• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really hoping the Zen Fetches are in Eternal Masters, if only to help bring parity to fetches in terms of cost. I'm this close to jumping on getting the extra 23 cards for a Knightfall Deck and the price of 4 Misty Rainforests is about 60% of the cost.

If anyone is up for modern on Cockatrice, I want to see how this list holds up/test my GW Hatebears deck for a tournament I'm going to on Saturday.

But we already had that!
232_sodas.jpg

Wizards admitting Elspeth is best White Planeswalker, even though they had shitty Gideon and Ajani running around in those sets.

Firemind

dat feeling when my opponent has zero cards in hand and topdecks ghostly wings for the win while i have sigarda in hand and four lands in play on turn eight

Ashodin

https://youtu.be/6pg6mUsQZgo?t=315

Sam Stoddard on Nahiri

"The most fun thing about Nahiri is her ultimate... oh, shoot. We can't talk about that yet, can we?"

Emrakul confirmed

Odric was actually slated to die but R&D loves the character (YES)

Any card that's a new version of an old character is loved by Internal, so that's how it makes it in

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mostly grab Goblin Dark-Dwellers. If there was anything ruinous enough to grab it would be different because Nahiri is pretty hard to kill since she has so much loyalty.

bigkrev

Cedric Phillips and Patrick Sullivan deep dive into the Pro scene, the challenges MtG faces as a spectator sport and what needs to happen to keep it relevant. Pretty interesting, especially their discussion on why MtG tournament broadcasts are falling behind.

"We sent Kibler a box of Magic to unbox because he has more followers than any other Magic person and the most Youtube followers, and we wanted to get his Hearthstone audience"

FUCK.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Question? "How do we make professional magic viable?"

Angry Grimace's Answer: "We probably don't unless someone comes up with a new revenue stream."

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Question? "How do we make professional magic viable?"

Angry Grimace's Answer: "We probably don't unless someone comes up with a new revenue stream."

Is there any way to monetize stuff the way Valve does for Dota tournaments? Probably not, they'd need to massively improve all of the competitive infrastructure before anyone wanted to shell out for a compendium

Angry Grimace

Is there any way to monetize stuff the way Valve does for Dota tournaments? Probably not, they'd need to massively improve all of the competitive infrastructure before anyone wanted to shell out for a compendium

The game is too popular to continue to run as-is and not anywhere near popular enough to actually draw sponsors.

I mean, I guess you could like standardize legal sleeves in tournaments so that only LICENSED sleeves are legal and saddle it with some shoddy as fuck explanation about cheating with double faced cards. You basically fuck the players, but hey, you have a big new revenue stream. But that's just it: the average player doesn't *really* fucking care about the pros and that would be over the line.

My opinion of Nahiri is down right now, although I still have her in a couple decks. Manlands and Sylvan Advocate being maybe the best creature in standard right now are holding her back, the manlands especially.

Matriox

I mostly grab Goblin Dark-Dwellers. If there was anything ruinous enough to grab it would be different because Nahiri is pretty hard to kill since she has so much loyalty.

Lol no joke on the last bit there... I had a nahiri in play for what seemed like 10 turns before my opponent ran out of gas and I still had her around. My Mardu control deck only runs Kalitas and GDD, so not a lot of spicy ults but GDD being shipped back to the hand at eot is actually really nice. I used to run linvala but double white in a black red focus deck was a bad call.

My opinion of Nahiri is down right now, although I still have her in a couple decks. Manlands and Sylvan Advocate being maybe the best creature in standard right now are holding her back, the manlands especially.

I just love she exiles goggles, crypto rites, and a flipped Abbey.

Proxy Guy is saying somebody confirmed to him that Kaladash is the next plane. Salt grain and all, but hey, wild speculation is fun.

He's figured out a way to confirm known guesses for set names via clever URL choices on the Wizards site. He confirmed Eternal Masters in advance via this mechanism too. He's probably one of the sources I'd trust more seriously at the moment.

I just love she exiles goggles, crypto rites, and a flipped Abbey.

That's actually the main reason I keep her around. Cryptolith, Goggles, Always Watching and Evolutionary Leap are legit targets.

He's figured out a way to confirm known guesses for set names via clever URL choices on the Wizards site. He confirmed Eternal Masters in advance via this mechanism too. He's probably one of the sources I'd trust more seriously at the moment.

The minor "equipment matters" theme that's been sprinkled through the last couple of sets has me thinking it's Kaladesh and will have a major emphasis on equipment.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The minor "equipment matters" theme that's been sprinkled through the last couple of sets has me thinking it's Kaladesh and will have a major emphasis on equipment.

I hope so, otherwise the theme is useless. What equipment will be any good when it rotates in? Stoneforge Masterwork and...Slayer's...Plate?

red13th

I don't think they can even make good equipment without breaking any format SFM is legal so I'm not holding my breath. Plus I don't think I can add any more equipment to my cube (Bonesplitter, Jitte, 5 Swords, Grafted Wargear and Batterskull) without expanding, equipment is the card type I'm most okay with right now.

Ashodin

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I'm ready

SO READY

I assume they'll have a new mechanic that tries to make equipment, avert your eyes Ashodin,
not garbage.

It's okay. There's not that much Equipment currently that are amazing. Captain's Claws and Slayer's Plate are pretty much it, and Bone Saw is there for surge (lol).

When Kaladesh rotates in, all the Origins Equips rotate out.

In my personal pick of top equipment post-rotation:

Top Tier
Slayer's Plate
Captain's Claws
True-Faith Censer
Neglected Heirloom

Middle Tier
Bone Saw
Stoneforge Masterwork
Skeleton Key
Haunted Cloak

Why Would You Play These
Hedron Blade
Shard of Broken Glass
Pathway Arrows
Slab Hammer
Chitinous Cloak
Strider Harness
Murderer's Axe

I've been saying this for a while and there's a few pieces of evidence, IMO:

• Noticeable equipment-matters themes in both BFZ and SOI, despite there not being much good equipment.
  • Investigate is a great mechanic to potentially play with an artifact-themed set.
  • After the Origins Five were introduced, each set has had one of them as its face character; the only one left is Chandra.
  • The level of detail in Origins (vs. the super sketchily developed Vryn) suggested that concept artists had already been working on the setting.

Ashodin

I happen to know that dudes in Kaladesh have some sick curly Indian/Italian looking weapons

cardart_ORI_ConsulsLieutenant.jpg

Seen here: Blades that protect your whole arm (suggesting heavy combat use), Shields with intricate weave like patterns to presumably lock blades up in combat, Shoulder armor

AIRSHIPS

Beasts of burden and such are artifice

cardart_ORI_BondedConstruct.jpg

One of my favorite creature types in magic:

GOLEMS

One of the things that should lend itself to Artifacts (and equipment) in general is this fact:

On Kaladesh, natural mages like Chandra are rare. Work that would be done with magic on other planes is instead accomplished through devices that harness the power of raw Aether.

This means that planeswalkers are rare, regular healers and mages are rare, and everyone uses the technology (meaning, artifacts are EVERYWHERE) to get by. It's basically Magic's version of our world, if we didn't have guns lol. It's Steampunk.

Another big thing is I think this set will see the return of Karn. Artifact heavy set? You can't have one without the other breh.

My hope for Kaladesh is that Wizards learns from how ridiculous it was when we were introduced to an Indian plane, but they then proceeded to publish a Chandra story where the vast majority of art depicted a bunch of white people.

As for Karn, I'm expecting he won't pop up again until Return to Dominaria.

My hope for Kaladesh is that Wizards learns from how ridiculous it was when we were introduced to an Indian plane, but they then proceeded to publish a Chandra story where the vast majority of art depicted a bunch of white people.

Yeah, between Chandra's dad being white and her mom looking pretty white in at least one painting it was a pretty bad look. Overall the actual Kaladesh cards in Origins (Aspiring Aeronaut, Ghirapur Gearcrafter, Thopter Engineer, Thopter Spy Network, Whirler Rogue) do a better job tho.

Ashodin

As for Karn, I'm expecting he won't pop up again until Return to Dominaria.

I can imagine their defense being "it's a steampunk plane, not an indian plane!" despite you know, obvious indian references and naming conventions

OnPoint

Thanks for all the thoughts about that deck earlier dudes (and dudettes?). I'll start putting a list together soon.

Kaladesh? Reminder of my theory that Chandra was adopted and will be revealed as Jaya Ballard's daughter when Jaya shockingly returns.

I expect Karn again in one of two places: During a return to New Phyrexia (which would be lame) or to show up to help fight the Phyrexians (but not until all seems lost), if they should invade another plane.

Ashodin

Well my thought is that Karn is retracing his steps to find his Phyrexian oil droppings, and he visited Kaladesh once more, so Phyrexians are there, bro

Else what is the main conflict in Kaladesh? Mages suddenly appearing in high numbers all over the world, Magic vs. Technology?

OnPoint

Well my thought is that Karn is retracing his steps to find his Phyrexian oil droppings, and he visited Kaladesh once more, so Phyrexians are there, bro

Else what is the main conflict in Kaladesh? Mages suddenly appearing in high numbers all over the world, Magic vs. Technology?
I worry that Phyrexian oil corrupting machinery on Kaladesh would feel oddly similar to madness corrupting things on Innistrad and I'd be surprised if they went that route. I'd also be surprised if they upended the tea table of Kaladesh as a setting without having a set to kind of show it off first. World building is a lot of work.

If it's Kaladesh we hit next block, I feel like we'll get a plotline central to Kaladesh that somehow wraps into the main story by the end of the second set. I'm wondering if Chandra returns there to go get some kind of macguffin they need and the ensuing adventure eventually uncovers something sinister (perhaps the Phyrexians are there but are in hiding, and preparing an assault?). Or maybe the government of the world Chandra is so against is revealed to actually be protecting everyone from something, and when they fall the truth is revealed? Who knows.

Ashodin

Could be something gross like they're harvesting Aether FROM mages or something like that. Which would give real consequences to Chandra being captured AND be personal to her.

Angry Grimace

All of the good equipment is busted. It's limited fodder.

OnPoint

All of the good equipment is busted. It's limited fodder.

Maybe Kaladesh is where we get the ally-colored Swords. Only they'll make them slightly worse than the previously good/broken Swords of the past, much like the current manlands.

Sword of Truth and Justice (3)
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creatures gains protection from
white and blue and gets +2/+2.
Whenever equipped creature deals damage
to an opponent, draw a card and gain 3 life.
Equip (2)​

Something like that would totally be playable in standard and not break things.

Ashodin

I just had a thought; what if the Eldritch Moon symbol is the Heron moon breaking up?

Artist's shitty rendition:

4eRz7Am.gif

I'm sure WIzards could do better, but if it was an obvious symbol, then we would immediately know what was going to happen.

OnPoint

I just had a thought; what if the Eldritch Moon symbol is the Heron moon breaking up?

Artist's shitty rendition:

http://i.imgur.com/4eRz7Am.gif/img]

I'm sure WIzards could do better, but if it was an obvious symbol, then we would immediately know what was going to happen.[/QUOTE]

I think the theory that it's this:

[quote][img]http://media-dominaria.cursecdn.com/attachments/151/212/635933060646086143.jpg

... may end up being true.

I still like the idea that we'll get a modified idea of the caste system. As it is, Innistrad is still very much Ally Colour focused, so I could see Wizards trying to an enemy focus. Going off of that, you could see GB, the colors that are least interested in Artifacts being a smaller group of persecuted.

It would also give Wizards a chance to add new Walker, since Vraska is tied to Ravnica. I mean, looking at the walkers, we've got the Mono coloured ones, but we still need a repeatable representative of GB, GW,UR,UB And BR. Tibalt is totally RB when we see him next, but the other 5 walkers that could fit the missing pairs are currently stuck to a plane until we get back there (Ajani, Phenax, and Dack are stuck on Theros due to Ajani's "Fuck Heliod Agenda", Phenax's shenanigans they're pulling with Nyx, and Dack's canonical comic being put on Hiatus; Vraska, Ral Zarek, and Domri Rade are still on Ravnica; Tezerret is still on Phyrexia, waiting for Bolas to get off his fat ass and so something beyond pose menacingly.)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Maybe Kaladesh is where we get the ally-colored Swords. Only they'll make them slightly worse than the previously good/broken Swords of the past, much like the current manlands.

Artifact - Equipment
Equip (2)​

I'd try forcing that so hard in modern. Life gain and card draw and protection from target Path to Exile? Love it. Not being sarcastic either.

I'd love more swords and rings in general. Equipment is one area that is largely untapped.

Cedric Phillips and Patrick Sullivan deep dive into the Pro scene, the challenges MtG faces as a spectator sport and what needs to happen to keep it relevant. Pretty interesting, especially their discussion on why MtG tournament broadcasts are falling behind.

They made a great point that broadcasts are failing at both getting people to dip their toes into the water, and getting those dipping their toes to take a deeper dive. Above all else, the streams do a terrible job demonstrating what's actually happening. You can't see the cards well enough to tell what's going on from a glance even if you're experienced. In addition to better explaining what cards are relevant, maybe they should display popups every once in a while saying how many creatures are on the board, what the win conditions of the decks are, etc. At least from day 2 on.

There's also the point that a player's life total often does not indicate at all who is closer to winning, which I hadn't considered.

OnPoint

It would also give Wizards a chance to add new Walker, since Vraska is tied to Ravnica. I mean, looking at the walkers, we've got the Mono coloured ones, but we still need a repeatable representative of GB, GW,UR,UB And BR. Tibalt is totally RB when we see him next, but the other 5 walkers that could fit the missing pairs are currently stuck to a plane until we get back there (Ajani, Phenax, and Dack are stuck on Theros due to Ajani's "Fuck Heliod Agenda", Phenax's shenanigans they're pulling with Nyx, and Dack's canonical comic being put on Hiatus; Vraska, Ral Zarek, and Domri Rade are still on Ravnica; Tezerret is still on Phyrexia, waiting for Bolas to get off his fat ass and so something beyond pose menacingly.)
They've said they're not going to be adding as many walkers as they have in the past. Going off of that, I don't think you're going to get, nor do they need repeatable or even really that many more multicolored folks.

GB: I could see needing a new representative, one isn't enough
GW: This is Ajani's role now, but he probably doesn't fit this story. Could use one more I suppose.
UR: Ral Zarek is still going to be around (he's woefully underused), but Dack could make sense on Kaladesh.
UB: Ashiok is tied up or whatever, but Tezzeret is artifact centric...
BR: Tibalt like you said, but who knows when he shows next. Sarkhan obviously isn't RB anymore. Could maybe use a second character.
UG: I know you didn't mention this, but Kiora is alone here, and I wish we had a second one. She kinda sucks.

I don't know, even with so man second-inclusion vacancies, I'd be shocked if they started filling these in willy-nilly. I'm still wondering if Tamiyo is Bant-colored in Eldritch Moon. Tibalt could but probably won't show up.

Ashodin

I still like the idea that we'll get a modified idea of the caste system. As it is, Innistrad is still very much Ally Colour focused, so I could see Wizards trying to an enemy focus. Going off of that, you could see GB, the colors that are least interested in Artifacts being a smaller group of persecuted.

Fits in with the current colors Equipment care about right now (though, historically Equipment has been Boros' thing for ev-evs)

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

Artifact - Equipment
Equip (2)​

This seems pretty busted. As a 4x it locks out 2 colors + multiple draws with multiple equips.

I'd be down though, of course. It's a slightly less crazy Fire and Ice, which is still sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom