• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

I feel like I should bite the bullet and get some JTMS. He won't drop in price since Miracles remains tier 1 in legacy and obviously he won't get reprinted any time soon except for FTV products, which won't affect the price. I have a feeling he will get unbanned in Modern together with BBE. It's not like Twin will benefit from JTMS, or any existing tier one deck anyway.

kirblar

I feel like I should bite the bullet and get some JTMS. He won't drop in price since Miracles remains tier 1 in legacy and obviously he won't get reprinted any time soon except for FTV products, which won't affect the price. I have a feeling he will get unbanned in Modern together with BBE. It's not like Twin will benefit from JTMS, or any existing tier one deck anyway.
Edel's pretty sure Kologhan's Command breaks BBE, unfortunately.

The prices falling on TCG made me happy. If they have fallen this far this soon they can go even further. Prices are being cut in half on all but a few mythics, and even those are dropping 20% or so in just a day.

It's funny to me where we ended up given that the concern before the set came out was that there'd be no supply and card values wouldn't drop.

Jhriad

It's funny to me where we ended up given that the concern before the set came out was that there'd be no supply and card values wouldn't drop.

Who had that concern? The most common concern that I saw was that the EV at release was poor and after release, because of the larger printing, the EV was going to be shit.

EDIT: Are there any cards I should get from MM2015 that are modern staples? I'm talking about the less obvious ones that are sub $5 right now. I'm not real familiar with the format so I figured I should ask.

Hey MagicGAF. After spending altogether too much time and money on the project, I've finally settled on an initial 360 card list for a peasant cube.

You should all draft it on CubeTutor!

My group's current cube is just a goodstuff pile, so I wanted something with a little more intentional design and a flatter power level. It might just be the dumb bots, but I end up with something I'm interested in playing every time I test draft it, so I'm pretty excited!

bigkrev

Drafted, went 2-2 with a mediocre W/B spirit deck I forced

4x Theif of Hope
2x Kami of Ancient Law
1x Moonlit Strider
2x Waxmane Baku
1x Plauged Rusalka
1x Scuttling Death
1x Ghost Council of Orzhova
1x Alloy Myr

1x Long-Forgotten Gohei
1x Wayfarer's Bauble
1x Spectral Procession
1x Raise the Alarm
2x Arrest
2x Burst Lightning
1x Bone Splinters
1x Grim Affliction

2x Mountain
7x Swamp
8x Planes

SB:
+1 Air Servent
+1 Glint Hawk Idol
+1 Island
+1 Azorious Chancery

-2 Burst Lightning
-2 Mountain

Lost to a deck that had 7(I asked him afterwards) Stoic Rebuttals, 2 Mana Leaks, and 3 Telling Times, and then to R/W deck that had both Sunforger (which I had no answer to), and Elesh Norn (which he resolved in game 3 and I survived for about 8 turns looping spirits and saccing to Ghost Concil to get him to Burst Lightning range which I never drew, with Long Forgotten Gohei keeping my stuff alive). Didn't see any Nameless Inversion, and none of the Arcane spells wheeled to me.

Got a Tarmogoyf so I ain't even mad.

Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury is only like 50 cents? Card is super sweet with tokens and Silumgar, the Drifting Death. I don't know if it's better than say, Torrent Elemental in my 4CDC deck though. Worth considering if I wind up adding Liliana to my deck.

Bandini

Went 3-2 in my PPTQ with my stupid jeskai deck. Lost to Burn, beat 2 Splinter Twin decks, beat Affinity, then lost to Grixis Delver in my last match. Was fun other than the Splinter Twin players being butthurt.

OnPoint

I don't think JTMS will be unbanned in modern without a reprint to accompany it shortly after. Like MM2017 or something.

Is anyone open to trades? If so I'll post up my list.

I'm pretty much only interested in Modern playable cards but there are a few cards in Standard I am looking for.

God I hope so. I'll buy a playset.

I don't think JTMS will be unbanned in modern without a reprint to accompany it shortly after. Like MM2017 or something.

Or in Battle for Zendikar Block!(mostly joking because BFZ is going to have what, at least 4 ones we know of already in it? Gideon/Nissa, though in origins, are at a functionally different point from where it was their origins. Kiora will need a new one, Nahiri will get one most likely and S/U are already in Standard.)

Better yet, Magic Origin's Jace is called Jacee the Mind Warper/something to act as a functional reprint :p

ultron87

Got a Goyf in my second draft. Yay lottery! Just gotta open three more at Vegas.

Actual deck was a GW convoke deck, which didn't seem very good as an archetype, but then I was trying to force Spirits in the first pack. So that's probably my fault.

So I'm brand new to MTG. I've always wanted to play since I was younger, but never knew anyone to play with.

I decided to download 2014 in Steam and I'm having a blast!

But my biggest question; are there any good vids around deck building? I want to build a physical deck(and I guess a virtual one too) and play at my local game store, but I don't know how to start building a solid deck.

red13th

One thing I noticed is that the lettering on some MM15 cards are kind of faint, my Daybreak Coronet is a bit hard to read. Did that happen with someone else?

Bandini

Butthurt Splinter Twin players sounds like fun to me.

I understand being upset at bad draws and being in matches where you aren't competitive. It happens to me sometimes. But people who ridicule their opponent or suggest that they only got lucky need to grow up. Take your loss like a man (or woman.)

red13th

So I'm brand new to MTG. I've always wanted to play since I was younger, but never knew anyone to play with.

But my biggest question; are there any good vids around deck building? I want to build a physical deck(and I guess a virtual one too) and play at my local game store, but I don't know how to start building a solid deck.

That depends on which format you want to play! I don't know much about Tolarian Community College but he should help you start.

First, to build up your physical collection, buy a Deckbuilder's Toolkit. If one isn't available, I suppose you can get some intro packs to get both those cards and some booster packs.

Then, if you really want to build a competitive deck for your LGS, I really do recommend just netdecking, substituting cards you don't have as you feel appropriate.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";164940549]Looks like I might be able to buy a Bitterblossom for 20 bucks by the end of the week.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see anyone open one at the drafts I was at.

Some fool trying to get a trade tried to insist that he should get additional value trading me a Clique because Thoughtseize and Flooded Strand are in standard (e.g. he wanted 3 Strands and a Seize for a Clique, which is just a rip off). I politely told him to fuck off. I'm a 32 year old man, not a dumb kid who doesn't know any better.

I did trade off my Foil Dark Confidant for a 3 Cryptic Commands, which is good since foils are kind of hard to move at their "value." Probably gonna just ebay the Foil Iona, Shield of Emeria though. Its a big EDH card but people around here don't give a fuck about foil cards like that.

Yeef

I don't know of any good resources for deckbuilding fundamentals, but here's a few pointers:

• Pay attention to your mana curve. You want to make sure that you always have things you can play in the first 3 turns of the game. Typically, most of your cards should cost 4 mana or less. If you're looking to play more expensive cards, make sure you have lots of ways to get them out early, such as Elvish Mystic or Rampant Growth
  • Pay attention to your mana base. Magic is built around the mana system. Each color has it's own strengths and weaknesses. Playing more colors helps you cover those weaknesses, but the more colors you play, the harder it is to get the right colors of mana on time. Try to stick to single-color or two-color decks to begin with. When you're choosing your lands, pay attention to the ratio of colored mana in your mana costs. Even if you're playing a white & black deck with an equal number of white & black cards, if most of your white cards need 2 white mana like Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit or Brimaz, King of Oreskos while all of your black cards only need 1 black mana, you're going to want more white lands than black. Typically, 60 card decks will use 24 lands and 36 non-land cards. Multi-color lands help you play more colors reliably, but typically will enter the battlefield tapped, so they slow you down a bit as well.
  • Have a goal. Design your deck with a win condition in mind. Do you want to win with a couple of big attacks from huge creatures? Do you want to kill your opponent with hard-to-block creatures? Do you want to overwhelm them with lots of small creatures so that they can't block them all? Do you just want to burn your opponent out with direct damage? There's lots of different strategies, but your deck will play better if most of the cards are pushing in a single direction. If you need a place to start, find a card that you really love and think about what sort of deck it would work best in.
  • Don't skimp on removal. The biggest mistake new players make is that they don't put in many (or any) cards that can mess with their opponent's plans. Removal, especially creature removal, is super-important. Cards like Ultimate Price, Roast and Banishing Light help you put a stop to your opponent's plans. You want a good chunk of removal in most decks. Black tends to be the best color at creature removal, red is a close second. White is third. Then green is a distant fourth. Blue typically doesn't get much permanent removal, but it does get lots of temporary removal, such as Voyage's End or Frost Breath.
  • Playtest Play lots of games with your deck and pay attention to its strengths and weaknesses. When something doesn't work, try to figure out why it didn't work and look for cards that can cover that weakness. A big learning hurdle for new players is best-case-scenario syndrome (often referred to as "Magical Christmasland"). When including cards in your deck, don't just think about how good they are when you're already winning; think about what they do for you when you're in a stalemate and what they do for you when you're in a losing position. A card like Dragon Tempest, for example, is great if you already have a lot of dragons and draw more, but does little if you're in a position where you need to be defensive. A card like Draconic Roar, on the other hand, will almost always be useful no matter whether you're ahead or behind. If you're in ahead, it puts you further ahead by dealing with a creature and potentially doing some damage to your opponent as well. If you're behind, it gets rid of a creature, bringing you closer to parity.

Some notable stuff I have available for trade:

3x Snapcaster Mage
1x foil Delver of Secrets
3x Deathrite Shaman(1 chinese, 1 signed)
3x Griselbrand(1 GP promo, 2 Japanese)

1x Scrubland
1x Misty Rainforest
1x Sacred Foundry
4x Steam Vents
2x Overgrown Tomb
2x Horizon Canopy(mp)
3x Sulfur Falls
1x Mystic Gate

1x Sensei's Divining Top(mp)
1x AEther Vial
1x Spellskite(New Phyrexia)
4x Lotus Petal

4x Splinter Twin(rise of eldrazi)
2x Daybreak(mp, future sight)
2x Leyline of Sanctity(1 chinese, both m11)
1x foil Hyena Umbra

4x Entomb(3 judge promo, 1 Odyssey)
1x foil Terminus
4x Path to Exile(3 Conflux, 1 Judge Promo)
1x Serum Visions
7x Abrupt Decay
1x foil Become Immense

Looking for:

Bitterblossom
Iona, Shield of Emeria
Vendillion Clique
Underground Sea
Force of Will
Stoneforge Mystic
Foreign eternal staples

pictures available upon request

I didn't see anyone open one at the drafts I was at.

Some fool trying to get a trade tried to insist that he should get additional value trading me a Clique because Thoughtseize and Flooded Strand are in standard (e.g. he wanted 3 Strands and a Seize for a Clique, which is just a rip off). I politely told him to fuck off. I'm a 32 year old man, not a dumb kid who doesn't know any better.

I did trade off my Foil Dark Confidant for a 3 Cryptic Commands, which is good since foils are kind of hard to move at their "value." Probably gonna just ebay the Foil Iona, Shield of Emeria though. Its a big EDH card but people around here don't give a fuck about foil cards like that.
I'll trade you for it, Iona is the only Reanimator target I don't have right now. If you're looking for modern/legacy staples I've got an odd assortment of stuff.
One thing I noticed is that the lettering on some MM15 cards are kind of faint, my Daybreak Coronet is a bit hard to read. Did that happen with someone else?
My understanding is that people are getting an abnormally low quality from their MM2 cards.
Is anyone open to trades? If so I'll post up my list.

I'm pretty much only interested in Modern playable cards but there are a few cards in Standard I am looking for.

Please god, do. Not enough trading going on here.

y2dvd

Went 5-2 in sealed for a finish of 10th place. 2 spots away from top 8. :'(

I actually had a really sweet U/W artifact deck. 1 lost due to drawing about 8 lands in a row in both games and the other guy just won cleanly. Protip, don't main board Ulamog without having crazy ramp cards. It was always a dead card in my hand.

Green seemed like the best color so far. It has an amazing curve, grafts, convokes, ramps, etc.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm concerned why you're looking for Bitterblossom and Clique. You're not trying to assemble Faeries are you?

I played that for a while, and all I can say is that I wish Skullclamp was legal (I don't wish Skullclamp was legal).

Angry Grimace

The number of people who will.not.shut.up. (basically all of shitty fucking reddit) about how much of a failure MM2015 is because of EV reasons are just becoming obnoxious as shit. Let people buy the fucken boxes if they want to gamble. People who buy boxes like fucking gambling, dipshits. They're not looking for a safe investment.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";164996673]I'll trade you for it, Iona is the only Reanimator target I don't have right now. If you're looking for modern/legacy staples I've got an odd assortment of stuff. [/QUOTE]

The foil printing is $48.00. You'd probably do better to just get a regular one. The only people I imagine really want the foil are EDH players.

kirblar

The number of people who will.not.shut.up. (basically all of shitty fucking reddit) about how much of a failure MM2015 is are just becoming obnoxious as shit. Let people buy the fucken boxes if they want to gamble. People who buy boxes like fucking gambling, dipshits. They're not looking for a safe investment.
If it was just the shitty bulk rares it'd be one thing, but the packaging issues are a gigantic issue.

The box prices are under MSRP anyway, which may have been their plan in the first place.

Angry Grimace

That's a different issue entirely (although I opened a lot of product and didn't see anything at all like that).

Speaking of opening product, hot damn was my Sealed pool hot garbage. Nothing of value except Daybreak fucking Coronet.

kirblar

That's a different issue entirely (although I opened a lot of product and didn't see anything at all like that).

Speaking of opening product, hot damn was my Sealed pool hot garbage. Nothing of value except Daybreak fucking Coronet.
It's a huge issue for dealers who took singles preorders.

One of my local ones mentioned on twitter that this set's going to take forever to get into inventory because they have to check every card for condition individually.

ElyrionX

If it was just the shitty bulk rares it'd be one thing, but the packaging issues are a gigantic issue.

The box prices are under MSRP anyway, which may have been their plan in the first place.

Yeah, the cards are coming out nowhere in mint condition.

Also, are the box prices in the US already under MSRP? Over here, the shops have been pricing them way above MSRP and people have been cracking the shit out of them.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
All banter aside, the packaging damaging the cards, especially for a high cost, premium item, is simple unacceptable. They really ought to make amends on this one. Not sure how you'd go about doing that, but they can't just ignore this.

Trying to turn Sibsig Muckdraggers into a Legacy card is hurting my brain. I just know I'm at the edge of something, but I don't know what it is. So much research that I'm losing track of myself. Fucking Worldgorger stack interactions bullshit is making me short circuit.

Gurrry

The magic lesson with the gf went well! We pretty much just started into a game and she caught on pretty well. Just have to keep learning more of the terms and how certain cards work before we truly play right, but overall it was a good time!

I bought a deck box, some yellow sleeves, and 2 boosters.. and when I was checking out the lady at the store gave me a free booster of Modern Masters. That was so freaking cool. It had a foil in it, which may not mean alot, but I fucking love foils. lol.

Thanks for the help duders! Im glad I have this thread to come to for suggestions and help like this!

FeD.nL

Thoughtseize. Its not as cheap as it ever has been, but Thoughtseize is still in standard and will almost assuredly get more and more expensive because it is Thoughtseize.

The land base will be annoying - Godless Shrine (at least 2, ideally 4) is pretty much required as you can fetch a B/W dual off of any black or white fetchland. Allied Color fetchlands are as cheap as they will ever be right now. Windswept Heath is sure to get more expensive in the future because Abzan colored decks are super popular in Modern. There is a wide-expectation that Battle For Zendikar will have the Enemy Colored Fetchlands, so I'd be leery of picking up Marsh Flats quite yet.

Sorin is like 10 bucks, but honestly, he's basically the reason you can ever beat several modern decks, so I'd consider him a relative priority. Still in Standard for another year, though, so no real pricing reason to rush it.

Lastly, Bitterblossom is not necessary at all and a lot of people don't run Bitterblossom. It is also $40 a piece. It also got reprinted starting today, but I don't expect it to really move much in price. I'd be very leery of picking up a set if you're just casually playing or trying to scrimp on costs.

I'd be a little surprised if Inquisition of Kozilek doesn't show up again.

Once again thank you. I went ahead and traded my Elspeth and Sword of FaF away for 3x Sorin, Solemn Visitor and ordered 4x godless shrine. I guess the thoughtseizes are next on the list.

ElyrionX

All banter aside, the packaging damaging the cards, especially for a high cost, premium item, is simple unacceptable. They really ought to make amends on this one. Not sure how you'd go about doing that, but they can't just ignore this.

This is their official response btw:

We have heard concerns about Modern Masters 2015 Edition booster packaging. You can be assured that the new Modern Masters 2015 packaging is subject to rigorous security, safety, and quality testing. As always, we recommend purchasing your Magic products from a trusted source, such as a WPN location.

This company desperately needs better management.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That's fucked. The insulation that anybody who got damaged cards just bought theirs from some off-brand vendor is garbage.

ElyrionX

That's fucked. The insulation that anybody who got damaged cards just bought theirs from some off-brand vendor is garbage.

To be fair, it is not clear what that statement is in response to. It could be the early allegations of packs being easily resealed and not the damaged cards. But with WOTC, who can really tell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom