• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

Nice, finally a modern-frame non-foil Maze of Ith!
My cube is really happy with today's spoilers. Three additions so far (Sneak Attack, Sylvan Library and Maze of Ith), plus two art-related replacements (Chrome Mox and Daze).
I'm hoping for a Fireblast reprint with the Vintage Masters artwork!
(plus, of course, Animate Dead and Hymn to Tourach - gimme those two and I'll be happy forever)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Spoilers are looking great thus far. Still waiting on the Death and Taxes spoilers, though, as that's the main draw of this set to me. Are Karakas and Port too much to hope for on top of what we have already?

With Masters, the only limit is your imagination.

...and the reserved list. Which Vangu Vegro probably supports.

y2dvd

I got a box for MM2 and got such shit value from it that I vowed never to buy a box again. I'll just do a few drafts and events and cry as my wallet drains.

Crocodile

Where are the commons and uncommons! *pouts*

I know why they aren't shown yet but those will probably be the cards the determine if the set is a hit or not

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They haven't spoiled all the rares yet.

In fact they've spoiled like 15 cards

Willing to bet people are going to be saying "this set sucks" by Thursday when you realize most of the cards are worth shit. In MMA2 all of the Mythics were expensive other than Comet Storm but the set still managed to be worth dick.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If Batterskull and Jitte are both in, I assume Jitte gets the mythic slot due to the limited impact.

I doubt Batterskull is in anyways. It seems like a pretty lame choice at least.

red13th

MaRo said they won't reprint powerful Modern-legal cards so I'd say Batterskull is out. SFM will have to work with Jitte/Bonesplitter/whatever.

Cards were allowed from Modern-legal sets, but the design team leaned away from powerful Modern cards, leaving those for future Modern Masters sets and instead focusing on cards that either played well in Eternal formats or worked well with the old-school archetypes the draft was built around.

jph139

I'm really curious what the draft archetypes they'll be going for. Maro says the original plan for WU was Sleight Knight, which is the sort of funky old-school nonsense I want to see.

Firemind

Not sure what I want out of this. It's clear that the mythics won't tank prices. The modern card frame is also ugly as sin. I guess I just want a better limited format than what we got with VMA.

Take a closer look at the art for Goblin Charbelcher.
635995949925186416.jpg

It's shooting out a Black Lotus and a Bird of Paradise, among other things I can't recognize, and there's a Ratchet Bomb laying to the side of the goblin.

Angry Grimace

That's not a Bird of Paradise, it's a Storm Crow and a carrot. No, really look at it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Seems reasonable for blue

CjFUwqcUYAAMWD4.jpg

the way that i looked at this card and thought, 'wow besides the fact that sorcery speed makes it worthless, this is actually not half bad for a potato computer roborosewater'

and then i saw the manacost and laughed so hard i practically farted

the way that i looked at this card and thought, 'wow besides the fact that sorcery speed makes it worthless, this is actually not half bad for a potato computer roborosewater'

and then i saw the manacost and laughed so hard i practically farted
There are some CMC-based combos with that card that are actually pretty good (by Johnny standards).

red13th

Yeah if they have Gamble and Enlightened there's no way they're leaving the others out. IMO.

I liked the old flavour text better. "I do not teach, I simply reveal"
New art is better though.

noquarter

Yeah if they have Gamble and Enlightened there's no way they're leaving the others out. IMO.

I liked the old flavour text better. "I do not teach, I simply reveal"
New art is better though.

That probably means Mystical, Wordly and Vampiric at rare too.

Or do we get really lucky and get Sylvan Tutor (hopefully at least this over Wordly) and... Imperial Seal! Mystical, whatever. It fits I suppose.

There is no way we are getting Imperial Seal at rare, wouldn't be surprised if we didn't even get it at Mythic, ever

Joe Molotov

Looking back at some of the RoboRosewater cards from the last week, I think this is the first one I've seen that made me literally break out into cold sweats.

w6L8TFl.jpg

bigkrev

At least the bulk dragon mythic is an actual Vintage playable

Also, Vampiric Tutor is, in my mind, one of the iconic pieces of Magic art. The fact that they didn't change it on any of the promos stands out to me, and I hate that they gave it crappy new art for this set

Also, Vampiric Tutor is, in my mind, on of the iconic pieces of Magic art. The fact that they didn't change it on any of the promos stands out to me, and I hate that they gave it crappy new art for this set

bonus points for trepanation, though

Angry Grimace

Vampiric is a mythic? C'mon haha

Force of Will is a mythic, how can you be surprised?

Also, Vampiric Tutor is, in my mind, one of the iconic pieces of Magic art. The fact that they didn't change it on any of the promos stands out to me, and I hate that they gave it crappy new art for this set

Slash Panther was Vintage playable for a while; Monastery Mentor is one of the most game-breakingly powerful cards in that format. "Vintage playable" is one of those terms that has a deceptive meaning.

I'm still baffled Mentor was never good in Standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom