• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, that's Board Wipes, but it's not one sided. White is the colour that does Balance, and Scorched Earth feels black to me. Each one of those is basically symmetrical as an effect.

When I think Scorched Earth, I think Sowing Salt in the land, killing any chance of life ever being there for a long time(So mass Exile). Flaying Tendrils is what I'd call Scorched Earth, or Kalitas, where the dead life that would exist to help redevelop is completely gone.

Your odd random capitalization almost makes it look like you're talking about actual cards, in which case Sowing Salt and Scorched Earth are both red :p

I'm not talking about specific cards, just the ideal of scorched earth, which is represented well and truly as part of white's color pie via the game mechanic "board wipe." It's been that way since alpha and it's a part of its pie that continues to be used in modern magic design. That's exhibited by white having cards that destroy all lands, destroy all creatures, destroy all nonland permanents and destroy all small creatures.

Ashodin

AutoCardAnywhere is hilarious when we talk about stuff like this.

"Scorched Earth is very white" (card comes up red)

Also makes the thread always littered with cards and makes me think at some point in the future our entire posts will be just card names

Jace, Unraveler of Secrets had to Pore Over the Pages to continue his Ongoing Investigation into Archangel Avacyn's rampage. He had to Confirm Suspicions.

Every time I see a link come up in a Magic Story I always wonder if they did it on purpose

Talking about scorched earth they should make an asymmetrical boardwipe a la

Scorched Earth 2WW

Sorcery

Destroy all lands you control and all creatures opponents control, they can't be regenerated.

Your odd random capitalization almost makes it look like you're talking about actual cards, in which case Sowing Salt and Scorched Earth are both red :p

I'm not talking about specific cards, just the ideal of scorched earth, which is represented well and truly as part of white's color pie via the game mechanic "board wipe." It's been that way since alpha and it's a part of its pie that continues to be used in modern magic design. That's exhibited by white having cards that destroy all lands, destroy all creatures, destroy all nonland permanents and destroy all small creatures.

It's an issue with my phone's keyboard, randomly capitalizing letters, but I'll try to fix that.

I get that white has board wipes, but scorched earth still feels tinged with black to me.

Basically I'm saying Nahiri should be Mardu if she stays in the mindset :p

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It'll have to be a conversion then.

The strongest magic in the multiverse belongs to marketing.

It's an issue with my phone's keyboard, randomly capitalizing letters, but I'll try to fix that.

I get that white has board wipes, but scorched earth still feels tinged with black to me.

Basically I'm saying Nahiri should be Mardu if she stays in the mindset :p

Black also has it in its color pie. Not disagreeing with that, just the statement that it doesn't feel white. It's primarily in white, secondary in black and tertiary in red. Except mechanically via damage or -1/-1 effects and or counters, which then go to red and black, respectively.

It's Black White. They want you to be a part of the cult but for their own gain.

All hail the glory of the iPhone!

Angelian Tech Blogger 3W

Creature-Human Scribe

At the beginning of your upkeep, if you own 4 or more Apple Products, Transform ~

"What's the deal with Apple Products anyways?"
1/3

Cupertino Cult Leader

Creature-Human Cleric

~'s Power and toughness are equal to the number of Apple Products you control.

At the beginning of each end step, put a 1/1 Black and White Human Cleric onto the battlefield.

"Steve Jobs Descended from above and shared his wisdom with us" -Excerpt from "Jobs"

The colour scheme even matches.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Serra hasn't been depicted in cards in like a decade plus right? Give her some wings, say she's "technically not an angel" or that she's the "ur-angel, the one genuine living angel" and give her a planeswalker card

The refugees from her plane aren't. That's a really interesting tidbit I wonder if they'll follow up on down the line.

True, but the post I was replying to was about the character. :p Though I agree, it'd be nice to check up on some of the refugees.
Especially if they get to interact with New Phyrexia.

Ashodin

Well it stands to reason you could invent a plot device like:

Person A was born on Serra's Realm

Person A is a planeswalker.

Person A's spark ignites but also causes them to unleash their infusion of Serra's Realm to create angel wings and powers.

The Technomancer

Yeah my broader point is just that the easiest handwave in the world is "this person just looks like an angel and is a planeswalker" if that aspect of the lore is such a sticking point for them.

Ashodin

So much better if they're male too

85ca91078aabd3239dc2fa5675444d66.jpg

Maledict

Well white would rather see something destroyed than see it corrupted, their destruction is also indiscriminate which gives them wraths. She had a lot of time to think about in the vault and we don't know what she's been doing since she got out.

Did I miss where they confirmed she had been trapped in the vault?

Fuck it, give Elspeth wings. Its how she escapes the underworld. I dunno

Anything but this lol.

I'd have been fine with one of the artificial angels becoming a planeswalker but they're dead now...

EDIT: Nope, confirmed. :(.

Did I miss where they confirmed she had been trapped in the vault?

It's assumed but it just makes Sorin look like an even bigger idiot if that's the case.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I forgot does Slobad have the spark?

He gave it up at the end of the Mirrodin story didn't he?

Shame, Slobad PW would be sick.

Ashodin

Slobad used his to send all the people who were brought to Mirrodin back to their planes.

He just forgot that those people had children. Oops.

Joe Molotov

Fuck it, give Elspeth wings. Its how she escapes the underworld. I dunno

Elspeth, the Angel-blooded
WW
+1: Draw a card then discard a card at random. Until end of turn Elspeth, the Angel-blooded becomes a 2/2 Human Angel Warrior creature with flying that's still a planeswalker.
-4: Put X 1/1 White Solider tokens in play where X is equal to the number of cards in target opponent's hand.
-6: Gain control of all creatures until end of turn. Untap them. They gain haste and flying until end of turn.

Slobad used his to send all the people who were brought to Mirrodin back to their planes.

He just forgot that those people had children. Oops.

Mirrodin books started really strong and then ended so awfully.

Slobad PW would literally be Daretti and yeah he used it to res mirrodin and it didn't even give him a mention in Scars, Glissa and Geth got another card, Bosh is scrap metal and Slobad was never seen again. Goblins seemed so much more pronounced in OG Mirrodin than Scars in general.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I never liked Radha bring back Freyalise please, and the old guard.

Let me kill the one thing protecting Innistrad. The thing I cannot replace. Let me not see if I can fix whatever Nahiri has done or even look into it at all.

The same issue that keeps him from making another Avacyn (the Mending) also keeps him from doing anything useful to fix the problem. The story establishes that she can actually hurt him now so he can't just stand there and let her rage uselessly while he studies the problem or anything.

It's probably to keep her as Nahiri colourwise, considering the only Walker that's gone all different types is Sarkhan.

Sarkhan hasn't been white.

AutoCardAnywhere is hilarious when we talk about stuff like this.

I even turned on dictionary words so on here I get all kinds of ridiculous stuff like "Far and Away the best time to Call it a Bust is when you make an Error on your Order."

Drafting TPF

noideadog.jpg

You were joking about five color slivers the other day but just by virtue of being a linear strategy that's in all three packs it's actually a great choice in TPF if no one else playing has any idea what they're doing either.

Slobad's dead.

The Technomancer

The same issue that keeps him from making another Avacyn (the Mending) also keeps him from doing anything useful to fix the problem. The story establishes that she can actually hurt him now so he can't just stand there and let her rage uselessly while he studies the problem or anything.

Man like...I get why the mending had to happen, but I sort of miss the idea of planeswalkers as incredibly, godly beings. Like, that actually felt like it matched up to the player idea of "you are a planeswalker", it is pretty trivial for me to just get enough white mana and make an angel.

That's the thing, it's only a problem because his first thought was "confront Avacyn head on", if he'd bothered to look into anything beforehand, perhaps he could have done something less drastic. However, I'll concede there was no better solution at the time. But this is Sorin who foresaw his people annihilating Innistrad and apparently built a system to protect not just against them but also against extra-planar threats as well. And when something goes wrong he doesn't even consider why? Hmm.

That said,
according to the players guide he was going to destroy her anyway, that was the price of Olivia's help, no? Which is also insane, "yes, I'll destroy the angel I can (at least partially) control who the vampires couldn't defeat to get their help against the planeswalker I (apparently) can't defeat."

The descriptions of the plane in the blook were amazing.

Yes and the sense of discovery was great, fifth dawn felt organic in the books and finding the hints for cards in the set was amazing as a kid. Never found a Bruena card :(

I never liked Radha bring back Freyalise please, and the old guard.

Radha was awful but the old guard was pretty bad. Venser was the best we got out of the TSP block and they went and killed him.

Also apparently wizards is ceasing wpn support left and right for small LGS in europe that can't fulfill their unreasonable requirements for our standards.

Santiako

So, Tom Ross in his latest SCG article is already predicting this:

I predict that Nahiri, the Harbinger will be the next card banned from Modern. It'll be about six months from now, but it will happen. It's customary to ban the enablers of combo decks: Summer Bloom but not Primeval Titan, for example. In this case, it's Nahiri, he Harbinger and not Emrakul, the Aeons Torn.

That seems way too early to predict.

To be fair, Avacyn is going around mindlessly upsetting the balance of Innistrad and undoing Sorin's work while he's going around doing whatever. Avacyn isn't some being intrinsically tied to the health of the plane, she's an artificial safeguard meant to protect against imbalance creeping up over generations. She did more damage in the short time she went haywire than her not being there would have done.

Also, if Sorin couldn't defeat Nahiri, I seriously doubt she'd have to go around and attack him in such a passive-aggressive way.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204048906]To be fair, Avacyn is going around mindlessly upsetting the balance of Innistrad and undoing Sorin's work while he's going around doing whatever. Avacyn isn't some being intrinsically tied to the health of the plane, she's an artificial safeguard meant to protect against imbalance creeping up over generations. She did more damage in the short time she went haywire than her not being there would have done.

Also, if Sorin couldn't defeat Nahiri, I seriously doubt she'd have to go around and attack him in such a passive-aggressive way.[/QUOTE]

Eh, given how bad things got the last time she was gone, I'm not so sure that's correct...

As for that, if that's the case, what does he need Olivia for?

Hero

Nahiri doesn't want to just beat Sorin, she wants to make him suffer like she did. That's why she's going around destroying everything he wants one by one, piece by piece.

Nikodemos

Could anyone pls explain to me WTF happened in the three or so weeks I've been away from the market? How did Nahiri get to $40?

HeebyGB Standard Power Rankings:

1. Painful Truths - By far the best draw spell, and the cheapest immediate 3-for-1 in the format. Is played in Legacy. Why aren't you playing this card?
  2. Collected Company - Best value and tempo play for a creature deck, will never be bad
  3. Eldrazi Displacer - Turns a lot of outs into ggs, great in both company decks and control decks. fights both tokens and monsters, great when paired with hallowed moonlight and/or value creatures
  4. Reality Smasher - Efficient at killing planeswalkers through tokens, thus singlehandedly beating a cornerstone of the format, hard to kill effectively unless they're playing bw.
  5. Silumgar's Command - Basically destroys every established deck in Standard if you can get to the point you're casting it safely. It would be hard to design a deck and/or board state where this card isn't awesome.
I think these are the best spells in Standard right now, and you should be playing one or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom