• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Also, kudos to Wizards for doing steampunk in a setting other than Victorian-England with monocles and tophats.
What? You don't love rich British people in fancy clothes being oh-so-quirky as they spout one-liners while hopping across zeppelins to fight dastardly sky pirates while espousing the wonders of "science" that has nothing to do with real science? /s

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What? You don't love rich British people in fancy clothes being oh-so-quirky as they spout one-liners while hopping across zeppelins to fight dastardly sky pirates while espousing the wonders of "science" that has nothing to do with real science? /s

Goddddd I maintain that steampunk is the one thing I get to be a fucking hipster on, back when it looked like it might actually be an interesting speculative genre on the back of stuff like The Difference Engine and the magic-technologic conflict of games like Arcanum. Before it became a goddamn fashion style

pigeon

Banned
Goddddd I maintain that steampunk is the one thing I get to be a fucking hipster on, back when it looked like it might actually be an interesting speculative genre on the back of stuff like The Difference Engine and the magic-technologic conflict of games like Arcanum. Before it became a goddamn fashion style

I miss Arcanum, except for the child sex conspiracy thing. I thought it was a great execution on magic/tech conflict. Wish there were more games that pursued that direction instead of just being like "magitech we cool now."

red13th

There's a twitter hashtag about putting Jon Finkel pictures next to images from a certain anime girl in similar poses. :lol

CiZfUMYUkAQ0k6w.jpg

CiZfTqiUYAAm5rB.jpg

CiZfUJmVAAEYvbe.jpg

I'm actually pretty intrigued by what they'll do with the 4-color commander decks. My guess is there will be a 4-color flagship general, with the other 2 generals comprised of hybrid mana costs or off-color activation abilities. One cool idea could be a hybrid-cost general made up of two different pairs that could be played as a 2, 3, or 4 color general depending on the desired strategy.

Multi-hybrid is just incredibly confusing to people, which is why they've never done it before -- it's really hard to look at something that's like {W/B}{R/G} and figure out what that actually means in practice.

I think if I were approaching this and wanted to use three different techniques for the three different legends in each box, I'd do one classic WURB style, one styled after the Alara Reborn gold-hybrids such as {W}{U}{B/R}{B/R}, and then one two-color with a different two-color activation, like {W}{B} with a {U}{R} ability.

Colored artifacts are also just actually stupid

They're not universally, irredeemably stupid -- the god weapons are pretty solid, and the Phyrexian mana artifacts are the actually well-implemented part of the mechanic -- but just having a ton of them with nothing actually distinguishing them is dumb, yes.

red13th

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203916372]Man, Cube is really fun.

Play Avenger of Zendikar, tap Gaea's Cradle, play Myr Battlesphere

Emrakul and Polukranos in hand[/QUOTE]

Thank god for wraths and mono red. :)

It makes predictions a lot harder when there are like 5 planeswalkers that look very similar on the face of it

forgot who it was, but someone on here saw a deck with her in top 8 in the PT and that's when i jumped on it.

i got goggles before the price hike too.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Multi-hybrid is just incredibly confusing to people, which is why they've never done it before -- it's really hard to look at something that's like {W/B}{R/G} and figure out what that actually means in practice.

I think if I were approaching this and wanted to use three different techniques for the three different legends in each box, I'd do one classic WURB style, one styled after the Alara Reborn gold-hybrids such as {W}{U}{B/R}{B/R}, and then one two-color with a different two-color activation, like {W}{B} with a {U}{R} ability.

This is what I'm expecting. A cycle of Legendary spellshapers perhaps

Korgoldix, Priest of Savagery
2WB
Whenever a creature you control dies, each opponent loses one life and you gain one life
R, T: Discard a card, deal 3
G, T: Discard a card, make a 3/3 Wolf

OnPoint

This is what I'm expecting. A cycle of Legendary spellshapers perhaps

Korgoldix, Priest of Savagery
2WB
Whenever a creature you control dies, each opponent loses one life and you gain one life
R, T: Discard a card, deal 3
G, T: Discard a card, make a 3/3 Wolf

This wouldn't surprise me.

True, I would never expect something like multi-hybrid to appear in a Standard set, just as a 1-off in a supplemental product. I do, however, think what we'll get will be closer to what you outlined. I just really liked the Fate Reforged cycle of legends, and thought it was an elegant way of creating legends that could either be 2 or 3 colors, and was hoping to see that idea expanded upon.

Maledict

They're not universally, irredeemably stupid -- the god weapons are pretty solid, and the Phyrexian mana artifacts are the actually well-implemented part of the mechanic -- but just having a ton of them with nothing actually distinguishing them is dumb, yes.

My issue with coloured artifacts is that they massively eat in enchantments design space. Rosewater complained a lot about enchantments not having enough space to do a proper enchantment block when discussing Theros, but they have to realise part of the reason for that is that artifacts have in many ways replaced them over the years - equipment and coloured artifacts really blur the boundaries a lot.

Also, as you say - I've yet to actually see a reason for them outside of a very small selection of cool, unique cards. Most seem to be fairly pointless and unnecessery.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Arlinn + Needle Spires + Atarka's Command is a really good reason to add red to that tokens deck but good god does the mana suck for three colors when you aren't playing cheaty bullshit like Collected Company
LLShC.gif

Naya mana is pretty solid actually. I've played a lot of Naya Superfriends/Control/Whatever recently and the mana is one of the reasons it performs so well. Or maybe Oath of Nissa is just busted, I don't know.

Santiako

I just put up my introduction video on my youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDN3nKtyoiSWfRbER6Sh4ag

However, I'm still tweaking the audio levels and visual effects, so it's a learn-as-you-go process (how I learn best, actually).

Today's video will be about the Kaladesh announcements yesterday, plus probably another video about Kaladesh speculation.

Yeah, you need to adjust the audio levels. The music is too loud and you sound like you are far away. Other than that it's ok.

Reading over the announcements again and I really like the "Fat Pack" name change :)

I hope they continue to come with the lands; nothing is mentioned about it so I assume they do.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203953605]If Kaladesh is next does that mean we get another year with Hangarback Walker?[/QUOTE]

After people responded badly to having the Titans two core sets in a row, which Wizards has acknowledged, I doubt they'll reprint it in Kaladesh block.

Joe Molotov

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ But if Ornithopter doesn't get a reprint, we riot.ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203959305]More like Baleful Strix please[/QUOTE]

It's specific to Esper.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203953605]If Kaladesh is next does that mean we get another year with Hangarback Walker?[/QUOTE]

They don't reprint cards worth money. They have REASONS but the actual one is "we want you to buy more cards."

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203959584]Hangarback already saw a reprint in the event deck, though.

Isn't it a miscellaneous card from supplemental sets? I think you're confusing it with Tidehollow Strix. Or Strix a shards-only thing?[/QUOTE]

It is specific to Esper - it's a colored artifact, which is an Esper thing. I realize this is stupid, but it is true.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203960040]fuck the rules

t༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ[/QUOTE]

I guess there are technically some from New Phyrexia, but those are all Phyrexian mana based and Baleful Strix is pretty clearly an Esper thing.

Ashodin

Hangarback is super sweet, all-star in my RW Equip deck. The entire deck probably will look radically different when Kaladesh rotates in.

Opponent taps out so I kill him, and he complains he should have left mana up for his stasis snare so it would have been an "easy win imo". All I really did was attack him with manlands all game and he died. He said, "but I have Demonic Pact".

I'm not making this post to make fun of this guy, but I thought this was an interesting topic to discuss. If you think Demonic Pact is an especially reliable card and a good standard build-around, you have to pay attention to card advantage or mana efficiency in concrete terms.

here are his plays and the Pact's effect on the game:

• Play Demonic Pact: -4 mana, -1 card
  • 4 damage, still needs another spell to finish off my creature: still -4 mana, -1 card
  • discard, I get rid of two spot removal cards I can't use vs his creatureless deck, still -4 mana, -1 card(technically +1, but my cards were irrelevant so in real terms the discard had no effect)
  • draw: -4 mana, +1 card
  • bounce and replay Demonic Pact with silumgar's command(which killed my ob nix and thus card neutral): -8 mana, +1 card
  • dies
If you break it down, this is like spending 4 mana on an ancestral vision that gains you 4 life instead of drawing the third card, and has the downside of occasionally killing you .

Obviously, this isn't the way it's always going to play out, but it's really important to keep track of this stuff. There are times where you'll get more advantage than this, maybe even +3 or +4 over a game, but it's a major investment of your resources for such a slow effect, and in many games the damage and discard abilities will just have no utility at all. Compare the amount of time and mana it took him to get +1 cards, as well as the risk of killing himself, to a card like Painful Truths. In his relatively painless Esper manabase, he spends 1 less mana and immediately gets +2 cards. The consistency and impact of Painful Truths is worlds away from Demonic Pact, despite having significantly fewer lines of text.

I know this was a bit of a ramble, But I think card evaluation like this in very simple terms this is a huge part of winning games of Standard, which is the least synergy-based of the competitive formats.

noquarter

Card advantage is actually one of the harder aspects to really grasp in Magic. It seems like it would be easy, but it is actually harder to really explain than why you only want the minimum amount of cards in your deck. It gets a lot easier to understand the more you play, but when you are still new to the game it seems like having more cards would be good since you will have more choices.

Not seeing you were playing a newer player, but that sounds like one of the traps that players without a lot of experience fall in, and is still one of the traps I occasionally fall in.

Edit: And it is kind of unfair to give him a -1 one the turn you discarded two since he is still up one. Without perfect knowledge he made the right play, you just happened to have dead cards in hand.

Edit: And it is kind of unfair to give him a -1 one the turn you discarded two since he is still up one. Without perfect knowledge he made the right play, you just happened to have dead cards in hand.

It's still notable. Just like the times where your only ability is discard and your opponent had 0 cards, they may also have 6 cards in hard, 2 or more of which are irrelevant in the matchup.

It's especially worth noting because it's actually an anti-synergy ability to put in your deck. When you design a control deck with the intention of making a certain number of your opponent's cards dead, you have to expect to hit those dead cards if you're playing Mind Rot in your maindeck. It's not unlucky, it's an actively poor strategy. He's actually undoing the inherent card advantage of his archetype.

Aggro decks generate card advantage by ending a game with more mana efficient cards before their opponents can empty their hands. Control decks generate card advantage by making a certain percentage of their opponent's cards irrelevant. You should play effects that support the idea for the archetype you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom