• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
And yet the format (post-Eye ban) is the healthiest it's been in the entire history of the format?

Nope. It's exactly as healthy as it has ever been, sans the Eldrazi menace. And as a side note, this is the second time is as many days that you've inexplicably just been an ass for no reason. Tone it down.

kirblar

Nope. It's exactly as healthy as it has ever been, sans the Eldrazi menace. And as a side note, this is the second time is as many days that you've inexplicably just been an ass for no reason. Tone it down.
What, in calling out the drive by shitposter the other day?

You can actually play Wild Nacatl now and not be an absolute idiot for doing so. That is a very good thing. Having a format dominated by infinite combos (life and/or damage) causes huge problems both for decks trying to get you from 20->0, as well as control decks who are trying to prevent exactly that.

WanderingWind

What, in calling out the drive by shitposter the other day?

You can actually play Wild Nacatl now and not be an absolute idiot for doing so. That is a very good thing.

More like making the thread about a card game unnecessarily hostile. Especially to newcomers. We're already a small community, we don't need to be acting like the stereotypical alpha geeks and driving people away.

On topic, I checked the meta breakdown over the past 3 years. There has really been no difference in diversity across the board, save for this year due to one out of every five decks being Eldrazi. It's fantastic that modern is back to being diverse. We're never going to agree on Twin, but it's banned and it ain't coming back.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";202363423]Is Lantern winning yet?[/QUOTE]
It's got a finals appearance on the books already in one of the modern side events. Dunno if it's shown up anywhere else.
More like making the thread about a card game unnecessarily hostile. Especially to newcomers. We're already a small community, we don't need to be acting like the stereotypical alpha geeks and driving people away.
That wasn't a "newcomer", that was someone coming in to proclaim that he didn't care that the very shitty things that were happening to another group of people were happening because they didn't affect him in the slightest. Who does that?

Format's also showing a crazy amount of archetypes so far- that wasn't happening previously in the Twin/Pod/Affinity era.

Ashodin

Tempted to bring black control to the second game day because I know it'll completely wreck gb sac and mono white humans and everything else

Why is Affinity so poorly positioned right now?

Lifegain is actually relevant in the format now that infinite combos aren't running all over (Pod, Twin)

Affinity is poorly positioned because people are metagaming against artifacts right now thanks to the unbanning of SotM. It's positioning has always been a case of ebbs and flows, and I'm sure it'll be back at the top again sometime in the future.

It's surprising to me that this needs to be said here. The format isn't suddenly better because Twin is gone - it's back to being good because Eye is gone.

That wasn't a "newcomer", that was someone coming in to proclaim that he didn't care that the very shitty things that were happening to another group of people were happening because they didn't affect him in the slightest. Who does that?

Format's also showing a crazy amount of archetypes so far- that wasn't happening previously in the Twin/Pod/Affinity era.

An honest person? I didn't comment on your response then because I agreed with the content (despite disagreeing with your tone), but I stepped into it here because I disagreed with both. You can make your case and disagree without being an ass.

Regarding diversity: no matter where you stand on the validity of the ban, everyone agrees that Twin was a pillar of the format. WotC knocked that pillar out, and the Eldrazi Winter destroyed the "healing" period. Since then, there have also been two unbannings. So it's natural that we would see more variety in decks as people try to figure out what's good and where to position themselves. It doesn't make sense to compare the current unstable meta to previous stable metas and call it "better."

I feel like Collected Company will end up banned in Modern at some point in the future.

Not a chance. The deck that uses it the most degenerately is Anafenza Company, and that deck literally dies to graveyard hate/ a properly aimed Path. Without the Infinite Combo, it's just a zoo deck that runs mediocre creatures.

Edit: Forgot about the Archangel/Spiker Feeder Combo, but that's not used that much.

I know I shouldn't be surprised at the calibur of player in cockatrice any more, but I've made three rooms titled "2/3 competitive" now and I've gotten 3 rage quits in the first game in a row.

Why even play on a testing platform if you're going to have so much emotional investment in games that mean absolutely nothing?

kirblar

Just ban all sets older than Khans of Tarkir and you fixed Modern imho.
Siege Rhino says hi.
An honest person? I didn't comment on your response then because I agreed with the content (despite disagreeing with your tone), but I stepped into it here because I disagreed with both. You can make your case and disagree without being an ass.

Regarding diversity: no matter where you stand on the validity of the ban, everyone agrees that Twin was a pillar of the format. WotC knocked that pillar out, and the Eldrazi Winter destroyed the "healing" period. Since then, there have also been two unbannings. So it's natural that we would see more variety in decks as people try to figure out what's good and where to position themselves. It doesn't make sense to compare the current unstable meta to previous stable metas and call it "better."
If someone tells me I don't know what I'm talking about on something I actually do, I'm not going to be kind. (Also, showing a complete lack of basic human empathy)

Your thinking of "pillars of the format" is actually the issue. Instability is good, and the endgame goal for the format is for it to be inherently unstable. If you are trying to view Modern as a version of Vintage/Legacy/Standard, all of which tend to erode into a handful of archetypes battling it out. The 4-5 pillars of Vintage. Legacy's world of Blue vs Non-Blue decks that prey on blue decks vs Combo vs terrible nonblue decks that people delude themselves are good vs bad budget decks. Or Standard's near constant devolution into obnoxious-vile. That's not what Modern should be.

Back when you could preduct "2 affinity, 2 pod, 2 Twin, 2 Jund?" That's actually fucking terrible for the format, and the bans have slowly been chipping away at that, opening up the field in the process.

The reason it's bad is simple: The Modern card supply cannot handle the present day playerbase if it coalesces into a handful of viable archetypes. Modern needs to be the wild west long term if it's to keep expanding and bringing in new players. In Legacy, if you can't afford Duals/FoW, you probably shouldn't show up. In Modern, that player who can't afford Tarmogoyfs and needs to go with a less pricy option ACTUALLY HAS THEM, unlike the illusion (delusion) in Legacy that they're sometimes viable.

When you have 15 archetypes top 16'ing, that both provides a variety of play/matchup experiences for your players, but it also ensures that you're not going to have the format locked out by near-unattainable staples. This isn't just about them not printing enough MM/MM2, it's about future proofing for cards that may be printed and which may be difficult to reprint in the future. (MiniJace is an example)

Ashodin

In terms of standard right now, the format is still pretty open and rogue decks can take down the heavy hitters of the format. My RW equipment smokes everything but the heaviest of control.

kirblar

In terms of standard right now, the format is still pretty open and rogue decks can take down the heavy hitters of the format. My RW equipment smokes everything but the heaviest of control.
Ya, I mean the tendency of Standard to devolve into a handful of archetypes over time (or worse, see: Rally)

G.ZZZ

Siege Rhino says hi.

If someone tells me I don't know what I'm talking about on something I actually do, I'm not going to be kind. (Also, showing a complete lack of basic human empathy)

Your thinking of "pillars of the format" is actually the issue. Instability is good, and the endgame goal for the format is for it to be inherently unstable. If you are trying to view Modern as a version of Vintage/Legacy/Standard, all of which tend to erode into a handful of archetypes battling it out. The 4-5 pillars of Vintage. Legacy's world of Blue vs Non-Blue decks that prey on blue decks vs Combo vs terrible nonblue decks that people delude themselves are good vs bad budget decks. Or Standard's near constant devolution into obnoxious-vile. That's not what Modern should be.

Dude ... really? Do i really have to do this? It's not even that hard to check, seriously.

http://www.tcdecks.net/format.php?format=Legacy

Take a deep breath.

red13th

MaRo's going on in his tumblr about how we should trust WotC regarding reprints. :lol :lol :lol
Not something that hugely concerns ME now anyway (got most of the cards I need before they blew up in price) but they have a pretty bad record when it comes to reprinting relevant stuff.

Back when you could preduct "2 affinity, 2 pod, 2 Twin, 2 Jund?" That's actually fucking terrible for the format, and the bans have slowly been chipping away at that, opening up the field in the process.

The reason it's bad is simple: The Modern card supply cannot handle the present day playerbase if it coalesces into a handful of viable archetypes. Modern needs to be the wild west long term if it's to keep expanding and bringing in new players. In Legacy, if you can't afford Duals/FoW, you probably shouldn't show up. In Modern, that player who can't afford Tarmogoyfs and needs to go with a less pricy option ACTUALLY HAS THEM, unlike the illusion (delusion) in Legacy that they're sometimes viable.

When you have 15 archetypes top 16'ing, that both provides a variety of play/matchup experiences for your players, but it also ensures that you're not going to have the format locked out by near-unattainable staples. This isn't just about them not printing enough MM/MM2, it's about future proofing for cards that may be printed and which may be difficult to reprint in the future. (MiniJace is an example)

I appreciate this explanation - a lot, actually. I fundamentally disagree with the assertion that unstable = good, but I get where you're coming from now (in a way that I haven't been able to up until this point). We probably can't (ever) agree on a number of banlist decisions because of differing opinions here.

See, I believe that unstable metagames are inherently bad for a format. Your success should be based on how well you can read the metagame and bring the right deck to the tournament. A format where your success is based on the dice roll of which out of 20+ archetypes you got matched up against is not something I consider to be a good play experience. People already think the sideboard is too important in Modern and that sideboard slots are stretched to their breaking point - why would you want to make that worse?

I do appreciate the perspective of wanting the card pool to be wide open so that availability is less of a concern. I think that's a very noble goal - I just don't think that makes for a good tournament format.

You want to know my crazy idea? I think Modern should start rotating. But that's a totally different discussion.

kirblar

Dude ... really? Do i really have to do this? It's not even that hard to check, seriously.

http://www.tcdecks.net/format.php?format=Legacy

Take a deep breath.
They're good only because they're smaller tournaments where people don't have the cards to police things. Unless you allow proxies, the reserved list is going to massively warp small events.

There's a reason this doesn't happen at large events w/ any regularity.

I'm not talking about Death and Taxes, like Jund, it's a nonblue deck designed to blow up blue decks. Lands also goes into that bucket. I'm talking about the Zoo-esque stuff.

I got dragged into some drama that put a damper on an otherwise fun Gameday! Played GB Aristocrat and had a blast learning the deck. But the Jeskai Displacer Superfriends I built for my girlfriend looked way way more fun. Like, I kinda want to steal it away from her.

I checked on how she was doing near the end of round 5 and her board state was Dragonlord Ojutai, Chandra, Always Watching with an Always Watching on the stack. I almost squealed.

4C UB Tempo

Jeskai Windscout still putting in work:

riseupx2dji.png

Yeef

Punted away a match

feels

bad

man
I punted away the semifinals, because I'm too much of a nice guy. I had attacked the opponent's Gideon with two creatures and he blocked one, not realizing the Sylvan Advocate was online. Then I let him change his blocks after we went to damage. Ended up costing me the game. (game 3) The other guy that made it to the finals was a matchup in my favor too, so there's a good chance I would have taken 1st if I'd just been a jerk.

I got dragged into some drama that put a damper on an otherwise fun Gameday! Played GB Aristocrat and had a blast learning the deck. But the Jeskai Displacer Superfriends I built for my girlfriend looked way way more fun. Like, I kinda want to steal it away from her.

I checked on how she was doing near the end of round 5 and her board state was Dragonlord Ojutai, Chandra, Always Watching with an Always Watching on the stack. I almost squealed.

After beating the both of you with sweet sweet Sultai and then squeaking out a win against the Goggles GR ramp deck, It was smooth sailing. But don't worry, I got blown back in game 3 of top 4 by the same ramp deck. #feelsbadman

Btw, the Sultai deck felt really good. Anybody wondering if Dragonlord Silumgar is good, wonder no more

MaRo's going on in his tumblr about how we should trust WotC regarding reprints. :lol :lol :lol

In fairness, there's an enormous difference between trusting WotC on reprints (which I think it's well established we currently should not do) and accepting that "just reprint everything en masse is not a viable solution" (which is 100% accurate.)

People already think the sideboard is too important in Modern and that sideboard slots are stretched to their breaking point - why would you want to make that worse?

I think the case would be that if you have like 10+ viable archetypes in the format, all of which you could conceivably run into, it pushes you towards more general strategic options in the sideboard instead of loading up on silver bullets.

(The potential fly in this ointment is how Affinity is really strong but just completely crumbles to targeted sideboard cards.)

I'm not a fan of DLS, anything he can do his command does better or Chandra.

He creates an immediate threat your opponent has to answer while usually giving you a dominate board position. 9/10 times I am able to swing the game in my favor with him, adding a clock with 3 flying damage plus whatever else I've taken with him.

I dig Silumgar's scorn, but in the base GB deck with a blue splash (the one I'm running), he makes alot more sense than an instant (that does a lot of useful things) and another 6 drop that is much tougher on a mana base with 2R vs a single U

If I continue playing BG Aristocrat, I'm adding 4 Evolving Wilds specifically to shuffle the deck. Sending non-creature things I wanted to the bottom of my library vs. you and then not being able to see them again was rough.

If I continue playing BG Aristocrat, I'm adding 4 Evolving Wilds specifically to shuffle the deck. Sending non-creature things I wanted to the bottom of my library vs. you and then not being able to see them again was rough.

That is not a deck you want to slow your mana down with.

Man, winning a game against Miracles with Daze when they have 7 lands is THE BEST.

Grim Lavamancer you from 6 -> 4

play Clique eot, opponent hard casts force, two remaining lands are fetches

DAZE
DAZE

GET BODIED

Grixis Delver isn't really my style, but man that was satisfying.

edit: redacted

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
This is the deck I'm taking to NYC GP. I got completely boned by my deck's inconsistency due to mana during FNM and two game days, so I got kinda frustrated and switched to two colors that won't get blown out by reflector Mage nor languish. Check it:

BW Control.dec, Built with Decked Builder
http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/193479

WanderingWind

This is the deck I'm taking to NYC GP. I got completely boned by my deck's inconsistency due to mana during FNM and two game days, so I got kinda frustrated and switched to two colors that won't get blown out by reflector Mage nor languish. Check it:

How does the deck fair against other control-ish decks with a ton of spot removal (like yours)?

Jhriad

You can actually play Wild Nacatl now and not be an absolute idiot for doing so. That is a very good thing. Having a format dominated by infinite combos (life and/or damage) causes huge problems both for decks trying to get you from 20->0, as well as control decks who are trying to prevent exactly that.

That's a bit hyperbolic. Zoo was hardly unplayable before the Twin banning.

f0rk

I don't believe that it was a reasonable deck to pick up and be able to expect a real chance of you winning a tournament. 5-0 on MTGO isn't the same thing.

Well there were 0 blue decks in the SCG top 8, are you an idiot for playing the colour now? Meanwhile there are still 3 infinite life/damage combos there.

kirblar

Well there were 0 blue decks in the SCG top 8, are you an idiot for playing the colour now? Meanwhile there are still 3 infinite life/damage combos there.
I'm really not a fan of Melira being in the format, I actually wanted to hit part of that before Siege Rhino hit and made Pod the only option. The problem is that she's also an infect SB card. I'm not sure if the cure is worse than the disease.

Feeder/Thune is fine, it's like Kiki, if you can't deal with a 5 mana creature, too bad.

I'd find room for a Planar Outburst or even Descend somewhere. Languish not hitting a grown up Advocate or a fed Husk is a real issue.

I'm really not a fan of Melira being in the format, I actually wanted to hit part of that before Siege Rhino hit and made Pod the only option. The problem is that she's also an infect SB card. I'm not sure if the cure is worse than the disease.

Feeder/Thune is fine, it's like Kiki, if you can't deal with a 5 mana creature, too bad.

Chord is the actual issue there, having convoke it's ridiculously undercosted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom