• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

I haven't play much standard since Game Day, so the meta might have changed, but I'd have to disagree on Reality Smasher. All of Bant company's creatures just tell it no, you don't get to have fun. Displacer says no, Reflector Mage says no, Bounding Krasis says no, Avacyn says no. Late game Advocates and manlands make it hard to attack profitably.

Ashodin

Painful Truths. You funny

I also have to agree on Reality Smasher. The creature based hose like Krasis and Referee Mage just says NOPE

Painful Truths is god.

I haven't play much standard since Game Day, so the meta might have changed, but I'd have to disagree on Reality Smasher. All of Bant company's creatures just tell it no, you don't get to have fun. Displacer says no, Reflector Mage says no, Bounding Krasis says no, Avacyn says no. Late game Advocates and manlands make it hard to attack profitably.

Maybe I'm biased because I've never lost to company in a tournament because I play a deck with a ton of removal, but smasher isn't that bad. Sure they bounce it, but that's only so effective against a haste creature. And it's not like Avacyn kills Smasher when she comes down. they even still take a point.

I'll concede that Smasher isn't at it's best against company, but that's not why I put it up there. It... demolishes GW tokens.

Also, Avacyn wouldn't even make my top 10, but maybe I'm nuts. I'm not a big fan of the card in general unless it's a company mirror or GW vs company.

Avacyn dying to all of the most common instant speed removal in the format is an issue and keeping her from truly dominating. It's very hard not to telegraph her and half the decks in the format can easily hold up a Grasp or Ultimate Price or Stasis Snare.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204064980]looooool

the old turn 4 elvish visionary that costs 3+2 mana getting there[/QUOTE]

If they can't get rid of it quickly it completely takes over the game. Yes, about half the time it eats a removal spell (and replaces itself) but the other half of the time you win the game. The biggest compliment I can give it is that it actually makes me want to play green.

Ashodin

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204067824]Painful Truths is god.

Maybe I'm biased because I've never lost to company in a tournament because I play a deck with a ton of removal, but smasher isn't that bad. Sure they bounce it, but that's only so effective against a haste creature. And it's not like Avacyn kills Smasher when she comes down. they even still take a point.

I'll concede that Smasher isn't at it's best against company, but that's not why I put it up there. It... demolishes GW tokens.

Also, Avacyn wouldn't even make my top 10, but maybe I'm nuts. I'm not a big fan of the card in general unless it's a company mirror or GW vs company.[/QUOTE]

Would you say it smashes their reality?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't be the only one who is ready to be shot of "at your end step collected company herr durr"

I envision we're going to say the same thing about Avacyn.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204067824]Painful Truths is god.

Also, Avacyn wouldn't even make my top 10, but maybe I'm nuts. I'm not a big fan of the card in general unless it's a company mirror or GW vs company.[/QUOTE]
They usually double block your smasher and if you think Avacyn isn't good enough to make your top 10 your reality has apparently already been smashed because that's not a hot take.

Well if I attack with smasher in a position where I lose to a double block then it's all my fault or I would have lost to company anyway.

I can't be the only one who is ready to be shot of "at your end step collected company herr durr"

I envision we're going to say the same thing about Avacyn.

Avacyn is the most "dies to removal" of any card in standard, though. I can't think of a 5-drop that sees play that is more vulnerable to 2-mana removal. Company is better value at a cheaper cost.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204071241]Avacyn is the most "dies to removal" of any card in standard, though. I can't think of a 5-drop that sees play that is more vulnerable to 2-mana removal. Company is better value at a cheaper cost.[/QUOTE]

I dunno what to tell you other than you're wrong. Its such an inane position to take that I'm not even willing to have an argument about it, and I love arguing. You're just way off base, sorry.

I dunno what to tell you other than you're wrong. Its such an inane position to take that I'm not even willing to have an argument about it, and I love arguing. You're just way off base, sorry.

I'm off base that Company is significantly better than Avacyn? I'm not arguing that avacyn is bad, she's obviously very good. I'm saying she's not some dominant force and that she often trades down in value or can be a liability against decks that can kill creatures. And that's why I wouldn't put her in my top 10 best cards in standard.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204071442]I'm off base that Company is significantly better than Avacyn?[/QUOTE]First of all, that's a silly comparison (you might as well compare Basic Forest to Hangarback Walker or something) and your "Avacyn is bad because she dies to removal" take is what is just a really bad take.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204063648]I think the only two reasons to play Read the Bones are if you're playing Goblin Dark-Dwellers(which I think is a shaky reason to begin with), and if you only have access to 2 colors of mana.

If Scry 2 was as good as draw a card, Magma Jet would be a Modern all-star.[/QUOTE]

in my grixis list I played painful truths despite playing GDD, 90% of the time I'd want to flashback hand disruption or removal with them anyway so I didn't feel the loss.

Did some searching, but came up short. Is there a card that lets you attack with tapped creatures? I know Masako the Humorless lets you block with tapped, which is sorta why I'm asking :)

I tried a commander draft for the first time today. Man, that's a little too nuts. 5 Color Golgari Reanimator using Horde of Notions as my commander so I could play Elesh Norn, Jin Gitaxias, Tidespout Tyrant and Olivia Voldaren.

I set up a season's past loop with Grim Tutor, Acidic Slime, Bojuka Bog and Living Death to flip my graveyard every turn while nuking my opponents', but I still managed to lose when my opponent ripped zealous conscripts targeting my elesh norn off his Genesis Wave for 18.

The game took almost 3 hours. It was fun, but I don't think I'll be doing it again for a while.

I didn't want to entirely believe the doom gloom threads on reddit in regards to european stores and wpn status but not only do I believe my local store could lose it if under close scrutiny but there's only one other wizards approved store in my city and that's my ex-lgs that'd also not pass the criteria.

We're not talking small city, nearly 2 million people live here.

Joe Molotov

What'd you drop on em

Burn. Just a standard build, nothing fancy, but I had a Infect player and a Bogles player be like "fuck, I hate burn" after I beat them, haha. For some reason a well-timed Skullcrack/A-Command seems to put people on tilt.

Also beat a guy playing the new Dredge deck that's making the rounds. In Game 1 he had the nut draw and just blew me out, but in Games 2 & 3 he just kept dredging and dredging and didn't do shit. Seems a bit inconsistent.

I'm currently trying out a jeskai mentor list that has a transformative sideboard into Nahiri. Nahiri is definitely the better positioned deck but I want to test the mentor side. Playing probes and mishra's baubles for the instant value as well as a singleton pact of negation.

Angry Grimace

I for one am shock that the most popular deck is still a fucking 4 color piece of shit; oh wait, they printed overpowered garbage with CoCo so no I'm not.

FWIW I wasn't disagreeing with GB that CoCo is busted; it's in fact actually broken. Cheating on mana and color at instant speed is fucking stupid.

Angry Grimace

IDK, I guess I wasn't playing competitively much back then, but it does feel like the power level of individual creatures and Planeswalkers makes for a lot of games where you just lose on the spot because your opponent has Avacyn, CoCo, or Gideon.

traveler

Not Wario
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204079941]I tried a commander draft for the first time today. Man, that's a little too nuts. 5 Color Golgari Reanimator using Horde of Notions as my commander so I could play Elesh Norn, Jin Gitaxias, Tidespout Tyrant and Olivia Voldaren.

I set up a season's past loop with Grim Tutor, Acidic Slime, Bojuka Bog and Living Death to flip my graveyard every turn while nuking my opponents', but I still managed to lose when my opponent ripped zealous conscripts targeting my elesh norn off his Genesis Wave for 18.

The game took almost 3 hours. It was fun, but I don't think I'll be doing it again for a while.[/QUOTE]

How does this work? Do you pick commanders before or after? I feel like there'd be a pretty strong incentive to go multi color good stuff if it's the latter.

Angry Grimace

How does this work? Do you pick commanders before or after? I feel like there'd be a pretty strong incentive to go multi color good stuff if it's the latter.

I assume like any other draft but you have to follow commander deck building instructions after drafting (assuming the draft itself is kinda like EDH Cube on MODO or something?)

Firemind

These were my 15 picks of my first Time Spiral Block draft today...

k2NUpww.png

Apart from the last pick, they're all playables. I'm now convinced nobody online has drafted Time Spiral before...

Edit:
MK1AVM3.jpg

yoink! screw passing sprout swarm tho

Son1x

Played standard at my LGS today and went 3-0-1 with Esper Control. Placed 2nd and got 4 pack. Opened Avacyn and Anguished Unmaking along few other playable cards.

Won against UW Spirits, Elves and Aristocrats and tied with Grixis Control. First time playing this deck and I liked its performance. Games take a bit long, but I only went to time against Grixis. Might take it to PPTQ this Saturday.

Angry Grimace

Tron's pretty fun to play so far. I got bored of every standard deck being the same series of decks and sold out of Standard on MTGO. Had 450 tix and wanted to try either affinity or Tron. I was concerned I was possibly too stupid to order Ravager shit correctly so I went with Tron.

Just saw that Nahiri deck for the first time too. I have all of those cards in paper from when I had Twin. I guess I sold off Tarn and Serum Visions.

So where would I find some decent help building a starting deck when playing the pc game? Went through the deck building wizard but that still seems pretty open. I can be aware enough to run on a theme but feel like I may be making mistakes with too many of some cards or not enough of others.

bigkrev

I just got my first ever chance to cast Sprout Swarm in limited
Card is as insane as advertised. How the hell was this a common?!?

OnPoint

Been testing my modern Nahiri Turbo Fog deck a little bit. Thinking about cutting some of the fog effects for a few Bolts. Not 100% sure yet. When the deck works it sings -- it's impenetrable at times. But sometimes you just don't draw the Nahiri and keep drawing fog effects (read: literal air).

Angry Grimace

Tron report: this is one of those decks where if you hate randomness, this is your deck. You're always gonna get Tron online within a few turns unless you keep a really dire hand.

The problem is that this deck is totally preyed upon by the Fun Police. You will, every once in a while, get matched up with Maindeck Blood Moon Guy™ or something similarly dumb. But a lot of the time you're just dumping rad shit on the battlefield like Ulamogs and Karns.

I just got my first ever chance to cast Sprout Swarm in limited
Card is as insane as advertised. How the hell was this a common?!?

I mean obviously while they were trying to push Future Sight out the door what they had a lot of time for was figuring out if Sprout Swarm was really good or not

hermit7

Just got back from a modern event playing burn.

Matches 1 and 2 I won against Lantern control and dredge.

Match 3 I lost against Gw hate bears. 2-1. First game I did well and won, game 2 I had my lands blown up with arbiter and I couldn't draw another. Game 3 I kept a 1 lander. Probably should have shipped it I guess but kept it anyways.

Match 4 I lost game one to liliana and jund. Won game 2. Game three I lost to my own eidolon. He was at one life and I was at 2. Couldn't cast anything without dying myself so I lost.

ironmang

No GP Charlotte coverage is a bummer. Don't even care that GP LA is being streamed. If they want this game to take the next step you can't have "text coverage" for major tournaments. Nobody reads that shit. They could have even staggered the start of GP LA to increase likelihood that matches were constantly being streamed both days. Missed opportunity.

Tron report: this is one of those decks where if you hate randomness, this is your deck. You're always gonna get Tron online within a few turns unless you keep a really dire hand.

The problem is that this deck is totally preyed upon by the Fun Police. You will, every once in a while, get matched up with Maindeck Blood Moon Guy™ or something similarly dumb. But a lot of the time you're just dumping rad shit on the battlefield like Ulamogs and Karns.

Maindeck Blood Moon Guy™ should be high fived for doing the lord's work. Tron is such a miserable deck to play against and deserves all the hate it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom