• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrinck

Not all that often. Plus they may not have Karn in hand to cast as well. Talking about RG variant. Not much experience against U Tron so I'm not too sure about that one.
Karn is a lot more useful on RG Tron since it's also annoying versus combo while Ugin is pretty useless but he could probably replace All is Dust.
On U Tron, Ugin is a lot more useful since it's an Oblivion Stone that sticks around though I'm not sure if U Tron really needs that since some of it's worst match ups really don't care about Ugin (Affinity and Burn)

I wonder, would a Primeval Titan reprint bring Ugin into the constructed playable range? Or would it just be the case that that deck would just use Prime Time as the finisher?

Kerrinck

I wonder, would a Primeval Titan reprint bring Ugin into the constructed playable range? Or would it just be the case that that deck would just use Prime Time as the finisher?
Titan reprint would be awesome since I love that card but I kinda doubt it since we already have the Soul cycle.
And yeah, Prime Time probably wouldn't be enough since we don't have any utility lands similar to Kessig and Valakut anymore.

Grakl

en_w54r4t295i.png

Meh. Also, you can get the KTK common duals or fetches in the FRF land slot.
So cooooool.

I actually was thinking that Primeval Titan would be a serious possibility, but then I realized that it would completely outclass Sidisi and Surrak in their own decks (even with the mana cost differences), which I imagine Wizards wouldn't want.

Firemind

I dunno I think the art is kind of ugly tbf

Why is his whole body in turquoise? I know he's a spirit and all, but he looks more like a jade statue of a mountain goat crossed with a bird lizard snake.

Firemind

Well duh Bolas looks coolest. You're still wrong about Ugin though.
My initial impression of Ugin when he was introduced in Zendikar was that of a mythical spirit dragon design like Eternal Dragon.

This though looks like a cartoon villain. How can anyone take this design seriously and think this, whatever it is, has sealed away the Eldrazi titans with its breath?

Been messing around with Grixis decks in the new player drafts to waste away my new player points lol

grixisvysq4.png

It's kind of interesting because black has great cards and terrible cards making the base a bit weak, but the cheap spells work great as a splash color for blue-based prowess decks. UR uses Dead Drop a lot better than the black clans do lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Morph cards are colorless

Ugin is associated with colorless Magic from Zendikar

Morphs return as a manifestation of Ugin's magical power

Okay that was pretty clever

I mean

8 mana

I'd want to see what runs this

I'd want to try him out in the rampy monogreen devotion deck if that's still a thing, and depending on how other stuff shakes out he could be a very solid late drop in a control deck.

Also, the fact that the ally fetch lands can appear in the basic land slot for Fate Reforged seems to mean that the other fetch lands won't be appearing in this set. I still believe that Dragons of Tarkir is where the enemy fetch lands will be reprinted.

It's pretty rare for them to put five duals in a small set given how that fucks with the supply, so I never really thought they would do that. DTK makes more sense as a landing point for those.

It's way too cheeky so I doubt it would happen, but I did like the idea someone had that they might include both KTK ally fetches (with the KTK symbol) and DTK enemy fetches (with the DTK symbol) in that slot.

LOL the ultimate is just the reverse of Bolas's ultimate. And the plus is Ghostfire. Talk about uninspired.

Wow, they made a card for an established character and all the abilities play off that character's traits, who'd have thought?

Slight flavor fail that Ugin can't do anything to Eldrazi.

Well, the whole story is that none of them can do anything to the Eldrazi directly which is why they have to give 'em a bad seal job. He gets closer than Nahiri does, anyway.

Anyway, I think they make up for that with the fact that Ugin loses in a 1-on-1 fight against Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker, but wins if Sarkhan the Dragonspeaker joins him.

Man, I was watching Paul Cheon play the holiday cube and you guys are totally right. He made a UW control deck that has a worse mana curve than mine, basically no countermagic or mana fixing and overall looks like a funky deck that went wrong.

But he has mana rocks, upheaval and Time Vault. And nothing else seems to matter. Definitely learning here lol

Also, I can admit this while Grimace is gone, but Library of Alexandria is totally more fun than Brainstorm.

Firemind

Wow, they made a card for an established character and all the abilities play off that character's traits, who'd have thought?
1) Bolas has no equal; 2) Ugin isn't even from Dominaria and looks silly for what is supposed to be a pre-mending planeswalker and; 3) the number seven is quite arbitrary, don't you think? Yes, the maximum hand size is seven, but Cruel Ultimatum didn't have parity between its effects. The first time Nicol Bolas, the Planeswalker got spoiled, I was surprised how arbitrary its ultimate was. I suppose when you design planeswalkers, at some point you're going to stumble on coming up with world shattering abilities. Gain a 100 life, mill 20 cards, draw 20 cards? Okay. Whatever you say.

1) Bolas has no equal; 2) Ugin isn't even from Dominaria and looks silly for what is supposed to be a pre-mending planeswalker and; 3) the number seven is quite arbitrary, don't you think? Yes, the maximum hand size is seven, but Cruel Ultimatum didn't have parity between its effects. The first time Nicol Bolas, the Planeswalker got spoiled, I was surprised how arbitrary its ultimate was. I suppose when you design planeswalkers, at some point you're going to stumble on coming up with world shattering abilities. Gain a 100 life, mill 20 cards, draw 20 cards? Okay. Whatever you say.

Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker's ultimate makes you take seven damage and discard seven cards because getting hit with Nicol Bolas, Elder Dragon Legend makes you take seven damage and discard seven cards. Get on our level, bro?

Firemind

well, that actually makes sense. ugin is still a stupid card tho. :p

not sure if I want it in my dragon tribal edh deck. i guess pernicious deeding enchantments is useful to have but it just looks so stupid!

THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT

I made a decent deck for the limited PTQ an with 3 minutes on the clock I'm about to start building the mana base and all of the sudden I'm in a match with a 140 card deck this fucking SUCKS.

All I needed to do was click on the add lands button and shift maybe one or two from recommended:

4cm4pvh.png

Joe Molotov

I decided to download MTGO to play around with, I was playing a Newbie Draft, I lost the first game, won the second game, third game was just starting and I'm in a good position, and all of sudden a box pops up that says the other person won. I'm not sure what happened, is there a way to accidentally click something to concede a match? I didn't open the right-click menu, I know you can concede from there. Is it because the time was up for the match? I wasn't paying attention to the time, so it could have been that, but there was nothing saying that time was about to run out, and also we were both still at 20 life. Maybe he played a dual-land and got to 21. Is there anything you can go back and look at that shows you what happened in a game?

Whoo, my cube draft skillz are upgrading thanks to you guys and CFB. Built this sweet-ass Rakdos Reanimator deck to a solid 2-1 finish, it's a new record lol

4cecusf.png

Won against UW control, lost against another UW control player, then beat mono-green stompy. Unfortunately I didn't draw any enablers both games against the second control player and got stuck with disruption and no way to take advantage of opportunities. Then he played a Karakas with the only creature in my hand being Griselbrand and me being stuck at 6 mana. -_-

Also, the mono green player dumped an Avenger of Zendikar after I discarded a Massacre Wurm LOL

I also trolled him by drawing a new hand with Griselbrand and discarding it with putrid imp just to give it +1/+1 hahahaha

Bazaar of Baghdad. So hot right now.

I also just got a cube reanimator deck to go 2-1. Pro tip: when your opponent has a necromancy don't use your thoughtseize on a big creature.

Also mana vault is busted.

Joe Molotov

I decided to download MTGO to play around with, I was playing a Newbie Draft, I lost the first game, won the second game, third game was just starting and I'm in a good position, and all of sudden a box pops up that says the other person won. I'm not sure what happened, is there a way to accidentally click something to concede a match? I didn't open the right-click menu, I know you can concede from there. Is it because the time was up for the match? I wasn't paying attention to the time, so it could have been that, but there was nothing saying that time was about to run out, and also we were both still at 20 life. Maybe he played a dual-land and got to 21. Is there anything you can go back and look at that shows you what happened in a game?

Oh okay, I see. Each person gets 25 minutes to complete the entire round, and if your timer runs out you automatically forfeit the whole round. Meh.

OnPoint

I should have suggested this yesterday, but we should imagine names for future christmas cards that will someday come down the pipe. I tried for one of each color, some are better than others lol

• Christmas Command
  • Courser of Kringle
  • Goblin Sky Sled
  • Snowforge Giftic
  • Hark, Confidant!
  • Sword of Happiness and Cheer

Merry belated Xmas MagiGAF, I hope you guys got awesome stuff. I'll post some pics later, I got some cool things from the lady.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";144881599]losing in the finals of Phantom Sealed only gets you 8 Phantom Points? The fuck do I do with 8 Phantom points?[/QUOTE]
Cubing.

aw yiss let's do this shit.

edit: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

wizards had to be trolling to include time vault in the holiday cube. my opponent, the good sport he or she is, didn't concede immediately. god it feels great to take infinite turns.

edit2: holy shit again

it's truly a christmas miracle.

Lucario

Just gave the Duel Deck Anthology to my niece & nephews. They got so incredibly hyped! My sister was telling them to not bring gifts back to the hotel, and they gladly ditched everything else, but insisted on bringing the Anthology so they could play tonight.

Made me smile. They'd never played magic before, but picked it up really fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom