• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";138073585]I still haven't gotten farther into mtgo than playing people with the prebuilt decks in the free area lol[/QUOTE]

You will never know the hilarity of Black Lotus, Forbidden Orchard ----> Oath of Druids + Mana Drain the opposing Force of Will.

Firemind

Sadly, the game is amazing despite their best efforts. It's so awesome that I don't want to quit playing online, because if I do, then I simply can't play. The game barely exists in Germany.

I thought Germany had an active community. I mean, yeah, it's a big country and the gambling laws suck, but I thought Germans loved their card and board games.

Firemind

Lovely bug I encountered on MTGO today.

So I draft, build a deck, hit submit. Can't complete request. Okay, no biggie. Happened a few times before. I restart the client. Build the same deck again and... wait a minute, why have my cards in my maindeck magically disappeared? What is going on? With no option to have the cards reappear again, I restart the client a bunch of times and the same issue keeps happening. With one minute left on the clock, I say fuck it. Filing a reimbursement. What a colossal waste of my time.

Lovely bug I encountered on MTGO today.

So I draft, build a deck, hit submit. Can't complete request. Okay, no biggie. Happened a few times before. I restart the client. Build the same deck again and... wait a minute, why have my cards in my maindeck magically disappeared? What is going on? With no option to have the cards reappear again, I restart the client a bunch of times and the same issue keeps happening. With one minute left on the clock, I say fuck it. Filing a reimbursement. What a colossal waste of my time.

I still don't get how the deck submission bug still exists. It's so fundamental

Firemind

The good news is I got reimbursed. The bad news is I don't think they're going to do anything about the bugs, since the e-mail doesn't say anything about the issue or how to prevent it from happening. They're essentially sweeping it under the rug. Lovely.

The good news is I got reimbursed. The bad news is I don't think they're going to do anything about the bugs, since the e-mail doesn't say anything about the issue or how to prevent it from happening. They're essentially sweeping it under the rug. Lovely.

Is it in the new "Known Issues" list? I briefly scanned the issues when they released it, but can't remember the specifics. No game dev that I've ever met or worked with likes or just lets bugs persist when they are actually affecting the player's ability to play the game. Especially when the Draft part of MTGO must be their most lucrative aspect of the software? Of course, other circumstances might limit the ability to fix various issues, but I would bet that they're not happy about it either :)

I don't want to take anything away from how annoying it must be, though..

ElyrionX

Draft is not necessarily the most lucrative part of MTGO. Unlike real life, Wizards actually benefits from the secondary singles market since the de facto currency of MTGO is tickets which are bought by people to trade for singles.

MTGO has got to have some incredible ROI numbers ao it's surprising that they are not pouring more money into it.

kirblar

Draft is not necessarily the most lucrative part of MTGO. Unlike real life, Wizards actually benefits from the secondary singles market since the de facto currency of MTGO is tickets which are bought by people to trade for singles.

MTGO has got to have some incredible ROI numbers ao it's surprising that they are not pouring more money into it.
The ROI numbers are why it doesn't get more investment. "You already make a shit-ton, how can you prove this won't just lose us a shit ton instead of making us a second shit ton?"

I love using the Daretti commander deck so much. I need some more busted artifacts to add. I think I'll put Scuttling Doom Engine, Mimic Vat, and Thopter Assembley for sure.

The ROI numbers are why it doesn't get more investment. "You already make a shit-ton, how can you prove this won't just lose us a shit ton instead of making us a second shit ton?"

And apparently nobody in WotC digital is just carrying around a sign that says "Hearthstone!" to hold up at exactly such opportune moments.

Matriox

And apparently nobody in WotC digital is just carrying around a sign that says "Hearthstone!" to hold up at exactly such opportune moments.

I dont need all of the noises or even nearly as good looking as hearthstone, but if MTGO looked half that good and was as easy to build/buy/play I'd be all in. I'd imagine that infrastructure is daunting as hell to redo or upgrade considering all of the card interaction with each and every card.

So I forgot I hadnt posted my deck that I decided last second to play at SCG Open Col this weekend. It looks like a pile of cards but it actually plays out well and doesn't run into mana issues nearly as much as I thought it would:

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:24
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Anafenza, the Foremost
4 Boon Satyr
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Siege Rhino
2 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells:12
2 Crater's Claws
4 Magma Jet
1 Abzan Charm
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
3 Xenagos, the Reveler

Lands:24
1 Bloodstained Mire
4 Forest
2 Llanowar Wastes
4 Mana Confluence
2 Mountain
1 Nomad Outpost
1 Plains
1 Sandsteppe Citadel
1 Swamp
1 Temple of Abandon
1 Temple of Plenty
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Windswept Heath
3 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:15
4 Mistcutter Hydra
4 Thoughtseize
2 Unravel the AEther
2 Nylea's Disciple
1 Whip of Erebos
1 Murderous Cut
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

I had planned on playing Jeskai Control but a friend of mine came alone and didn't have everything he needed for UW control. I didnt test the deck at all before the event, but it has issues with Abzan Midrange so I probably shouldn't have played it. Did extremely well against Jeskai, Jeskai Ascension Combo, and Temur though. Silly deck is silly. Won more games than I can count with Crater's Claw's after a flash in Boon Satyr at the end of their turn.

If MTGO really lost half of its player base from the recent debacles, that could be enough to get them in gear.

Either that, or it'll make them pull out entirely.

ElyrionX

As an equity analyst, this makes no sense at all. Companies have been hoarding cash and capital is cheap to raise. The issue has always been finding opportunities to invest in. This is true in general for most companies and I doubt it'd be any different at Hasbro. It's got to be corporate politics at WotC that is preventing something from happening. Or perhaps they don't want to invest in MTGO because they are working on a permanent solution to unify the paper and digital game?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
As an equity analyst, this makes no sense at all. Companies have been hoarding cash and capital is cheap to raise. The issue has always been finding opportunities to invest in. This is true in general for most companies and I doubt it'd be any different at Hasbro. It's got to be corporate politics at WotC that is preventing something from happening. Or perhaps they don't want to invest in MTGO because they are working on a permanent solution to unify the paper and digital game?

And as a on-and-off again marketer who has studied WotC in-depth (largely in hopes of getting hired on after my current contract is up) I can say that the company at large is worried about upsetting the delicate symbiosis they have with card shops. WotC is very concerned about anything that eats into the paper product, as that's their primarily business model.

It's extremely scary to truly branch out into a secondary platform, especially one that could potentially bleed off embedded customers from your lifeblood. WotC needs butts in seats for FNM, because the card shops need them there spending money. WotC may see a great ROI on their MTGO product, but for every customer who stops going to their LCS to spend cash, their relationship gets a bit worse. If a shop stops seeing attendance, they could potentially stop carrying paper products, which of course is bad for everybody.

That's what they're scared of and that's what has driven their every decision behind MTGO. The B-team programmers, the bot-driven trades, the refusal to really implement any sort of real quality control - everything. It all stems from their fear of losing real life customers, because until MTGO makes enough money to float the entire brand, they need more people cracking packs than drafting at 1 a.m.

Of course, I can spin entire books worth of text on how they can balance those needs better, but ain't nobody got time for that. They are taking some baby steps in the right direction this year, but we'll see how they follow up.

ElyrionX

And as a on-and-off again marketer who has studied WotC in-depth (largely in hopes of getting hired on after my current contract is up) I can say that the company at large is worried about upsetting the delicate symbiosis they have with card shops. WotC is very concerned about anything that eats into the paper product, as that's their primarily business model.

It's extremely scary to truly branch out into a secondary platform, especially one that could potentially bleed off embedded customers from your lifeblood. WotC needs butts in seats for FNM, because the card shops need them there spending money. WotC may see a great ROI on their MTGO product, but for every customer who stops going to their LCS to spend cash, their relationship gets a bit worse. If a shop stops seeing attendance, they could potentially stop carrying paper products, which of course is bad for everybody.

That's what they're scared of and that's what has driven their every decision behind MTGO. The B-team programmers, the bot-driven trades, the refusal to really implement any sort of real quality control - everything. It all stems from their fear of losing real life customers, because until MTGO makes enough money to float the entire brand, they need more people cracking packs than drafting at 1 a.m.

Of course, I can spin entire books worth of text on how they can balance those needs better, but ain't nobody got time for that. They are taking some baby steps in the right direction this year, but we'll see how they follow up.

Good stuff. Thanks for the perspective.

ElyrionX

TIL protection from colours means they can't be dealt damage by the colour specified even if the spell is non-target (ie. I can't use Anger of the Gods to wipe off Etched Champions).

EDIT: Wait a minute. Can Etched Champion take damage or be blocked by colourless creatures?

bigkrev

TIL protection from colours means they can't be dealt damage by the colour specified even if the spell is non-target (ie. I can't use Anger of the Gods to wipe off Etched Champions).

EDIT: Wait a minute. Can Etched Champion take damage or be blocked by colourless creatures?

Yes. The amount of times I've gotten an Etched Champion killed because I forgot that- too many to count.

That's why Pro-red is so frustrating. All of the other colors can get around protection through sweepers, but red sweepers are still hosed.

And yes, Etched Champion doesn't have protection from colorless sources. You could Ghostfire it, for example.

y2dvd

I love the fact that different decks still keeps popping up in the top 8 in standard. It's pretty great how healthy Standards is at the moment.

We played with the new commander decks without any adjustments this weekend and it's fairly balanced. We decided it keep the decklist unchanged when playing with the new decks lol.

OnPoint

I love the fact that different decks still keeps popping up in the top 8 in standard. It's pretty great how healthy Standards is at the moment.

We played with the new commander decks without any adjustments this weekend and it's fairly balanced. We decided it keep the decklist unchanged when playing with the new decks lol.

In the games we played, the blue one performed shockingly well. Do you know how fun it is to cast a kicked Rite of Replication on an Artisan of Kozilek?

ElyrionX

Jeskai Tempo seems to have slipped a bit. As someone who's been piloting that since the first week of KTK, I can't say I'm too surprised. The deck feels very poorly positioned in a meta of Abzan and now Mardu.

In the games we played, the blue one performed shockingly well. Do you know how fun it is to cast a kicked Rite of Replication on an Artisan of Kozilek?

Rules Nazi time: were you reanimating creatures with the copies? Because if so, you're not supposed to. That only triggers when you cast the creature, not when it enters the battlefield.

kirblar

Hasbro does toys. They're a seasonal company that's solely focused on the short-term. They don't understand digital in the slightest. It won't replace IRL because IRL is much less expensive.

bigkrev

Hasbro does toys. They're a seasonal company that's solely focused on the short-term. They don't understand digital in the slightest. It won't replace IRL because IRL is much less expensive.

Might be a dumb question, but why is Funko making Magic action figures instead of Hasbro?

Kerrinck

So a friend just opened a foil Mire and wants to sell it for 35$.
Should I jump on it or will these go even lower with the huge amount of Khans being opened?

MaRo talks more about Unglued 2, and has a poll for an important topic:
broccoli.jpg

Funny or not funny?
EDIT: I voted funny.

bigkrev

Article made me miss the days when Magic art was all over the place, as opposed to the consistant style we get today.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

These cards are all from the same set!

red13th

Article made me miss the days when Magic art was all over the place, as opposed to the consistant style we get today.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

These cards are all from the same set!

I miss old art. Art these days is great, no doubt, but way too... direct? Not sure how to put it. We rarely get more abstract stuff that were prevalent at the beginning.

I like the card art and idea that there could be a card called Broccoli (voted 'Funny'). I don't love it as a 1/1 creature, though.. Maybe an enchantment that prevents Players under a certain age from attacking you or something? :p Too obvious, perhaps.

Kerrinck

I miss old art. Art these days is great, no doubt, but way too... direct? Not sure how to put it. We rarely get more abstract stuff that were prevalent at the beginning.

Yup, I love some of the older artists and it's a shame we never get anything similar these days. Richard Kane Ferguson is still my favorite, I think he has stopped drawing new stuff since I haven't seen his work in a while.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

OnPoint

Rules Nazi time: were you reanimating creatures with the copies? Because if so, you're not supposed to. That only triggers when you cast the creature, not when it enters the battlefield.

I did at first, then read the card and put them all away haha

Still, 6 Artisans, each one with Annihilator 2 is pretty good. People didn't scoop, though, until I played that 5 mana "draw cards = to your highest CMC" which was 9. Don't know why haha

The overall quality of mtg art has improved dramatically from the days they were employing art school dropouts, but it's come at the expense of impressionist, abstract, and other stylized approaches. This is the same issue with having funny stuff: they over-value brand consistency because of an underlying conservative streak.

In fairness, the art today is far better under Jeremy Jarvis than the homogenized, pandering "magepunk" garbage we got under Jeremy Cranford; I just wish Jarvis (who has a very abstract leaning in his own pieces) went off the leash a bit more.

Hasbro is a packaged goods company who completely and totally fail to understand the digital world. They don't get how to market in it, they don't understand why tech people are paid so much, and they don't see why a waterfall dev process that's great fit physically molded toys wouldn't work on software.

WotC has literally never had a good digital initiative. They fucked up digital tools for three consecutive editions of D&D; they've made MODO worse and worse over time; they TRIED TO MAKE GLEEMAX A THING. They're hopeless without a random non-WotC exec getting digital religion.

The overall quality of mtg art has improved dramatically from the days they were employing art school dropouts, but it's come at the expense of impressionist, abstract, and other stylized approaches. This is the same issue with having funny stuff: they over-value brand consistency because of an underlying conservative streak.

Modern Magic artwork is basically cheesy comic book stuff. It's so direct; always a center-frame shot of the dude in an AWESOME pose or something. Definite step backwards from the bizarre inconsistency of previous years, with all the more abstract representations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom