• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's already a breath of fresh air. Loving everything about it so far. Admittedly, not a lot to go off from, but the lighter tone so far and the aether, not wave your hands and make thunder come from your nostrils is nice. And color. Oh, what color.

Remember, mages on this plane are scarce. How they harvest Aether for their contraptions is unknown. The second set is Aether Revolt. Get the picture?

I imagine mages will be disproportionately be represented in cards. Remember that mages are technically supposed to be rare on every plane.

Concerning castes, I doubt they'll actually go that direction, beyond a general government officials > city folk > country folk thing, and that they'd have soldiers, artisans, and priests. I'm sure there'd be flavor text related to it, but I don't think they'd assign specific color pairs. IIRC, didn't Theros also have castes? They didn't make a big deal out of it there.

red13th

Some more Kaladesh details in the Art Book announcement:
http://www.viz.com/blog/posts/special-new-the-art-of-magic-the-gathering-release

"Welcome to Kaladesh – a vibrant, beautiful plane where anything is possible. Join the heroic Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch as they explore the Inventors’ Fair, and let your imagination soar alongside thopters and airships crafted by the best artificers in the Multiverse. Come discover the marvels of Kaladesh – its inhabitants, its inventors, and its artifacts. They all await you at the grand Inventors' Fair!"

Kaladesh_twitter_1024x512.jpg

Sooooo beautiful. Kind of reminds me of FFXII.

Santiako

At some point they'll have to print generic named painlands, so this could be a good point to start :p

Or just finish the scars cycle.

Ashodin

http://www.viz.com/blog/posts/special-new-the-art-of-magic-the-gathering-release

"Welcome to Kaladesh – a vibrant, beautiful plane where anything is possible. Join the heroic Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch as they explore the Inventors’ Fair, and let your imagination soar alongside thopters and airships crafted by the best artificers in the Multiverse. Come discover the marvels of Kaladesh – its inhabitants, its inventors, and its artifacts. They all await you at the grand Inventors' Fair!"

tumblr_m928w2ykuT1r9kmjj.gif

Notice how the big tower in the back is powering out mana, radiating like a Magic WiFi Tower?

ironmang

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203807619]Spending a month tuning a decklist and being rewarded with back to back PPTQ top 8s is a pretty good feeling. Finding out that the guy that won was the dude that bought all the cards the night before and was goldfishing next to you before the tournament to figure out how his deck worked really puts things in perspective, though.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like me when I borrowed affinity last year and top 4d a pptq then won one a week later. Made me realize how important deck choice is vs getting hundreds of games and fine tuning a possibly mediocre deck. A lot of my games were pretty ugly too in the amount of mistakes I was making but it ended up not mattering.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I wish they had just stuck Jace in the corner looking gormless as usual to make people flip out.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Kaladesh stuff looks incredible.

Part of me wonders if this push towards making Planeswalkers the centre of the M:TG experience, especially for new players, might suggest that Magic Next (of whatever the next digital platform is called) might be a format that is centered around Commander-style Planeswalkers, in the same way that Hearthstone has hero classes.

Firemind

I don't know why people keep passing me Bogardan Hellkites. Either it's a 3-for-0 or you win. And it has Flash. Sounds like a bomb to me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I dunno about this caste thing you guys want. It sounds like it could offend people if done wrong.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I dunno about this caste thing you guys want. It sounds like it could offend people if done wrong.

I'm sure it will be all standard fantasy style and not something directly traceable to India but "'It's Time to Take the Power Back' with Aether Revolt" is damn suggestive of some good ol' class struggle

but that's bad imo, both but the 2nd part worse. It's only possible that way if colour always determines social standing/belonging and thereby respective culture. I shouldn't be able to look at a card art and say "oh it's gonna be this".

It doesn't make sense for a guy with superhuman capabilities to run around in a cape and underoos either and yet here we are. Magic isn't the real world and a lot of abstraction in support of its game-ness is actually the most important thing for the art department to provide. Very specifically, you should be able to look at card art and say what it is, since the art serves the gameplay purpose of helping people know what's what at a glance. If you need to justify it in-world, we already know the color aspect of the mana colors is "real" so you could have people either purposely leaning towards their own colors or subconsciously being inclined that way.

MaRo spent quite a while on a recent podcast talking about how one of the reasons why leaks hurt is because having everything spoiled at once decreases the longevity of the hype machine, so it's only natural they've compressed every magic announcement into two days every year

The problem they have is that they actually can't avoid announcing one set before the next one is out due to retail ordering timelines, which means they also can't use the announcement as a serious hype kickoff since it's not the product they want people to get hyped about.

They've experimented with a few options to deal with this, but I think the benefit they might get from Announcement Day is that if they just have everything out there, they can start the hype cycle for each upcoming set whenever is convenient without worrying about sneaking in an announcement first, and announcing everything in one day means they split up the hype and don't completely overshadow the next thing coming.

The way they're describing it makes it sound like a control deck where you just stall to get a Planeswalker out.

I think it's just gonna be more like a deck where you have a bomb and try to play it as often as possible, which lines up pretty well with the new player experience anyway.

It'd be cool if a new version of Daretti showed up here, though we don't know what races (other than humans) are common. As a goblin he might not fit.

I'd keep an eye out for Daretti in Conspiracy 2 tbh.

Gimme arabian settings again plz. Best setting.

On the short list!

Angry Grimace

Just release the set on the day it releases but don't tell anyone what it is or what cards are in it.

Ashodin

Just release the set on the day it releases but don't tell anyone what it is or what cards are in it.

Lame.

Hype generation > No Hype generation

I wonder if Saheeli thinks she's above everyone else because she's a planeswalker. If there's a caste system, then she should consider herself better than anyone else by being able to visit other planes.

Angry Grimace

Lame.

Hype generation > No Hype generation

I wonder if Saheeli thinks she's above everyone else because she's a planeswalker. If there's a caste system, then she should consider herself better than anyone else by being able to visit other planes.

They used to do this.

Back in the day the only way I knew what cards even existed was to buy the Encyclopedia.

Angry Grimace

You could buy a copy of a price list in Scrye or something but it didn't say anything about the cards, and certainly not before the set itself came out.

bigkrev

I remember getting an issue of Duelist magazine back in 1999 and they had the Oracle for all standard legal cards, and I spent a long time studying it and learning what every card did.

Scrye always had the best price guide but never had card text. Inquest occasionally would have the complete card guide to magic, with star ratings!

I don't really see how it's offensive. It's one of the big things people think of when they think of Indian Culture/Society, and I'd rather have Wizards give us a risky thing and fail then to completely ignore that aspect.

Plus, Wizards has a bunch of supporting Southern Asian /Indian individuals helping out with the set, so I'm more inclined to believe it would be handled with care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom