• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good lord, you gents have immense post counts :) I might actually prefer to see the top number of pages of posts per member, rather than the total post numbers. It seems more hilarious to think that some have contributed tens of pages of posts, lol

Anyway, I'm just back to bitch about the hatred of Land Destruction. I don't consider myself a tear-drinker, but I also don't care that my single Avalanche Riders grinds you out for 2 dam per turn while I whittle away your resources in your insanely rampy power deck. It's casual and I'll casually deny you your shit just like Blue does. With Red. Is this a horrible attitude?

(I don't talk shit online, though and very frequently lose to plenty of weird combos and stuff... I also don't exclusively play LD. I'm exaggerating my aggression, just find the mechanic and politics of it interesting.)

PS: Love the thread title :p
Thanks, GB / Technomancer / everyone

Firemind

Simic Sky Swallower, Coiling Oracle, Kiora, Shardless Agent....
Ah, yes. My friend played Simic Sky Swallower in U/G Tron. Coiling Oracle was amazing because Jitte existed. Kiora has seen more play than Sarkhan Unbroken I suppose. Shardless Agent was in a commander product so I forgot about it.

Speaking of, can I bitch about the design of Shardless Agent? It's a U/G artifact creature with cascade. First of all, green is about the most anti-artifact colour. Green is about nature. Organisms that evolve through natural selection. Secondly, they slapped cascade on it, which if I recall isn't specifically tied to a colour. It's like they threw two darts on a board and U/G came out of it. At least TNN made sense because of the island bias.

ElyrionX

Good lord, you gents have immense post counts :) I might actually prefer to see the top number of pages of posts per member, rather than the total post numbers. It seems more hilarious to think that some have contributed tens of pages of posts, lol

Anyway, I'm just back to bitch about the hatred of Land Destruction. I don't consider myself a tear-drinker, but I also don't care that my single Avalanche Riders grinds you out for 2 dam per turn while I whittle away your resources in your insanely rampy power deck. It's casual and I'll casually deny you your shit just like Blue does. With Red. Is this a horrible attitude?

(I don't talk shit online, though and very lose frequently to plenty of weird combos and stuff... I also don't exclusively play LD. I'm exaggerating my aggression, just find the mechanic and politics of it interesting.)

PS: Love the thread title :p
Thanks, GB / Technomancer / everyone

People have very strange preferences when it comes to EDH. I know LD is generally frowned upon so I don't play them in my decks. But some people disdain combos, especially the infinite ones, as well.

I mean, I am playing Mono U. Of course I am going to have infinite combos coming out of my ass. Yes, they end the game on the spot but how different or less original is that compared to casting Tooth and Nail entwined into AoZ and Craterhoof (which happens a goddamn lot) and swinging in at everyone for the kill?

The people who hate playing on the stack and believe that every game should be about using creatures to swing in for the win are the worst.

Yes. I am a blue player. I have three EDH decks. Azami, Melek and Animar. Yes, they all have blue in them.

Firemind

I play Blood Moon, Ruination, Boil and you can't complain because I'm playing the worst colour in EDH.

I was thinking of adding Mana Flare, but I don't want to actually help people. Maybe I'll add Boiling Seas instead. Kids love their Islands.

Infinite combos and LD are fine when you can look at the guy you're victimizing in the eye, and also handwave priority. But online they're just a nightmare. And I don't play either because I like to finish games I start.

ElyrionX

I play Blood Moon, Ruination, Boil and you can't complain because I'm playing the worst colour in EDH.

I was thinking of adding Mana Flare, but I don't want to actually help people. Maybe I'll add Boiling Seas instead. Kids love their Islands.

I like the way you think lol.

I have this new Melek burn deck which basically uses the red mana spells to generate a ton of mana which I use to throw a big Banefire at people's face or use to cast a kicked Urza's Rage copied a bunch of times which I then throw at faces. Good times.

Infinite combos and LD are fine when you can look at the guy you're victimizing in the eye, and also handwave priority. But online they're just a nightmare. And I don't play either because I like to finish games I start.

I actually removed the infinite combos from my decks because they were linear and too repetitive and hence, not fun to play. I don't play Palinchron in any of my decks anymore. Now, I prefer to play the long game and hold up a a bunch of answers and make people miserable just at the moment when they try to swing for victory.

Matriox

Inkmoth jumped up to 25 last night. Either Wizards is slow rolling that spoiler or it will continue to go up it seems...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Inkmoth jumped up to 25 last night. Either Wizards is slow rolling that spoiler or it will continue to go up it seems...

I feel like an overnight jump like that means somebody got the inside scoop. I'm not holding my breath for a reprint.

Unlike Old Krosa and Vines.

Matriox

I feel like an overnight jump like that means somebody got the inside scoop. I'm not holding my breath for a reprint.

Unlike Old Krosa and Vines.

I would guess buyout for speculation seems more likely than insider here, but either way youre not wrong about inkmoth probably not being in the set.

It was going to be that price thereabouts eventually if skipped in mm15, looks like sooner rather than later.

Matriox

The jump happened because they literally said that Infect was not in the set in one of the first articles.

Guess I was just confirming what was guessed to happen as well as make sure it wasn't in mm15 at all. There was still talk of just tossing it in there because it's good and there's an artifact theme.

OnPoint

Speaking of, can I bitch about the design of Shardless Agent? It's a U/G artifact creature with cascade. First of all, green is about the most anti-artifact colour. Green is about nature. Organisms that evolve through natural selection. Secondly, they slapped cascade on it, which if I recall isn't specifically tied to a colour. It's like they threw two darts on a board and U/G came out of it. At least TNN made sense because of the island bias.

Huh? Shardless Agent makes sense in green, more specifically, blue-green. Am I right in assuming "Shardless" has to do with Alara? So if that's the case all colors get artifacts there. Plus UG is a color combination that can be about improving upon or altering nature, so it makes sense that they'd produce something through unnatural means, i.e. Cascade.

Hm... I wonder when I should move the foils I picked up a few years back.

Firemind

I just looked up gatherer for hosers and holy shit where have you been all my life?

Image.ashx

Matriox

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163176241]$45 to draft MM2 at my LGS. Fuck this dumb set.[/QUOTE]

That's really high, but I assume it also includes prize support atleast?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163176241]$45 to draft MM2 at my LGS. Fuck this dumb set.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163181326]Pack per win...

2-1 gets you $5 off MSRP, which is already bullshit expensive! Yay![/QUOTE]

8-man draft. 8 * $45 = $360.

24 packs to draft, plus 12 prize packs. 36 packs * $10 MSRP = $360.

Math checks out.

8-man draft. 8 * $45 = $360.

24 packs to draft, plus 12 prize packs. 36 packs * $10 MSRP = $360.

Math checks out.

I'm not willing to pay more than MSRP to draft with regular prize support, sorry. I used to play at my LGS all the time when it was 4-3-2-2 for $11 and stopped when they went to pack per win.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163181995]I'm not willing to pay more than MSRP to draft with regular prize support, sorry. I used to play at my LGS all the time when it was 4-3-2-2 for $11 and stopped when they went to pack per win.[/QUOTE]

That's completely fair, but this product is in too high of demand to expect anything other than straight MSRP. Honestly, it's good on your store for not adding anything on top.

Going back to the red discussion, it occurs to me that the flagbearer ability could be a good way to give red a new area to go into.

Magnetic Goblin - 1R
Creature - Goblin Nephilim Beeble
Magnetic (While choosing targets as part of casting a spell or activating an ability, your opponents must choose at least creature you control with magnetic on the battlefield if able.)
1/1

Explosive Magnetic Goblin - 3R
Creature - Goblin Turtle
Magnetic
When Explosive Magnetic Goblin dies, it deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
3/1

Dragon Fodder Dragon - 5R
Creature - Dragon
Flying, haste
When Dragon Fodder Dragon enters the battlefield, put two 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens with magnetic onto the battlefield.
6/2

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
As with every "full" spoiler, everything you didn't already know about was either commons you don't care about or jank rares that will piss you off.

No Goblin Guide either. Or Inquisition of Kozilek. Or Gitaxian Probe. Or Path to Exile.

Given that Path is not in the set, but is the July FNM promo, I'd bet the August promo is an exclusion from the set as well. Given that there's already a promo Probe, I'd bet that either Serum Visions or Inquisition is the August FNM promo.

EDIT: This set really is missing the critical mass of value at common that it needs to make people feel good when they open packs with Endrek Sahr.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No Goblin Guide either. Or Inquisition of Kozilek. Or Gitaxian Probe. Or Path to Exile.

Given that Path is not in the set, but is the July FNM promo, I'd bet the August promo is an exclusion from the set as well. Given that there's already a promo Probe, I'd bet that either Serum Visions or Inquisition is the August FNM promo.
With Thoughtseize rotating out I was guessing Inquisition was in BFZ.

MjFrancis

I have a set of Serum Visions, but lack a playset of Goblin Guides. Here's hoping for a reprint in Return to Zendikar. If anyone can survive an Eldrazi invasion, it's him.

I'm tempted to snap-buy a playset of Goblin Guides, but I'm not sure I'll get enough mileage out of it. I'm more of a Limited player these days and I'd probably rather put that money towards finishing my Innistrad cube.

Angry Grimace

Also, still no Damnation reprint. Are they ever going to get off of their asses and put that in something?

Join the Judge Program™ today!

I have a set of Serum Visions, but lack a playset of Goblin Guides. Here's hoping for a reprint in Return to Zendikar. If anyone can survive an Eldrazi invasion, it's him.

I'm tempted to snap-buy a playset of Goblin Guides, but I'm not sure I'll get enough mileage out of it. I'm more of a Limited player these days and I'd probably rather put that money towards finishing my Innistrad cube.

I don't think there's any way they reprint Goblin Guide in BFZ. They already have Zurgo for cheap red beaters, they're not gonna print even more.

OnPoint

If Landfall ends up in BFZ, Goblin Guide is a lock.

Damnation, Serum Visions, Blood Moon are all huge missing pieces. Wonder what the prices will do now.

Going back to the red discussion, it occurs to me that the flagbearer ability could be a good way to give red a new area to go into.

Magnetic Goblin - 1R
Creature - Goblin Nephilim Beeble
Magnetic (While choosing targets as part of casting a spell or activating an ability, your opponents must choose at least creature you control with magnetic on the battlefield if able.)
1/1

Explosive Magnetic Goblin - 3R
Creature - Goblin Turtle
Magnetic
When Explosive Magnetic Goblin dies, it deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
3/1

Dragon Fodder Dragon - 5R
Creature - Dragon
Flying, haste
When Dragon Fodder Dragon enters the battlefield, put two 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens with magnetic onto the battlefield.
6/2

I really like this idea. I wouldn't call it Magnetic, I'd find a way to play up another way to grab attention, but that's semantics. This would be an awesome ability.

Angry Grimace

If Landfall ends up in BFZ, Goblin Guide is a lock.

Damnation, Serum Visions, Blood Moon are all huge missing pieces. Wonder what the prices will do now.

I really like this idea. I wouldn't call it Magnetic, I'd find a way to play up another way to grab attention, but that's semantics. This would be an awesome ability.

Landfall was pretty miserable in limited; let's hope they fixed it.

Angry Grimace

Maybe they're doing another Modern Event Deck? The last one had 3 Path and 3 Inquisition...

Lucario

Yikes, I assumed that Serum Visions, Inquision, Path, and all of the other obvious money commons/uncommons would be in here. Now that we know they aren't, it really feels like MMA2 is just a $10 goyf lottery ticket.

The lack of value in the uncommon slot really makes it sting that more than half of the rares in the set are sub-$2, especially since the niche rares like Apocalypse Hydra and Necroskitter will come crashing down immediately after release.

You'd have to be insane to pay more than MSRP for this set.

OnPoint

Yikes, I assumed that Serum Visions, Inquision, Path, and all of the other obvious money commons/uncommons would be in here. Now that we know they aren't, it really feels like MMA2 is just a $10 goyf lottery ticket.

The lack of value in the uncommon slot really makes it sting that more than half of the rares in the set are sub-$2, especially since the niche rares like Apocalypse Hydra and Necroskitter will come crashing down immediately after release.

That's a bit much, don't you think? Clique, Bitterbossom, 3x Eldrazi... I don't know. The set is not bad on value. Would be nice if the low end stacked up but there's plenty to be happy with aside from a slight chance at getting the Tarmochump.

You'd have to be insane to pay more than MSRP for this set.

I completely agree.

That's why you play Wrecking Ball, dummy. (Or alternatively Molten Rain.)

Wrecking Ball is one of my favourite limited cards ever. Blowing up a karoo feels so good.

don't you ever play
lands that bounce away
I will punish you
cause I hold in hand
waiting for you to pass
cards to punish you
I'm end step casting
wrecking ball

Lucario

That's a bit much, don't you think? Clique, Bitterbossom, 3x Eldrazi... I don't know. The set is not bad on value. Would be nice if the low end stacked up but there's plenty to be happy with aside from a slight chance at getting the Tarmochump.

Almost all of the value is stacked up in ~12 cards, most of them mythics. It's not exactly "goyf or nothing", but it's still pretty bad. The first MMA had much more equal distribution of value, including a number of $1+ cards in the common slot.

Of the 53 rares in MMA2k15, 17 (~32%) of them are worth under 50 cents, and the vast majority of them are worth under $4. That wouldn't be as much of an issue if we could open up cards like Serum Vision in the common slot, but since we can't, there's basically nothing that can redeem packs with Enderk Sahr or Long-Forgotten Gohei in the rare slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom