• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Fate Reforged and Dragons of Tarkir follow the pattern I suggested earlier, with the former having new clan mechanics and the latter bringing back the Khans clan mechanics but attributed to different clans, then I think these swaps might work, assuming the flavors of the clans change with the new present but have the same colors.

DISCLAIMER: The hypotheses of "5 new mechanics in Fate Reforged, Khans mechanics in Dragons of Tarkir", "5 new in Fate Reforged, Fate Reforged mechanics in Dragons", "Mix of old and new in Fate Reforged, same mix in Dragons", and "5 new in Fate Reforged, 5 new in Dragons" all can't be rejected out of hand without more information. There is currently not much of a point in arguing about which one is more likely to happen.

Abzan - Raid - Red loses this, and green gains it. Abzan is now more aggressive, but in a righteous way, as compared to Mardu.
Sultai - Outlast - White loses this, and blue gains it. Compared to the opulence the Khans version of Sultai has, the Dragons version has a harsher lifestyle.
Temur - Delve - Black loses this, and red gains it. This will tie in more with green's reverence of the past, as compared to Sultai taking advantage of the dead. It was mentioned in some flavor article that the Temur used to be slaves of the Sultai who were able to escape, so maybe in Dragons world, they are the ones who are rich.
Jeskai - Ferocious - Green loses this, and white gains it. I feel like ferocious in white is awkward, but no more than blue. In the Dragons world, the rulers are the Efreet, who now accept their violent tendencies; the Planeswalker's Guide went into too much detail about them for them to not be relevant.
Mardu - Prowess - Blue loses this, black gains it. While still liking to fight, the Mardu are now more tricky about it instead of attacking straight on.

Alternatively, if you tie mechanics to the lead color of each clan, then change the lead color of each clan to the shared enemy color, you get:

Abzan - Delve - Blue loses this, white gains it.
Jeskai - Raid - Black loses this, blue gains it.
Sultai - Ferocious - Red loses this, black gains it.
Mardu - Outlast - Green loses this, red gains it.
Temur - Prowess - White loses this, green gains it.

Though this provides a greater contrast, raid in blue and outlast in red in particular seem really unfitting.

ultron87

Holiday Cube Attempt 2:

t3dXwaj.jpg

Seems too fair.

Man, I thought I had a fun BW Pod deck in the holiday cube, proceeded to get stomped by Living End and Eldrazi. I should at least look up the spoiler lol, I'm so bad at this format.

bwpodcqps9.png

Bloodghast into Pod just isn't that good when your opponent plays a turn-2 Freyalise.

ultron87

Argh, that was miserable. I probably should've cut two Mountains and put in more Plains. Had too much trouble getting double white. Probably wouldn've dropped the Hero then, but that wouldn't be that big a loss.

Finally got a good aggressive start to try and at least win the third round. Then opponent plays a Moat. *cries* Then fire off a Spectral Procession a few turns later, to maybe, just maybe, continue attacking and they play Elesh Norn. Stupid cube.

Firemind

I believe I only drafted a sword once and that deck had like twelve creatures. Don't get me wrong, swords are great, just not first picks. Pod is obviously too slow and conditional for powered cube. Bloodghast is only playable if you have Recurring Nightmare. Karn is awesome, but when you can't power it out early, it's not as insane as it should be.

I look for the following cards pack one:
- unconditional artifacts that can generate more mana than they cost (basically every artifact save for lotus bloom and led)
- blue value cards (recall, sphinx, jtms, mana drain, treachery, time walk, fact or fiction, even thirst for knowledge if there's nothing else since blue is by far the best colour)
- good standalone black cards (demonic tutor, mind twist, vampiric tutor/imperial seal if I feel like comboing)
- combo creatures (emrakul, griselbrand, kiki-jiki, blightsteel, ulamog, kozilek)
- enablers (tinker, upheaval, sneak attack, recurring nightmare, channel, tezzeret)
- karn (wurmcoil and batterskull are fine)
- library of alexandria (blue fetches/duals are fine)
- storm cards (yawgmoth's will, time spiral, tendrils, time twister)
- slower mana (thran dynamo, worn powerstone, coalition relic, gilded lotus, blue signets, metalworker, birds of paradise, hierarch)
- aggro cards (tnn, jitte, sulfuric vortex)
- last but not least, time vault

Rest is chaff.

Bloodghast is also great with Clamp.

And the UG Sword is first-pickable (out of an otherwise weak pack) due to the clock it puts on your opponent, but the other swords really aren't.

ElyrionX

Building my third EDH deck now (Animar). I am liking this format more and more.

First two were Avacyn Solder Tokens Artifacts and Niv Mizzet Combo Control.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";144488542]Man, I thought I had a fun BW Pod deck in the holiday cube, proceeded to get stomped by Living End and Eldrazi. I should at least look up the spoiler lol, I'm so bad at this format.

bwpodcqps9.png

Bloodghast into Pod just isn't that good when your opponent plays a turn-2 Freyalise.[/QUOTE]

Being bad at a format is when you know its time to queue Swiss. I'm pretty insistent on Swiss in Cube because the deck is usually fun and you want more chances at it, not to mention, I'm bad at limited in general, so obviously I'm bad at Cube. Does MTGO let you group queue, like we could get everyone on MagicGAF into a queue for a Cube? I've never seen an option like that, but you would think it would exist.

It doesn't exist because they don't want collusion. Personally, I think there should be a group draft option that doesn't give out QPs, but right now the only way is to try to coordinate a simultaneous jump into the queue.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It doesn't exist because they don't want collusion. Personally, I think there should be a group draft option that doesn't give out QPs, but right now the only way is to try to coordinate a simultaneous jump into the queue.

Ah, yes QPs, forgot about those.

Also, MTGO apparently has a "whitelist" that gives better draws to Luis Scott-Vargas. Its true, you can tell since his computer can stream MTGO and play it at the same time whereas my computer can barely run it.

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/546433105314451456/photo/1

Angry Grimace

Daaaaaamn. u salty.

Eternal players always seemed more stuck-up than most players.

Some dude on modo got really pissed at me the other day for a really awesome topdeck in a KTK, like I forced it to happen. My recollection was that he Cut some big dude I had on the field leaving me with nothing but a couple Goblin tokens to block his big dude, and then I cast a Butcher and gave it haste.

Crocodile

Owen think Ghitu Encampent hasn't aged well and shouldn't be in the cube. I suspect he's not wrong.

Can't speak too much on Holiday Cube (especially since its kind of a Time Vault or bust format :p) but the card still does work in Legacy Cube and most Cubes it can be played in. Halfway decent man-lands are just plain good cards full stop.

Matriox

Well I hope you guys are having a great Christmas or Christmas Eve, I'm stuck at work due to a giant wind storm that drilled through Ohio lol.

Firemind

I think I may have figured out why holding ctrl to retain priority doesn't work properly. It is entirely possible that you have to HOLD the CTRL key before you CLICK on the spell you want to cast instead of HOLD the CTRL key before you CAST the spell. Knowing MTGO, this is exactly how it works. Otherwise this shit makes no fucking sense. I swear to god I've been trolled again by virtue of having LED in my deck.

kirblar

It's 8 mana. Yes, he's very good, he's a removal factory. But unless you can get to 8 reliably and quickly, he doesn't do enough.

Functionally, Ugin is really just a variant of All Is Dust. It's a sweet card, but it's clearly been costed to not be a cornerstone of any Constructed strategy.

ultron87

Does Tron often end up with exactly 7 mana with a Tower, a Plant and a Mine? Otherwise Ugin seems pretty good in that slot to replace Karn.

How do I enter constructed stuff on MODO? I built a crappy deck with my draft leftovers, but I couldn't figure out how to enter a pauper two-man with it:

paupc5pbz.png

Is pauper commons only, maybe?

ElyrionX

Does Tron often end up with exactly 7 mana with a Tower, a Plant and a Mine? Otherwise Ugin seems pretty good in that slot to replace Karn.

Not all that often. Plus they may not have Karn in hand to cast as well. Talking about RG variant. Not much experience against U Tron so I'm not too sure about that one.

Yeef

Ugin is pretty sweet I just want to know how 8 mana happens. There has to be some kind of ramp coming
It's not that rare for people to hard-cast Hornet Queen in this format and that's 7. Getting up to 8 doesn't seem like it'll be that much harder; especially for the devotion decks.

That said, I'd love to see something that either reduces the cost of your colorless spells or taps for colorless mana based on the number of colorless nonland permanents you have.

It's not that rare for people to hard-cast Hornet Queen in this format and that's 7. Getting up to 8 doesn't seem like it'll be that much harder; especially for the devotion decks.

That said, I'd love to see something that either reduces the cost of your colorless spells or taps for colorless mana based on the number of colorless nonland permanents you have.
Devotion is one thing, but every mana you add it gets exponentially more difficult to cast something. Hornet Queen is castable, but I'd lose a lot more games if it cost one more mana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom