• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking mono white humans

I've found the mono-white players tend to be the most belligerent on cockatrice. Doesn't matter if they played eight creatures that game or three creatures by turn two, any time they lose it wasn't a good game and I managed to win despite terrible plays and bad sideboard plans.

This one dude even messages me to tell me how bad it was that I just kept attacking him with manlands instead of playing my dragon. It's like, you have three cards in hand with a mono white deck and you haven't done anything for several turns. You either drew Avacyn which I can kill with my grasp of darkness, or you have declaration in stone, which makes playing the dragon pointless.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";202301511]I've found the mono-white players tend to be the most belligerent on cockatrice. Doesn't matter if they played eight creatures that game or three creatures by turn two, any time they lose it wasn't a good game and I managed to win despite terrible plays and bad sideboard plans.

This one dude even messages me to tell me how bad it was that I just kept attacking him with manlands instead of playing my dragon. It's like, you have three cards in hand with a mono white deck and you haven't done anything for several turns. You either drew Avacyn which I can kill with my grasp of darkness, or you have declaration in stone, which makes playing the dragon pointless.[/QUOTE]I like when players give you shit for playing into something obvious even though it's sometimes the right play to bait something like Avacyn out.

Turbo speed judge dispute is riveting stuff.

"East West Bowl has brought a crazy new brew to the GP here today, so here's G/W Tokens vs. Bant CoCo again!"

Christ, what the fuck are they doing?

bigkrev

Match is finally over... He played an Ugin, grabbed 2 dice for the 7, and then used another die for the plus 2

I'm offended

I drive about 4 hours a week and I like to listen to stuff while I'm painting, so what are the best MTG podcasts?

My favorite is Pat Chapin's Top Level podcast, followed by CEDtalks because of Patrick Sullivan.

I used to listen to Limited Resources, but it gets stale pretty quick because every episode is the same thing and their opinions are pretty predictable.

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";202306737]I drive about 4 hours a week and I like to listen to stuff while I'm painting, so what are the best MTG podcasts?

My favorite is Pat Chapin's Top Level podcast, followed by CEDtalks because of Patrick Sullivan.

I used to listen to Limited Resources, but it gets stale pretty quick because every episode is the same thing and their opinions are pretty predictable.[/QUOTE]

I'm a big fan of So Many Insane Plays, because I don't play vintage, but am fascinated by it

I also love Top8Magic, but I've been listening to it for over 10 years and almost every point of reference is just as old (they will talk about Gnarled Mass at least once per episode), and the off-topic stuff like Basketball and Comics often takes up more time than the magic stuff. Also, they usually record it while walking outside so there are usually Jackhammers, honking horns, and people asking them directions in the middle of the show

Firemind

7Jmr4l9.png

welp

if you ever thought mono red would be possible or not in triple shadows...

Ashodin

No fuckin' playmat because of Mono White Humans and GB Sac

I played the EXACT two people I did NOT want to play first two rounds at my LGS.

So besides those assholes I won every single match I played after, netting me fifth place. Hurray, at least I got this beauty

nYOP2rRl.jpg

There's another store doing it tomorrow, I may go just to try to get that playmat again. At least, I can get another Anguished Unmaking.

No fuckin' playmat because of Mono White Humans and GB Sac

I played the EXACT two people I did NOT want to play first two rounds at my LGS.

So besides those assholes I won every single match I played after, netting me fifth place. Hurray, at least I got this beauty

nYOP2rRl.jpg

There's another store doing it tomorrow, I may go just to try to get that playmat again. At least, I can get another Anguished Unmaking.

I saw the BG aristocrats deck for the first time today at game day. That deck was beyond stupid. I don't get how you could beat it unless you're running Kalitas and Infinite obliteration. But Kalitas is stupid expensive so fuck that. The deck is essentially Rally 2.0, and it might actually be better because it is more consistent.

Firemind

Split the finals. Could be worse. Apparently, Sanguinary Mage enchanted with Senseless Rage is unstoppable. Also Skin Invasion overperformed.

blogatog said:
megathrowaway123 asked: Mark! You said you were bringing back a mechanic soon! Are we finally seeing the return of the beloved "bands with legends"?!

The mechanic we brought back was Madness. The Fall set is bringing back a mechanic I tried to get into a set many years ago but was unable at the time. You all have never seen it so it’s only a return for me. : )

More evidence for E. :)

I'm a big fan of So Many Insane Plays, because I don't play vintage, but am fascinated by it

My favorite thing about SMIP is how irritated Kevin Cron gets with Menendian when he misremembers a card or comes up with a crazy theory about something.

bigkrev

More evidence for E. :)

My favorite thing about SMIP is how irritated Kevin Cron gets with Menendian when he misremembers a card or comes up with a crazy theory about something.

I love when thy discuss a card for at least half an hour, and then say "oh, this won't see any play". Gitrog monster last set review was the best example of this

y2dvd

Lost first round of top 8 to an interesting take on white weenies. He had several 1 drop fliers and had Ordic as a top ender, giving his team a form of evasion. Not the most synergistic deck, but it got the job done and beat me lol.

Ashodin

Lost first round of top 8 to an interesting take on white weenies. He had several 1 drop fliers and had Ordic as a top ender, giving his team a form of evasion. Not the most synergistic deck, but it got the job done and beat me lol.

yesssss Odric

Am I a bad person for enjoying playing vs Abzan Company but hating Ad Naseum? I went to a Modern 4 Round Swiss today after 5 round Modern FNM last night, and going 2-3 to 2 Ad Naseum decks and Merfolk post tilt vs 2-2 to Burn and Abzan Company, both games where I misplayed(not casting/activating Scooze earlier was the biggest one). It's certainly a more fun format then Modern ATM.

Took down Game Day today with Bant Company w/ Special Guest Eldrazi Displacer. Only loss in the swiss was to the mirror against a stock list. It came down to him drawing Dromoka's Command and me not drawing it. In the semis, I had to be on the draw against BG Aristocrats, the nightmare match up for Bant. Turns out? Eldrazi Displacer is a BOSS against this deck. It turns off the Nantuko Husk and Abbey kills and they need cutthroat to win or nothing at all. I was dropping Displacer on 3 and just passing with mana for his activation every turn doing nothing else to drop my activation. Got to 6 lands, dropped a Sylvan Advocate. Then it was attack with Advocate every turn, make him chump or put Husk in front of it and sack 2. Any time Husk was in danger of killing me or my Advocate I would blink and reset it. I whittled away his board this way and just ground out all his cards and advantage. It was a relief and a little glorious. Then took out Mardu Control in the finals by never having more than 2 things on board at once and reloading every time he swept my board. Duskwatch Recruiter is the best uncommon in the entire set. Holy shit.

I'm playing CryptoBG tomorrow for fun. We have shittons of Kalitas running around, but everyone knows that Displacer also stalls that deck now too. I'm thinking Ultimate Price isn't the right call for sideboard options to prevent the Kalitas hosing. I need something that unconditionally takes care of both creatures but also exiles them so they can't be recurred (BG Seasons Past or Kolaghan's Command). I was thinking Oblivion Strike? 3B Sorcery, Exile Target Creature. Gets it gone and it can hit Displacer unlike Ultimate Price. I considered Complete Disregard, but if Kalitas eats a single zombie I have no answers. Anyone have a 3 mana instant answer to both creatures in black or green?

Joe Molotov

Decided to play Mono Red Aggro today for a laff and ending up winning the mat. Flip Chandra did work.She won me several games including one ult.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Decided to play Mono Red Aggro today for a laff and ending up winning the mat. Flip Chandra did work.She won me several games including one ult.

Wow, really? That's awesome. All of the flip walkers are seeing play. Well, Kytheon fell off a bit, but he'll be back.

Son1x

I went 4-1 on a GameDay with my bant coco flash brew. Not to be confused with Bant Company, the decks only share about 14 cards (+ lands). Not sure how I placed, but I only got 3 packs, so I think I was around 4th or 5th out of 37.

Both Dimensional Infiltrator and Rattlechains are pretty good with the clock and the latter, along with Void Grafter, can be used to fizzle opponents removals. Also had 3 Vryn Wingmares in my SB, who I ended up casting against Jund with 4 lands. By the time he got a fifth mana to languish, the game was pretty much over.

Dispersing Ormendahl felt pretty good too. Didn't even side in clip wings for him.

OnPoint

Shun, shun the nonbelievers. (re: Twin ban)
They were vindicated in the end.

Banning Twin was like Worldwake.
This caused the Rise of the Eldrazi.
Eldrazi Winter was like Battle for Zendikar.
Banning Eye of Ugin was like Oath of the Gatewatch.
The Eldrazi are around but only sort of, plus Emrakul is out there, somewhere.

It was all very flavorful!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Y'all are letting the Eldrazi winter rewrite history. The modern meta had been diverse for a long while. Twin at its height only made up somewhere around 14 percent of the overall meta, with an enormous diversity of decks. In 2015, Twin only made up roughly 11 percent of decks. To put that in perspective, Affinity made up about 9 percent and RDW about the same.

kirblar

I'm not, but thanks for being wrong.

Twin ended up warping nearly every U/R deck into a Twin deck because of how easy the package was to take in/out. It had terrible consequences for the format, and we're far better off without it.

Twin didn't have any of the markers of a card that needed to be banned. It was unnecessary and was clearly a move to shake up the meta before the Pro Tour. They were salting the earth so that we would never ask for another Modern PT again, lest they needlessly rip out another pillar of the format. It was so bad that they had to unban two cards just to buy back some good will.

Sorry Kirblar: WW is more right than you are on this.

OnPoint

Matthias Hunt really is a monster.

One by one you will all see it my way.

Twin didn't have any of the markers of a card that needed to be banned. It was unnecessary and was clearly a move to shake up the meta before the Pro Tour. They were salting the earth so that we would never ask for another Modern PT again, lest they needlessly rip out another pillar of the format. It was so bad that they had to unban two cards just to buy back some good will.

Sorry Kirblar: WW is more right than you are on this.

Can't agree. It really did warp the meta and you almost always had to have an answer by turn 4, which sometimes acted like a free Time Walk for the Twin player. Not to mention there was no reason to play any other Blue-based and/or Red-Blue deck, as it was far and away the best option, similar to how Jund with Deathrite or Bloodbraid invalidated any other decks in that style. Also, I believe it had a pretty absurd Top 8 appearance and tournament winning percentage, didn't it?

kirblar

And yet the format (post-Eye ban) is the healthiest it's been in the entire history of the format?

Funny what removing a card that requires every deck win by turn 3 or have removal open turn 3 does.

Won a PT featuring some of the most broken decks in history, but people didn't see it as an issue because they had acclimated to it in Standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom