• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son1x

Slivers win against Tron, hooray!

I play Slivers myself (EDH and modern), went 3-1 at FNM yesterday with them. They're pretty solid, especially in current meta.

Santiako

Go Slivers!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203651676]Just made another pptq top 8 with sultai eldrazi. While I'm waiting for top 8 to start solve this problem:

I activate wandering fumarole, then swap it's p/t. Then I cast titans strength on it. How big is my creature?[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you wait until the swap is resolved before casting titan's strenght.

1/4 - > 4/1 -> +3/+1 -> 7/2

If not,

1/4 -> swap still on stack, +3/+1 resolves, 4/5, then swaps to 5/4?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203651676]Just made another pptq top 8 with sultai eldrazi. While I'm waiting for top 8 to start solve this problem:

I activate wandering fumarole, then swap it's p/t. Then I cast titans strength on it. How big is my creature?[/QUOTE]

Everyone's favorite topic: Layers!

It's a 5/4 if my memory is correct. Because Layers treat power swapping as the last thing in the order they go off.

Ninja Edit:

It's a 1/4, gets +3/+1, then P/T is swapped.

I also don't think Steampunk as Kaladesh is supposed to be lends itself to high fantasy tropes particularly well.

Haven't played Arcanum I take it. :p

With assemble I didn't mean people wouldn't care if they misappropriated assemble for something else but that people wouldn't particularly care if assemble will ever be used. If that wasn't clear I apologize.

Oh, yeah, there are like ten people who care and they all send long rambly questions in to Blogatog.

OnPoint

Oh, yeah, there are like ten people who care and they all send long rambly questions in to Blogatog.

This is one of those moments where he needs to go "Guys, get over it. The card was a joke and the mechanic is never happening." But he's too clever for that.

ironmang

Nahiri's price is going up like crazy. I should have gotten one for my commander deck when she was cheap >_<

Ya I'm regretting only getting 1 lol. Had plenty of opportunities to trade for them too and was thinking of putting together that kiki chord list that she fits right in. Now I'm for sure not getting them until it's like 20 or less again.

ironmang

It's super hyped right now so I'm not expecting the $34 to stick. Besides being in the winning Tokyo list it's put up almost no notable results.

Daedardus

So, what are the viable U/R strategies in modern right now? I have a Twin skeleton lying around and I want to flesh it out again, it's the only deck I have since I lost my other cards and I don't have the money or will to buy in into a completely different archetype. I guess Jeskai Control is the way to go now?

Firemind

So, what are the viable U/R strategies in modern right now? I have a Twin skeleton lying around and I want to flesh it out again, it's the only deck I have since I lost my other cards and I don't have the money or will to buy in into a completely different archetype. I guess Jeskai Control is the way to go now?
Blue Moon is a viable deck. It has a lot of the same cards as Twin. Hope you still have your Blood Moons. ;)

Daedardus

Blue Moon is a viable deck. It has a lot of the same cards as Twin. Hope you still have your Blood Moons. ;)

Actually I thought about buying some extra Blood Moons and make it a Blue Moon deck, but I don't see it performing well and maybe it's better to invest that money in good white cards and make it a Jeskai deck? One good thing about U/R is that it has many staples that can flexibly function in different decks, so I already have many of the required cards. What also plays a part is that I want to slowly build my collection again, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy into some white staples.

An-Det

Has the UWR Nahiri deck that's been showing up in Modern run anything notable outside the usual lists besides Nahiri and Emrakul? I'm curious to switch to that version but I'm not sure if I need anything else beyond Nahiri's.

OnPoint

Man Nahiri... Right before the Pro Tour I felt like this guy:

Image.ashx

Turns out I was right for the wrong reasons haha

I gotta say that it is a major flavour win to have her be the harbinger of Emrakul before it is officially revealed that she is in fact the harbinger of Emrakul.

I mean it makes sense inasmuch as designing her to summon the biggest, most obnoxious possible creature for when that's Emrakul 2.0 will naturally also do that for Emrakul 1.0, but it's still pretty neat that they did a good enough job at it for that combination to get real competitive play.

So people who have followed the modern deck closer than I have: what did people get wrong in the initial read on Nahiri? What about the card makes it strong here that people were ignoring in the fairly ambivalent response right after the set reveal?

kirblar

I mean it makes sense inasmuch as designing her to summon the biggest, most obnoxious possible creature for when that's Emrakul 2.0 will naturally also do that for Emrakul 1.0, but it's still pretty neat that they did a good enough job at it for that combination to get real competitive play.

So people who have followed the modern deck closer than I have: what did people get wrong in the initial read on Nahiri? What about the card makes it strong here that people were ignoring in the fairly ambivalent response right after the set reveal?
Her -2 is insane as people were thinking it was, but what people missed is that her ult is actually relevant because it kills so quickly.

OnPoint

I feel like the speed at which her ult can go off (+2 over +1 is real), and the shells she's in are great at protecting her until it can.

Her -2 is insane as people were thinking it was, but what people missed is that her ult is actually relevant because it kills so quickly.

I think it's actually the opposite. When the card was spoiled all the reactions I saw from pro players like Pat Chapin were how crucial the ultimate was. I think the fact that she ticks up 2 means she survives a lot better in formats that don't play specific planeswalker hate like Modern. She survives bolt, iok and abrupt decay, and attacks from most creatures including most tarmogoyfs. The chance of her surviving until you untap is just really high.

The big thing I'm seeing is that everyone completely blanked on her she requires 2 bolts to answer once she's in play due to priority/the way counters work. The moment she pluses, oh boy you're in trouble if you don't have big answers.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203717055]I think it's actually the opposite. When the card was spoiled all the reactions I saw from pro players like Pat Chapin were how crucial the ultimate was. I think the fact that she ticks up 2 means she survives a lot better in formats that don't play specific planeswalker hate like Modern. She survives bolt, iok and abrupt decay, and attacks from most creatures including most tarmogoyfs. The chance of her surviving until you untap is just really high.[/QUOTE]
This is actually a feature of a lot of new planeswalkers. Narset comes to mind. (Gideon of course the OG, and he sees Modern play.)

OnPoint

I was trying to think if there was a way to build a Nahiri deck that singlemindedly protected her and getting to her ultimate. Here is my first rough draft:

Turbo Fog Nahiri
Main
4x Nahiri, Harbinger of Barhinger
1x Emrakul, The Acorns Scorn
4x Leyline of Sanctity
4x Angelsong
4x Dawn Charm
4x Druid’s Deliverence
4x Ethereal Haze
4x Fog
4x Holy Day
4x Isochron Scepter
3x Brushland
2x Battlefield Forge
4x Windswept Heath
3x Wooded Foothills
3x Sacred Foundry
3x Temple Garden
2x Plains
2x Forest
1x Mountain

Sideboard
4x Path to Exile
2x Rest in Peace
4x Ancient Grudge
3x Stony Silence
2x Gideon Jura​

Santiako

There were zero Abzan CoCo in day 2 of the SCG Open, I wonder if it was hated out or the big amount of GR Tron killed them.

Also, W/R Control in the top 8 say what.

Both decks on camera, Jeskai Control (seed 1) and WR Control (seed 8) are using the Nahiri+Emrakul as the win condition. She's going to be so expensive I'll never get one ;_;

Joe Molotov

When everyone was going nuts over Seasons Past, I traded two Dark Petitions that I had been sitting on since they were bulk rares for a Nahiri. ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom