• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you deck someone with Season's Past

You don't, both players just loop forever with a full grip of removal until someone runs out of card. I got decked yesterday against Seasons Past while playing Mardu Control because neither of us could keep a threat on the table. If he hadn't played the first match pretty slowly I would have just conceded but I had a shot at timing him out and I'm a dick so I made him play it out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh yeah, it goes to the bottom of the library. You would have to exile it from their hand, if not once both players are out of win cons do they just draw?

If you have no win conditions and each deck has nothing but Seasons Past, you have to draw the game or someone has to intentionally lose.

Magic Story - Games
A pretty decent story that just records a correspondence between Gisa and Geralf, and some others. We learn that they have mommy issues (no surprise there), Geralf and Ludevic are working together, and Gisa has become friends with Nahiri.

From two days ago, this mono-green aggro Standard deck is interesting.

As for Plane Shift: Zendikar, this seems like a pretty big deal, bringing Magic and DnD together at last. Should a topic be made about it?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The only relevant plot detail as far as I can tell is that Nahiri and Gisa are working together now; Gisa is basically an airhead so Nahiri convinced her they were buddies and to raise an army of zombies (which Jace thought were being ordered by Liliana) to build a "monument" in Nephalia (the place Jace went when he was fucking crazy).

Angry Grimace

They shoulda had Stitcher Geralf and Ghoulcaller Gisa as cards in the set. They're pretty powerful though and I suspect they will have a Mina and Denn style card in Eldritch Moon for a UB Commander thing.

I can't ever type out the guy's name as "Geralf" because I always type it as "Geralt." Although, hell, I guess Geralt could show up since, you know, Ciri is literally a Planeswalker.

Angry Grimace

So you spoiled the backstory?

I don't care about the Witcher :p

It's just part of her power set. It's as much of a spoiler as saying Geralt is a Witcher and he's alive in the Witcher III.

Ashodin

Yeah personally I've never cared for any of the Witcher games (or book series). Stuff just looked pretty bland to me imo.

Oh I know the third game looks stunning but meh. I like my half-relationship sim dragon age games just fine thank you

Angry Grimace

I would put the Witcher 3 up there as potentially the best game ever made, so I can't say I agree. Dragon Age: Inquisition straight up feels dated at this point if you play the Witcher 3.

I'll never understand the insane amount of heralding TW3 gets, it's not even the best Witcher game. It's a damn fine game but the combat is utterly unimpressive if not outright boring and the main story pretty much nonexistent.

DAI isn't particularly great, though I liked it.

I thought III was the best Witcher game, but maybe I'm biased because I like the monster designs and side quests so much. I don't see why it had to be open world, though. Witcher 2 was so much more beautiful. Witcher 1 was garbage.

That said, I liked Dragon Age Inquisition better for opposite reasons. I tend to like Bioware characters a lot and being able to sit around and talk with your party for literal hours is great.

Neither game had a very interesting main plot and both had terrible combat.

Witcher's world feels very much like Innistrad from what I've read.

Witcher III is basically Dragon's Dogma if you flipped the amount of effort that went into worldbuilding and game mechanics.

Dysun

Witcher 1 has the best story of all the games, but the most janky combat (not that 2 and 3 are even above mediocre)

Ashodin

Terrible combat? Man I just liked they put in the fantasy equivalent of a lightsaber in Dragon Age. I'm good to go when that happens.

I really enjoyed both games, although TW3 is clearly a step above. It's maybe the only game I've ever played where I thought "This is already on my top 10 of all time list" as I was playing it.

OnPoint

Yo can we talk about Magic though? lol

I wanna build a Modern Spirits tribal deck that makes use of the synergy between Drogskol Captain and Phantasmal Image. How does this deck survive something like Anger of the Gods?

I wanna build a Modern Spirits tribal deck that makes use of the synergy between Drogskol Captain and Phantasmal Image. How does this deck survive something like Anger of the Gods?

Protection swords.

If you're okay with instant-speed answers: Annul, Negate, Spell Pierce.

It doesn't look like there are any 2-4 mana permanents in Modern that give your team protection from red or big toughness boosts.

Ashodin

Geist of Saint Traft in that deck too?

You could run Pay No Heeds. Prevents damage from an entire source.

COP: Red works too

Mark of Asylum stops Burn damage.

Reverse Damage seems neat too

Plated Pegasus can be flashed in to reduce damage by 1

Refraction Trap could potentially instantly kill the opponent if you have tons of spirits out

Santiako

Burrenton Forge Tender maybe? Maybe some apostle's blessings for protection? Idk

Angry Grimace

Witcher's world feels very much like Innistrad from what I've read.

It's a dark and gritty version of Dragon Age.

This entire conversation will be put to rest once Persona 5 comes out and replaces it as best game ever just sayin'

22.jpg

Edit: beaten

Ashodin

It's a dark and gritty version of Dragon Age.

This entire conversation will be put to rest once Persona 5 comes out and replaces it as best game ever just sayin'

Yet another game I don't particularly care about. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: he's trying to run spirit tribal you dolts :p

I'd say Brave the Elements for the Spirit deck also. It can be used defensively against burn spells, or offensively to make your spirits unblockable in a lot of cases.

ultron87

I'll probably play a few rounds of the gauntlet. There aren't any decks that I really don't want to get or (I assume) any horrible balance issues like there were last time.

Good article on #PayThePros, which also offers potential solutions. The big takeaway is that Wizards seems to be aiming for outside sponsors to take up the slack of paying the players, and they thought increasing the World Championship prize would draw more attention. The article suggests that players should push teams more, which we've seen a bit of with Channel Fireball and EUreka, etc.; and that Hasbro should push for more Magic marketing on soda bottles and such.

bigkrev

Good article on #PayThePros, which also offers potential solutions. The big takeaway is that Wizards seems to be aiming for outside sponsors to take up the slack of paying the players, and they thought increasing the World Championship prize would draw more attention. The article suggests that players should push teams more, which we've seen a bit of with Channel Fireball and EUreka, etc.; and that Hasbro should push for more Magic marketing on soda bottles and such.

But we already had that!
232_sodas.jpg

Ashodin

So I'm trying to figure out what to sideboard in against WB Control decks, and all I can keep coming up with is Center Soul.

Maybe Surge of Righteousness for Mindwrack Demon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom