• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Rakdos having an "artifact matters" Planeswalker is random as fuck.

bigkrev

CqEXWyNUEAEVJa2.png

Alright, I forgive them for Kaya not being even worth of a consideration in Eternal. This probably won't see play either, but is still really interesting and has one of the most absurd Ults that doesn't just win the game on the spot

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So as someone who gives no shits about Conspiracy, is this a popular format?

Also, do any of you jabronies play pauper on MtGO?

Its a good party investment, basically. Like, I played original Conspiracy three times, once at the pre-release, once when some friends were in town and someone was like "I'll buy a box!" and once at a wedding party

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Alright, I forgive them for Kaya not being even worth of a consideration in Eternal. This probably won't see play either, but is still really interesting and has one of the most absurd Ults that doesn't just win the game on the spot

It's very difficult to make an Eternal focused Planeswalker unless its at least part blue.

i'm not sure how those abilities are green/black

Limiting opponents' draws is more black than it is blue (although it's probably white foremost.) Drawing cards when your creatures are targeted is blue/green.

Rakdos having an "artifact matters" Planeswalker is random as fuck.

I mean, I think the black is really providing the creature kill and graveyard elements here, it's like... I dunno, Sarcatog. It makes sense if you start with mono-red, mono-artifact-matters Daretti and bend him towards black.

OnPoint

I didn't realize Teferi was alive and just chilling. He's gonna be important to the story at some point, I think.

I like that Daretti is red-black. They needed a red-black aligned character in the planeswalker stable, though I still think it should have been Tibalt. I'll always be #TeamTibalt . The abilities make sense to me. Chalequin makes a good point that it's red leaning black, not strictly red-black. Which is interesting from a design perspective.

Santiako

That white creature looks really good.

Serum_Visions_EN.png

Someone has to put the pic :p
Good that it's the original art and not the cummy visions.

EDIT: Awesome reprint:

v4K8cXD.png

alternade

So that white creature is 100% legacy and vintage playable yes? I only play EDH and i'm dreaming of kicking a Rite of Replication on this, choosing 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 with Void Winower out.

Oh Shit! Burgeoning?! Thats like a $30 card. Been wanting one for a while.

Well my plans to not buy 2 boxes are out the window

Awesome I just traded my burgeoning, perfect timing.

Random discard for an opponent isn't "chaotic" the way red is, though, it's actually just a harsher version of the mechanic black already does (i.e. regular discard.) Adding this to red so red aggro type decks have in-color hand disruption just makes those decks feel less red and eliminates the reason to even go into a particular secondary color, it's like the textbook example of a bad color pie expansion.

it's stronger than regular discard for certain but that's fine, targeted discard is way stronger in return and that's solidly black.
Giving a single colour 3 different forms of the same effect is just redundancy.
Not sure a deck that cares all about counting to 18 will care about non targeted hand disruption. Suicide Zoo hardly counts since Thoughtseize helps count to 13.
If by "not chaotic the way red is" you mean it'd not be awful like all the chaotic cards wizards does in red then sure it's not but failure in execution is hardly reason not to explore this option.

I like that Daretti is red-black. They needed a red-black aligned character in the planeswalker stable, though I still think it should have been Tibalt.

I do think they should make Tibalt red/black when they get back to him, definitely.

Serum Visions at Uncommon

Hope my friend unloaded the 10+ of these we found in his old commons boxes over Xmas!

This thing is nuts, right? I'm not crazy here?

If by "not chaotic the way red is" you mean it'd not be awful like all the chaotic cards wizards does in red then sure it's not but failure in execution is hardly reason not to explore this option.

I dunno what to tell you here. The reason not to explore it is that it makes no sense and has no support from red's historical color pie at even the most stretched point. Like they had a chance to do this in Planar Chaos and they didn't even do it there, they bled discard to blue which makes much more sense.

And I can't unload my play set of Serum Visions. Not on buylists at Cape Fear or Isle of Cards.

That new Daretti is bad ass. Not sure where he's going to go, but I also first thought of Grixis. Then had some fantasy of seeing his ultimate used on Batterskull.

Concerning red discard, I feel the best way to do it would be to force the player to discard their entire hand and draw that many cards, perhaps as an option after looking at their hand. Previously, I had proposed moving the Vendillion Clique ability to red, but I don't feel like it's right.

So, like this:
Goblin Consultant - RR
Creature - Goblin Advisor
When Goblin Consultant enters the battlefield, look at target opponent's hand. You may have that player discard his or her hand and draw that many cards.
3/1

Magic Story - Bloody Instructions - Grenzo and Daretti are teaming up. Grenzo is angry that Marchesa fired him. They break into the now-closed Academy. Daretti is there to get something, and Grenzo just grabs random stuff in the meantime. Daretti panics because he misplaced his prepared speech and wants to reset the break-in and do everything over. Grenzo reminds him how the speech goes, and the man they were going to confront comes into the hallway and yells at them. They corner him and Daretti gives his revenge speech. The man stole his inventions and presented them as his own. Daretti forgets how the rest of his speech goes, says screw it, and kills him. Grenzo burns the place down. Next on Daretti's list is a man who is now part of Marchesa's court, so he's on Grenzo's list too.

red13th

That Daretti omg, it looks amazing. I'd hate to cut Dreadbore for it, but I might end up having to. It can be huge in a Grixis artifact deck. Come soon, Kaladesh!

Cardkingdom was always my go-to for a gatherer search because their advanced search was so clean, but now they have a new site and their search takes more clicks :-(

I hate the new site so much, everything was so easy to see before.

red13th

Wait Daretti slots right in Braids decks too. T3 Daretti into T4 Braids seems fun. (reprint Smokestack ffs)
3 mana walker that crowds the board with chump blockers that trade with aggro 2/1s, kills shit and potentially copies Battlespheres/Sundering Titans. I think his ultimate is relatively reachable.
I'm trying to not be too excited only to find out he sucks, but I like him a lot.

Well I'm just about out of ideas for now, so I'll have to put this deck in my back pocket again. A reasonable draw is only about as fast as Modern Tron, with Emrakul and Karn hitting around turn 3.

Eldritch Offering 1.2
kjhlkjsfq3y.png

This thing is nuts, right? I'm not crazy here?

It's pretty mean. I think the dream is to drop four of them against a friend who's running his usual control deck and then loudly declare, "How do you like not getting to play your cards, Jeff? How do you like it?!"

I mean, assuming you're on the play, anyway.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";213988476]Cardkingdom was always my go-to for a gatherer search[/QUOTE]

Now that magiccards.info seems to be basically kaput, y'all want to get the new hotness at mtg.wtf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom