• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Geier Reach Bandit should have been an uncommon and Duskwatch Recruiter a rare.

Geier Reach is a way better payoff for going Werewolves in limited than Duskwatch Recruiter is.

Firemind

Duskwatch Recruiter is fucking dumb I agree. Should have been limited to once a turn.

Pack Guardian is also a super dumb card at uncommon. I just hatedraft it on principle when I'm on vampires.

Firemind

Everyone around here just calls Moldgraf Scavenger "Tarmogoyf" in draft.
The other draft, my opponent played the 1/4 scarecrow that can search up two lands. I was like: "that card is terrible." So I just played a flier. Then he sacs it and the land that fetches a basic, kills my flier, then drops a scavenger. I was like: "huh. he has delirium? he only has three cards in yard." well that was a rude awakening.

The other draft, my opponent played the 1/4 scarecrow that can search up two lands. I was like: "that card is terrible." So I just played a flier. Then he sacs it and the land that fetches a basic, kills my flier, then drops a scavenger. I was like: "huh. he has delirium? he only has three cards in yard." well that was a rude awakening.

scarecrow is crazy good.

+2 on delirium (artifact + creature), fetch for lands, decent blocker too.

kirblar

Duskwatch Recruiter is fucking dumb I agree. Should have been limited to once a turn.

Pack Guardian is also a super dumb card at uncommon. I just hatedraft it on principle when I'm on vampires.
Duskwatch needed to just get Wolves/Werewolves. I see exactly what they were thinking, but the cards too open-ended.

So is it just a guarantee at this point that Blood Artist and its brethren are always going to be in top-tier constructed decks whenever they show up in Standard?

bigkrev

Green Lake Games cancelled my order of 4x Seasons Past not as a "stock issue", but as a "pricing error".

That's the first time I've ever had a shitty seller cancel on me without lying and saying they were sold out!

kirblar

Green Lake Games cancelled my order of 4x Seasons Past not as a "stock issue", but as a "pricing error".

That's the first time I've ever had a shitty seller cancel on me without lying and saying they were sold out!
Yeah, I was shocked you (or someone else) hadn't had an issue before- they're the sole vendor I've had a serious issue with - they just never sent an order (and it wasn't a price increase/big order/etc) - it just disappeared.

Come on. Now Duskwatch friggin' Recruiter is too powerful for y'all? lol.
It's too open ended, its just a silly-good green card instead of being a silly-good werewolf/human card that helps power up those strats.

bigkrev

Yeah, I was shocked you (or someone else) hadn't had an issue before- they're the sole vendor I've had a serious issue with - they just never sent an order (and it wasn't a price increase/big order/etc) - it just disappeared.

I've probably had 50 orders with them, and my only issue is that they sometimes ship later than you would like- you end up getting the cards towards the back end of the date range.

It's also fucked up at how hard it is to leave negative feedback for these people- if I have to google how to do it, it's a bad system.

I guess I should just use TCGPlayer- I'm pretty sure they punish sellers more than Amazon does. Just got shipping confirmation on my $3 Cryptolith Rites

Santiako

LSV's draft deck. Insane, and he passed an Olivia p1p1 for the Elusive Tormentor, only to open another Olivia pack 2!

opGLJp8.jpg

He 3-0'd with it.

ironmang

I've probably had 50 orders with them, and my only issue is that they sometimes ship later than you would like- you end up getting the cards towards the back end of the date range.

It's also fucked up at how hard it is to leave negative feedback for these people- if I have to google how to do it, it's a bad system.

I guess I should just use TCGPlayer- I'm pretty sure they punish sellers more than Amazon does. Just got shipping confirmation on my $3 Cryptolith Rites

The ability to leave negative feedback and a middleman that cares about punishing people who abuse the order cancelling system is essential to a good experience. Stores can always be set to vacation mode so I have no sympathy for them getting the amount of money they would have been happy to receive prior to a spike.

Firemind

it's busted in the late game as a pseudo morphling but olivia is better as an early beatstick. eh i suppose p1p1 tormentor leaves you more open. olivia forces you to go vampires.

Lost round 3 after drawing 6 of 8 green sources and 0 of 9 white sources. Also never drew a green creature to make white with loam dryad. While my opponent played the Sage with PT cards in hand.

It happens. SOI record 0-2, 0-2, 1-2. Maybe next week I can win something.

Most of the main commentators kind of suck but at least Marshall has a soothing voice. BDM and Randy are like several hours of nails on chalkboard.

Yeah, Marshall is fine. When he gets paired with LSV or another pro, I do enjoy the banter and whatnot. I've decided that I don't actively dislike BDM anymore, but I just can't abide Buehler. I respect his experience and his involvement, no question, I just don't really want to listen to him.

Firemind

dear god rise from the tides is legit

you remember the time you tried to play army of the damned but you could never quite cast it or when you cast it you'd die the next turn?

rise from the tides is that card for 5U. i'm getting flashbacks of spider spawning. binning instants/sorceries appeal to me so much more than creatures though.

Completely forgot there were Mothership articles today.

Latest Developments - Future Future League FAQ.
Do You Playtest Modern?

Historically we have put very little consideration into Modern, though that has changed over time, especially as we saw both delve and the Eldrazi shake up Modern more than we would consider healthy. Now, we are thinking a lot more about Modern as we make up new mechanics and cards, but we still do not do any Modern playtesting with them. The reason is that Modern is a huge format, and it is very difficult for us to try everything out. Ideally, if individual cards are not too strong for Standard, they shouldn't break Modern. Having new sets impact Modern, though, is good and healthy for the format, and will keep it interesting in the future. We don't want to break things, but we are willing to take a few risks for the future health of the format.

For the most recent bannings and unbannings in Modern, we did test these changes, and I would expect us to spend time testing future bannings and unbannings in Modern.

Well, that's an improvement, I guess.

More old paperwork, this time a sample Expansion Admission Form using Ice Age as the example. I love how the example given of an overpowered card that's made possible with cumulative upkeep is a 4/4 flyer for 3U, and that 2 of the 3 examples given for snow-covered lands purely involve punishing your opponent for using them (and the other can sometimes be used as such). The form was correct in that it took a while for people to figure out how to correctly use Necropotence. I like how proud they seem to be about the fact that Ice Age went through no less than 2 playtest cycles and had 4 playtesters.

kirblar

Yeah, Marshall is fine. When he gets paired with LSV or another pro, I do enjoy the banter and whatnot. I've decided that I don't actively dislike BDM anymore, but I just can't abide Buehler. I respect his experience and his involvement, no question, I just don't really want to listen to him.
I don't think you're in the minority re: Randy.

you remember the time you tried to play army of the damned but you could never quite cast it or when you cast it you'd die the next turn?

rise from the tides is that card for 5U. i'm getting flashbacks of spider spawning. binning instants/sorceries appeal to me so much more than creatures though.
You're beginning to believe.

I force it way more than I should. Even when the deck doesn't get there, it's still fun to play.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The pattern had been to shake things up at the PT. The fact that they did it off cycle could mean that the PT is no more.

Naw, they banned it because Eldrazi pushed out every other deck in the format.

The unban is a little more unusual.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201667182]You're beginning to believe.[/QUOTE]

CSXUNTOUYAIF8hq.png

Firemind

fuck yeah i won the final after double rise of tides when i was at three life

fuck you spider that can block seven creatures

i'm beginning to believe

edit: bonus picture

qLHBxbp.jpg

Not playtesting for modern is perfectly fair. They might want to be faster on bans then though, doesn't need to be tied to set releases.

I don't think they really can ban any faster than this set release cadence. "Whenever" bans would be awful -- no one would ever have any certainty about when a deck would be legal or what they could expect to play week to week, and not even the worst Magic environment ever has actually been bad enough to make this a worthwhile sacrifice. And they need to at least be able to ban once per set, so that means if they adopted a faster cadence, it'd have to be twice per set (every six weeks, basically.) I'm not convinced there's any circumstance where anything faster is actually necessary, and it'd tend to encourage the kind of knee-jerk ban requests that WotC (thankfully) is pretty resistant to.

Angry Grimace

Everyone on the Beta is playing LSV's deck.

Everyone keeps losing to Kalitas. Like, not even just kind of losing, that deck gets fucking wrecked by it. I can only imagine it was a meta-game call that people weren't gonna play the card. Or LSV has some kind of unknown spicy tech in the board. I mean, a CoCo deck only really can fit about 8 spells, 4 of which are CoCo.

Everyone keeps losing to Kalitas. Like, not even just kind of losing, that deck gets fucking wrecked by it. I can only imagine it was a meta-game call that people weren't gonna play the card.

The top 32 of SCG Columbus had exactly zero copies of Kalitas, even in sideboards. Something tells me that won't be the case after this weekend. ;p

Everyone keeps losing to Kalitas. Like, not even just kind of losing, that deck gets fucking wrecked by it. I can only imagine it was a meta-game call that people weren't gonna play the card. Or LSV has some kind of unknown spicy tech in the board. I mean, a CoCo deck only really can fit about 8 spells, 4 of which are CoCo.
And the other 4 are cryptolith rites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom