• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but I like having 4 Brainstorms in my deck.

The problem with Vintage is that it's a bunch of expensive singletons and a bunch of degenerate combos. Sounds like commander to me.

"Yay, look at all the money I spent so that I could play against the other three people who care!" - every Commander Vintage player ever.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";139707007]Sorry, but I like having 4 Brainstorms in my deck.

The problem with Vintage is that it's a bunch of expensive singletons and a bunch of degenerate combos. Sounds like commander to me.

"Yay, look at all the money I spent so that I could play against the other three people who care!" - every Commander Vintage player ever.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any idea how insanely asinine it is to complain about degenerate combos and cost of entry when you play fucking Legacy? Legacy is like the Junior-circuit of degenerate combos for people who want to pretend they're playing with every Magic card. Have fun Brainstorming, though; I'll be over here recalling the Ancestors and not putting those cards back.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";139722631]So how's protecting your hand against duress with Ancestral Recall working out for you? :p[/QUOTE]

You just protect it with Mental Misstep instead

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";139722631]So how's protecting your hand against duress with Ancestral Recall working out for you? :p[/QUOTE]

You use Mental Misstep. Also, we have Yawgmoth's Will to play said card out of the GY if we really want.

It isn't the Power Nine that make the format fun. Most of the Power Nine are just generically overpowered rather than overpowered in some practice.

Yeef

cardart_disdainfulstroke_prm.jpg

So after seeing the Disdainful Stroke promo (above), I'm thinking each clan is going to have a different dragon design based on what they revere about dragons. The one in this promo has very prominent scales, so it's probably the Abzan-type dragon. The one in the Dragons of Tarkir key art has very prominent wings and is riding with the Mardu. Curious to see what the other designs look like.

hdsysd7e3j_KEYART.jpg

Matriox

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";139748932]Crop Rotation is really, really fun.[/QUOTE]

Love me some crop rotation.. Bought a couple copies last week just because I love it in all of my edh decks that can play it.

Toxi

Banned
Saying that red doesn't have enough non-burn effects that are playable in Legacy and Modern is different than saying they don't exist at all. Besides, even though we use the term "burn" for all of it, direct damage covers a huge variety of effects.

All of these deal damage and nothing else (well, besides exiling), but would all be used under different circumstances and require different decks to use effectively.
Direct damage does three things.

Life loss.
Targeted creature removal (Limited by size)
Mass creature removal (Limited by size)

Yes, there are variations like whether it's repeatable and how big the creature you can remove is, but it's not that versatile.

bigkrev

SCG Circuit changes

• Saturday event now is 2 days- 9 rounds of Swiss, cut to day 2, 6 more rounds, and then a cut to Top 8
  • Prize support is doubled- Winning an SCG Open now pays more in cash (5000) than winning a Grand Prix (4000)
  • While most Opens are standard, they have 3 Legacy ones scheduled for the first half of 2015, and 2 Modern ones as well
  • Sunday will now have 2 5K IQ qualifiers- Legacy and Modern (with Standard subbed in if the Saturday is either Standard or Legacy)
  • You can now earn Byes for the Open events- Top 16 leaderboard gets 2, Top 32 gets 1, and Open trials winners get 1.
  • Entry Fee is raised to $50
  • Half of the invitationals are switching to Standard/Modern

Happy with everything but the entry fee. As someone who has zero interest in ever playing Legacy, the fact that the Invitational is now something I WANT to get to makes a huge difference to me.

kirblar

If you were playing both days anyway, the entry fee isn't changing, just the distribution. 40 + 40 = 50 + 30 (if you scrub out.)

I realized that one interesting thing red could do is to replace or switch spells with other things. Obviously blue could probably do this, but that would be boring. Like:

Replace with Lightning Bolt - R
Instant
Change target instant or sorcery spell to a red instant with "This spell deals 3 damage to target creature or player." That spell's controller may choose a new target for that spell.

What? Wasn't I Already Here? - 2RR
Instant
Switch target creature spell with a nontoken creature on the battlefield. This switch does not cause "enter the battlefield" abilities to trigger. (The creature that was on the battlefield will be under the control of the player that cast the creature spell. The creature that was on the battlefield is not cast. That creature will cause "enter the battlefield" abilities to trigger when it enters the battlefield.)

Replace with Char or Psionic Blast - 2(U/R)
Instant
Change target instant or sorcery spell to a red and blue instant with "This spell deals 4 damage to target creature or player and 2 damage to you." That spell's controller may choose a new target for that spell.

Switch with Older Spell - 1R
Instant
Switch target instant or sorcery spell with an instant or sorcery card in that spell's controller's graveyard. That spell's controller may choose new targets for that spell. (The switched spell is not cast.)

This would only happen at rare, of course.

kirblar

There was a 4000 person legacy tournament and nothing really changed in price.

I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing
The Legacy tournament was a literal freeroll for anyone playing. :p You could make $20 on your swag immediately after the player meeting.

Without Legacy on Sunday, how will I get my weekly reminder of how much I hate the format?

(I liked it better when they banned broken things instead of trying to print around them, which has resulted in having both broken combo and broken "fair" strategies, so it's like a really shitty form of vintage)

Here's a red card that I dreamed up that can probably never get printed because the templating is too weird:

Deconvolve XRR
Instant
Choose target spell with X in its mana cost. The X of that spell becomes the X of Decompile. You may change the targets of that spell.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Here's a red card that I dreamed up that can probably never get printed because the templating is too weird:

Deconvolve XRR
Instant
Choose target spell with X in its mana cost. The X of that spell becomes the X of Decompile. You may change the targets of that spell.

Referencing X in a mana cost can be done, see Rosheen Meanderer. I don't think you can change it once its on the stack but you might be able to do it as:

"Counter target spell with X in its mana cost and copy it. You may select new targets for the copy and X is the value paid for Deconvolve's cost"

ultron87

It will be interesting to see if they can start generating Grand Prix sized attendance for the Opens now. Obviously they don't have the whole "make the Pro Tour" thing as part of the prize, but I don't feel like that is a big motivator for most GP attendees.

Angry Grimace

Lightning Dragons are always kickin' rad. Mardu gonna own in Fate Reforged.

kirblar

It will be interesting to see if they can start generating Grand Prix sized attendance for the Opens now. Obviously they don't have the whole "make the Pro Tour" thing as part of the prize, but I don't feel like that is a big motivator for most GP attendees.
Their Invitationals now look underfunded.

Angry Grimace

Deconvolve XRR
Instant

This is a card that totally could exist and totally should be red, but would be blue because lolblue

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's time for an NFC and AFC style merger. Both sets of tournaments feed into the protour and the eventually the WCs of Magic.

WanderingWind

SCG doesn't want to deal with Hasbro's corporate stuff. Private ownership ftw.

That's what eventually became the AFC said once upon a time. Now the NFL is a bajillion a day industry. They may not want to, but both sides could learn lessons from each other and it would make the mess of a tourney scene awesome.

OnPoint

This sucks. I vastly prefer the coverage of Legacy to that of Standard. I guess I'll be watching a lot less Magic on the weekends.

kirblar

That's what eventually became the AFC said once upon a time. Now the NFL is a bajillion a day industry. They may not want to, but both sides could learn lessons from each other and it would make the mess of a tourney scene awesome.
Hasbro doesn't understand what they have in MTG and why it's not a seasonal toy.

ultron87

So I Dualcaster Mage'd my opponent's Rise from the Grave.

I choose what to reanimate before he chooses, right?

Opponent chooses what they are animating when the spell is first cast. If you copy it you can pick the same thing and you'll get it and their original fizzles.

Wichu

So I Dualcaster Mage'd my opponent's Rise from the Grave.

I choose what to reanimate before he chooses, right?

Nope, targets are chosen as the spell is cast. However, your copy will resolve first, so if you choose to target the same creature then you'll get it first and your opponent's Rise from the Grave will be countered due to illegal targets.

EDIT: Beaten.

I was thinking that exchanging blockers might be a good thing to bring to red, since it could appear below rare, like this:

That Part in Buddy Action Movies Where They Each Hit the Guy Behind the Other - 1R
Instant
Choose two target blocked creatures you control. They gain first strike until end of turn. Exchange blockers for those creatures. (This will not cause abilities triggered by blocking to trigger.)

But looking on Gatherer, it looks like every effect to switch blockers is really complicated. Is it really the case that there's no simple way to word this effect?

WanderingWind

Red could just have more Pyroclasm/Whipflare's. People weren't bitching so hard when those were in standard.

Plus, red still has way more of the usable pie than green.

Angry Grimace

Oh god so it was worse for him than I thought. I thought you chose when the spell was confirmed.

Thanks!

Anything that targets gets the target chosen when it is put on the stack. Its sort of like when someone tries to Bile Blight your Zombies so you Bolt the targetted zombie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom