• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

noquarter

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203973183]It's still notable. Just like the times where your only ability is discard and your opponent had 0 cards, they may also have 6 cards in hard, 2 or more of which are irrelevant in the matchup.

It's especially worth noting because it's actually an anti-synergy ability to put in your deck. When you design a control deck with the intention of making a certain number of your opponent's cards dead, you have to expect to hit those dead cards if you're playing Mind Rot in your maindeck. It's not unlucky, it's an actively poor strategy. He's actually undoing the inherent card advantage of his archetype.

Aggro decks generate card advantage by ending a game with more mana efficient cards before their opponents can empty their hands. Control decks generate card advantage by making a certain percentage of their opponent's cards irrelevant. You should play effects that support the idea for the archetype you choose.[/QUOTE]
I know it's notable, I was just saying that with the information to the player that could have been the beat move to make since it does give him card advantage. It sounded like that was what you were saying he was not evaluating and the one time in your examples he made the play that gave him card advantage you still took it away from him.

There are all sorts of time that non-targeted discard sucks. That is why I almost never use those effects unless I'm playing a Pox deck or a deck that that can take advantage of both players discarding and the effect is like Lili's discard. Late game the effect tends to be worse since it is easy to just hold onto lands and discard those. Early game it can do damage but they are usually cost prohibitive.

Looking through your post I didn't see that he was playing straight control, you said creatureless deck and I still went with 'creatureless board' since control decks still usually have a finisher in them. I also haven't played standard since RtR rotated so really have no idea what is popular right now. I do totally agree that playing control and having late discard is anti-synergy and there are probably better cards he could play for synergy. But at the end of the day i still would say that might have been one of his better plays to make there, not knowing what he has in hand and with him not having perfect information.

Oh, I'm not concerned too much with the play itself, of course you have to pick a time to use the discard if you have Demonic Pact in your deck.

I'm talking about evaluating what cards to put in your deck and why, and sharing an example of why Demonic Pact is not an especially powerful or efficient card.

noquarter

Yes, agree with that. I'm still looking for the type of deck that I would put it in (Demonic Pact). I want to play it but not really sure exactly where I can.

And you are right, building a deck with cards that have synergy can turn mediocre cards into good cards and failing to pay attention to synergy can turn good cards into mediocre cards.

Think that is one of the reasons I prefer limited so much now is that it forces you to decide fairly quick and seeing the synergy in such a small pool can be pretty fun.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yes, agree with that. I'm still looking for the type of deck that I would put it in. I want to play it but not really sure exactly where I can.

And you are right, building a deck with cards that have synergy can turn mediocre cards into good cards and failing to pay attention to synergy can turn good cards into mediocre cards.

Think that is one of the reasons I prefer limited so much now is that it forces you to decide fairly quick and seeing the synergy in such a small pool can be pretty fun.

Limited is my favorite format precisely because of the organic discovery of sub-optimal synergies. Almost nothing in Magic feels better than looking at two cards in hand (or in your pool) and going "ohhhhh...I would never combine that in a Standard deck but right here and now that's really good"

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Limited is my favorite format precisely because of the organic discovery of sub-optimal synergies. Almost nothing in Magic feels better than looking at two cards in hand (or in your pool) and going "ohhhhh...I would never combine that in a Standard deck but right here and now that's really good"

Something tells me 5 color slivers in TTP is not "optimal"

goddamnit I shoudln't drink while I draft

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203968224]Fringe play in modern affinity lists, I don't know about anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

A perpetually 3 dollar card until and unless someone finds a great home for it (because it's colorless and decent, so it can be an EDH thing)

Angry Grimace

Ahahahahaha

hey man I got three sinew slivers this could somehow work out - I just wish I had found more Gemhide Slivers.

FYI it makes no sense whatsoever that the "year of modern flashbacks" isn't just an annual event they just continually run. They have dozens of already designed sets ready to print money for nothing, so I don't know why this is a limited time event instead of just a really long cycle that keeps going over and over.

I've played almost every limited format up to Planar Chaos on MTGO and I never would have gotten to do it otherwise since I wasn't playing then. I'm going to be really surprised if they don't just loop back after they get to the end.

Edit - I totally woulda won if I wasn't paired against a Pro tour player. (I was)

Angry Grimace

Fun fact: Collected Company is an shitty card that ruined far more games than it made fun.

What would be a fair mana cost for an artifact or enchantment with just "Sacrifice a permanent or discard a card: Nothing happens?"

Well Claws of Gix costs 0 but it requires mana to activate. I'd put it at 1 but if they ever made something like this it would do something like scry and probably cost a bit more.

Well Claws of Gix costs 0 but it requires mana to activate. I'd put it at 1 but if they ever made something like this it would do something like scry and probably cost a bit more.

They could avoid explicitly saying "Nothing happens" by making it add a charge counter to the permanent, which wouldn't do anything on its own. This would have the added bonus of getting Johnnies' wheels turning.

A card like this would be very easy to combo with all kinds of stuff, from Barren Glory to Demonic Pact and beyond. I'm thinking the ideal mana cost is around 2.5, but the question is whether they would put it at 2 or at 3, or maybe play it super safe and put it at 4 (which would make it unplayable, but... again, it'd be safe)

bigkrev

hey man I got three sinew slivers this could somehow work out - I just wish I had found more Gemhide Slivers.

FYI it makes no sense whatsoever that the "year of modern flashbacks" isn't just an annual event they just continually run. They have dozens of already designed sets ready to print money for nothing, so I don't know why this is a limited time event instead of just a really long cycle that keeps going over and over.

I've played almost every limited format up to Planar Chaos on MTGO and I never would have gotten to do it otherwise since I wasn't playing then. I'm going to be really surprised if they don't just loop back after they get to the end.

Edit - I totally woulda won if I wasn't paired against a Pro tour player. (I was)

I'd be shocked if they didn't run it back next year. It makes zero sense to announce it now-they want people to enter these drafts as if they won't ever be run again.

"Sorin," says one of the creatures, her empty eyes directed to the vampire. "You can help her, can't you?"

"Silence," he snaps, and the demons jolt with the force of his voice. He turns to me again. "Listen to me. If you have some grievance with these two, you may kill them before we begin."

GO SORIN GO

Not bad. It shows that Sorin is so above Jace and co in power that now I think that he'll die to kill/imprison Emrakul.

I think that he'll die to kill/imprison Emrakul.

I think that he'll die

lol Sorin doesn't give a fuck about protecting the multiverse, he stopped Emrakul the first time as an insurance policy to stop Innistrad from getting fucked up later. That's why Nahiri is bringing her here. To piss off Sorin like she came into his room and shook up his ant hill. He's not gonna kill himself over it.

Doug Beyer is so much better than most of the jokers they have writing these things. I appreciate that they gave Avacyn a chance not to go out like a chump. If my evil dad was Sorin I'd try to chop him up too.

ultron87

Sorin crashing through the skylight for no reason is very funny to me.

Like there was already a big hole in a different stain glass window where Avacyn came in, and presumably also a door.

The Technomancer

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204004308]lol Sorin doesn't give a fuck about protecting the multiverse, he stopped Emrakul the first time as an insurance policy to stop Innistrad from getting fucked up later. That's why Nahiri is bringing her here. To piss off Sorin. He's not gonna kill himself over it. It's like someone coming into your room and shaking up your anthill.[/QUOTE]

Well, you know, down in Thraben they say

That Sorin's small heart grew three sizes that day

Sorin needs to remain in the story, if only so he continues to be Lawful Neutral Jackass. "Sure Avacyn, fuck up Pretty Boy and Sailor Moon if you want, but we got to talk."

His Entrance was perfect though, nothing like just breaking a window in a dramatic fashion 5 minutes after your kid did.

With the ending saying "Innistrad will return in 2 Weeks", I'm kind of hoping we get a status update on Zendikar/Chandra.

Sorin needs to remain in the story, if only so he continues to be Lawful Neutral Jackass. "Sure Avacyn, fuck up Pretty Boy and Sailor Moon if you want, but we got to talk."

His Entrance was perfect though, nothing like just breaking a window in a dramatic fashion 5 minutes after your kid did.

With the ending saying "Innistrad will return in 2 Weeks", I'm kind of hoping we get a status update on Zendikar/Chandra.

Eternal Masters previews start next week, so we're almost certainly going to get a story based on an old legendary character or setting.

Anyway, this Magic Story was pretty decent. I too liked Sorin treating Jace and Tamiyo like nothing.

Magic Story: I am Avacyn

Not bad. It shows that Sorin is so above Jace and co in power that now I think that he'll die to kill/imprison Emrakul.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sorin Markov is an idiot.

That said, good story. I'm glad Avacyn got
some of
her senses back before the end.

Tbh, I hope they let whatever's coming annihilate Innistrad. It's about the only way I can see the story ending
that isn't an asspull.

Angry Grimace

He should have shouted "DYNAMIC ENTRY!"

No one asking the important question did he do a

NWUe0YE.gif

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sorin Markov is an idiot.

That said, good story. I'm glad Avacyn got
some of
her senses back before the end.

Tbh, I hope they let whatever's coming annihilate Innistrad. It's about the only way I can see the story ending
that isn't an asspull.

I don't see what Sorin did that made him an idiot. He was willing to let his pet dog sic one of the most incompetent people in the multiverse on sight, and when Kujo wasn't listening to her master he put her down.

Hero

Do all angel characters die in Magic stories? Radiant, Akroma, the first Ravinca set Boros guild leader, Selenia and now Avacyn?

Her name is Razia k thx

Razia sux balls. Awful stats for the cmc, awful tap ability and she doesn't even vigilance. She even looks ridiculous and she was one of the first angels to be cut from my boros EDH deck I made with leftover cards.

Do all angel characters die in Magic stories? Radiant, Akroma, the first Ravinca set Boros guild leader, Selenia and now Avacyn?

the common theme is awful characters there.

I'm still really curious how they're going to justify the white in Nahiri. I mean, the red makes sense for the character and white works with the mechanics but "Fuck up a Plane because my boyfriend didn't answer my text" is hard to justify in white.

I'm still really curious how they're going to justify the white in Nahiri. I mean, the red makes sense for the character and white works with the mechanics but "Fuck up a Plane because my boyfriend didn't answer my text" is hard to justify in white.

scorched earth is as white as it gets. It's also about balance, Sorin fucked over Zendikar so Innistrad paying up fits.

The Technomancer

I was thinking the same thing earlier today, but as Familienoberhauptvogel mentioned its basically eye for an eye justice.

OnPoint

What Famili said is pretty accurate. Interestingly (design wise) planeswalkers rarely lose their base color when bleeding over and around to other colors. I can't think of any who have, actually. Even Garruk is still G.

scorched earth is as white as it gets. It's also about balance, Sorin fucked over Zendikar so Innistrad paying up fits.
I don't think Scorched Earth is white. Scorched Earth feels black to me as it's very much "If I can't have it, no one can." Angry,disproprtonal/righteous fury is definitely RW, but I still think Nahiri was way too quick to jump on the "TRAITOR!" Train with Sorin, considering the dude didn't answer one text due to bad reception.

I mean, Zendikar wasn't completely fucked over by the Eldrazi Pre-Eye opening, so unless her plan is "Seal Emrakul in the moon after letting him run wild for a bit", I don't see how it's balance. I mean, we're assuming she was locked in the vault and has been dicking around on Innistrad since it exploded, so she wasn't there to see BFZ's desolation, and Sorin went from Innistrad to Tarkir to fetch Ugin so it's not like he wasn't going to stop the Eldrazi.

It's probably to keep her as Nahiri colourwise, considering the only Walker that's gone all different types is Sarkhan.

Ashodin

What Famili said is pretty accurate. Interestingly (design wise) planeswalkers rarely lose their base color when bleeding over and around to other colors. I can't think of any who have, actually. Even Garruk is still G.

Indeed it's only happened to heroes/villains, not planeswalkers.

Kamahl (R) -> Kamahl (G)
Balthor (R) -> Balthor (B)
Jeska (R) -> Phage (B)

I'm sure there's more but you get the picture.

I don't think Scorched Earth is white. Scorched Earth feels black to me as it's very much "If I can't have it, no one can." Angry,disproprtonal/righteous fury is definitely RW, but I still think Nahiri was way too quick to jump on the "TRAITOR!" Train with Sorin, considering the dude didn't answer one text due to bad reception.

I mean, Zendikar wasn't completely fucked over by the Eldrazi Pre-Eye opening, so unless her plan is "Seal Emrakul in the moon after letting him run wild for a bit", I don't see how it's balance. I mean, we're assuming she was locked in the vault and has been dicking around on Innistrad since it exploded, so she wasn't there to see BFZ's desolation, and Sorin went from Innistrad to Tarkir to fetch Ugin so it's not like he wasn't going to stop the Eldrazi.

It's probably to keep her as Nahiri colourwise, considering the only Walker that's gone all different types is Sarkhan.

Well white would rather see something destroyed than see it corrupted, their destruction is also indiscriminate which gives them wraths. She had a lot of time to think about in the vault and we don't know what she's been doing since she got out.

Armageddon, Wrath of God, Day of Judgement, Tragic Arrogance, etc, etc, etc.

Yeah, that's Board Wipes, but it's not one sided. White is the colour that does Balance, and Scorched Earth feels black to me. Each one of those is basically symmetrical as an effect.

When I think Scorched Earth, I think Sowing Salt in the land, killing any chance of life ever being there for a long time(So mass Exile). Flaying Tendrils is what I'd call Scorched Earth, or Kalitas, where the dead life that would exist to help redevelop is completely gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom