was at first commissioned for another card, hence the barbarian in the art, but it fit so well, they used it for Force of Will and a classic was born.

Here we have another dragon, but it's depicted in a different dynamic. It's terrorizing the poor people of Mercadia! It's also two-headed and the heads look like a tyrannosaurus rex's head, which makes the art even awesomer.

ultron87

I'm actually pretty pleased overall with the number of PPTQs near Cincinnati. I don't really have Pro Tour aspirations but it is pretty cool that if I wanted to I could play in one or two competitive level events most of the weekends in Dec - Feb without driving a terribly far distance. Wonder what the entry fees for these will end up being.

I'm actually pretty pleased overall with the number of PPTQs near Cincinnati. I don't really have Pro Tour aspirations but it is pretty cool that if I wanted to I could play in one or two competitive level events most of the weekends in Dec - Feb without driving a terribly far distance. Wonder what the entry fees for these will end up being.

I just want to draft. I live in the suburbs of Houston; if I want to draft, I pretty much have a 45-minute drive ahead of me. I'll drive that for the occasional pre-release tournament, but I miss my weekly FNM drafts in Australia. MTGO keeps getting crappier and crappier, and even though the level of competition is higher, it's just more fun to draft with real people than with faceless names.

bigkrev

Favorite art?

Just do a gatherer visual spoiler for Weatherlight- all of the art in that set is freaking awesome.

Other random pieces:
Image.ashx

Mountain301.jpg

images

I love the counter spell arts just because of how random they all are. I personally use the Ice Age ones but they're all pretty funny.

The worst thing about playing Legacy is that I have to play all my nice Veronique Meignaud full art basics next to the ugly revised duals.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";138379480]Wow, being in northern California rules. There are more than a dozen pptqs within an easy driving distance lol

True legacy diehards have shit taste in art.[/QUOTE]

Stasis bro woooooooooo

Worst ever.

Bandini

Tested against UR Delver. Not sure how I would beat it with UWR Geist. Treasure Cruise gives them so much fuel.

With UR delver so popular right now, I think it warrants playing a couple extra sideboard cards against it. Spirit of the Labyrinth is super good, but obviously prone to removal. Pyroclasm helps manage Pyromancer. Players usually tap out then delve for TC so if you can save your counters for it that helps a lot too. Still a tough matchup either way, but I don't think it's unwinnable.

Kerrinck

With UR delver so popular right now, I think it warrants playing a couple extra sideboard cards against it. Spirit of the Labyrinth is super good, but obviously prone to removal. Pyroclasm helps manage Pyromancer. Players usually tap out then delve for TC so if you can save your counters for it that helps a lot too. Still a tough matchup either way, but I don't think it's unwinnable.

Firewalker helps a lot in the match up.

Shouldn't burn decks just wreck Delver decks? There is way more burn in Burn (also Lavamancers) than there are creatures in Delver. Plus burn can pretty easily play Treasure Cruises of their own to keep up on cards.

Burn just seems to beat up on a LOT of stuff in the modern metagame. Eidolon of the Great Revel is a sick card that shores up any matchup that was questionable before. I bet it's gonna shoot up in price soon.

/random

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";138389890]Nobody tried to solve my magic opening hand puzzle :(

The answer was, nothing is good on the draw vs mono red. Just give up.[/QUOTE]

Um, land, land, Circle of Flame (evil laughter)

Uh... wow.

Dude on my local MtG players Facebook page posted that he needed some cards. I replied and said I could trade them to him and worked out a meeting place for right before the tournament at his store.

I've only been in this place like 3 times. On two of those occasions I bought things; the last time I didn't.

I walked in the store and the owner says "Are you playing in the tournament?"

"No, I don't have a deck."

"Okay, well we charge $5 tabletop fee."

"...For what?"

"To trade."

I was like 'wat.' I shrugged my shoulders and left.

I feel kinda bad for the guy who needed my cards, but holy shit what an awful policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom