• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

The thought process could also be that it's similar in power level to Thoughtseize, which is rare.
Don't be silly. It's the current price tag.

This is now a thing.
en_JBDcoeGqnh.png
Image.ashx

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The only reason I even care about Conspiracy is the possibility of some reprints of note.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wow, Sovereign's Realm is shockingly bad. No one is ever going to use that card. Ever. What were they thinking?

Edit: I was interpreting it wrong. Not so bad after all.

I like the idea, its almost like they fixed BS variance!

I never really played Conspiracy 1 but it seems like there's way too much shit to keep track of.

kirblar

The amount of people rationalizing the IoK rarity change as anything other than a secondary market-based move is disturbingly high.

Yeef

The amount of people rationalizing the IoK rarity change as anything other than a secondary market-based move is disturbingly high.
It's clearly a market-based decision, considering Cabal Therapy was reprinted in EMA at uncommon. That being said, it would be a pretty bad uncommon for this set mechanically. Targeted discard, in general, isn't really great for multiplayer.

Although, there is some interesting design space there. I wouldn't be surprised to see a card something like this in the set: "Excluding you, each player, other than you gets to thoughtseize the player to his or her left."

Daedardus

I don't know about this set, seems like complete chaos to draft. I just hope they don't reprint the fetches in here like someone speculated they would. They are better left for a normal set run.

This is now a thing.
en_JBDcoeGqnh.png
]

Can I use this coming November 8th?

Conspiracy is interesting and cool, but like Angry Grimace, I'm more interested in the reprints and also the cards that are pushed for other formats.

Random thought, if a card like this was printed:

Meritocracy - U
Instant
You become the monarch.
Draw a card.

Could it see Legacy play? Since it draws you two cards on your turn, and more later on if your opponent doesn't deal combat damage to you.

Daedardus

Random thought, if a card like this was printed:

Meritocracy - U
Instant
You become the monarch.
Draw a card.

Could it see Legacy play? Since it draws you two cards on your turn, and more later on if your opponent doesn't deal combat damage to you.

But can you be the Monarch in Legacy and does it do anything? Maybe it is just an empty effect.

alternade

Cards that make thematic sense that I want to see reprinted:
Bribery
Treachery
Go for the throat
Past in flames

I can't think of a land cycle that works

But can you be the Monarch in Legacy and does it do anything? Maybe it is just an empty effect.

I would think so because it doesn't state drafting.

Unless they make rules that Monarch is only something specifically for drafting or they add Monarch cards to Legacy/Vintage ban lists.

I've seen that the Commander community is excited for it.

red13th

Treachery is on the reserved list. Bribery would be great.

My wants are Land Tax, Smokestack, Armageddon, Tangle Wire, Opposition, Upheaval, Plow Under, Exhume and Mind Twist.

As someone who wasn't around for Conspiracy 1 I have to say this set looks incredibly interesting to draft. It's made for 4-players free-for-all, right?

Lucario

I wonder if we'll get a 3 mana way to become the Monarch. It'd be an impossible to remove Phyreixan Arena in so many matchups.

Ashodin

IoK rare. smh lol

Let's dispel this fiction that WOTC doesn't know what they're doing, WOTC knows exactly what they're doing

IoK rare. smh lol

Let's dispel this fiction that WOTC doesn't know what they're doing, WOTC knows exactly what they're doing

It gets the little foil stamp on it.

It's funny/sad that over time the Chinese printers would be printing expensive uncommons from not too terribly old sets.

Angry Grimace

yuck
I love Conspiracy and I'd hate a 3rd Unset.
Let's hope this is another one of those things only MaRo agrees with.

I don't think the market exists for a completely non-tournament legal booster product in 2016.

The heavy majority of cards in Conspiracy are at least legal and even playable in EDH.

Santiako

I remember the only single selling point for Unhinged being the full art lands, but now they do those every once in a while, so there's no point realy.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Seems like state is very difficult to track in Conspiracy. y/n?

So it looks like you can become the Monarch in eternal formats? Cause they don't have the Conspiracy border.

Anything that isn't a weird alternate card type or a non-black border works in eternal formats if it works everywhere. This isn't even a question, if the rules introduce the concept of "the monarch" then it works in all eternal formats.

Pretty much. The mythic one also seems way too build around considering you'll need a lot of draw in your deck to play it and you also seemingly still need a 40 card deck meaning you want to draft something to be able to remove cards from your pool.

This seems like a much stronger 5c enabler than Worldknit was. Just treat every jank card you get as if it's a basic land and then draft five color goodstuff with impunity.

* The monarch was extremely similar to a mechanic earmarked for Ham block (after Kaladesh and Barrel), one that was allocated for that block from earliest planning.

What kind of setting that isn't Paliano would make sense to have something intangible to fight over? Off-the-wall guess: Ham is Return to New Phyrexia and it would represent the Praetors warring over who becomes the next Father/Mother of Machines.

Oh, I mean, the proximate cause of this shift is absolutely the secondary market value (although IoK is already almost back down to its pre-OGW price so it's not actually something that needs that much protecting) but I think it's better as a rare anyway.

It's seems like they been doing this more often recently though.

They've been making reprint sets and actively targeting Legacy/Modern cards for reprints more often recently, so that innately implies more rarity shifts as well.

What kind of setting that isn't Paliano would make sense to have something intangible to fight over? Off-the-wall guess: Ham is Return to New Phyrexia and it would represent the Praetors warring over who becomes the next Father/Mother of Machines.

Oh, I mean, the proximate cause of this shift is absolutely the secondary market value (although IoK is already almost back down to its pre-OGW price so it's not actually something that needs that much protecting) but I think it's better as a rare anyway.

They've been making reprint sets and actively targeting Legacy/Modern cards for reprints more often recently, so that innately implies more rarity shifts as well.

For the first part, my off the wall guess is Ravnica 3, because Jace has left the plane unattended for months now as the Living Guildpact. He's going to come back to all hell broken loose, which could make the "Monarch" mechanic work as the Guilds are now in full out war.

As for the second part, hasn't MaRo basically decided Reprints of Legacy/Modern staples aren't going to happen in Standard very much because of the Thoughtsieze/Mutavault Combo in THS Standard? I mean, reprint sets work some, but when Wizards is selling $10 packs and only 30% of the Rares are actually modern playable, it doesn't really help out the market.

If it's after the block after Kaladesh, wouldn't that likely be a new plane?

Yeef

What little we know about Vryn is that there's a war over who controls the Mage Rings. That can fit, but with a little massaging, just about any plane can fit.

I used to kind of want another Un-set, just because I thought it was funny.

But now that I know more, they really shouldn't waste their time. The cards end up being useless other than collecting in a binder and referring back to for laughs.

Yeef

I think a conspiracy-like unset is a decent compromise. Have 1 or 2 joke cards that don't really work inside the rules per pack and have the rest of the cards just have whimsical flavor, but be functional.

I would be interested in an Unset 3. Plus, from what I've seen, there are a decent number of people with silver bordered cubes and Commander decks.

That said, I do think MaRo should get over his insistence that there should be no black bordered cards in Unsets. I think wacky alternate art versions of format staples would be popular.

I think a conspiracy-like unset is a decent compromise. Have 1 or 2 joke cards that don't really work inside the rules per pack and have the rest of the cards just have whimsical flavor, but be functional.

Maybe some "Jester" cards in Conspiracy, would fit the theme of a royal court, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom