• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
5dfM42F.jpg

This really needed a reprint.

I'm worried these 'reprints' have nearly zero impact on the market a la Modern Masters.

Some seem super fun, but others seems volatile...

EDIT: Welp, that's a double post :( sorry...

ironmang

Entomb is a decent reprint but it's definitely not prohibitively expensive as is. Port, Karakas, and Imperial Recruiter are the types of cards that really need to be in this set.

And Control Magic? Really? If they're going to reprint basically an EDH only card with that kind of effect they should have gone with Bribery.

Firemind

Control Magic is much better in limited though. Also Terese Nielsen painted a dragon. :lol

And is Worldgorger Dragon seriously the only card revealed so far that doesn't have new art? Are you fucking trolling me Wizards? It's mythic and the old art is several levels of terribad.

Firemind

Necropotence? Okay, that one had alternative art a while ago. Toxic Deluge? Deathrite Shaman?
Yeah but those two are from the modern age. It just seems lazy to take the old art and put it into the modern frame. But i'm talking as someone who collects dragons so maybe i'm too invested in this.

ironmang

Control Magic is much better in limited though. Also Terese Nielsen painted a dragon. :lol

Bribery is a fine enough card in limited considering you see their entire deck minus their hand and take the best creature still within. It's also not a bulk rare in $10+ packs. Just getting the feeling they're going to leave out a lot of cards that actually need reprints for bulk rares like they did in MM1 and 2.

Having a finely tuned limited experience for sets like this is overrated. Most people will draft it a couple times if that.

Firemind

Bribery is awful in cube and there you have the best creatures in the game. It just doesn't affect the board quite like Control Magic type cards. I will give you that they could have printed Treachery instead, which is a better card both in limited and EDH.

ironmang

Bribery is awful in cube and there you have the best creatures in the game. It just doesn't affect the board quite like Control Magic type cards. I will give you that they could have printed Treachery instead, which is a better card both in limited and EDH.

I never said Bribery was better, I said it was a fine enough card. Being better isn't necessarily a good thing either. Pack Rat is better than both and that was an awful experience. You're underestimating knowing nearly the entire contents of your opponents deck too. Just don't like that they put so many bulk rares in these sets.

Treachery is reserve listed.

red13th

Vamp Tutor is the first Mythic I got wrong. I said Imperial Seal instead, but then again I didn't expect that much value in about every rare slot so far. :p
This set is completely bonkers.
New Control Magic art is GORGEOUS. Another insta-swap, I have Jace's Control Magic in my cube and Terese Nielsen >>>>>>>>>>>>> Jace.

EDIT: Also DAMN at that Seb McKinnon Entomb!! I LOVE THIS SET.

red13th

Treachery is one of the few important non-powered cube cards that can't be reprinted, besides duals (*sob*), Survival of the Fittest and Recurring Nightmare.
Others include Wheel of Fortune, Volrath's Stronghold, Rofellos and Gaea's Cradle.
And Damnation, I suppose?

Its just personal preference I guess. It just feels like a rare effect to me. Force feels mythic due to its history and reputation.

Force is mythic because it is an absolutely insane card that should never have been uncommon. And yes, because of history and reputation. But moreso the former reason.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It is super annoying that Tarmogoyf got mythic because of it's reputation, but at least Force of Will makes sense at that rarity. It's not flavorfully mythic, but its effect sure is. Free counter? Yeah, that's mythic.

Tamogoyf at mythic was straight up WotC telling people wanting to play green modern decks to go fuck themselves though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Entomb is a decent reprint but it's definitely not prohibitively expensive as is. Port, Karakas, and Imperial Recruiter are the types of cards that really need to be in this set.

And Control Magic? Really? If they're going to reprint basically an EDH only card with that kind of effect they should have gone with Bribery.
I think they were avoiding Modern legal cards if they could.

I mean, not that many people to this day are aware Bribery is a Modern-legal card.

ironmang

I think they were avoiding Modern legal cards if they could.

I mean, not that many people to this day are aware Bribery is a Modern-legal card.

We're getting Goblin Charbelcher so it can't be only not modern legal cards. I thought someone from wotc said they were avoiding printing modern staples. Like printing Painter's Servant instead of Horizon Canopy is something we'd expect. I could be misremembering the quote though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
en_H5wUclVmHl.png

of course here we go so much for that SO MUCH VALUE!!!

Angry Grimace

We're getting Goblin Charbelcher so it can't be only not modern legal cards. I thought someone from wotc said they were avoiding printing modern staples. Like printing Painter's Servant instead of Horizon Canopy is something we'd expect. I could be misremembering the quote though.

I'm not saying its a Modern only VMA-like set, I'm just saying if they had an option they'd probably pick the non-Modern legal one.

ultron87

I had never noticed before that the old art for Wirewood Symbiote was a thing on an elf's head. Just thought it was a weird bug thing. Admittedly I only ever saw it from across the table.

New art:

en_wAsPz5s76y.png

Since elves is a thing hopefully Heritage Druid is in there too.

ironmang

Traded for a Top yesterday too haha. Got it and a Secure the Wastes I actually needed for my Nahiri though so I'm not too unhappy about it.

My old-school brain just has trouble fully understanding that Balance is the bulk mythic here, lol.

Love the Entomb art. Obviously there's some variation in total value but we're not seeing the MMA2 effect yet, so far the bulky stuff is still on-theme and moderately sensible. Also I too am sad that Treachery is reserved.

Is there any specific high demand thing we're looking for in the uncommons, the way we were hoping for Path (lol) and Serum Visions (lol) in MMA2?

Angry Grimace

Gonna laugh if Glimpse of Nature is a Mythic.

My old-school brain just has trouble fully understanding that Balance is the bulk mythic here, lol.

Love the Entomb art. Obviously there's some variation in total value but we're not seeing the MMA2 effect yet, so far the bulky stuff is still on-theme and moderately sensible. Also I too am sad that Treachery is reserved.

Is there any specific high demand thing we're looking for in the uncommons, the way we were hoping for Path (lol) and Serum Visions (lol) in MMA2?

Well, I mean Swords to Plowshares and Counterspell. They're not as in demand, but they go in every EDH deck ever.

I doubt Counterbalance will be in at uncommon if its in (it should be).

ironmang

Counterbalance. Ancient Tomb too if that counts.

bigkrev

CjOwGeaW0AA7UDv.jpg

How DARE they change one of the greatest flavor texts of all time
(also, if Elves is a theme in this set, this is kind of strange to show up)

bigkrev

No issues with Mythic Karakas. I think that's the most expensive card they have shown so far?
EDIT: Second most expensive, after Mana Crypt. I think Mana Crypt is more a product of heavy supply constrain (having only existed in promo form), and that this printing is going to cut it's price in half

Mishra's Factory is in at Uncommon
CjOxqYrVEAAB0WA.jpg

Angry Grimace

It's funny to me that Karakas is a legal card to reprint but Tabernacle is on the arbitrary list of "we can't reprint this" cards.

Angry Grimace

Tabernacle is Reserved list, Karakas was an Uncommon and thus never on the reserved list

My point being that the list was always completely arbitrary at the time based on what they decided to reprint in white border (and white border sets were fucking gigantic at the time).

ironmang

So based on mythics already spoiled we'll probably see Show and Tell and Rishadan Port at rare if they show up. Imperial Recruiter too but I'm seriously doubting they'll print a $220+ card at rare.

One elf draft card that was missed:
en_GciNpTgA6o.png

Seeing a land like Karakas at mythic is weird from its effect, but I understand if it's because it's super expensive.

It's a shame that Werebear's flavor text was changed, but yeah, "the right to bear arms" might be seen as too political right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom