• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

It's because Dwarves are much more white/red than mono red but there's not a lot of sets that fits in.

I miss Balthor

61.jpg
91.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Unleashing this on sweet summer Modern children is just fucking priceless

rDbdwQR.png

Let's just go back to Lorwyn.

but w/o the merfolk mill thing. The tapping theme was fun but it was too high curve in Lorwyn. Lorwyn with Shadowmoor combined as a shard set would be interesting. Or just switching the colours I want some more UR merfolk after Jori En. Master of Waves seems replaceable in merfolk.

Yeef

Red and blue are the colors that most like spells being cast, so prowess was a good fit.
But what do blue and black like? Getting stuff in the graveyard?
Black and Blue tend to be the most controlling colors. Their mechanic should be something that helps you safely get damage through after the board has stabilized.

assemble could be as simple as put a 1/1 thopter creature token into play. Origins had a couple of those effects and keywording it wouldn't be weird.
That doesn't work. For one, creatures assemble contraptions, not players. Secondly, contraption is an artifact subtype. In order for it to work in a satisfying way, it'd need to have it's own rule set, like equipment or auras. If they just do something super simple that doesn't seem new or unique, it's going to feel like a huge cop-out to the player base.

This is precisely the intention. :)
Then it reads likely poorly and would lead to player confusion. It could read something like "This Enters tapped if you control a land with a basic land type other than Plains or Island."

I'm also wondering how much fetching you actually need to do in a two-color deck. I think it'd play fine for something like a mono-color deck that's just splashing the second color, but for a deck that's pretty heavily into both colors, it doesn't seem significantly better than the check lands. There might be ways to distort your manabase so that they always come in untapped, even in a 3-color deck, but I don't know that it's necessarily worth jumping through all those hoops.

On a semi-related note, something I've always wanted to see is land tutors that care about mana produced rather than land types. Something like "When Borderland Guide enters the battlefield, search your library for a land card that could produce G, reveal it and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library."

That doesn't work. For one, creatures assemble contraptions, not players. Secondly, contraption is an artifact subtype. In order for it to work in a satisfying way, it'd need to have it's own rule set, like equipment or auras. If they just do something super simple that doesn't seem new or unique, it's going to feel like a huge cop-out to the player base.

I didn't get the connection despite having played at the time, that said I really doubt a large amount of the playerbase cares about it. I thought it was just generally what a Kaladesh mechanic was going to be.

An investigate for thopter tokens would be fun, probably be too similar though. Especially if they simultaneously reprinted ghirapur aether grid, which I think they should anyway since it's an awesome payoff card that didn't get its time to shine in origins limited.

Yeef

I didn't get the connection despite having played at the time, that said I really doubt a large amount of the playerbase cares about it. I thought it was just generally what a Kaladesh mechanic was going to be.
The thing is, Contraptions weren't even originally supposed to be a thing. Steamflogger boss was supposed to be a bunch of gibberish as a joke. The only reason Rosewater has committed to doing contraptions is because so many people have asked for them after seeing that card. Phoning it in defeats the purpose of doing it to begin with.

Does Kaladesh even have goblins? Looked like a humans only set.

Nothing's a human-only setting. They might focus on humans when you only see 20 cards from a setting but every plane has 5+ humanoid races.

Aaron Forsythe seems to be anti dwarven still.

Rosewater said that the anti-dwarf faction in R&D had left so he can't feel that strong about it.

We also don't know that they're going to Kaladesh.

I mean we don't know that it's Emrakul either but I'm not gonna put money down on the opposite.

I didn't get the connection despite having played at the time, that said I really doubt a large amount of the playerbase cares about it.

It's irrelevant what the playerbase "cares" about. The rules already cover the printed card Steamflogger Boss and thereby restrict what the keyword action can possibly mean if it's printed.

Nothing's a human-only setting. They might focus on humans when you only see 20 cards from a setting but every plane has 5+ humanoid races.

Innistrad has Humans, dead humans, turned humans, deader humans, angels and demons/devils?
Honest question I'm sure I missed some
. Those I know of the top of my hat might satisfy that criteria but is basically just 5 sorts of humans and 1 something else.

Rosewater said that the anti-dwarf faction in R&D had left so he can't feel that strong about it.

It's just something on CSL recently that gave that impression.

It's irrelevant what the playerbase "cares" about. The rules already cover the printed card Steamflogger Boss and thereby restrict what the keyword action can possibly mean if it's printed.

I already said I didn't draw the line between that assemble and what I thought he meant with assemble so I don't know what this is supposed to do.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My win rate with Dredge is like 70% lmao

If you get a U/R deck you instantly win unless they have Grafdigger's Cage, which is one of the worse forms of hate because neither color has any graveyard hate.

Angry Grimace

I like playing black just because of Leyline of the Void right now, it fucks over so many decks.
Heck even Abzan company gets hosed by it and at 4CMC it's outside the range of Abrupt Decay even.

The problem is that the green splash in the deck costs nothing. The best way to beat this deck is just to go faster than it does.

To be sure: you win a lot of games with it because opponents do not understand how to interact with Bridge from Below. But it's actually a really interestingly crafted deck in that you also sometimes win through sheer attrition of Bloodghasts and Prized Amalgams even where your opponent understands how to interact with Bridge from Below.

Its less completely overpowering the way Vintage Dredge is, but its probably a little more resilient since it actually does play land and mana.

The problem is that the green splash in the deck costs nothing. The best way to beat this deck is just to go faster than it does.

To be sure: you win a lot of games with it because opponents do not understand how to interact with Bridge from Below. But it's actually a really interestingly crafted deck in that you also sometimes win through sheer attrition of Bloodghasts and Prized Amalgams even where your opponent understands how to interact with Bridge from Below.

Its less completely overpowering the way Vintage Dredge is, but its probably a little more resilient since it actually does play land and mana.

I've actually played a bunch against dredge mostly with control decks and game 1 winrate is dreadful. Having GY hate in the sideboard is generally good in the state of the meta though so game 2 and 3 usually end up being in favour of the control deck.

Yeef

Blood Moon and other interactions (if it works how I think it does.)
Ah, okay. With a Blood Moon out the original wording would come out untapped, but the specific wording wouldn't. That's accurate. It seems like a pretty narrow corner case though. Even with Blood Moon in play, if you have two (non-mountain) basic lands in play it'll still come in tapped with the original wording.

Innistrad has Humans, dead humans, turned humans, deader humans, angels and demons/devils?
Honest question I'm sure I missed some
. Those I know of the top of my hat might satisfy that criteria but is basically just 5 sorts of humans and 1 something else.

Innistrad is far and away the most human-heavy plane ever due to the way that the "monsters" are all ex-humans, but even so there are angels, demons, devils, treefolk, plus the four monster races.

I already said I didn't draw the line between that assemble and what I thought he meant with assemble so I don't know what this is supposed to do.

I don't really follow what you're getting at here.

My hopes for nonhuman intelligent races in Kaladesh are: monkeys, bear people, loxodon (elephant people), nagas or snake people, aven based on South Asian birds like peacocks, rakshasas (cat demons), and dwarfs.

Particularly, I imagine monkeys working as assistants to the artificers, carrying wrenches and such, that sometimes go crazy and ride around on thopters. I imagine the bear people as being more peaceful, with some even acting as monks and druids.

As for the setting, I hope it's more on the peaceful side than the past few blocks. Like sure, have a rebellion against the government or whatever, but don't put the entire plane at stake.

Innistrad is far and away the most human-heavy plane ever due to the way that the "monsters" are all ex-humans, but even so there are angels, demons, devils, treefolk, plus the four monster races.

I don't really follow what you're getting at here.

That's the point, they basically already made a human only plane. I'd even count angels among them.

That you're reiterating a pointless discussion. You're the third person to tell me assemble already exists. For some reason in response to the post where I admit I didn't realize it and thought it was a proposed Kaladesh mechanic not an existing one.

Santiako

What happened? I opened the Stream and it was the Humans deck tech.

Jund vs Jeskai Nahiri

Jund went something like discard, discard, fulminator mage, discard, kolaghan command getting back fulminator mage, fulminator mage, liliana, pithing needle on fetchland, discard, liliana ultimate, Jeskai concedes.

Jim Davis (on Jeskai) got to play 1 remand all game. They were laughing all the way through, it was hilarious.

That's the point, they basically already made a human only plane. I'd even count angels among them.

Right, the closest we get to "basically human-only" is a plane where there are a ton of non-human-creature-type races with supported tribes that look more human. Anywhere that isn't specifically the humans vs. the world setting is gonna have an even greater range.

That you're reiterating a pointless discussion. You're the third person to tell me assemble already exists.

And you said even though it exists you didn't think most people would care, which isn't a relevant fact for the reason I mentioned.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Top 8d sealed PPTQ in the area. Punted game 3 when my opponent was at 1 in the first round. Feels awful. Got half a box in prize support, pulled hot garbage.

I should feel ok, but I do not at all.

Right, the closest we get to "basically human-only" is a plane where there are a ton of non-human-creature-type races with supported tribes that look more human. Anywhere that isn't specifically the humans vs. the world setting is gonna have an even greater range.

And you said even though it exists you didn't think most people would care, which isn't a relevant fact for the reason I mentioned.

This is totally blowing out of proportion, probably my fault. I really don't consider Innistrad even close to a marginal range so something lending itself to greater range even particularly diverse. I also don't think Steampunk as Kaladesh is supposed to be lends itself to high fantasy tropes particularly well. Add vedalken and goblins and it will feel too similar to mirrodin and/or Ravnica, we only got a glimpse of Kaladesh so anything could happen but I wouldn't be surprised if race diversity is low on the plane.

With assemble I didn't mean people wouldn't care if they misappropriated assemble for something else but that people wouldn't particularly care if assemble will ever be used. If that wasn't clear I apologize.

Just made another pptq top 8 with sultai eldrazi. While I'm waiting for top 8 to start solve this problem:

I activate wandering fumarole, then swap it's p/t. Then I cast titans strength on it. How big is my creature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom