• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Wondering if I should preorder a box of these right now at $260 or wait and see if my LGS will give me a better deal. Hmmm...

An-Det

Wow, why do they hate Damnation so much that they are never going to reprint it?

It sucks, but it makes sense to not have it here. It should have been in MMA 1, then it should have been in 2. Hell, they should have had the balls to keep it in the core set instead of pulling it at the last minute. Watch them pull that shit again next year in MMA 3. The only saving grace is that it isn't hugely played, mostly just a one-of sideboard card.

Firemind

It sucks, but it makes sense to not have it here. It should have been in MMA 1, then it should have been in 2. Hell, they should have had the balls to keep it in the core set instead of pulling it at the last minute. Watch them pull that shit again next year in MMA 3. The only saving grace is that it isn't hugely played, mostly just a one-of sideboard card.
I cracked a Damnation online. Was surpised it wasn't even enough to cover the cost of the draft. Control really is dead in Modern.

Edit: also that sneak attack art is hot garbage. gamble is alright.

Glad to see that people are mostly enjoying the spoilers so far. I can't say I'm particularly interested in spoilers of reprint sets, but it's nice to see these older cards.

Daedardus

Some pretty good spoilers, but I hope they don't show the only good stuff the first day and after that nothing. Still hoping for Snapcaster at rare, I've been holding off for now as I'm hoping to pick up copies with a hologram. Same reason why I might have to buy a big Jace now. Magic has become so expensive, ugh :p.

red13th

bcEpSlT.jpg

dude
still at 100% right Mythic guesses so far

yes please ill take 4 mana crypt

except I won't because mythic rares in an underprinted set will probably just go up in value, so ill be relegated to opening them which will perhaps happen once

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Nice, saw Mana Crypt and that tipped me over the edge. Managed to snag a box for $240, which I assume is MSRP. Hopefully this means I can afford to put a Crypt in every one of my EDH decks, but maybe that's wishful thinking!

damage on the stack was awful, one of the best changes to magic.

Damage on the stack was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

I never said it was good for the game. :) It just made it so ridiculous that I miss it.

And believe me, it destroyed me many times in the earliest drafts I ever played. For example, my most frustrating draft moment that involved the stack when I was a youngling was against this card:

Image.ashx

kirblar

Damage on the stack was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.
Reminds me of how kids who grew up on 2003->2010 WWE post-Brand Split often have horrible taste. They wish for all these awful things that weakened the product because they're the only status quo they can remember.

G.ZZZ

Port need a reprint to make D&T actually playable online, not for any other reasons. Legacy MTGO has ports at insane prices because of the set the card was it. Wasteland too, but that was reprinted already and it's rare in EM so it's probably gonna go down a lot.

El Topo

Damage on the stack added little to the game. One of the best changes. I'm saying that as someone who thrives off nostalgia.

Firemind

Nice, saw Mana Crypt and that tipped me over the edge. Managed to snag a box for $240, which I assume is MSRP. Hopefully this means I can afford to put a Crypt in every one of my EDH decks, but maybe that's wishful thinking!
You will get Chrome Mox and you will like it!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The worst part about modern is that almost ever Tier 2 deck is entirely built around rarely assembling an uninteractable board state that's mostly just cute and not necessarily good.

red13th

No stores here in Brazil are selling boxes :(
Last year I preordered a MM2 box from Willy Edel's store, but if they don't have it for sale by now (and they don't) I think I won't be able to get an EMA box.

Maxim726X

Edit 2: Nope, right place.

Okay, me and few buddies are interested in getting back into Magic again after not playing for years (like, 15 years).

So we picked up a few random lots on Ebay, but honestly we weren't even sure it was the best spot to start. Where should we pick up some cards, especially if we get semi-serious again?

And what website for current rules? I can't even imagine how much this shit has changed since I last played... Which I believe was around 4th edition.

Okay, me and few buddies are interested in getting back into Magic again after not playing for years (like, 15 years).

So we picked up a few random lots on Ebay, but honestly we weren't even sure it was the best spot to start. Where should we pick up some cards, especially if we get semi-serious again?

And what website for current rules? I can't even imagine how much this shit has changed since I last played... Which I believe was around 4th edition.

There's a getting started section in the OP. If you want to get cards and build semi-serious decks, then it's best to just buy cards individually from an online store or a local gaming store.

As for rules, if you stopped playing before Sixth Edition, then you missed a bunch of stuff they added then rolled back. But I suppose the big things are:
* Artifacts aren't divided into mono, poly, and continuous. They now explicitly say if you have to tap it to use its ability, etc.
* Artifacts don't "turn off" when they are tapped.
* Mana burn doesn't exist anymore. Unspent mana just goes away.
* No more interrupts. They are all instants now.
* Spells are cast using the stack. When you cast a spell or use an ability, it is put onto the stack, and an opponent has a chance to respond to it with an instant or ability, which is put on top of the stack. Since the opponent's response is on top of the stack, it resolved first, then your original spell or ability.
* There are some term changes. "In play" is now the battlefield. "Removed from the game" is now the exile zone. Spells are cast, abilities are activated.
* There's a new card type, Planeswalker.

Besides that, you could probably just rely on your intuition and doing what the cards say. The core of the game is basically the same.

bigkrev

If 4th edition is actually when you learned to play, it will probably be easier for you to get caught up than if you learned 6th edition rules (1998-2010). The main changes are:
-The Stack: Every game action, apart from playing a land or generating mana, goes on a "stack", and can be responded to by any player with an ability that can be played at instant speed on a card (generally, a card will say if it CAN'T be played as an instant), or an instant. The stack resolves in a "Last in, first out order", and can be added to as individual parts resolve.

example: I cast a spell that deals 3 damage to your 2/2 creature, and put it on the stack. You respond by playing a card that lets you draw 2 cards. I do not add anything to the stack, so your card draw spell resolves. You draw your 2 cards, and you drew an instant that prevents all damage, and play that to the stack. I respond with a spell that counters your spell. The counterspell on top of the stack resolves, countering the card your prevention spell that is below it. Finally, after all this, the damage spell I put on the stack earlier finally resolves, and kills your creature.

There have been some slight terminology changes- "Put onto the battlefield" is the new term for "comes into play", "Exile" is the term for "Remove from Game", and Mana Burn no longer exists.

You always want to buy newer stuff instead of older lots when it comes to Magic. I would have each player buy a $20 deckbuilders toolkit, which comes with a bunch of lands and common/uncommons from recent sets, and a couple of boosters so you can build decks.

Yeef

Uninspiring prediction #2: We'll see Forked Bolt at common. It was originally an uncommon, but got knocked down to common in the Zendikar vs. Eldrazi duel deck. They likely already knew it was getting reprinted as a common in an upcoming set before the duel deck was finalized.

Damage on the stack added little to the game. One of the best changes. I'm saying that as someone who thrives off nostalgia.
As someone who played before damage on the stack was a thing and then came back after it was gone, it always sounds ass-backwards to me.

If you have a good local gaming shop that does Magic, head there. Wizards gives out free sample decks for people to learn (or relearn in your case) the game and the employees can give you the rundown.

If that's not an option, the video game, Magic Duels, is free on PC and iOS ,and a good place to start. Otherwise, youtube is probably your best bet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GadqHggATe8&list=PLE87B5552E725020D

There's exactly one place for damage, and that's on the stack. Anywhere else is completely and utterly unacceptable. Anyone who disagrees shoud not be allowed in the same universe as the game of Magic the Gathering.

traveler

Not Wario
Spoilers are looking great thus far. Still waiting on the Death and Taxes spoilers, though, as that's the main draw of this set to me. Are Karakas and Port too much to hope for on top of what we have already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom