• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was meaning character wise, but Ruric Thar blanked my mind. Ruric can't make up for the rest of the clan sucking though. Boros gave us Boros Charm, which is GOAT Charm.

Toxi

Banned
I was meaning character wise, but Ruric Thar blanked my mind. Ruric can't make up for the rest of the clan sucking though. Boros gave us Boros Charm, which is GOAT Charm.
Gruul includes Green, which automatically means it's not the worst color combo in EDH.

The worst is Boros, with Rakdos being the second-worst. Boros has horrible problems with card advantage, while Rakdos is basically a worse version of mono-Black because Red provides nothing for Black beyond artifact destruction.

Doesn't Boros already have a secondary identity with equipment-matters? Granted, I don't think we've seen that expanded upon since Jor Kadeen but it's something.

Hero

Assemble the Legion is probably the best example of a well designed card that isn't just "some efficient dude that taps sideways." Even though it makes dudes, the card is just awesome, even if it is a little slow.

Ashodin

Doesn't Boros already have a secondary identity with equipment-matters? Granted, I don't think we've seen that expanded upon since Jor Kadeen but it's something.

Weapons Trainer!

Assemble the Legion is probably the best example of a well designed card that isn't just "some efficient dude that taps sideways." Even though it makes dudes, the card is just awesome, even if it is a little slow.

Legion's Initiative is also good.

Wipe prevention.

yeah equipments matter to anthem your go wide board. Tajic does equipments matter better by being indestructible.

My Angel deck repeatedly just wins off Legion + any PW but Legion + Skullclamp is also GOAT

Randy just considered Flooded Strand a restricted card and then said "Oh, I guess Flooded Strand isn't restricted yet...".

wat

Weird mistake or did he let something slip?

Randy just considered Flooded Strand a restricted card and then said "Oh, I guess Flooded Strand isn't restricted yet...".

wat

Weird mistake or did he let something slip?

It can't be a ban on Flooded Strand, because they haven't started the discussion on bans/regulations(and Vintage is so far removed from 99.99% of what WotC does that I can't imagine a fetch being restricted)

It's not like there's any cards in Magic that contain the word "Flooded"/"Strand" that are broken, so I'm going to chalk it up to Randy being Randy..

Going along the lines of Boros being "the police", then perhaps a "Boros Commander" would be one that actually enforces rules.
So if a creature/artifact/enchantment were put in to play any way other than being cast, the Boros Commander would deal damage to that player?
If a creature were sacrificed, the Boros Commander would deal damage to that creatures controller?

So if a creature/artifact/enchantment were put in to play any way other than being cast, the Boros Commander would deal damage to that player?
If a creature were sacrificed, the Boros Commander would deal damage to that creatures controller?

Hate bears that damage the opponent for doing stuff instead of just forbidding it outright would definitely be in-color for Boros, yeah.

Hate bears that damage the opponent for doing stuff instead of just forbidding it outright would definitely be in-color for Boros, yeah.

that's what I've been saying.

RW Angry Thalia
Legendary Creature - Human
Whenever an opponent draws a card he or she discards a card at random unless he or she pays 1.
3/2

Speaking of which random discard should be red

Sounds good. PRINT IT AND SHIP IT!

W4LIacC.gif

Stupid Formats #37: Trump Constructed

1. Gold Cards and Lands Only
2. If you are losing, it is allowed and encouraged to declare the game to be rigged.

Samus is definitely Boros. Red's idea of freedom, White's "For the greater good" duty, and the combination in her blowing the Space Station from Fusion to smithereens despite it being "for the greater good". She also has a level of respect for authority(See Fusion, Metroid Prime 3, and Other M). She's the heir to the Chozo, who are Azorious/Simic/Bant IMO(White's Greater Good, Blue's engineering, and Green's respect for nature see Talon 4's Chozo). I could see an argument for her being Jeskai.
Well, at one point she was painted as a bounty hunter, not as a tool of the Federation. I can see how you can spin that, though.

Space Pirates are definitely Esper.

Yeah, I don't think that's justifiable. It's just giving red stuff from black because black is actually a good color.

See I disagree. Red constantly gets to discard cards at random of their own volition. Red just got reaffirmed as a colour of madness. Red is the colour of chaos. The effect is similar but distinct enough between discard of their choice, discard of your choice and discard at random with the latter clearly being the chaotic version.

Firemind

gruul has a lot of avenues to build fun decks. there's ruric thar who's anti-fun. xenagos combos with trampling fatties, malignus and putrefax. wort the raidmother for spell decks. radha if you like to aggro and blow up lands in duel commander. atarka if you like dragons. rosheen meanderer for the johnnies of the world.

boros has angels who attack, tajic (why is he indestructible anyway?) and jor kadeen. which isn't much different from rakdos to be fair but still.

bMwYPYR.png

gruul has a lot of avenues to build fun decks. there's ruric thar who's anti-fun. xenagos combos with trampling fatties, malignus and putrefax. wort the raidmother for spell decks. radha if you like to aggro and blow up lands in duel commander. atarka if you like dragons. rosheen meanderer for the johnnies of the world.

boros has angels who attack, tajic (why is he indestructible anyway?) and jor kadeen. which isn't much different from rakdos to be fair but still.
Kalemne is surprisingly strong.
Also Rakdos has some interesting and most importantly different options with Mogis, Rakdos #2, Malfegor, Tymaret and Tsabo Tavo.

OnPoint

I mean a 9 mana spell should win the game. Insurrection is what, 8 mana? This is a bullshit card, but whatever, most 9 mana spells should be.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
bMwYPYR.png

Kalemne is surprisingly strong.
Also Rakdos has some interesting and most importantly different options with Mogis, Rakdos #2, Malfegor, Tymaret and Tsabo Tavo.
I have no idea what happens if you play this and one half of a meld creature.

PsionBolt

Well:

Comp rules said:
701.34b Only two cards belonging to the same meld pair can be melded. Tokens, cards that aren’t meld cards, or meld cards that don’t form a meld pair can’t be melded.
701.34c If an effect instructs a player to meld cards that can’t be melded, they stay in their current zone.
Example: A player owns and controls Midnight Scavengers and a token that’s a copy of Graf Rats. At the beginning of combat, both are exiled but can’t be melded. Midnight Scavengers remains exiled and the exiled token ceases to exist.

See I disagree. Red constantly gets to discard cards at random of their own volition. Red just got reaffirmed as a colour of madness. Red is the colour of chaos. The effect is similar but distinct enough between discard of their choice, discard of your choice and discard at random with the latter clearly being the chaotic version.

Random discard for an opponent isn't "chaotic" the way red is, though, it's actually just a harsher version of the mechanic black already does (i.e. regular discard.) Adding this to red so red aggro type decks have in-color hand disruption just makes those decks feel less red and eliminates the reason to even go into a particular secondary color, it's like the textbook example of a bad color pie expansion.

All the meld rules are painstakingly written to avoid basically every potential bad situation by just not actually doing anything in those cases, thankfully.

OnPoint

Commander Planeswalkers

Ob Nixilis - Alive and kicking, part of BFZ
Nahiri - Alive and kicking, part of SoI
Daretti - Alive and kicking, part of Con2
Freyalise - Confirmed dead, part of TSP
Teferi - ???
Is Teferi the only one that's MIA? When do we get our update??

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Commander Planeswalkers

Ob Nixilis - Alive and kicking, part of BFZ
Nahiri - Alive and kicking, part of SoI
Daretti - Alive and kicking, part of Con2
Freyalise - Confirmed dead, part of TSP
Teferi - ???
Is Teferi the only one that's MIA? When do we get our update??

He's not MIA. He's just hanging around on Dominaria. He lost his spark in the events leading up to the Mending, although he could obviously just get it back like Ob Nixilis did.

He's also immortal independent of being a Planeswalker so whenever we go back there we're like 100% sure to see him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom