• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

RW equipment, I've been testing it for two weeks now. It fits into the meta as an outlier, and I have sideboard tech for the biggest decks I'll see there.

Radiant flames, hallowed moonlight, felidar cub, roast, etc

I know you've been testing it for a while, but mtggoldfish put out a list and video of it today, just a heads up in case they have any card you may have missed.

(Heeby)GB decks winning all over the place, Brad Nelson almost locked for top 8 with a World Breaker - Kozilek's Return deck, is this my spectator dream?

Now we can also cross "Finkel smiles" off the bingo board.

Where are we at? I just woke up:
lgosq0.png

Ashodin

2-0 first round. There's a guy here with a I'd tap that t shirt, cool bro

My opponent forgot that Kiora's ult puts three 8/8s onto the battlefield like five turns later

Yuuya is a monster. Playing a 1-drop aggro deck and still making several non-inuitive plays involving the ordering of his spells in the first several turns. Even if he didn't win that game, you can imagine why he's rising to the top when a lot of other mono white players aren't.

I really didn't expect Seasons Past to be a breakout card in this PT. Given the interaction with tutors, I wonder if Wizards will continue the "put on the bottom of the library" experiment.

Matriox

qPKhJMK.jpg

This is late news, but anyone that gets these and doesn't want them can mail them to me. Kthnx!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201709799]
lyvc2s.png

I'm counting season's past loop as an infinite :p[/QUOTE]

Finkle just used 2 Grasp of Darkness on a flipped Abbey.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201710295]No, I meant literally losing the ability indestructible. Burn from within or that on cantrip enchantment both do it.[/QUOTE]

Peep the square left of mid.

Also Loam Dryad is a squire and Kiblar finished low I believe, we can get there!

Matriox

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201710295]No, I meant literally losing the ability indestructible. Burn from within or that on cantrip enchantment both do it.[/QUOTE]
A Serious Man spotted it, but you have one left of center square is what I was referring to.

Santiako

Brad Nelson's GRoggles deck could do literally nothing against Yasuoka's Esper Dragons deck. Watch him get paired with it in the top 8 again, lol

Lucario

Why the hell is this the same weekend as pax east :(

Loving the season's past value deck. Wish I could watch more without killing my battery!

Okay, so based on the metagame reports so far, these seem to be some of the takeaways:

• Tiny Jace is losing ground as he doesn't fit in most good archetypes and the one he's best in is probably better without him.
  • Green and white are far and away the best colors in this environment, blue is the worst.
  • Investigate is the best Standard mechanic in SOI (which feeds into that "green and white are the best" thing, lulz), while the graveyard stuff isn't really making a splash.
  • Bant Company is good, but also beatable; it converted poorly to day 2 and it seems like most of the other strong metagame decks just perform more reliably.
  • Contra expectations after SCG, Goggles seems like it's the real deal.

Anything I'm missing?

If Kaladesh is the next block, then investigate will also play amazing in standard until it rotates out. I hope they print more investigate.

Investigate is right now the strongest of several pretty solid pieces of evidence that Kaladesh is next, IMO.

Why the hell is this the same weekend as pax east :(

PAX is super late this year because of scheduling issues, normally it'd happen at the right time to do a Spring Set preview panel.

RIP Modern PT :p

In retrospect it's pretty convenient that we skipped one of the most garbage Standard environments in PT OGW and are back in Standard when things are a bit more enjoyable to watch.

Why? I like the Modern PT.

Modern PT distorts the Modern format, leads to more random results, and (usually) doesn't show off the latest set very well. I want there to be high-level Modern (I like the format a lot despite its numerous problems) but locating that in GPs is just more sustainable and functional, I think.

Okay, so based on the metagame reports so far, these seem to be some of the takeaways:

• Tiny Jace is losing ground as he doesn't fit in most good archetypes and the one he's best in is probably better without him.
  • Green and white are far and away the best colors in this environment, blue is the worst.
  • Investigate is the best Standard mechanic in SOI (which feeds into that "green and white are the best" thing, lulz), while the graveyard stuff isn't really making a splash.
  • Bant Company is good, but also beatable; it converted poorly to day 2 and it seems like most of the other strong metagame decks just perform more reliably.
  • Contra expectations after SCG, Goggles seems like it's the real deal.

Black-green seems to be working out pretty well too, both in control and Aristocrats shells.

Black-green seems to be working out pretty well too, both in control and Aristocrats shells.

Yeah both black and red seem to have some solid stuff and work well in supporting other decks, but I think every single really good deck has either white or green as the mechanical core, right?

kirblar

You can also do something like add a 5th PT, or change up worlds so it more strongly features Modern as a format. (Team Unified Modern, for instance.)

That means it's the perfect time for my BG midrange to shine. Moving up to 2 Kalitas main for sure.

Yeah both black and red seem to have some solid stuff and work well in supporting other decks, but I think every single really good deck has either white or green as the mechanical core, right?

The #1 seed deck is base black.

Lol at Finkel. "I didn't think there would even be 16 Pro Tours." "I'm not saying I'm bad at Magic -- I'm fine at Magic."

You can also do something like add a 5th PT, or change up worlds so it more strongly features Modern as a format. (Team Unified Modern, for instance.)

Yeah, you're right, Worlds is kind of the optimal place to feature it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201713199]
The #1 seed deck is base black.[/QUOTE]

Seasons Past?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom