• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

I told some people about that - they didn't seem believable to them.
I really should just make this guy my avatar, despite not really being a huge fan of the series:

soul_eater_-excalibur_.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ugh, played the stupid Pro Tour Moneypit and got the Esper Control deck. First match: utterly excruciating mirror, like watching paint dry. Second match need 1 goddamn untapped land on the next turn to wipe the board and not die, draw tapland and cast 2 anticipates, nothing but junk and and taplands. I don't get how people can play decks with so many fucking taplands.

Sorin and Narset also both suck when you have so many lands :(

Does Brad Nelsons SCG article have anything on sideboard changes for the gw tokens matchup?

He basically says the gameplan is to focus on ramping into Goggles and WB and get the game over as soon as possible. He brings out the Fiery Impulses, Chandra and Traverse for Atarka, GDD, Draconic Roar and, if you're on the play, Tracker.

f0rk

He basically says the gameplan is to focus on ramping into Goggles and WB and get the game over as soon as possible. He brings out the Fiery Impulses, Chandra and Traverse for Atarka, GDD, Draconic Roar and, if you're on the play, Tracker.

Karsten's article says that as well. I think the match up needs some cards changing, I'm going to switch a Rending Volley for a Roar and could do with another card for Gideon.

bigkrev

Ugh, played the stupid Pro Tour Moneypit and got the Esper Control deck. First match: utterly excruciating mirror, like watching paint dry. Second match need 1 goddamn untapped land on the next turn to wipe the board and not die, draw tapland and cast 2 anticipates, nothing but junk and and taplands. I don't get how people can play decks with so many fucking taplands.

Sorin and Narset also both suck when you have so many lands :(

I've done it 3 times already

1.) Jeskai Control: 0-2 and a bye. I don't think this deck can actually win games of Magic, it seems absurdly awful against anything that isn't a CoCo deck.

2.) Sultai Midrange: 3-0, beat Jeskai Control, GW Tokens and Goggles Ramp. I think this is actually the best deck in the gauntlet- it has all the control elements of the B/G deck, but the addition of Silumgar gives it a great weapon against control decks, who basically can only answer it with Ruinous Path.

3.) Bant CoCo: 2-1, lost to Finkel's GB, beat Mono White Humans and G/R Explosive Vegitation Ramp. Deck is as powerful as advertised, though the GB matchup seemed really hopeless.

I think one of the problems is that all of the decks are tuned for a metagame where Bant CoCo is a significant part of the metagame, while in the gauntlet it's only 6% of the Metagame.

Xis

Today I realized I have all the cards I need to make a Coldsnap cube. Four of every common, two of every uncommon, one of every rare, would make a cube of 390 cards. I'm wondering how bad this would turn out; a lot of the problems of Coldsnap draft happen when you got 6+ of some of the ripple cards; here I'd be limited to 4 of each. I could throw an extra 2 of each snow-covered basic in to bring it up to 400 cards.

Santiako

Today I realized I have all the cards I need to make a Coldsnap cube. Four of every common, two of every uncommon, one of every rare, would make a cube of 390 cards. I'm wondering how bad this would turn out; a lot of the problems of Coldsnap draft happen when you got 6+ of some of the ripple cards; here I'd be limited to 4 of each. I could throw an extra 2 of each snow-covered basic in to bring it up to 400 cards.

Why would you even want to do that. Coldsnap is so bad.

Ashodin

How fucking long is going to take magiccards.info to update their "Standard" tag to not include KTK and FR? What is this? The Dark Ages?

There are many other ways to see this besides mc.info, though the site is really good of course

Got rocked in the commander tournament, almost got to blow through and deal damage to a player with Tajic + Worldslayer. I was so close brehs

bigkrev

Jumped in the Gauntlet again, got Jeskai Control again :(
Somehow beat G/R Ramp in the first round. I wish this deck with 4x Nahiri had literally anything other than Jace to get with her Ultimate somewhere in the 75

I can't tell if I'm unlucky, but I lost 2 matches vs Ad Naseum Combo at a modern FNM that went off turn 3.

How SSG isn't Banned yet is a mystery. The card literally enables the degenerate combos way.

Yeef

Trying to Figure out a good mirror breaker for BG Seasons Past since I plan on playing it tomorrow and I know at least one other person is too. The problem is any creature-based breaker just gets hit by Infinite Obliteration and/or Transgress the Mind. The former isn't a huge problem, since it's likely that they won't expect the specific card, but the latter is. My first thoughts were either Gaea's Revenge or Plated Crusher, but they both get plucked from the hand pretty easily and blocked by Hissing Quagmire as well.

Maybe I should splash blue for Lumbering Falls. I'm also considering Accursed Witch since it's pretty hard for the deck to deal with once it hits the table. The issue, of course, is that it's not terribly useful in most other matchups.

[Edit] Call the bloodline actually avoids Transgress and can even save cards from it in a pinch. Hmm.

Yeef

I think a one-of Accursed Witch in the board should do it. If you cast Dark Petition on 6 You can just tutor the witch and slam it down. The only out for them then is having an Orbs of Warding active when it dies.

I think a one-of Accursed Witch in the board should do it. If you cast Dark Petition on 6 You can just tutor the witch and slam it down. The only out for them then is having an Orbs of Warding active when it dies.

The main issue is going to time. Once the loop is established they can just cast Nissa's Renewal repeatedly to keep themselves alive. Witch seems too slow to help with this.

Yeef

The main issue is going to time. Once the loop is established they can just cast Nissa's Renewal repeatedly to keep themselves alive. Witch seems too slow to help with this.
The deck only runs one Renewal, so I just have to hope to hit it with Transgress. Wining Game 1 is the real issue. Odds are, Game 2 will go to time, so closing it out isn't as big a deal, but I'd still like to have a way to do it anyways.

Trying to Figure out a good mirror breaker for BG Seasons Past since I plan on playing it tomorrow and I know at least one other person is too. The problem is any creature-based breaker just gets hit by Infinite Obliteration and/or Transgress the Mind. The former isn't a huge problem, since it's likely that they won't expect the specific card, but the latter is. My first thoughts were either Gaea's Revenge or Plated Crusher, but they both get plucked from the hand pretty easily and blocked by Hissing Quagmire as well.

Maybe I should splash blue for Lumbering Falls. I'm also considering Accursed Witch since it's pretty hard for the deck to deal with once it hits the table. The issue, of course, is that it's not terribly useful in most other matchups.

[Edit] Call the bloodline actually avoids Transgress and can even save cards from it in a pinch. Hmm.

Use the splash I have been: 2 World Breakers & 1 Wastes. You can attack his manlands with the cast triggers and it closes games quicker. It also shores up a lot of the worse matchups for the deck. Except Esper Counterspells. That's just still a wash.

Oh, and drop 1 Dark Petition and put in an Ob Nixilis. It's a good secondary target for the 5-drop when you already have another Petition in hand. And it closes games quicker.

Ashodin

Use the splash I have been: 2 World Breakers & 1 Wastes. You can attack his manlands with the cast triggers and it closes games quicker. It also shores up a lot of the worse matchups for the deck. Except Esper Counterspells. That's just still a wash.

Oh, and drop 1 Dark Petition and put in an Ob Nixilis. It's a good secondary target for the 5-drop when you already have another Petition in hand. And it closes games quicker.

9e46eba6cb4d13c27f0a359ced4950dd.jpg

Chandra in Kaladesh confirmed

I'm getting tired of all the belligerent salty players on cockatrice.

Speaking of which, this week's Magic TV is the first time I've heard a pro mention using cockatrice for testing. I always assumed that they do, just makes more sense.

blogatog said:
ketjak asked: When will we see the *current* non-Poison mechanic or theme that you've been working to get back into the game?

This Fall. : )

Mark it: the block is Kaladesh, and the mechanic is "E," the mechanic first mentioned in this article, which was cut from Mirrodin but R&D liked enough to try again later, which Rosewater said could fit in a future artifact block, and would resolve the hints about a design challenge solved after a very long time. (I remember there being one more post that specifically confirmed that it was at that time in an open design, but I can't find it at the moment.)

Santiako

I'm almost positive Tamiyo and/or Sorin will join the Gatewatch at the end of this block.

I think Sorin is above all that crap, he is also an order of magnitude (at least) more powerful than the gatewatch 4, so he'd be kind of out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom