• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Already confirmed a new PW, Saheeli Rai:

CilfERRVAAASdvl.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/732220942173282308

She looks UR to me, which is exciting.

The set descriptions (and the fact that it's based on India) make it sound like class warfare will be a major theme.

By the way, my loss in the swiss at the PPTQ was from my buddy Ivan Jen, who wound up being the top seed going into the top 8.

As is his wont, he had some crazy deck that only cares about how many spells he can play in the same turn and he was freely showing off people his list and sideboard during the tournament. As it turns out, my Ultimate Prices aren't great against Stormchaser mage, and he's the one who gave me that Wandering Fumarole layers puzzle I posted earlier.

Also, he's playing a Triskaidekaphobia deck in Modern with Grove of the Burnwillows and Hidetsugu's Second Rite. You gotta know what you want out of the game.

Last time they did something similar (wedges) we got Prosh, Derevi, Animar and Kaalia, all of them designed for commander and way too good, they are still the best or nearly the best commanders for they color combination.

Only half of those are from the wedge decks and of those two, only Animar is actually super OP, Kaalia is fine.

I assume at least one Commander in each set is going to be, like two-color with a hybrid activation or something. Like a WG with a UR activated ability - a lot easier to parse the colors with that set up.

I think they either go down to 2 commanders per deck or they take this approach, yeah.

does that mean no new PW in any product until Kaladesh?

Possibly, although we pretty much knew that about EDM. There'll almost certainly be a new PW card in Conspiracy 2 but it'll probably be an existing character.

Also I'm sure the answer is "magic" but I'm very curious how she gets into and out of that latticwork corset thing

Isn't there a specific plot thing already about how that form of latticework metal they use is something they learn to shape by magic?

She looks UR to me, which is exciting.

The set descriptions (and the fact that it's based on India) make it sound like class warfare will be a major theme.

It'd certainly be tough to have her be something else in that outfit.

And yes, there's a class warfare element in the backstory we got in Origins already.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203809335]By the way, my loss in the swiss at the PPTQ was from my buddy Ivan Jen, who wound up being the top seed going into the top 8.

As is his wont, he had some crazy deck that only cares about how many spells he can play in the same turn and he was freely showing off people his list and sideboard during the tournament. As it turns out, my Ultimate Prices aren't great against Stormchaser mage, and he's the one who gave me that Wandering Fumarole layers puzzle I posted earlier.

Also, he's playing a Triskaidekaphobia deck in Modern with Grove of the Burnwillows and Hidetsugu's Second Rite. You gotta know what you want out of the game.[/QUOTE]

That's the guy who took down an open with Springleaf Drum and Jeskai Ascendancy, right?

Finally managed to trade off my Sin Prodder. Having that thing in my binder was giving me anxiety.

That's the guy who took down an open with Springleaf Drum and Jeskai Ascendancy, right?

Yeah, dude's been forcing combo for years. He just loves his math decks. He was going on about needing to deal exactly 2 to planeswalkers and such. Always has some fun idea.

Possibly, although we pretty much knew that about EDM. There'll almost certainly be a new PW card in Conspiracy 2 but it'll probably be an existing character.

Isn't there a specific plot thing already about how that form of latticework metal they use is something they learn to shape by magic?

It'd certainly be tough to have her be something else in that outfit.

And yes, there's a class warfare element in the backstory we got in Origins already.

bummer.

And regarding her, wouldn't it be bad to be able to judge colour identity from clothing? Personally thought UW but I didn't give the clothing much thought.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Planeswalker deck sounds like the most going to be cancelled idea ever.

Wow, a lot of stuff today. I suppose announcing everything beforehand like this does help prevent things like the Return to Ravnica announcement completely overshadowing news about Avacyn Restored and the oddity of having a big product announcement for Shadows over Innistrad while they were still trying to push Battle for Zendikar.

First of all, glad that Kaladesh is being promoted with actual South Asian characters this time, and we're even getting a female South Asian planeswalker. The key art revealed makes me hopeful that we aren't going to get a planar destruction story. I also note in the credits that although there aren't any South Asians in the creative team, they consulted a lot of them.

The Planeswalker Decks are interesting, particularly in that so many new cards are being created for them. I know MaRo mentioned that the planeswalker cards will be expensive (in mana), and won't be pushed, but I'll laugh if their Jace turns out to be a major Standard player anyway. Having spells that tutor for that specific planeswalker card is an interesting work-around for having only one planeswalker in the deck.

I'm surprised that so many people here are upset that the next Commander decks will have a four-color theme. This is something we know people have been asking for for a long time, and the complaint that a bunch of people will just play these commanders seems to be a complaint about these products in general rather than it being four-color. I expect that the face commanders will be purely four-color, but the alternate commanders will have two colors in the mana cost and two more as activated abilities.

They also announced draft packs for Conspiracy that contain three booster packs. The price is just a few cents short of normally buying three booster packs, and it's being sold in mass-market stores. I forget, are the normal booster packs being sold mass-market? If not, then this is interesting.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I am IN on the planechase anthology. Looked up the old decks once on ebay and was like 'nope'.

4 color commanders is a little rougher to stomach. I've bought all the decks so far (mostly for my play group to have stuff to pick from), but I'm not sure about these ones. Will have to wait for spoilers.

If I'm crazy and randomly decide I want to try to play Magic, are the toolkit's the best place to start? Or starter decks? Newer or older versions of those?

No clue what the plan is, just buying and seeing where it goes.

Santiako

If I'm crazy and randomly decide I want to try to play Magic, are the toolkit's the best place to start? Or starter decks? Newer or older versions of those?

No clue what the plan is, just buying and seeing where it goes.

If you have a game shop nearby you can go and ask for 2 sample decks for free. They are janky but they are good to learn.

I have a big section in the OP for getting started. For free, you can download Magic Duels. It's no Hearthstone, but it works for getting experience with the game.

For getting started in paper, they just announced a new beginner product, Planeswalker Decks, but they won't start coming out until fall. Intro Packs have been discontinued, so that part will be removed in the next thread.

To get your collection started, buy a Deckbuilder's Toolkit or a Gift Box.

GETTING STARTED
If you're a beginner, feel free to come in--that's why this is in OT, after all. Spoiler season is one of the most exciting times for a Magic player, and it would be great for more to join in. Us regulars can get a bit technical with card evaluations and use a lot of jargon, and many of us will loudly proclaim that a cool-looking card is junk, or say that a lame-looking card is really powerful, but feel free to ask us if you want an explanation.

To see what a game is like, check out Geek and Sundry's Spellslinger series, where Day[9] battles various geek celebrities, often losing, using simple and easy to follow decks.

To get started, check out the official page. Basically:
* It's recommended that new players play Magic Duels (thread). It's a great way to learn the game on your own, and it's free!
* For your first deck, you can buy an Intro Pack, a simple prebuilt deck that comes with a few booster packs. For each new set, five Intro Packs are released. There are also Duel Decks that provide two decks for a game right out of the box, but are a bit more complicated.
* To get your physical collection started, buy a Deck Builder's Toolkit, which includes not just a starting collection of cards (including a lot of lands), but also has some booster packs and is a good place to store cards. You could also buy a Holiday Gift Box to get an even larger starting collection and better storage.
* To learn about the theories behind deckbuilding and gameplay, check out Level One.
* Once your skill advances, another popular way to play Magic casually is Commander. Each player chooses a legendary creature to act as commander and then chooses 99 additional cards, one of each card that isn't a basic land (of which you can have any number) and only of the colors of the commander, to make up the deck. In games, each player starts at 40 life and there are typically four or more players. Wizards provides prebuilt decks for this format too.
* While game stores will often hold Magic events at other times, every store that has Magic events will have Friday Night Magic. There, you will be able to find other players in your area to both have matches with and trade with. Find game stores here. And to get started participating in your local game store (LGS) scene, attend a prerelease!

We should probably only be expecting 2 new PW characters or so a year at this point, they've got a pretty big cast.

And regarding her, wouldn't it be bad to be able to judge colour identity from clothing?

It's pretty normal, just look at PW Narset. Having people's outfits match up with their color identities is just a good cognitive shortcut. The factioning in Magic is so heavily based on color that it's pretty natural that the visuals will be influenced by that.

I'm surprised that so many people here are upset that the next Commander decks will have a four-color theme.

People always need something to complain about.

All the coming set symbols, except eldritch moon. I'm starting to think than the set symbol is literally Emrakul. The Kaladesh symbols look nice.

Oh my god the Kaladesh block ones are gorgeous. This set is going to be so good you guys.

If you have a game shop nearby you can go and ask for 2 sample decks for free. They are janky but they are good to learn.

Hmmm, I'll have to check this out.

I have a big section in the OP for getting started. For free, you can download Magic Duels. It's no Hearthstone, but it works for getting experience with the game.

For getting started in paper, they just announced a new beginner product, Planeswalker Decks, but they won't start coming out until fall. Intro Packs have been discontinued, so that part will be removed in the next thread.

To get your collection started, buy a Deckbuilder's Toolkit or a Gift Box.

Yeah, sorry I checked out the OP and was going to check out the duels thing, but was confused when looking up kits on amazon and was wondering if there was some consensus on newer and older ones.

I'm basically at work checking out a bunch of resources trying to convince myself to just go to the local shop and start asking questions.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
4 color commanders sounds real dumb, but I guess whatever. I rarely buy the product unless its really value packed like the mono-colored ones, so its just not for me.

Hmmm, I'll have to check this out.

Yeah, sorry I checked out the OP and was going to check out the duels thing, but was confused when looking up kits on amazon and was wondering if there was some consensus on newer and older ones.

I'm basically at work checking out a bunch of resources trying to convince myself to just go to the local shop and start asking questions.

Oh, if your confusion is over what Deckbuilder's Toolkit to buy, then just buy whatever. Even if you buy the newest one, you'll get some cards for sets that aren't currently in the Standard format, so it's best not to worry about the Standard format.

Angry Grimace

I mean, I guess the Planeswalker intro decks are an okay idea, I'm just not set on the idea of making it so the entire deck revolves around getting the PW out. That isn't really how Magic works.

We should probably only be expecting 2 new PW characters or so a year at this point, they've got a pretty big cast.

It's pretty normal, just look at PW Narset. Having people's outfits match up with their color identities is just a good cognitive shortcut. The factioning in Magic is so heavily based on color that it's pretty natural that the visuals will be influenced by that.

but that's bad imo, both but the 2nd part worse. It's only possible that way if colour always determines social standing/belonging and thereby respective culture. I shouldn't be able to look at a card art and say "oh it's gonna be this".

Speaking about that what happened to the art quiz website?

MaRo spent quite a while on a recent podcast talking about how one of the reasons why leaks hurt is because having everything spoiled at once decreases the longevity of the hype machine, so it's only natural they've compressed every magic announcement into two days every year

but that's bad imo, both but the 2nd part worse. It's only possible that way if colour always determines social standing/belonging and thereby respective culture. I shouldn't be able to look at a card art and say "oh it's gonna be this".

It's actually an important part of the game that you be able to recognize a card at a glance, and a big part of this is being able to recognize what color the card is by glancing at any part, including the art.

Angry Grimace

Unless the focus of the deck is the planeswalker

Except that's not how most games of Magic play out and its supposed to be a deck that introduces the game.

The way they're describing it makes it sound like a control deck where you just stall to get a Planeswalker out.

It's actually an important part of the game that you be able to recognize a card at a glance, and a big part of this is being able to recognize what color the card is by glancing at any part, including the art.

agreed to the first, disagree with the second. The art should just be fitting to the lore of the plane and the rest of the card. Black cards don't always have to dress like they are going to a goth convention.

Ashodin

Except that's not how most games of Magic play out and its supposed to be a deck that introduces the game.

The way they're describing it makes it sound like a control deck where you just stall to get a Planeswalker out.
I agree it's not how normal games are played, but it can introduce ideas to new players.

Decks should be designed with a specific end goal in mind, as opposed to a hodgepodge of cards that are neat, and getting a specific card out is an easy to understand demonstration of this. The way I see it, this will encourage new players to build decks with actual end goals, even if getting a specific card isn't a common goal for competitive decks.

Angry Grimace

I mean, I don't care about the new Planeswalkers - its actually a good idea when you think about it. While Maro says PW are hard to design, that's because literally all of them are designed to be constructed playable or at least on a constructed power level (even if they don't all work out).

It's just that I think its a weird way to introduce people to the game. But I also haven't seen the decks so my initial impression is pretty meaningless.

Angry Grimace

Also, the official unveiling of Kaladesh means that we are going to need to place some kind of thread-wide wager on whether Contraptions are on Kaladesh and how they work. If contraptions were ever happening they are happening now.

OnPoint

Also, the official unveiling of Kaladesh means that we are going to need to place some kind of thread-wide wager on whether Contraptions are on Kaladesh and how they work. If contraptions were ever happening they are happening now.
Let's hope so. Means more goblins if true, if that's anyone's kinda thing. Goblins low point in a caste system is a classic touch.

Ashodin

Remember, mages on this plane are scarce. How they harvest Aether for their contraptions is unknown. The second set is Aether Revolt. Get the picture?

Santiako

Remember, mages on this plane are scarce. How they harvest Aether for their contraptions is unknown. The second set is Aether Revolt. Get the picture?
That's way they are outside the system :p Then on the second set you get the whole tech vs magic, with Mages coming out of other colours as well.

ultron87

Some more Kaladesh details in the Art Book announcement:
http://www.viz.com/blog/posts/special-new-the-art-of-magic-the-gathering-release

"Welcome to Kaladesh – a vibrant, beautiful plane where anything is possible. Join the heroic Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch as they explore the Inventors’ Fair, and let your imagination soar alongside thopters and airships crafted by the best artificers in the Multiverse. Come discover the marvels of Kaladesh – its inhabitants, its inventors, and its artifacts. They all await you at the grand Inventors' Fair!"

Kaladesh_twitter_1024x512.jpg

Yeef

Really hope Kaladesh is enemy pairs.
The dual lands, at least, almost have to be enemy colors. We'll be losing Origins and the pain lands, leaving us with 2 ally-color cycles and only 1 enemy color.

The thing I want from Kaladesh, more than anything else, is more equipment-matters stuff in monored so I can fill out some cube slots.

Some more Kaladesh details in the Art Book announcement:
http://www.viz.com/blog/posts/special-new-the-art-of-magic-the-gathering-release

"Welcome to Kaladesh – a vibrant, beautiful plane where anything is possible. Join the heroic Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch as they explore the Inventors’ Fair, and let your imagination soar alongside thopters and airships crafted by the best artificers in the Multiverse. Come discover the marvels of Kaladesh – its inhabitants, its inventors, and its artifacts. They all await you at the grand Inventors' Fair!"
It'd be cool if a new version of Daretti showed up here, though we don't know what races (other than humans) are common. As a goblin he might not fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom