• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kiln Fiend and Bloodthrone Vampire are synergy cards, they are explosive but they need a specific subset of cards to really do their thing. Kirblar is talking about those any 2 drop, any 3 drop, any 2-4 drop, first removal spell on your opponent's blocker and "oh did you miss a land drop? I guess you dead!" starts that just don't happen in RoE limited.
I understand.

Lucario

Is there a 1 drop with a Kiln Fiend like effect?

Image.ashx

(The "bear trap" is BS- sometimes a bear should be very mediocre.)

I feel like it's overplayed in terms of the actual ROE format, at least. What are the bears that are locking you down into a bad tiny-aggro deck? Glory Seeker, which is in the set explicitly to troll people? All these 2/2 levelers that turn into big evasive beaters with added mana? Stuff like Nest Invader that supports the ramp archetype? I don't think I've seen people actually go down this path because you need to be good enough to understand the value of bears in a normal draft environment yet not good enough to pick up on the difference in ROE despite the set being full of support cards that beat you over the head with pointers to what the archetypes are.

Plus, when ROE came out, people had just recently been playing the aptly-initialed ZZZ (aka the most boring bearish aggro sideways-guys format of all time) and before that a lot of different formats that came down to "draft aggro in the color your first bomb is in," whereas these days anyone who learns to draft is going to get brought up from day one on the concept of drafting archetypes.

Crocodile

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";164228797]I understand.[/QUOTE]

But those aren't "traditional" aggro cards which is why I was a bit confused by your response.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";164233966]Blistercoil is my homeboy, you take that back.[/QUOTE]

Hates Cryptic Command but calls Blistercoil his "homeboy".

Smh

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
God's Beard do you still have your list for the last tournament you played in? Sultai with all deathmists/morphs.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
GB, do you have that decklist from when you beat LSV, Willy Edel and Batman in a modern tournament to the death?

GB, do you have that decklist from when you beat LSV, Willy Edel and Batman in a modern tournament to the death?

Creature(24):
  • 4x Noble Hierarch
  • 4x Phantasmal Image
  • 2x Spellskite
  • 4x Cryptoplasm
  • 4x Biovisionary
  • 4x Phyrexian Metamorph
  • 2x Sakashima's Student

Spells(13):
  • 4x Serum Visions
  • 4x Remand
  • 3x Mirrorweave
  • 2x Dismember

Land (23):
  • 4x Breeding Pool
  • 4x Misty Rainforest
  • 6x Island
  • 1x Forest
  • 4x Mutavault
  • 4x Khalini Garden

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People need to stop playing Deathmist Raptor.

I can't afford it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lol wacky. I love it when people make these decks that are just two incongruous existing decks jammed together in the same shell.

Really funny to me how omnipresent Megamorph has been after the negative reception it got initially and the general sense that flipping guys up was never going to be competitive.

Yeah, but its almost entirely because the combo of Deathmist Raptor + Den Protector is the grindiest midrange strategy possible right now.

Firemind

Looks like I have to sell my Ojutais. What Paul Cheon said is true. You have to counter every morph, because they can be Den Protectors but they can also be Raptors or Mystics or Dancers. :(

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";164277438]I told you guys that Esper control sucks[/QUOTE]

Its not even "esper" control. Its UB control with white literally for Ojutai.

Yeah, but its almost entirely because the combo of Deathmist Raptor + Den Protector is the grindiest midrange strategy possible right now.

I mean, when you get down to it, every non-broken mechanic ever is only good because Card X + Card Y is the Z-est strategy possible at the time. With this one the popular angle after the spoiler hit was that the 2-drop megamorphs were still too weak and Raptor wouldn't have anything to get triggered by; I think it's funny how off that prediction was.

Angry Grimace

I mean, when you get down to it, every non-broken mechanic ever is only good because Card X + Card Y is the Z-est strategy possible at the time. With this one the popular angle after the spoiler hit was that the 2-drop megamorphs were still too weak and Raptor wouldn't have anything to get triggered by; I think it's funny how off that prediction was.

Shit, I was in that camp. Morph hadn't been a constructed player basically ever so there was at least some reason to think that.

Crocodile

Most in the Cube community were pretty high on the two drop Megamorph cycle. But given how poorly the Morph mechanic has fared in constructed (and its been around in Onslaught, Time Spiral AND Khans of Tarkir), it doesn't surprise me that many were't super high on them for T2. People also tend to underestimate the influence of a single +1/+1 counter time and time again.

kirblar

Most in the Cube community were pretty high on the two drop Megamorph cycle. But given how poorly the Morph mechanic has fared in constructed (and its been around in Onslaught, Time Spiral AND Khans of Tarkir), it doesn't surprise me that many were't super high on them for T2. People also tend to underestimate the influence of a single +1/+1 counter time and time again.
I bought a playset of all 5 for 7.50 at launch. Was definitely something everyone should have grabbed given how cheap they were pre-ordering.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";164277638]I don't know what to tell you.[/QUOTE]

"you are right"

Wizards, I'll forgive you if you don't put a 2-mana self-mill effect in the next two sets, but in exchange please bring back Dark Ritual.

Thanks.

Speaking of Dark Ritual, I wonder if this would be fine in Modern.

Erupting Ritual - R
Instant
Add RRR to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast spells with converted mana cost 4 or greater.

kirblar

Erupting Ritual - R
Instant
Add RRR to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast spells with converted mana cost 4 or greater.
That actually might be interesting design space to see if you can fix them by forcing them into working like the Druid rituals in HS.

MjFrancis

I haven't drafted Dragons of Tarkir as much as I might like but I swept all my games today with a pile of cards so bad I didn't even sleeve up. It's not as elegant as the MTGO card library but here's my go at presenting my deck:
I started drafting B/R Dash but then white was getting passed so I cobbled together a Mardu Warriors deck. Looking at this pile I'm pretty sure the Fate Reforged packs made this playable. I first picked Blood-Chin Rager, Atarka Efreet and Wild Slash, while I ended up beating U/B Exploit, G/R Stompy and W/G Dragons/Midrange.

Didn't kirblar just say something about aggro decks in some draft formats being able to take advantage of every misstep an opponent takes, allowing the less-skilled player to steal wins? I think that's what happened tonight. Drafting is what really makes this game fun for me, there's no other format where I could build a deck like this and go "yup, this looks good."

Angry Grimace

Erupting Ritual - R
Instant
Add RRR to your mana pool. Remove this card from your deck if any of your cards contain the "Storm" keyword.

FTFY

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";164299260]Wizards, I'll forgive you if you don't put a 2-mana self-mill effect in the next two sets, but in exchange please bring back Dark Ritual.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Dark Ritual is a 10 on the Storm Scale. Probably because 11 is to hyperbolic.

MjFrancis

Gracias, GB. Bad is a bit hyperbolic but it feels weird to the Timmy in me to pass up every Dragon and a couple nice rares to build a draft deck. This is Dragons of Tarkir - but I've found the most success in drafts by going under their CMC and building aggro decks.

Feel-good play of the day was using Butcher's Glee to save a Blood-Chin Rager from an opponent's Epic Confrontation - killing their guy in the process too. I could do that all day.

Joe Molotov

Went 3-4 at the Dallas Standard Open this weekend playing Mono Red Aggro. I dropped after the 7th Round cuz I was hungry as hell and I knew I was out of the money.

It was a fun experience, it was the first time I'd been to an Open or anything more serious than Game Day at the LGS. The $50 entry fee ensures there are no "Whoops, I accidentally showed up and I don't know how to play Magic" people, everyone there was out for blood, but I still met some pretty cool people. Although having said that, I did have myself "lol newb" moment, when I found out that tapped creatures deal combat damage (they didn't back when I used to play 5th Edition). Somehow that had never come up since I started playing again. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Went 3-4 at the Dallas Standard Open this weekend playing Mono Red Aggro. I dropped after the 7th Round cuz I was hungry as hell and I knew I was out of the money.

It was a fun experience, it was the first time I'd been to an Open or anything more serious than Game Day at the LGS. The $50 entry fee ensures there are no "Whoops, I accidentally showed up and I don't know how to play Magic" people, everyone there was out for blood, but I still met some pretty cool people. Although having said that, I did have myself "lol newb" moment, when I found out that tapped creatures deal combat damage (they didn't back when I used to play 5th Edition). Somehow that had never come up since I started playing again. Oh well, you live and you learn.
I can't believe that was a "lulwut" moment for me today. "Oh, he tapped his blocker, sucks for him. Wait, he just added green mana and blocked my guy...."

Gracias, GB. Bad is a bit hyperbolic but it feels weird to the Timmy in me to pass up every Dragon and a couple nice rares to build a draft deck. This is Dragons of Tarkir - but I've found the most success in drafts by going under their CMC and building aggro decks.

Feel-good play of the day was using Butcher's Glee to save a Blood-Chin Rager from an opponent's Epic Confrontation - killing their guy in the process too. I could do that all day.

The uncommon megamorph dragons are actually kinda bad. The dash deck I posted the pic from above had zero rares in it but was still crazy. Your deck is a little greedy and maybe slightly clunky, but that's part of limited. You make compromises to maximize wins. Limited decks tend to play better than they look.

That said, sometimes you get mythics in every pack and win that way too lol

Joe Molotov

In my case, he double-blocked my Rabblemaster with two Elvish Mystic, which I expected him to do, but then he tapped his Mystics to get mana to unmorph a card, and I was like "ah good my Rabblemaster survives" and he was like "nuh uh" and I was like "Judge!" and the judge was like "of course it dies, lrn2play newb". :(

Fuck G/W Megamorph, is basically what I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom