• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

I regret bringing up Un-set, it's something I absolutely hate about Magic (for no actual reason, I just hate un-sets) and now we're talking about it here. :p

There's just no reason to do silver-bordered cards as part of a booster set. Do precon sets of decks with 50-100 brand-new silver-bordered cards mixed in with regular black-border cards that are properly whimsical or fit with the theme of each deck.

As for the second part, hasn't MaRo basically decided Reprints of Legacy/Modern staples aren't going to happen in Standard very much because of the Thoughtsieze/Mutavault Combo in THS Standard?

Maro has essentially nothing to do with Standard-legal reprints, lol.

If it's after the block after Kaladesh, wouldn't that likely be a new plane?

It's the block after the block after Kaladesh.

bigkrev

BurningWishCN2.png

Good Eternal reprint. Hope it's a one-of and not the full cycle

Thought I was drafting hot garbage but I got bailed out by a p3p6 Brain Freeze and got to steamroll a couple opponents. Hard to get more than two matches per limited queue on Cockatrice, though.

kjhlkjwap1t.png

duxstar

People on reddit arguing that there are no good spells in standard right now. The worst Argument I've seen is "We want a supreme verdict/Wrath of god/Damnation".

Are they even looking at the cards right now, Languish is the sweeper of choice over straight "destroy all creatures" because of all the creatures that grant indestructible. Could you imagine how much better Avacyn becomes in a world without a -4/-4 sweeper and just a straight destroy all creatures ?

Their argument is that there aren't any good spells in standard anymore. When we just came out of formats with Thoughtseizes, Sphinx's Revelations, Dig through Time, Treasure Cruise, Abzan Charm, Atarka's Command, Kologhan's Command and a conditional 2 mana counterspell in silumgar's scorn.

If we have a year without them who the hell cares ? Sure collected Company is dominant at the moment, and dromoka's command is good, but they both rotate out in 2 months, when I'm sure we will get broken cards again for the "spells stink and its all about creatures now a days" crowd.

It just frustrates me when there was literally no answer for dig through time for 2 + years, other than to play blue yourself and counter it; or thoughtseize it out of their hand.

There were literally creatureless control decks at pro tour dragons of tarkir, and yet we need to go back to making magic more about "spells" again.

Acd4XY8.jpg

Protector of the Throne
Creature - Giant
When Protector of the Throne enters the battlefield, you become the monarch.
If damage would be dealt to you, you may instead have that damage be dealt to Protector of the Throne.

Firemind

Last weekend at Pro Tour Eldritch Moon in Sydney, Pedro "_megafone_" Carvalho unveiled his creation and took it to a 9-1 record in Standard. Exploiting cards like Thermo-Alchemist and Fevered Visions, it was a great foil to the many Emrakul, the Promised End decks. While only a single player played it at the Pro Tour, it was the clear breakout deck at Grand Prix Rimini, at 14.9% of the Day Two metagame.

The Top 8 featured No. 3 Lukas Blohon and Simon Enckels with their takes on the deck. Both of them had Stormchaser Mage instead of Thing in the Ice, and Blohon made several small updates on top of that.

As far as numbers are concerned—yes, I did the math—Blue-Red Fevered Burn had a 79% (26-7) win percentage versus assorted Emrakul decks in Day Two. That's incredibly high, and it's the main reason for its success. But not every matchup is positive. For instance, it posted a below-average 47% (37-39) against Bant Company over the course of Day Two. "The matchup is good for Bant Company," Lukas Blohon told me after his quarterfinal loss. "If they play perfectly, it's really hard. And on the draw, Visions doesn't do anything. So I don't think blue-red is the thing to save Standard from the Bant menace."
Naamloos-1.gif

I am relatively new so maybe I don't have the proper appreciation for the game, but Un-sets are just mental masturbation. The cards are funny for a minute and then it's over. If they were never made again, nothing would be lost, in my opinion... I honestly can't imagine caring less about a particular Magic product if I had to sit through spoilers of such a set. Seems agonizing lol

G.ZZZ

Anything that isn't a weird alternate card type or a non-black border works in eternal formats if it works everywhere. This isn't even a question, if the rules introduce the concept of "the monarch" then it works in all eternal formats.

Cards that say "draft" on their text have all been banned. I'm thinking that they're also add a new rule where the conspiracy colored border make the cards not playable in eternal formats, and maybe avoid bloating the B&R even more with each conspiracy set. It's not like a 5/4 flier for 2BB would make any splash there anyway.

Just thinking about it, why wouldn't they make draft cards not legal in eternal? Sure, you lose part of the functionality of the cards, but who care. They would just be mediocre cards or just bad cards more often than not and not see any play anyway.

EDIT: the lich is deceptively good. It's a 5 mana 4/2 that edict AND draw a card at least, possibly more. It's nowhere as good as Strix, for example, but it has to be seen how actually good the monarch effect can be.

Cards that say "draft" on their text have all been banned. I'm thinking that they're also add a new rule where the conspiracy colored border make the cards not playable in eternal formats, and maybe avoid bloating the B&R even more with each conspiracy set. It's not like a 5/4 flier for 2BB would make any splash there anyway.

Just thinking about it, why wouldn't they make draft cards not legal in eternal? Sure, you lose part of the functionality of the cards, but who care. They would just be mediocre cards or just bad cards more often than not and not see any play anyway.

EDIT: the lich is deceptively good. It's a 5 mana 4/2 that edict AND draw a card at least, possibly more. It's nowhere as good as Strix, for example, but it has to be seen how actually good the monarch effect can be.

Only conspiracies and cards that only work while drafting are banned this card for instance is vintage and legacy legal

Didn't they say they were going to be rotating back and forth between new planes and returns now?

Just that viewed over a span of multiple years, it would average out to about 50/50. They specifically mentioned that we'd get years with two new planes, years like this last one with two returns, and then split in both possible orders.

Cards that say "draft" on their text have all been banned.

Only the Conspiracy card type ones are banned (and that'll remain true for this set.) You're perfectly welcome to play, say, Deal Broker in a legacy-legal deck if you want to for some reason.

EDIT: lol why did all three of us say deal broker

Yeah but it would be nice to have some options.

Yeah, I mean, you're not wrong, but RW is definitely the most aggro of the ten guild pairs. On average you're just gonna see stuff that's about attacking.

(This is why even though I like most of the cards they did print, I wish they'd used the two-color Commander decks to fill holes in some of these color combos in a spot where story considerations or whatever wouldn't be an issue.)

RW should be the colour of punishment. The aggressiveness of Boros never made sense considering they are supposed to be reactive.
Their keywords should have been punishing opponents instead rewarding aggression.

MoxManiac

Yeah, I mean, you're not wrong, but RW is definitely the most aggro of the ten guild pairs. On average you're just gonna see stuff that's about attacking.

(This is why even though I like most of the cards they did print, I wish they'd used the two-color Commander decks to fill holes in some of these color combos in a spot where story considerations or whatever wouldn't be an issue.)

Honestly, I would think RG would be the most aggressive color combo, but eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom