• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to see this dude's plan to cash out.

I mean, I know what my plan would be:

6ff106e8027b31c182fe8a24db807734.png

G.ZZZ

If i were hassled to speculate, i would've bought tons of New Jace , Pia and Nahiri as soon as they were spoiled.

I should definitely start to speculate damn. The idea of recieving things and then having to sell them online is a bit annoying to me tbh. Can't i just trade them as though they were stocks?

Santiako

Jeskai Nahiri takes the SCG Open, Nahiri already starting at 25€ in mkm, yesterday you could find copies for 13-14€. I wonder what the ceiling is.

red13th

The Nahiri Jeskai modern deck is so funny when it works but it seems very very slow. Saw BBD I think playing it on Channel Fireball's youtube channel and it only really went online match 4 (didn't see match 5 yet).

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I really need to start buying planes walkers when they're like 10 bucks at the beginning of a set release; the ones that aren't overtly nuts (see Gideon).

Isn't hallowed moonlight an easy sideboard card for these modern decks against the Nahiri/Emrakul combo? Is it good against enough other strategies to make it into sideboards?

Isn't hallowed moonlight an easy sideboard card for these modern decks against the Nahiri/Emrakul combo? Is it good against enough other strategies to make it into sideboards?

The thing that makes Nahiri great in Jeskai control is that they can leave mana up while she does her thing. The turn she ultimates they'll have all their mana available and a grip full of Spell Snares, Remands and Cryptics.

bigkrev

What are the odds Cavern of Souls gets a reprint in Eternal Masters and what will it do to the price of the thing?

If it's not in Eldritch Moon, it will be in Eternal Masters

If it's in Eternal Masters, it will probably have a similar price trajectory as Blinkmoth Nexus getting reprinted in MM2. It was a 11 dollar card at sets release, got as low as $5, worked it's way back to $15 in Eldrazi Winter, and has stableized at around $8. I'm guessing you will have a chance to get them for $15 or less at some point in the next 365 days

OnPoint

If it's in Eternal Masters, it will probably have a similar price trajectory as Blinkmoth Nexus getting reprinted in MM2. It was a 11 dollar card at sets release, got as low as $5, worked it's way back to $15 in Eldrazi Winter, and has stableized at around $8. I'm guessing you will have a chance to get them for $15 or less at some point in the next 365 days

I'm thinking more in terms of selling my copies. Probably a smart move to get rid of them now and rebuy in later.

bigkrev

I'm thinking more in terms of selling my copies. Probably a smart move to get rid of them now and rebuy in later.

Yeah, I think it has a decent shot of showing up in Eldritch Moon- It's a popular card from the previous INN block that is playable in almost every constructed format while not being broken in Standard (no one plays Counterspells anymore anyway) and provides support to the tribal mechanics they had in BFZ block

Yeah, I think it has a decent shot of showing up in Eldritch Moon- It's a popular card from the previous INN block that is playable in almost every constructed format while not being broken in Standard (no one plays Counterspells anymore anyway) and provides support to the tribal mechanics they had in BFZ block

I think either Forsythe or Stoddard mentioned in an article that it wasn't going to show in this block. Part of the reason it has gotten so high as it is now.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Cavern of Souls is a 50 dollar card right now.

I don't know how you believe it'll be in either with any amount of certainty. We know nothing about Eternal Masters right now, so anything along those lines is pure speculation. Also, the amount of reprints they do in return sets is minuscule and Cavern was such an outlier in the AVR that it's nowhere near a certainty that it'll be reprinted in EDM.

Lastly, a card with a defined role in eternal formats, printed at rare and sitting currently at 50 bucks, isn't going to drop to 15 bucks unless it is mass reprinted. Even then, that's not a certainty. EDM would affect the price. Eternal Masters, not so much. Let's look at a similar card with Vendilion Clique. Pre-Modern Masters, it was a 50 dollar card (yes, earlier in its life it was cheaper) but since its reprinting at rare, it dropped only slightly to where it is relatively stable at about 40 bucks.

WanderingWind

Will Eternal Masters even do anything for the prices? I've heard WoTC is being even more stingy with the print run this time.

Small decrease during its run (assuming no downgrade in rarity) then restabilization to where it's at. Magic price memory is a bitch and even with the Eldrazi menace neutered, it's still played in nearly every deck that cares deeply about creatures. Unless it gets printed in a regular print run set, I don't see the price cratering at all. Even then, Thoughtseize dropped quite a bit, but still remained above 30 bucks ( I could've swore it was 20, but eh) and is now slowly inching back up.

My two cents: If you have Caverns and you're planning on remaining in modern/legacy don't sell unless you need the cash for insulin or something. You might get dinged if it's spoiled for EDM (Anybody got a link to WotC saying it for sure wasn't in there?) but not by much and not for long.

Daedardus

They need to do the enemy fetches in a regular set though. I know they can't do it right now, but the one thing I'm missing in my decks is a good mana base but I'm not paying up $80 a pop for what should be a utility card.

OnPoint

Thoughtseize dropped quite a bit, but still remained above 30 bucks ( I could've swore it was 20, but eh) and is now slowly inching back up.

My two cents: If you have Caverns and you're planning on remaining in modern/legacy don't sell unless you need the cash for insulin or something. You might get dinged if it's spoiled for EDM (Anybody got a link to WotC saying it for sure wasn't in there?) but not by much and not for long.
I remember Thoughtseize being around 20 during most of its Theros standard life.

Thanks for the advice on Cavern.

ultron87

red13th

Why did they release all announcements at once?
Even the 2nd set in Kaladesh block. wtf

EDIT: Derp they explained why.

But why did we announce it all at once?

We want our fans to know when to expect upcoming products to be revealed—and to see further into the future of Magic's release schedule.

Therefore, as of this announcement, we will have two major product announcements every year—one in the spring and one in the fall. In those announcements, we will announce the next block and any supplemental products that will be released during the next year or so.

You will also notice that the pages holding the full announcement details do not all contain every element you might be used to in a set announcement—particularly key art, localized set logos, some amount of text, or other graphic treatments. That is because, for some of these, we are announcing them before those items are finalized.

While we will occasionally announce certain products off-schedule, by and large almost all of our announcements will fit this schedule. You can look for the next Announcement Day in September. We will have more detail on the exact date of those announcements as we get closer to them.

Not sure what to think of 4c commanders, at that point they lose most of their identity and there's little reason to stay 4 colours over 5, aside from these specific commander cards.

Their power lvl will probably be very pushed because of that.

ultron87

The new intro product, Planeswalker Decks, will have 5 new cards that aren't in any booster product, but will be Standard legal. A Planeswalker, a spell that does a thing and tutors for that Planeswalker, and an uncommon permanent and a common that work with that walker.

They say they are designed not to be pushed for tournament play.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/ramp-approval-2016-05-16

Might be a good way for them to have there always be Gatewatch member cards floating around, but still have cards for other walkers.

Shock, awe, all the strong hints for the last nine months that the upcoming set would be Kaladesh have meant that the upcoming set is Kaladesh.

4 color commanders no goddamit, fuck.

Not sure what to think of 4c commanders, at that point they lose most of their identity and there's little reason to stay 4 colours over 5, aside from these specific commander cards.

Their power lvl will probably be very pushed because of that.

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

I'm lazy so just imagine I photoshopped some four-color legends onto the money here:

kcivQIP.gif

jph139

I'm mostly hyped for the Planechase Anthology - those decks are crazy expensive nowadays and I've never been willing to pony up for the Plane cards.

Santiako

What's the problem with the 4-color commanders? It was obviously coming.

It means that they'll print 3 commanders for each 4 color combo, which means that at least 3 of them will be ridiculously absurd, which means that everyone is going to play those all the time for years. Last time they did something similar (wedges) we got Prosh, Derevi, Animar and Kaalia, all of them designed for commander and way too good, they are still the best or nearly the best commanders for they color combination.

ultron87

I'm curious to see what they even do mechanically for the 4 color cards since at that point it's more defined by the absence of a color than anything else. The Nephilim don't really have much to do with their colors, so I expect them to try a bit harder for Commander.

What's the problem with the 4-color commanders? It was obviously coming.

The identity of 4 colours is more the lack of colour than the ones it's made up of.
There's a reason WoTC stopped at shards and wedges as themes.

It means that they'll print 3 commanders for each 4 color combo, which means that at least 3 of them will be ridiculously absurd, which means that everyone is going to play those all the time for years. Last time they did something similar (wedges) we got Prosh, Derevi, Animar and Kaalia, all of them designed for commander and way too good, they are still the best or nearly the best commanders for they color combination.

Fuck Animar, Kaalia isn't really a problem though.

jph139

I assume at least one Commander in each set is going to be, like two-color with a hybrid activation or something. Like a WG with a UR activated ability - a lot easier to parse the colors with that set up.

Spending a month tuning a decklist and being rewarded with back to back PPTQ top 8s is a pretty good feeling. Finding out that the guy that won was the dude that bought all the cards the night before and was goldfishing next to you before the tournament to figure out how his deck worked really puts things in perspective, though.

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203807919]The carousel in the background certainly gives me hope.[/QUOTE]

Theme: "What if maybe magic wasn't horrible for everybody?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom