• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.ZZZ

Also, Sudden Shock suddenly a relevant card.

Sudden shock has been an amazing card for a while now. Kill Delvers, mom can't protect, elves can't bounce, SFM can't activate in response, Pyromancer can't make tokens in response, can't be countered, can kill DRS before they remove a card you need from the graveyard etc... I play 4 maindeck already in my decks, it's just insane in the current metagame.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
New Magic player here, just dropping in to say I'm having loads of fun playing / discovering Magic right now.

I was browsing Youtube last week and stumbled across some episodes of Spellslingers and bought the M15 Fate & Fury Clash Pack out of impulse. It was only after I had bought it that I realized I did not even know anyone to play Magic with and how it might be hard to convince someone to get into Magic with me, but I didn't really care. Then, literally the very next day, a classmate of mine brought up Magic in a random conversation and it turned out he was a regular Magic player. Next day I brought my Clash Pack and we played a few games, when another classmate jumped in and revealed that he had also been playing Magic for quite some time to the surprise of both me and the other guy. Since then, two more classmates have joined in wanting to learn Magic and now the five of us are playing Magic at the end of every school day. I'm having tons of fun learning through play and getting to play with and against some of their decks. Then, yesterday, my sister's boyfriend came over and he too has been playing Magic for a while now! So in just about under a week, I went from a single impulse buy to having six friends that I can very regularly play Magic with. What are the odds of that?

New Magic player here, just dropping in to say I'm having loads of fun playing / discovering Magic right now.

I was browsing Youtube last week and stumbled across some episodes of Spellslingers and bought the M15 Fate & Fury Clash Pack out of impulse. It was only after I had bought it that I realized I did not even know anyone to play Magic with and how it might be hard to convince someone to get into Magic with me, but I didn't really care. Then, literally the very next day, a classmate of mine brought up Magic in a random conversation and it turned out he was a regular Magic player. Next day I brought my Clash Pack and we played a few games, when another classmate jumped in and revealed that he had also been playing Magic for quite some time to the surprise of both me and the other guy. Since then, two more classmates have joined in wanting to learn Magic and now the five of us are playing Magic at the end of every school day. I'm having tons of fun learning through play and getting to play with and against some of their decks. Then, yesterday, my sister's boyfriend came over and he too has been playing Magic for a while now! So in just about under a week, I went from a single impulse buy to having six friends that I can very regularly play Magic with. What are the odds of that?

Welcome to the family! That actually is a great stroke of luck and I'm happy for you! Magic is a great game with a mostly great community. We're here for whatever questions you have :)

Just FYI, the last couple of pages are talking a lot about a HUGE tournament (3rd biggest ever) taking place in New Jersey this weekend. This particular format allows cards printed throughout Magic's 20 year history (most tournaments only use cards printed in the last 2 years).

It's pretty exciting. If you're at all interested, you can read coverage about that tournament at www.starcitygames.com, and look for the link that says "GP New Jersey Coverage." There's a live stream as well as articles.

Lucario

Just made it home from NJ, had a great event overall. Kirblar is a cool dude.

Troll and Toad's dollar bin had a special deal today -- if you took 100 or more cards from it, they were 0.25 each.

I managed to find twenty 1999 Arena Promo swamps in there, most of them NM and in sleeves. Also a NM japanese followed footsteps, five japanese Magistrate's Scepters, and a ton of other $3+ promos and rares.

I swear, every event I go to, I find ridiculous price mistakes at T&T.

bigkrev

Just made it home from NJ, had a great event overall. Kirblar is a cool dude.

Troll and Toad's dollar bin had a special deal today -- if you took 100 or more cards from it, they were 0.25 each.

I managed to find twenty 1999 Arena Promo swamps in there, most of them NM and in sleeves. Also a NM japanese followed footsteps, five japanese Magistrate's Scepters, and a ton of other $3+ promos and rares.

I swear, every event I go to, I find ridiculous price mistakes at T&T.

Post your list from the Urzas sealed!

Lucario

Post your list from the Urzas sealed!

8 Island
8 Plains
3 Swamp
1 Faerie Conclave

Sicken

Fog Bank
Wall of Glare
Hermetic Study
Rune of Protection: Red
Monk Realist
Lilting Refrain

Weatherseed Faeries
Wizard Mentor
Metathran Elite
Catalog
Opal Champion
Phyrexian Ghoul

Kingfisher
Tormented Angel
Path of Peace
Worship
Seasoned Marshall

Vigilant Drake

Witch Engine

I forget the last card. The deck was kind of a pile; grakl's was MUCH better.

Now that the GP is over, all you other Legacy nuts can help me tune my deck ^_^

Miracles

Spells(25):
  • 3 Force of Will
  • 4 Brainstorm
  • 2 Spell Pierce
  • 3 Swords to Plowshares
  • 1 Pyroblast
  • 1 Enlightened Tutor
  • 4 Terminus
  • 2 Counterspell
  • 2 Council's Judgement
  • 1 Supreme Verdict
  • 2 Entreat the Angels

Artifacts(5):
  • 4 Sensei's Divining Top
  • 1 Helm of Obedience

Enchantments(7):
  • 2 Rest in Peace
  • 2 Energy Field
  • 3 Counterbalance

Land(23):
  • 2 Arid Mesa
  • 4 Scalding Tarn
  • 4 Flooded Strand
  • 2 Tundra
  • 1 Plateau
  • 1 Karakas
  • 1 Mystic Gate
  • 1 Mountain
  • 5 Island
  • 2 Plains

Sideboard(15):
  • 2 Engineered Explosives
  • 1 Batterskull
  • 2 Stoneforge Mystic
  • 1 Flusterstorm
  • 1 Venser, Shaper Savant
  • 1 Misdrection
  • 1 Pyroblast
  • 2 Red Elemental Blast
  • 1 Blood Moon
  • 1 Wear // Tear
  • 1 Izzet Staticaster
  • 1 Supreme Verdict

I've got a local Legacy tournament this week, and I've gotta fight against UR Delver, UWR Delver, Goblins, Nic-Fit and stuff like that.

kirblar

Play the list with 4 ponders and lots of alters that I lost to. :p

Wish I had time to play with the UWR Stoneblade list, lol. Was definitely a strict upgrade on Delver.

Turns out I was wrong and Young Pyromancer is insane. :p

IMO, if it had been printed at rare, people wouldn't have been so slow to push hard in it. Printing it at uncommon was good for my Peasant cube and for player's wallets, but the card is rare-worthy and would have imprinted itself on our collective conscious a little differently had that been the case.

Plus, it's hard to get excited about an uncommon reprint; the game would have to continue growing at a ridiculous pace for the card to become scarce enough for a reprint to be a big deal.

G.ZZZ

Okay guys i'd like a bit of help with a little work of mine.
Basically i want to record some cockatrice games while i test Survival lists vs Current Legacy decks. So i'd like to know which programs are good to record (i've found EZvideo but it seems a freeware turd) and upload videos and if someone would be available to play with me on cockatrice, you may play any decks from current legacy (i'd rather have the most representative like Patriot, Delver, Elves! played but whatever is ok etc...).
The base for my survival list would be CalebD Banned series's list, with maybe some adjustment especially in the SB. For those unaware the list is:

1 Loyal Retainers
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
3 Vengevine
4 Survival of the Fittest
4 Deathrite Shaman
3 Fauna Shaman
2 Basking Rootwalla
4 Knight of the Reliquary
1 Maze of Ith
1 Horizon Canopy
3 Savannah
4 Windswept Heath
2 Bayou
4 Wasteland
4 Swords to Plowshares
1 Karakas
1 Noble Hierarch
4 Mother of Runes
3 Misty Rainforest
2 Forest
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Qasali Pridemage
2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Umezawa's Jitte
SB: 2 Abrupt Decay
SB: 1 Ethersworn Canonist
SB: 2 Gaddock Teeg
SB: 2 Spirit of the Labyrinth
SB: 2 Phyrexian Revoker
SB: 4 Thoughtseize
SB: 2 Sylvan Library

Thanks a lot boys.

EDIT: ok i found a good recording program, now i just need some playtest partners

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'll never understand the appeal of these huge cramped tournaments. I guess I just get tired of playing Magic after 5 rounds.

As for the clan stuff, I take it that the Timey Wimey set is going to just have clan stuff in the centered-color.

Got my deck all tuned and ready for the PTQ season ^_^

Rainbow Bogles

Creature (12):
  • 4x Gladecover Scout
  • 4x Invisible Stalker
  • 4x Slippery Bogle

Enchantment (23):
  • 4x Daybreak Coronet
  • 4x Ethereal Armor
  • 3x Hyena Umbra
  • 4x Madcap Skills
  • 4x Rancor
  • 3x Spider Umbra
  • 1x Spirit Link

Spells(6):
  • 3x Boros Charm
  • 3x Path to Exile

Land (19)
  • 3x City of Brass
  • 4x Gemstone Mine
  • 4x Horizon Canopy
  • 4x Mana Confluence
  • 4x Razorverge Thicket

Sideboard (15)
  • 1x Grafdigger's Cage
  • 4x Inquisition of Kozilek
  • 4x Leyline of Sanctity
  • 1x Path to Exile
  • 3x Stony Silence
  • 2x Suppression Field

I'll never understand the appeal of these huge cramped tournaments. I guess I just get tired of playing Magic after 5 rounds.

As for the clan stuff, I take it that the Timey Wimey set is going to just have clan stuff in the centered-color.

I'm the opposite. I don't get people who talk about energy levels when it comes to deck choices and stuff. I've played 10 Rounds of Esper Control and never felt any worse than when I started. Magic is fun. I'm usually the guy playing other people under the table in our playgroup, though.

bigkrev

The perfect event were the old prereleases. There would be hundreds of players to trade/casual with, dealers to buy and sell, and the actual tournaments were held in flights that were 4 or 5 rounds

red13th

My favourite Mark Roswater article is Head Games, it's written sort of like those awful wedge colour articles except it's good. Imitation is my favourite btw, although Passion is fun in her own way.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";139267996]Got my deck all tuned and ready for the PTQ season ^_^

Rainbow Bogles

Creature (12):
  • 4x Gladecover Scout
  • 4x Invisible Stalker
  • 4x Slippery Bogle

Enchantment (23):
  • 4x Daybreak Coronet
  • 4x Ethereal Armor
  • 3x Hyena Umbra
  • 4x Madcap Skills
  • 4x Rancor
  • 3x Spider Umbra
  • 1x Spirit Link

Spells(6):
  • 3x Boros Charm
  • 3x Path to Exile

Land (19)
  • 3x City of Brass
  • 4x Gemstone Mine
  • 4x Horizon Canopy
  • 4x Mana Confluence
  • 4x Razorverge Thicket

Sideboard (15)
  • 1x Grafdigger's Cage
  • 4x Inquisition of Kozilek
  • 4x Leyline of Sanctity
  • 1x Path to Exile
  • 3x Stony Silence
  • 2x Suppression Field

I'm the opposite. I don't get people who talk about energy levels when it comes to deck choices and stuff. I've played 10 Rounds of Esper Control and never felt any worse than when I started. Magic is fun. I'm usually the guy playing other people under the table in our playgroup, though.[/QUOTE]

I just don't like Magic enough to play it all day long. Then again, I frequently drop at FNM to go get some beer at the local bar. Its too bad the LGS doesn't have its own beer.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I just don't like Magic enough to play it all day long. Then again, I frequently drop at FNM to go get some beer at the local bar. Its too bad the LGS doesn't have its own beer.

The first card shop to be 21+ with beer and french fries will be the place I want my ashes to be scattered.

Angry Grimace

My favourite Mark Roswater article is Head Games, it's written sort of like those awful wedge colour articles except it's good. Imitation is my favourite btw, although Passion is fun in her own way.

I don't know Maro personally, but I bet you anything if you took him to the local bar for a few pints, he'd be full-bore bitching about Hornet Queen and shit.

MjFrancis

I drop because I get up for work at 12:30am, 2:30am, or 4:30am depending on my shift and I'm dead tired by the time FNM rolls around. The prize pool is extremely aggressive at my local store and so if I'm no longer able to place at least third I'll pack up and go home at that point more often than not.

Sleep is precious, and MtG is still a hobby for me and not a lifestyle. I'd rather have the energy to take my family hiking on Saturday morning or train in my gym that stay up late. I need an FNM that starts at three or four in the afternoon, lol.

WanderingWind

I-want-to-go-to-there.jpg

f0rk

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";139267996]Got my deck all tuned and ready for the PTQ season ^_^[/QUOTE]

That mana base...

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";139271791]We don't got time to worry about no damage in a bogles deck.[/QUOTE]

I do think that's going to be where you drop your one match. A burn player who has no choice buy to dome you while you're shocking yourself every turn and whatnot. Other than that, this is exactly my kind of deck. Quick kills, semi-combo and just pure hate against the biggest decks going.

Well, no Relic for Cruise/Dig decks, but hey.

I do think that's going to be where you drop your one match. A burn player who has no choice buy to dome you while you're shocking yourself every turn and whatnot. Other than that, this is exactly my kind of deck. Quick kills, semi-combo and just pure hate against the biggest decks going.

Well, no Relic for Cruise/Dig decks, but hey.
I've never lost to burn with this deck. Leyline and lifelink are unbeatable. Junk decks with liliana and spirit tokens are the worst match. Thought seize when I'm on the draw game one is ggs.

Too bad he explore the color pie in his articles then give red direct damage and nothing els... zzz
sleeping.gif

Huh? In the just past few years, red has gotten card filtering and "temporary card draw". And besides, "direct damage" does cover a huge suite of abilities when "damage" is one of the main interactions in the game. What do you think red is lacking right now?

bigkrev

Did Geordie Tait loose his mind or something

He's one of 2 MTG people I have blocked on Twitter, with Drew Levin being the other

kirblar

Yeah, Tait is a malignant narcissist that they are absolutely right to distance themselves from. So is the idiot whose DOTP review they pulled today after he got exposed as a GG twitter harasser.

Tait lost it years ago, he's horrible.

Angry Grimace

That's quite a hill to die on.

Disclosure: I know literally nothing about gamergate; my ignorance on the topic is a intentional and conscious decision because it sounds like a huge clusterfuck of stupid fake drama I don't care about.

Too bad he explore the color pie in his articles then give red direct damage and nothing els... zzz
sleeping.gif

Red has DD, sort-of land destruction (this has suffered in the modern era), efficient artifact destruction with upsides, card filtering, fleeting card advantage (Chandra Pyromaster's +1 and that card in M15 that does the same thing x3), mass chaos-causing cards, general instant/sorcery manipulation, artifact tinkering effects, and temporary creature copies. It's doing alright mechanically, I think.

Green is the real loser in terms of color abilities, but that's been masked lately by the ramping up of creature power combined with green being the color with the best overall creatures.

kirblar

So, I read the entire Tait thing http://archive.today/W2kyB#selection-1185.100-1197.149

Wish I hadn't!
a passionate argument about how Gamergate is worse than the Holocaust
There are people for whom the actual originally intended use of the "SJW" label applies- he's one of them. But since that label's been muddied down to the point of irellevance- I suggest "self-aggrandizing asshole narcissist" instead- can be used for people on either side of identity-related issues who engage in terrible behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom