• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Speaking of edh interactions, me and my buddies played a few games last night and one of my friends insisted you can play generals with aether vial and you can tick it up and play them with their inflated costs too. I said lolwut. Someone clarify so I can slap some sense into him.

I mean, "from your hand' is right there on the card. Should be clear that isn't going to work.

Firemind

Aether vial was foreign so we weren't sure. Also, we were drunk.

If that worked, aether vial would be in every deck since you don't have to pay mana for your general ever again.

Kwixotik

Thanks for those tips, guys. They actually helped my understanding a lot. I know it seems like obvious stuff to y'all probably lol.

Thanks for those tips, guys. They actually helped my understanding a lot. I know it seems like obvious stuff to y'all probably lol.

You mentioned that you're playing with your fiancee, but I also recommend playing Duels of the Planeswalkers, which has free demos. It takes you through a turn step by step, and playing against a computer player should help a lot.

Kwixotik

You mentioned that you're playing with your fiancee, but I also recommend playing Duels of the Planeswalkers, which has free demos. It takes you through a turn step by step, and playing against a computer player should help a lot.

That's actually how I am playing atm. I'm playing the 2014 demo because I don't have physical cards (they do) and I don't want to go out and blow a bunch of money on a deck before I know what kind of deck I like. Even if it's blowing $20 for a starter deck, it's still one I may end up hating lol.

I'm about to crack
disclaimer: not in the piracy sense
and buy the full game. I've read 2014 is superior to 2015. Is that generally true? Don't want to click purchase til I'm sure lol.

edit: nevermind, I went ahead and bought 2014

That's actually how I am playing atm. I'm playing the 2014 demo because I don't have physical cards (they do) and I don't want to go out and blow a bunch of money on a deck before I know what kind of deck I like.

You're already wiser than a decent percentage of people who play this game.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My opponent should have figured out something was up when he cast Liliana of the Veil, used the -2 to kill my Voice of Resurgence and then next turn I play Kitchen Finks, attack him with the token for two (ignoring the 1 loyalty LotV) and pass turn (Wilt-Leaf Liege).

Deck is a total one trick pony though. It exists just to flatten anyone with LotV, really.

ElyrionX

My personal vision of EDH decks are just good stuff decks with the one-of fun cards you have that don't have any real business being in your house otherwise. The idea of competitive EDH to combo out your opponent just seems dumb to me.

That's how I view the format as well and that's how I build my decks which are generally in-line, in terms of power level, with the rest of my playgroup. But there are one or two players in my group who have decks that are significantly faster and more powerful than what we have. These guys don't play with us often but when they do, I thought it'd be nice to play a powerful deck to beat them.

I'm working on an EDH variant where you can only use legendary noncreature permanents as generals and there are no singletons and every copy of a card must come from a different printing, but there are no restrictions on number.

But it's not very fun.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";164381992]I'm working on an EDH variant where you can only use legendary noncreature permanents as generals and there are no singletons and every copy of a card must come from a different printing, but there are no restrictions on number.

But it's not very fun.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like an odd set of stipulations. So you could have, like, ten lightning bolts if you wanted?

That sounds like an odd set of stipulations. So you could have, like, ten lightning bolts if you wanted?

Yeah. I originally only wanted cards that were printed with different art but the pool is pretty small.

I think to make it fun I have to make the win conditions pretty wild. Still a work in progress.

I'm also trying to make a magic format that's a party game like Cards Against Humanity or whatever.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";164385318]Yeah. I originally only wanted cards that were printed with different art but the pool is pretty small.[/QUOTE]

Well, now I want a format where I can run ten lightning bolts.

Judge Tower really opened me up to new possibilities so I figured this would be a fun thing to do when I'm not bragging about defeating every world ranker with Random Select Standard decks against their Vintage decks.

MjFrancis

In a format where you can run any number of cards I'm running sixty of these every time:

chancellorofthedross.jpg

I actually priced this out once. It was like $22 shipped, including the 15 card sideboard. Kind of a lot for a joke that will only be funny once.

Whenever I lose a couple 8-4s I like to go on Bestiaire and pretend I'm the king of drafting.

B1wrX2W.jpg

In a format where you can run any number of cards I'm running sixty of these every time:

http://www.mythicspoiler.com/nph/cards/chancellorofthedross.jpg[/IG]

I actually priced this out once. It was like $22 shipped, including the 15 card sideboard. Kind of a lot for a joke that will only be funny once.[/QUOTE]

Loses to Leyline of Anticipation

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

chancellorofthedross.jpg

I actually priced this out once. It was like $22 shipped, including the 15 card sideboard. Kind of a lot for a joke that will only be funny once.

There's a video of a girl doing this, and then losing to some lifegain card since you can't gain do more than 21 damage.

Evergreen keyword update? Evergreen keyword update.

That answers the "are they shifting the evergreen keywords in Origins or BFZ?" question.

Seems like Regenerate would be on the short list to be chopped as well.

The four evergreen keywords they've identified as a problem are landwalk, protection, intimidate, and regeneration. Intimidate is like 99% likely to leave and be replaced by the War Drums ability (which we see appear in black for the first time in Dragons, and which Rosewater just answered another question about yesterday.) Landwalk is almost certainly out since it doesn't even need to be replaced with anything. Regeneration they could ditch for indestructible, but the latter is a lot stronger so they might still want an alternative. Protection probably isn't going until and unless they have a decent replacement, which they might not yet.

I personally expect Prowess sooner rather than later, but I guess they could add it a little later on if it took them a while to notice. It so perfectly fits both the "blue combat keyword" and "shared blue and red" holes they've wanted to fill, and it has such a generic name, that I'd be shocked if it doesn't get the upgrade at all.

Is there a good general strategy or video explaining this in simple terms? Or is it mainly just intuition that comes with experience?

I always link people asking this question to the Magic Academy series from the Wizards website. Read everything in here and it'll definitely get you a decent start: http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/academy/home

Once you've covered that, someone in here can probably dig up decent recs for more advanced strategy articles.

y2dvd

Played tested Maddux Dragons vs my buddy's Esper Dragon and won most of our games. Crackling Doom is pretty well positioned vs those hexproof dragons.

He's thinking of running some dissipates due to mega morphs. Scrying from Dissolve is nice, but I can see Dissipate taking over if it gets to exile Den Protector, Death mist Raptor, or even dragons that could be brought back via Haven.

kirblar

He's being dumb. Dissolve probably shouldn't have been printed, as it's super close to Dismiss in a control shell. Dissipate doesn't help because you don't know which morphs are the ones to counter.

Bandini

Just found out there's a Modern PTQ in my town this weekend. I have about 4 decks with 50-70% real cards and the rest proxies and don't know if I want to plop down a couple hundred to finish one of them. I guess I could throw together a less than optimal burn deck...

Are these mono-red standard aggro decks you can build from scratch for 20-30$ actually competitive? That would be something that might push me from that weird "casusal (modern legal) decks rarely with cards above 1$" we play in our private playgroup to FNM tournaments... I always refused to pump a three-figure amount in mana-base, which wouldn't be a issue here...

Are these mono-red standard aggro decks you can build from scratch for 20-30$ actually competitive? That would be something that might push me from that weird "casusal (modern legal) decks rarely with cards above 1$" we play in our private playgroup to FNM tournaments... I always refused to pump a three-figure amount in mana-base, which wouldn't be a issue here...

If you replace Goblin Rabblemaster, mono-red should be pretty cheap.

Angry Grimace

Okay, what's your first pick:

5ZmAjh9.jpg

I think I would go with the Waxmane Baku. Its not committing you to a paired archetype because its a solid playable on its own.

bigkrev

Top 4 are

Scion
Agony Warp
Cranial Plating
Waxmane Baku

And I'm taking Baku because W/B is the only deck in this format I'm actually excited to draft

f0rk

I wonder how castable the Eldrazi are. If the format is slow enough to let you get there a green deck especially should have a lot of spawn tokens and Artisan has value.

Firemind

Mulldrifter

Cranial Plating

I wonder how castable the Eldrazi are. If the format is slow enough to let you get there a green deck especially should have a lot of spawn tokens and Artisan has value.
It's faster than ROE and there aren't nearly enough eldrazi spawn spawners, so I'm guessing no.

duxstar

Artisan, agony warp, all suns or even the red white double strike guy are all ok, if you want to play conservative you avoid the 2 color spells. I love 5 color if I can get it and since it's P1 P1 I take Artisan

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";164501646]Snap Artisan of Kozilek, force domain ramp, wheel all sun's dawn

edit: LOL a case of MM2 is more expensive than buying the boxes individually on SCG.[/QUOTE]

And buying 24 boosters is cheaper than buying a box. When it comes to MSRP, it's always going to be like that

Bandini

Well, I cobbled together a Jeskai deck for the PTQ this weekend, I'm just missing 2 Path to Exile and 2-3 Stony Silence, and my local store doesn't have any in stock. Went to check out at an online vendor and they want $40 for next day shipping, yeesh. Deck should be a bit silly and fun anyway, got some one-offs like Rabblemaster and Monastery Mentor.

red13th

you know I just thought today they could (not would, but could, and should) print a mythic Chrome Mox in Conspiracy 2 with Volkan Baga artwork.

kirblar

PWs are going to show up much more frequently now (and get reprints in expansions) due to the change. Which is a good thing on both counts.

OnPoint

The story of Kiora fighting Thassa on Theros.
Kiora loses, but manages to planeswalk away with the Bident of Thassa

Well, then the fun begins!

I took
the Bident of Thassa ability
and stapled it on. Then it was a matter of representing the green in her, and then her ultimate is both green and blue. I wanted her to be able to help ramp into Eldrazi, since BFZ will likely have high cost Eldrazi to pump out at some point during the block.

UHoBp1M.jpg

Edit:

The Ophidian ability is shared in U/G.

This is a good point. Maybe she's better off just being 2UG instead.

Yeah, I've put the fixed version in.

FeD.nL

Hi MagicGAF!

So a friend and I recently decided to get into magic and bought the Elspeth vs. Kiora duel deck. We´ve had a ton of fun so far playing the decks but we are now at the point where we would like to play some casual constructed decks. I watched some of the videos of the Tolarian Community College and found that ´complete casual´ video where he talks about just buying six packs and make a deck out of it. Now my question is, is there a particular set that is more fun for beginners than others? And what is the best way to get additional lands beyond the ones we have in the duel deck?

Many thanks in advance!

Wichu

Hi MagicGAF!

So a friend and I recently decided to get into magic and bought the Elspeth vs. Kiora duel deck. We´ve had a ton of fun so far playing the decks but we are now at the point where we would like to play some casual constructed decks. I watched some of the videos of the Tolarian Community College and found that ´complete casual´ video where he talks about just buying six packs and make a deck out of it. Now my question is, is there a particular set that is more fun for beginners than others? And what is the best way to get additional lands beyond the ones we have in the duel deck?

Many thanks in advance!

You could go and grab a Deck Builder's Toolkit each. You get a bunch of each basic land, enough cards of each colour to try a few different strategies, and four boosters of different sets.

bigkrev

Hi MagicGAF!

Many thanks in advance!

Building a deck out of 6 packs is called "Sealed Deck". It's a popular limited format. The game is designed so that 6 packs of any large expansion (Dragons of Tarkir, Theros, Magic 2015, ect) will work, or you can mix and match with smaller sets in the same block (ie, 4 packs of Dragons of Tarkir and 2 packs of Fate Reforged, or 2 packs each of Theros, Born of the Gods and Journey into Nyx). There are synergies between large and small sets in each block that make them work better than just grabbing packs from any set (ie, 3 Theros and 3 Dragons of Tarkir)

Generally any block will be a fun enough experience to buy packs of and build decks out of what you get, but be forewarned that the current block, Khans of Tarkir, has the fun but complex mechanic morph, which may be hard to understand for a new player.

However, what I recommend doing is getting a Deckbuilder's Toolkit to get a decently sized collection of cards, and then after you try to build decks out of what you have, you can then move on to buying individual cards to fill out what you think is missing. While it's fun to open up booster packs, generally, it's recommended that you try to do something with booster packs you get, such as play in a limited format at a local store, since it's otherwise more cost effective to get individual cards.

FeD.nL

Thanks for all the reactions, really appreciate it!

I guess i'll head into town tomorrow to get a deck builder's toolkit and start working on decks from there. Once again thanks for all the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom