• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xis

Also - im curious about the pc game as well. I hear everyone say to get 2014 and not 2015. Any suggestions?

All of the Duels games up to (and including) 2014 have you pick from several preconstructed decks, and as you play you unlock a few more cards for that deck. You can't build your own deck, just customize the ones they give you.

Duels 2015 is the first entry that allows for full deckbuilding, but they cut out the popular 2-headed giant multiplayer mode, and originally hid some of the unlockable cards behind microtransactions. They eventually took out the microtransactions when the expansion came out, but many still hold a grudge.

ultron87

All of the Duels games up to (and including) 2014 have you pick from several preconstructed decks, and as you play you unlock a few more cards for that deck. You can't build your own deck, just customize the ones they give you.

Duels 2015 is the first entry that allows for full deckbuilding, but they cut out the popular 2-headed giant multiplayer mode, and originally hid some of the unlockable cards behind microtransactions. They eventually took out the microtransactions when the expansion came out, but many still hold a grudge.

I think for a new player the version with the pre-constructed decks is a better experience. Not having to worry about deck construction or unlocking a ton of stuff lets you get used to actually playing the game before you start thinking about the other stuff. Also that one lets you try out a bunch of different deck styles that all come with powerful cards. My experience with 2015 was a much slower start where you can't switch it up, really. Maybe they've updated it since then to make that better.

Xis

I think for a new player the version with the pre-constructed decks is a better experience. Not having to worry about deck construction or unlocking a ton of stuff lets you get used to actually playing the game before you start thinking about the other stuff. Also that one lets you try out a bunch of different deck styles that all come with powerful cards. My experience with 2015 was a much slower start where you can't switch it up, really. Maybe they've updated it since then to make that better.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. In 2014, all of the decks start with a lot of unique flavor. I've only played a little 2015, but it felt like you just start with a pile of mediocre cards.

MjFrancis

Can anyone confirm that MM2015 booster boxes can be mapped? I've been told this by my shop owner, who did not do so himself but was told by another dealer that it's been done already. If so why would Wizards stray from their formula that worked so well for the 2015 Core set and the Khans block?

It is still hearsay for the moment so far as I am concerned. If it's true I am sure we will be seeing videos of it soon enough.

Given how easily the boosters themselves can be tampered with I'm not sure it will ever be a good idea to buy single packs of MM2015. On the bright side this may keep prices around MSRP.

OnPoint

Welp, it was destined to be -- I opened a Comet Storm in our box.

But don't feel bad. My box had a Mox Opal, All Is Dust, Wilt Leaf, Fulminator, Cryptic, and a foil Karn. But the biggest of the bad, for me any way, the 'Goyf toward the end of the box. It was such a relief to open it after opening that Comet Storm early.

The only card of mine that had any damage is the All Is Dust. A little bit of the black border on the top of the card was damaged. But eh, oh well.

I was sad for my lady. She wanted a Noble Hierarch something fierce but it wasn't meant for her.

Jhriad

Can anyone confirm that MM2015 booster boxes can be mapped? I've been told this by my shop owner, who did not do so himself but was told by another dealer that it's been done already. If so why would Wizards stray from their formula that worked so well for the 2015 Core set and the Khans block?

What makes you think that 2015 or Khans block weren't mapped?

The only card of mine that had any damage is the All Is Dust. A little bit of the black border on the top of the card was damaged. But eh, oh well.

Send it to Wizards. They'll send you a replacement and they'll probably include a free booster pack for your trouble.

Firemind

Welp, it was destined to be -- I opened a Comet Storm in our box.

But don't feel bad. My box had a Mox Opal, All Is Dust, Wilt Leaf, Fulminator, Cryptic, and a foil Karn. But the biggest of the bad, for me any way, the 'Goyf toward the end of the box. It was such a relief to open it after opening that Comet Storm early.
Sweet. Well worth the $250. Congrats!

red13th

my box had a bunch of crap and only ONE Mythic, a Kiki-Jiki that I really didn't want. :(
it did have a foil Vendilion Clique but I don't want a FOIL Clique, I don't play with foils.

EDIT: nvm I cracked a Mox Opal, two mythics.

red13th

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";164861571]Trade you for it :3[/QUOTE]

it's already bending!!!! I literally opened it minutes ago, god I HATE FOILS.
how much is a foil Clique worth?

also I got a bunch of cool tokens I guess, two Bitterblossom tokens!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Opened exactly one pack. Mox Opal. Obviously this set is value town.

Based on the obvious value I opened a second. Lightning Bolt, Remand, Wilt-Leaf Liege.

I'm gonna be rich.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";164862465]Don't you try and bait me into hypocrisy by buying that $200 box at the pawn shop.[/QUOTE]
If you need cards/trade stuff $200 is a good price, you're likely to at least earn your money back.

If you need cards/trade stuff $200 is a good price, you're likely to at least earn your money back.

I don't need the cards and I don't think I can find 7 people to draft with now that the LGS here is closed. I've already got stacks of shocks and fetches and Snapcasters and crap in my binder for trade and nobody to trade it to.

I'd probably be better off putting that 200 towards this 6-foot bean bag chair I want. It'll go great in my new apartment since I wanna set up a projector.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
wow nice, I guess it wasn't that bad. I really wanted at least a Cryptic or a Hierarch but all my rares are junk outside of a Daybreak Coronet. :/

sheesh go and make us envy!

If it makes you feel better, then next ~8 didn't really have anything in them.

Then I got a pack with Noble Hierarch and foil Spellskite, then a pack with foil Dark Confidant. muahahah

New set codenames
Whenever we start work on a new set in exploratory design (the first time anyone touches a set), I tell you all the codenames for that block. Well, we just started a new exploratory design so guess what that means - a new set of codenames!

The block after Ham & Eggs is going to be…

<drumroll>

Soup & Salad.

Soup comes out in Spring of 2018 and Salad comes out in the Summer of 2018. (All seasons are Northern Hemisphere.)

Also, the second set in the Barrel block which used to be codenamed Monkeys had to change for an internal reason and is now Laughs.

Guessing another Wizards product has to use the codename Monkeys, or it's too similar to the name of a product they're making.

red13th

If it makes you feel better, then next ~8 didn't really have anything in them.

Then I got a pack with Noble Hierarch and foil Spellskite, then a pack with foil Dark Confidant. muahahah

Yeah I definitely envy you, let's trade boxes.
The only cards remotely valuable that I opened are Daybreak Coronet, Kiki-Jiki, Mox Opal and Blinkmoth Nexus.

Unrelated but Dismember foil looks pretty cool.

Angry Grimace

Yeah I definitely envy you, let's trade boxes.
The only cards remotely valuable that I opened are Daybreak Coronet, Kiki-Jiki, Mox Opal and Blinkmoth Nexus.

Unrelated but Dismember foil looks pretty cool.

The only two mythics in the box were Comet Storm and Mox Opal plus the foil Bob.

Foil Spellskite, Noble Hierarch, Cryptic Command, Blinkmoth Nexus, and a metric fuck-ton of jank that's going straight to EDH.

so after wanting to go just buy a pack or two each my brother and I walked into a comic book store downtown and were surprised to see a box for $200. We paced the store for a while and decided to buy it.

Started off real scary:
Comet Storm
2 spikeshot elders

but by the time we were done
Goyf
Wilt Leaf Liege
Daybreak Coronet
Fulminator Mage
Dark Confidant
Foil Karn

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";164862780]I don't need the cards and I don't think I can find 7 people to draft with now that the LGS here is closed.
[/QUOTE]

That stinks. Where are you located, GB? I'll make sure not to move there.

Angry Grimace

Counting up all the cards, the box value of cards over a buck was $331. Probably only a very slight loss on the box price after prices start to fall.

No, that isn't counting Comet Storm!

Angry Grimace

I have lots of Morningtide Bitterblossoms that aren't for trade =V

ultron87

Draft was fun. White Black spirits/arcane is pretty rad. Scuttles!

I got to Puppeteer Clique my opponent's Spitebellows two turns in a row. That was pretty gross.

Jhriad

Does anyone here have any tips as to where to buy packs for entry fees on MTGO? Feel like playing some Magic tonight but I think FNM will be dead because people will be doing the Modern Masters draft tomorrow instead.

Angry Grimace

Does anyone here have any tips as to where to buy packs for entry fees on MTGO? Feel like playing some Magic tonight but I think FNM will be dead because people will be doing the Modern Masters draft tomorrow instead.

Goatbots.

red13th

Now that I think about it I could maybe try to get Willian Murai to sign my foil Clique since he lives here.

EDIT: Looks like he moved to San Francisco! He was here last GP (before São Paulo), damn you America poaching our talent.

Now that I think about it I could maybe try to get Willian Murai to sign my foil Clique since he lives here.

EDIT: Looks like he moved to San Francisco! He was here last GP (before São Paulo), damn you America poaching our talent.

It's fate then that you trade it to me, given my location :3

Matriox

Ran red black again for fnm, got first :) added main board rabblemasters for some more threats, 11 didn't feel like nearly enough. Fnm isn't nearly as good as an iq but the deck is fun :)

Bandini

Drafted UR Elementals in MM2015 tonight, some nifty little combos in there. In one game, I had
soulbrightflamekin.jpg
+
innerflameigniter.jpg

with another 2/2 and 7 land. Activated Soulbright's ability on each creature, giving them all trample and adding 8 red to my mana pool, then tapped my other land and activated Inner-Flame Igniter's ability 3 times, giving my dudes +3/+0 and first strike. Pretty nasty.

red13th

Kind of sad about cutting Lightning Helix, but I think my Cube is the only one in existence without Ajani Vengeant, and Figure of Destiny and Boros Charm are basically uncuttable.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";164880516]It's fate then that you trade it to me, given my location :3[/QUOTE]

We'll see about that! :)

ElyrionX

How bad? Picking up my box shortly

If you're fussy about card condition, it's virtually impossible to find mint condition cards fresh out of the pack. It's that bad.

Also it's anecdotal but I have been seeing and hearing a shitload of Daybreaks being opened.

Yeef

Draft was fun. Ended up on a Simic graft deck that was pretty great. Lots of counter magic (Remand, Mana Leak & Flashfreeze), lots of proliferate, lots of bounce (Repeal, 2 Vapor Snag) and (2 steady progress) and Wild Coatl (easily my MVP). Also had 2 Vince of Vastwood, a Creekwood Liege and a Kavu Primarch. It was hard to interact with my stuff and Helium Squirters made getting through easy.

Also it's anecdotal but I have been seeing and hearing a shitload of Daybreaks being opened.
I opened two in my box.

OnPoint

If you're fussy about card condition, it's virtually impossible to find mint condition cards fresh out of the pack. It's that bad.

Just the one card in my box was not good. I might send it in for replacement, but it's not even all that bad. Also no Daybreaks in my box at all, but I can't complain about my pulls.

Yeef

Also, as a heads up, this set seems to be a lot more plentiful than MM1. Last time we got about aboutn 24 or 26 boxes in our first shipment and 2 boxes in our second (after which it was no longer available). This time we got 40 boxes in our first shipment with the ability to get another 20 in the next shipment. We'll see if it's still available the following week.

kirblar

Also, as a heads up, this set seems to be a lot more plentiful than MM1. Last time we got about aboutn 24 or 26 boxes in our first shipment and 2 boxes in our second (after which it was no longer available). This time we got 40 boxes in our first shipment with the ability to get another 20 in the next shipment. We'll see if it's still available the following week.
The $200 boxes definitely indicated supply wasn't nearly as much a problem.

Angry Grimace

Drafted a pretty killer BW spirits deck but I scrubbed out anyways because I decided to keep too many hands without the 3 Nameless Inversion I drafted. Deck was Grindy value as fuck but just didn't have a lot of reach unless I was able to recur NI reliably. Needed a better finisher of some kind other than swinging for 4 after getting a Waxmane lock going.

Oh well, the format was more fun than I expected and goddamn does Spirits get hosed by Necrogenesis holy shit.

Only rare I played was Endrek Sahr, who I never got out once in three rounds. Opened a Clique and a Twin though.

y2dvd

Drafted a UGR graft deck and went 1-2. My curved sucked and my removals too expensive. Grafting was a bit tricky and unfortunately I didn't have many ways to proliferate. Just got a Splinter Twin really. One guy got to open a Goyf, Daybreak Coronet, and a foil Emrakul while having to pass up a Elesh Norn in the same pack. Life ain't fair sometimes. :'(

Sounded like most of yall opened well. Still haven't picked up my box yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom