• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriox

It's a Ken Nagle set with ten new legends and ten crazy modal spells, I don't think you're gonna be lacking in those. :p

Nobody ever said I wasn't greedy. Hell I play 5c in standard.

EDIT: Have to admit though, I didn't fully read Manifest apparently, because the first time I glanced over it I missed the whole Flip for its mana cost thing.

So what happens when you manifest a non-creature spell? It says you can flip it up if it's a creature card, and if not? The card remains as a 2/2 creature for the rest of the game?

Or until it leaves the battlefield, at which point it just gets revealed and runs off to wherever.

I'm going to need to do some reading on the story of this current cycle. I read the MtG story post higher up on the page but the only thing I knew about the world of this cycle was that dragons no longer existed. Looks like that is changing in Fate Reforged.

Khans of Tarkir is the 1980s at the beginning of Back to the Future when Marty's life is shitty and his family is screwed up.

Fate Reforged is the 1950s where he goes back and futzes around with things such that his dad stands up for himself instead of being a dweeb.

Dragons of Tarkir is the new alternate 1980s where Marty's family is awesome and Biff is a loser.

ultron87

Manifest seems like such a bad idea- it practically invites cheating on the FNM level where there aren't always judges.
In what way does it invite cheating? You think people will play fake morphs just because they also manifested some stuff at a point in the game?

Manifest seems like such a bad idea- it practically invites cheating on the FNM level where there aren't always judges.

People said this about morph too, and yet the biggest problem with morph hasn't been people cheating with it, but rather the rules designed to counteract said cheating being exploited in tournament settings.

Ultimately, there isn't much you can do to cheat with manifest that you couldn't already do if you're good at sleight of hand. It doesn't matter what a card is when you manifest it, so it's actually missing the "play a face-down card you shouldn't be able to" problem that morph has. Unless your opponent has been looking at your deck, every manifest you get is basically equivalent in their mind, so there's usually no strategic benefit to misleading your opponent about which manifest entered the battlefield when.

The best cheat I can come up with is playing a morph, then swapping it with a DIFFERENT morph creature you manifested so that you can turn it face up for its mana cost instead of its morph cost, which... is a lot of effort for a small benefit that will come up pretty rarely? Let me know if I'm missing something obvious here.

kirblar

The Siege cycle of rare enchantments shows a spectacular battle between a clan and a dragon brood lineage. Outpost Siege depicts the dragon lord Kolaghan and his sonic four-winged lightning brood attacking a Mardu outpost. They are in essence the "red" clans because of their dominant color.

This "modal enchantment" cycle uses new technology written into the comprehensive rules specifically for them, allowing the Khans/Dragons ability words to decide the enchantment's mode. The design's structure remained intact since going into the file.
The "Ally clans" will have brood-names, it sounds like.

After failing to 3-0 a single Legacy cube, I 3-0d my very first Holiday cube this season (after finally finding time to play). Feels good.

1veB5dr.jpg

The Dash bouncing it back to the hand. I don't personally hate it for edh, might be nice as a commander to just bash in quick, just what I think hes referring to.

Doesn't it actually work pretty well? Dash is an alternate play cost, so you can play it from the command zone just like you can with morph, and having your commander return to your hand is actually better since you dodge the tax the next time you play him.

So what happens when you manifest a non-creature spell? It says you can flip it up if it's a creature card, and if not? The card remains as a 2/2 creature for the rest of the game?

You can't "unmorph" it if it's a noncreature. There are some cards that can turn up face-down cards, and here's what the mechanics article says:
A few older cards turn a face-down creature face up. If you manifest an instant or sorcery card, and one of these older cards tries to turn it face up, reveal the card and it stays on the battlefield face down.

Anyway, I'll eat crow and admit I was wrong about Fate having five new mechanics, though I was pretty close on my guess about the Mardu. Notably, the design article implies pretty hard that delve will not be in Dragons of Tarkir, so I guess every returning mechanic in this set will be replaced.
While it was a clever reward when played alongside the myriad delve cards in Khans of Tarkir, it became too blank during the later draft format.

MaRo's article implies that morph itself will be returning in Dragons of Tarkir.
Here's what Mechanic X needed:

Set 1: The mechanic would just do its thing.
Set 2: We could create a proto-version of the mechanic. Something that felt like it existed before the mechanic in Set 1.
Set 3: We see the mechanic from Set 1 but not quite the same, because things went a little differently in this timeline.

I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised at the complaining about the mechanics in this topic, but alas I was. Manifest is really neat, and guys, you're getting 2/2 creatures that may have a huge benefit. There is the problem that you'd have to separate the morph and manifest creatures to prevent confusion when you turn one face up, but there haven't been any big problems with morph, so it shouldn't be too bad. Rush is pretty neat, and plays in design space that I did want red to focus more on. Incidentally, did anyone notice that every clan mechanic has so far only been used in its lead color? Bolster still seems fine.

I noticed that the mechanics article mentioned hybrid mana only in terms of it being used in abilities. I guess that means no hybrid spells.

Of the new cards, the ones I find most interesting are these:
en_kclm3zeeje.png
en_ohrremmpbu.png
en_bjph4xy49v.png
en_7etx813t13.png

Kolaghan is a bit boring, but she seems like she could be pretty powerful with her rush ability (the design article specified her as female) and maybe even pretty fun in play. EDIT: Wait, the same article refers to Kolaghan as "he" later. I guess this will have to be cleared up on tumblr.

By the way, two new spoiler cards:
Flamerush Rider
4R
Creature - Human Warrior
Whenever Flamerush Rider attacks, put a token onto the battlefield tapped and attacking that's a copy of another target attacking creature. Exile the token at the end of combat.
Dash 2RR (You may cast this spell for its dash cost. If you do, it gains haste, and it's returned from the battlefield to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.)

Shaman Revelation
Sorcery 3GG
Draw a card for each creature you control.
Ferocious - Gain 4 life for each creature you control with power 4 or greater.

Both seem pretty fun. I especially like Flamerush Rider from a Melvin perspective (how the different mechanical aspects of the card come together).

To those new among us, it is indeed the case that the mechanics themselves rarely affect what sees play in tournaments. If you look at the constructed deck lists that have been posted in this thread over time, for instance, you may have noted that there have been very few morph cards. Mechanics are there to provide a feel for limited and casual formats where one would be forced to or inclined to use those particular mechanics a lot--looking again at deck lists in this thread, note that you see a lot more of morph in limited deck lists. In constructed, you are free to largely ignore mechanics and just look at cards that are good individually or in combination.

Matriox

Doesn't it actually work pretty well? Dash is an alternate play cost, so you can play it from the command zone just like you can with morph, and having your commander return to your hand is actually better since you dodge the tax the next time you play him.

I think it works pretty decently yeah, its different enough that I like it.

Anyway, I'll eat crow and admit I was wrong about Fate having five new mechanics, though I was pretty close on my guess about the Mardu. Notably, the design article implies pretty hard that delve will not be in Dragons of Tarkir, so I guess every returning mechanic in this set will be replaced.

Given that my 3/2 prediction proved correct, I now feel supremely confident that DTK will carry over Dash and Bolster but replace the other three with new "brood" mechanics.

Incidentally, did anyone notice that every clan mechanic has so far only been used in its lead color?

Bolster showed up on a green card, though, so I expect it won't be completely isolated this way.

I noticed that the mechanics article mentioned hybrid mana only in terms of it being used in abilities. I guess that means no hybrid spells.

Wouldn't fit in the number crunch for the set anyway.

Cannot believe they went with a 3/2 split on mechanics.

It was clear if you looked at what they were trying to do. Ken Nagle explains this in his preview article -- they wanted to build the past set so that it could plausibly evolve into either future, which meant it had to have elements of each. As soon as we knew the five KTK clan mechanics weren't continuing for the whole block this was the only real workable way to do things.

ultron87

The "Dragons" ability on Outpost Siege makes me hope for a flickering theme in Dragons. Because I love flickering. But that is busted with Morph, so it won't happen and it'll just work with Dash and Sacrifice effects.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Some of these cards look cray, especially Whisperwood.

Magic is full Yu-gi-oh now, play everything face down in defense mode.

Surprisingly, MTG Salvation is reacting very positively to this set, and not even just relative to their usual reactions. There's something odd going on...

EDIT:
Punch people so hard that they return to their owner's hand. Seems like it could be good.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I love how the set looks mechanically, or rather I love that it looks mechanically messy. That just works for me

But...I mean now that its been pointed out, I kind of am on the Tom LaPille bandwagon. The actual individual cards shown off so far don't inspire me as individual cards. We'll wait for the full set I suppose

Toxi

Banned
Oh wow, I completely messed up on the rules there. I assumed Dash was only from the hand.

Thanks for clearing that up! Kolaghan just got a lot more interesting.

ultron87

Maybe Set 3 Morph is a shell that the dragons use to power up their servants. Something like:

Dragon Warrior 1G

Morph 1RG

When Dragon Warrior is turned face-up put 2 +1/+1 counters on it and it gains flying.

2/2

The "Dragons" ability on Outpost Siege makes me hope for a flickering theme in Dragons. Because I love flickering. But that is busted with Morph, so it won't happen and it'll just work with Dash and Sacrifice effects.
I'm thinking they'll have cards that are like "Whenever you choose Dragons, X".

Surprisingly, MTG Salvation is reacting very positively to this set, and not even just relative to their usual reactions. There's something odd going on...

The MTGS reaction is always going to be ignorant and absurd, but honestly I don't really understand the negativity in here either. Manifest is gonna be fun in draft. Nothing we've seen screams out that this will be a particularly weak or miserable set.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Khans is the best standard and draft format since I've been back to the game by a wide, wide margin. I'm willing to give Fates a solid chance. And you know, dragons all over the place. How is it not going to rock?

Khans is the best standard and draft format since I've been back to the game by a wide, wide margin. I'm willing to give Fates a solid chance. And you know, dragons all over the place. How is it not going to rock?

Yeah, this is my feeling more or less. The people over at the commander forum seem largely positive so far too. Shrug.

Oh wow, I completely messed up on the rules there. I assumed Dash was only from the hand.

Thanks for clearing that up! Kolaghan just got a lot more interesting.

Yeah it's always hard to keep straight which mechanics like this work from the command zone, and I can never remember unless I've got the text in front of me. The key here is that it says cast, so it's still being played as a spell and automatically works from anywhere you're allowed to cast a spell.

Matriox

The MTGS reaction is always going to be ignorant and absurd, but honestly I don't really understand the negativity in here either. Manifest is gonna be fun in draft. Nothing we've seen screams out that this will be a particularly weak or miserable set.

I was being pissy about Manifest because I completely missed the "able to be flipped for its cost" clause, I'm back on board :)

bigkrev

In what way does it invite cheating? You think people will play fake morphs just because they also manifested some stuff at a point in the game?

If you manafest a creature that has morph naturally, it's basically a freeroll to play a land from your hand face-down as a morph.

If you manafest a creature that has morph naturally, it's basically a freeroll to play a land from your hand face-down as a morph.

I mean, inasmuch as it's already a freeroll to play a land as a morph if you assume your opponent is just going to not verify anything you do or track anything that happens in play, I guess.

Hero

It was clear if you looked at what they were trying to do. Ken Nagle explains this in his preview article -- they wanted to build the past set so that it could plausibly evolve into either future, which meant it had to have elements of each. As soon as we knew the five KTK clan mechanics weren't continuing for the whole block this was the only real workable way to do things.

I understand their reasoning behind it but I still think it's sloppy and doesn't feel right. Maybe it will change as we see more of the set but it just doesn't seem very fun.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I understand their reasoning behind it but I still think it's sloppy and doesn't feel right. Maybe it will change as we see more of the set but it just doesn't seem very fun.

What doesn't look fun about it on a holistic level? In practice it means we're basically adding three new mechanics in the small set (and rotating a few out) which is fairly typical

y2dvd

The text box to Manifest is confusing me. On regular cards, it's worded so that you can only flip over creature cards. On the token, it's worded so that you can flip over any cards. Which is it?

Matriox

The text box to Manifest is confusing me. On regular cards, it's worded so that you can only flip over creature cards. On the token, it's worded so that you can flip over any cards. Which is it?

it specifies that a manifested Creature card can be flipped for its cost, then says can be flipped for its morph cost (which only creatures have morph costs) they can be flipped for that.

EDIT: Forgot about Cavern, so not only creatures have morph.

ultron87

Any creature can be turned over for its mana cost, but the part about Morph Cost doesn't specify creatures because of Zoetic Cavern and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom