• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

reprint
desertion.jpg

That's really old art from the old art contract era, I'm really glad they didn't replace it

red13th

Gorgeous RFK art, damn I wish it was on a card I could add to my cube.
I hope someday they reprint RFK's Earthquake, insta swap

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Their visual direction is so on point. Its another urban magical setting yet I'd be hard pressed to mix up most of these with anything from Ravnica

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";213839961]That and mass land destruction but people don't always appreciate that in commander.[/QUOTE]

Red and white both tax just only ever mono coloured or in colour combinations not RW.
RG gets the damaging punishment UW gets the taxing.

There is an Esper, Naya, Orzhov, Selesnya and Azorious commander that directly reference enchantments but no Boros commander that wants you to build an enchantment deck.
There's even a RW modern pillowfort enchantment deck.

EDIT: lol why did all three of us say deal broker

In my defense, I actually built a deck with Deal Broker in it very recently, so... :)

Super funny though lol

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";213839961]That and mass land destruction but people don't always appreciate that in commander.[/QUOTE]

A shame. Love the "reset" aspect of symmetrical land destruction (though, the deck doing it is obviously more likely to be set up to benefit). I find it interesting that because variance is so high in Magic, in no small part to how mana / resources are generated, that it makes that type of card more valuable and "hate" against it is very, very soft nowadays.

I still have no idea what I'm doing.

Eldritch Offering 1.1

kjhlkj5asqo.png

I'm trying to build a Standstill version with stuff like Seal of Removal but having a land-light deck that wants a ton of fetches goes really poorly with the Standstill plan. I should probably get rid of the planeswalkers. It's hard to hit three mana in this deck and it only matters if I want to cast Emrakul off of exactly offering Tasigur with no extra mana.

All I want is a cheap card that dumps a ton of stuff into my graveyard. Maybe I should just be playing Insolent Neonate and Faithless Looting.

edit: actually I should play Karn or Ugin.

Just barely starting to look like a deck, kinda...

kjhlkjzssdh.png

So the basic idea is that if you get 6 card types in the yard, sacrificing Gurmag Angler means you can cast either Emrakul or Karn with one land in play.

Imperial Recruiter that can't get Painter Servant (which is painfully intentional), which means it's likely useless

But it gets Hornet Queen :)

RW should be the colour of punishment. The aggressiveness of Boros never made sense considering they are supposed to be reactive.
Their keywords should have been punishing opponents instead rewarding aggression.

Doesn't really fit red, all red's "punishment" is proactive and just in general it's the least reactive color of the five. Causing problems for your opponent because they did something you didn't like is much more BW.

If you want to imagine a RW control archetype, it still has to be proactive; the problem is it's a completely miserable mana-denial/taxation/sweeper monstrosity that's completely miserable if it's good in constructed formats.

Honestly, I would think RG would be the most aggressive color combo, but eh.

RG is more oriented to ramp/midrange; it's got a game plan built around doing damage to your face but it's going to top off higher than RW and have more options to avoid petering out.

Doesn't really fit red, all red's "punishment" is proactive and just in general it's the least reactive color of the five. Causing problems for your opponent because they did something you didn't like is much more BW.

If you want to imagine a RW control archetype, it still has to be proactive; the problem is it's a completely miserable mana-denial/taxation/sweeper monstrosity that's completely miserable if it's good in constructed formats.

It doesn't need to be orzhov punish what you don't like. Lawful punishment could be symmetrical stuff like
that could be the identity of Boros.

Something along the lines of and this is generic of the top of my head.

RW
Creature
Whenever an opponent plays his second spell of the turn NAME deals 3 damage to him.
2/2

Softening whites denial of actions by punishing it instead, can be either symmetrical or asymmetrical.

The keyword could be.
"Repercussion - If an opponent attacked another player since your last turn ended..."

Super-aggro creatures that get part of their aggro power from punishing the opponent for stuff they normally do?

I picked Eidolon because it punishes symmetrically and it's hardly super aggro it's a 2/2 for RR that has not a single aggressive keyword.
Monastery Swiftspear and Goblin Guide are super aggro, Eidolon punishes modern deck building more than anything.

I wouldn't take combat away from Boros just the need to go wide.

duxstar

Since i dont know every card in existence i cant imagine where that new recruiter goes in D + T , but the fact that it can grab thalia , Mom , aven mindcensor , Spirit of the labyrinth and Flickerwisp, phyrexian revoker immediately makes it intriguing to say the least , im sure theres other cards that i cant even think of right now

ultron87

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";213856080]Just barely starting to look like a deck, kinda...

So the basic idea is that if you get 6 card types in the yard, sacrificing Gurmag Angler means you can cast either Emrakul or Karn with one land in play.

[/QUOTE]

Is getting 6 types in your graveyard after presumably delving a bunch to cast an Angler something that happens appreciably quicker than other ramp options?

Thinking about I'd love juxtaposing humility on a commander that doesn't affect itself.

2RW He who stands above all
Legendary Creature - Human, Warrior
Other creatures lose all abilities and have base power and toughness 1/1.
3/3

Though that might just end up supporting a go wide token deck anyways.
Boros is all about fite, sorry Flamenhautpt
We're no Boros Brothers no more.

Azorius punishes. Boros is 4 fite

Tajic will stay best RW commando

Azorious makes the law, Boros executes it.
Not to mention that Avacyn is the best RW commander but that's kind of cheating.

That would be broken.

Boros needs broken at this point, it's by far the worst colour combination in EDH.
Could make it a 2/2 though. It'd just be thematically important that he doesn't lose to anyone else in combat.

Ashodin

You say Boros is the worst color in EDH when I worldslayer win the game every time (so satisfying)

Granted my EDH pool is not an arms race

Also Avacyn is total cheats but yea she's amazing as a commander

Boros needs broken at this point, it's by far the worst colour combination in EDH.
Could make it a 2/2 though. It'd just be thematically important that he doesn't lose to anyone else in combat.

Perhaps make it, "Other non-legendary creatures" rather than all other creatures on the board...

Humility is such a powerful card as it is, and having Humility on a repeatedly castable stick is just... OP

Is getting 6 types in your graveyard after presumably delving a bunch to cast an Angler something that happens appreciably quicker than other ramp options?

I don't know yet. I don't know what the fastest way to build this thing is. Delve creatures plus Burnt Offering has been a pet interaction of mine for a while and I'm still not sure what exactly to do with it.

It's worth noting that Burnt Offering + Gurmag Angler itself is already a third of the card types necessary to cast Emrakul without tapping extra mana. Burnt Offering plus Sibsig Muckdraggers can cast Emrakul on three lands with no other cards in the graveyard. Or one land and a Lotus Petal.

You say Boros is the worst color in EDH when I worldslayer win the game every time (so satisfying)

Granted my EDH pool is not an arms race

Also Avacyn is total cheats but yea she's amazing as a commander
Yes Boros can win but it's really just a weak colour combination in a format like EDH. You can't out aggro 3 players that all start at 40 life. You can't outgrind Green or Black decks and you can't outdraw Green, Black or Blue.

I regularly win with my Avacyn Angel deck but the usual response is still "why aren't you playing Kalia". Because she's not an angel, duh.

For CA I have to resort to artifacts for the most case and that oeads me to the best CA in Boros that's not MLD, Sunforger.
Always feels so good to have it in play.
Perhaps make it, "Other non-legendary creatures" rather than all other creatures on the board...

Humility is such a powerful card as it is, and having Humility on a repeatedly castable stick is just... OP

That'd just be bad. If it's not in a standard set I think it'd be a fine card. OP is fine, so many cards in EDH are and none of them are Boros coloured.

Firemind

Azorious makes the law, Boros executes it.
Not to mention that Avacyn is the best RW commander but that's kind of cheating.

Mono red/white are worse. #mononoaware #fuckboros

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why does Boros need a color identity other than dudes swinging. I feel like y'all are constantly trying to expand every single color's, pair or shardwedge's identity.

R/W is the Military/Combat guild.

But that hoses Commanders, repeatedly. I wasn't even looking at it from a Standard point of view.

I could see it getting banned in 1 vs 1 at the very least.

Isn't that fine? Competitive usually isn't completely commander reliant or if it is they pack a ton of answers. RW doesn't even have great ramp s just continue to remove him.
Ruric Thar hoses entire archetypes and barely anyone complains about him.

Why does Boros need a color identity other than dudes swinging. I feel like y'all are constantly trying to expand every single color's, pair or shardwedge's identity.

R/W is the Military/Combat guild.

because other colour combination have more than one identity and so could RW. There could at peas be some chaotic good thrown in there considering that's clearly RW

Isn't that fine? Competitive usually isn't completely commander reliant or if it is they pack a ton of answers. RW doesn't even have great ramp s just continue to remove him.
Ruric Thar hoses entire archetypes and barely anyone complains about him.

I think that if WotC printed that Commander, it would have a drawback stapled onto it somewhere. Maybe a high casting cost, or the ability only triggers when that Commander attacks... something. Ruric Thar as you mentioned has a slight drawback of being forced to attack each turn (so he potentially gets blocked by a bigger creature / deathtouch creature and dies, or dies to some conditional removal).

Humility is just so good, to be able to always have it to recast is pretty amazing. That's just my opinion though. Since you want it so much, hopefully they give you some nice RW toys to play with in Commander.

41va58yLWML.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Philosophically the other way to go with R/W is chaotic vigilantes working for a good cause, i.e the A-team or something like that. What would that look like mechanically? A strategy built around chaos and blowing stuff up with...a white component?

That's because R/G is the second worst colour combo.

edit: well maybe rakdos is worse
arguably mono green is already stronger than RW
I think that if WotC printed that Commander, it would have a drawback stapled onto it somewhere. Maybe a high casting cost, or the ability only triggers when that Commander attacks... something. Ruric Thar as you mentioned has a slight drawback of being forced to attack each turn (so he potentially gets blocked by a bigger creature / deathtouch creature and dies, or dies to some conditional removal).

Humility is just so good, to be able to always have it to recast is pretty amazing. That's just my opinion though. Since you want it so much, hopefully they give you some nice RW toys to play with in Commander.
You're correct and WotC will just not print it or any RW legendary that doesn't care about go wide.
You can't make a commander that undoes all the issues RW faces singlehandedly so instead it really needs something OP and Avacyn is the closest we got to and she doesn't even cost red.
I just love the idea of humility on a stick, as it's essentially the opposite in arrogance.

Basandra and Aurelia are sweet R/W commanders.

Basandra is actively bad for Boros since it gives players the ability to play in their combat phase w/o getting interrupted by anyone.
Aurelia quickly gets boring since all you're doing is dig for equipments equip her up and swing for combat damage. Before avacyn came out I used Aurelia and Ibarely had any equipments and no way to tutor for them yet still won games that way.

Samus is definitely Boros. Red's idea of freedom, White's "For the greater good" duty, and the combination in her blowing the Space Station from Fusion to smithereens despite it being "for the greater good". She also has a level of respect for authority(See Fusion, Metroid Prime 3, and Other M). She's the heir to the Chozo, who are Azorious/Simic/Bant IMO(White's Greater Good, Blue's engineering, and Green's respect for nature see Talon 4's Chozo). I could see an argument for her being Jeskai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom