• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

I mean obviously while they were trying to push Future Sight out the door what they had a lot of time for was figuring out if Sprout Swarm was really good or not

A lot of it has to do with 2007 being a year a didn't touch a Magic card a single time (I played in the Eventide prerelease in 2008, the Alara Reborn prerelease in 2009 before coming back to Magic for M11), but I'm fascinated with how weird Magic was then.

That Standard retrospective was interesting. I hadn't considered his point about the shift in sideboard cards away from hosing specific colors being due to the fact that it didn't feel right for a card to hose both mono-black control and mono-black aggro.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The best part about MODO is that when someone goes Turn 0 Leyline, turn 2 Chalice, Turn 3 Blood Moon you aren't obligated to keep playing that guy

bigkrev

I cracked a foil Avacyn today. Is now the best time to get rid of it? And does anyone have experience using Pucatrade with cards like this? I want to trade it into lots of DTK cards for modern (Atarka's and Dramoka's Commands).

Also, RT'd by the Magic Twitter
Ci6jTtIWkAEb2AN.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Anything that's a staple in Modern isn't terribly likely to get sent to you unless you are really patient.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I cracked a foil Avacyn today. Is now the best time to get rid of it? And does anyone have experience using Pucatrade with cards like this? I want to trade it into lots of DTK cards for modern (Atarka's and Dramoka's Commands).

Also, RT'd by the Magic Twitter
Ci6jTtIWkAEb2AN.jpg

I would offer you above fair value for the foil Avacyn. I collect Angels because I'm a big ol' Timmy at heart.

f0rk

Had to play mono blue eldrazi at fnm twice, is it an actually deck? I'm still playing Goggles ramp because I can't be bothered to get the cards together for a completely current deck and it's a really easy match up except for Thought Knot Seer and Reality Smasher. Worried about playing against those cards in a proper shell.

GP next week, hopefully I can beat my 3-3 record from every one I've been to even though I don't believe in my deck. Unfortunately I don't believe in my Modern deck either even though it's sweet, previously I've done alright in those side events.

Angry Grimace

Several Future Sight drafts, got destroyed every single time except once I ran UW Fliers because while I had decent decks most of the time (okay I drafted slivers exactly once and that didn't exactly work), my opponents consistently had broken decks or if I had an above average deck, I drew nothing and bombed out.

Like I had a good Thallids deck and drew nothing but lands and a single creature after my opponent game 1 just played 2 prodigal pyromancers immediately and killed everything I had the second I could drop it; also, a total of 1 ticket of value from several drafts. Sprout Swarm doesn't do anything when you have nothing but forests. I hate this game.

Guys, Elementals are the best tribe, bar none. And where's my phoenix tribal?

(Honestly, when they do 5 color EDH Precondition, I'm fully expecting tribal 5 colour to prevent generic good stuff. Stuff like 5c Dragons, 5c Ally's, 5c Humans, 5c Slivers,etc)

Firemind

Several Future Sight drafts, got destroyed every single time except once I ran UW Fliers because while I had decent decks most of the time (okay I drafted slivers exactly once and that didn't exactly work), my opponents consistently had broken decks or if I had an above average deck, I drew nothing and bombed out.

Like I had a good Thallids deck and drew nothing but lands and a single creature after my opponent game 1 just played 2 prodigal pyromancers immediately and killed everything I had the second I could drop it; also, a total of 1 ticket of value from several drafts. Sprout Swarm doesn't do anything when you have nothing but forests. I hate this game.
Were you drunk?

Seriously though, I could have won all my lost games if I did a different line of plays like not suspending Phthithithisisisis when I knew my opponent had Avatar of Woe and Kaervek. I blame the alcohol.

I love Suspend. Might be my favourite limited mechanic ever. Wish it would make a return.

Where are the Enslaves tho? MODO PLS

Angry Grimace

Were you drunk?

Seriously though, I could have won all my lost games if I did a different line of plays like not suspending Phthithithisisisis when I knew my opponent had Avatar of Woe and Kaervek. I blame the alcohol.

I love Suspend. Might be my favourite limited mechanic ever. Wish it would make a return.

Where are the Enslaves tho? MODO PLS

When I drafted 5C Slivers?

Yes, very very much so. Then my opponent was literally the guy who just won the MOCS. He mentioned it in chat. It was weird, I mostly treated it as a comedy draft and just cracked jokes the entire time about how good my slivers were.

bigkrev

I've gone 1-1 in all 3 of my full TSP block drafts. Usually my R1 opponent is basically a drooling idiot (playing cards like Sage of Epytir) and I win without issue, and then my 2nd round opponent who knows what they are doing crushes me.

Lost my last draft because I didn't know Death Rattle couldn't target Green creatures- I assumed it was nonblack like every single piece of removal in the history of magic up till FUT released

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I mean, zombies are the best tribe. I assume everybody is just glossing over that like when talking abou say, who the best wide receiver to ever play the game was. Angels sure are the best of the big tribes though - and always got way better art to boot.

Angry Grimace

lol I kept thinking that I was getting flooded in Sealed League. Then I realized I had 19 lands.

Whoops. Still went 2-1!

So I built a little vampire ally deck to mess around with and I am wondering if bloodbond vampire get 2 counters if I have 2 Kalastria Healers on the field already? Or is it one counter all together?

ultron87

So I built a little vampire ally deck to mess around with and I am wondering if bloodbond vampire get 2 counters if I have 2 Kalastria Healers on the field already? Or is it one counter all together?
You get two counters because you gain one life twice from the healer triggers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Decided to search for Terese Nielsen angels and came across the blog post about Enter the Infinite.

Whenever a new "art assignment" for Magic the Gathering appears in my inbox (or in the old days, my fax) I immediately stop whatever I'm doing and read it. I can't stand the suspense, and need to know immediately what I get to illustrate for the next set. Throughout almost two decades (18 years to be exact) of illustrating for MtG, there has only been a few occasions, in which I get to the end of the description and say, "SERIOUSLY…?!!" "Are you kidding me?!" "I'm an artist not a miracle worker!!" It was one, or maybe all three of these phrases which adhered to my frozen, wide-eyed stare. Please, go ahead and read it and tell me what you think.

Title: [Enter the Infinite]

ART DESCRIPTION:

Color: Blue spell (unguilded)0
Action: Show a close up of a face that has just received all the knowledge in the universe. The expression is that of seeing the immensity of the infinite that both awes and terrifies. It is agony and ecstasy at the same time. At the edges, the face is beginning to fracture into geometric pieces, and the further out from the face that we go, the pieces are turning into all manner of birds, beasts and creatures that wriggle and crawl, flowers, trees, vines and symbolic script. The pieces are spaced more and more apart the further they are from the face as if the face is exploding apart revealing the infinite void.
Focus: The fracturing face.
Mood: Identity dissolved in infinite knowledge.
Notes: Terese, this is a powerful card that lets you draw your entire deck... you can cast anything! Please make it appropriately impressive and dramatic!

No pressure, right? In general, I'm pretty quiet about my approach, especially with pieces like this. Because even to me, the process can sound a bit woo woo. But since many of you asked, I'll attempt to share. Feel free to roll your eyes at any point necessary.
lmao @ "Mood: Identity dissolved in infinite knowledge."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom