• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

Got Karakas and Balance right, Dack Fayden wrong. I'm so good at predicting (obvious) mythics! heh.

Also, the UB draft archetype is Reanimator, so I'm looking forward to Psychatog as the UB draft uncommon. Plus they HAVE to reprint Animate Dead if they have a reanimator archetype and Worldgorger Dragon in the set, come on!

Son1x

No issues with Mythic Karakas. I think that's the most expensive card they have shown so far?
EDIT: Second most expensive, after Mana Crypt. I think Mana Crypt is more a product of heavy supply constrain (having only existed in promo form), and that this printing is going to cut it's price in half
Mana Crypt is like 30 euros cheaper than Karakas on MCM (English cards)

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Would have much rather seen Mana Drain than Karakas (just because that card needs its price to drop way more), but I am still loving all the value in this set. My friends and I are gonna draft the box I bought and it should be pretty awesome.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I find it just so adorable that the official set of spoilers (Elves) on the mothership spend the whole article talking about the limited implications of the cards. Stop playing, you know damn well why people are excited about a set with Force of Will and Karakas and it ain't the limited environment.

For those tracking this, by the way, SaffronOlive's article a few months ago "predicting" mythics for EMA was based around the idea that a garbage set no one likes is desirable for some reason and had the average mythic value cap out at $40 on the absolute high end. As of today, we know 11 mythics from the set, and taking reported paper prices on MTGGoldfish from today, the average mythic value in this set would be $41 even if the remaining four mythics are all worth zero.

My point being that the list was always completely arbitrary at the time based on what they decided to reprint in white border (and white border sets were fucking gigantic at the time).

Thunder Spirit is on the list, literally everyone who was around when they first released it knew it was incredibly stupid and arbitrary from the first moment.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
CjPHDZ9VAAA2GAC.jpg:large

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's like regeneration in that a very straightforward concept is difficult to express with the rules of Magic and zones and whatnot.

Yeef

Also, Animate Dead being in means you can combo off with Worldgorger Dragon. Just need something to dump all the mana into.

It's never not had convoluted rules text. In order for it to do what it does and actually work, it has to be worded as it is now.

I guess the old one just made more sense to me as a player, since the beginning of time:

4eaeda87de4068c061d4e991c739ca75.jpg

I do understand how this wording does not work as intended though, when interpreted explicitly through the magic rules set and not english.

red13th

You target a card in the GY, but you bring it back so it can't have "enchant card in a GY" or else it would fall off since the enchanted creature would no longer be in a GY. So it has the weird "loses enchant creature card in a GY".

I'm so so so so happy. This is the best set ever. Give me Hymn to Tourach and Chain Lightning now!

ultron87

It'd work perfectly if the original card was "when Animate Dead comes into play..." but since it targets on cast it has to be an aura the whole time.

red13th

This would make it work like O-ring, right? They should've done that instead.

I don't think it would work like O-Ring since you could kill the enchantment before the triggered ability resolves and the creature would remain in play. You would have to add more weird text to remove that funcionality.

Yeef

I guess the old one just made more sense to me as a player, since the beginning of time:

4eaeda87de4068c061d4e991c739ca75.jpg

I do understand how this wording does not work as intended though, when interpreted explicitly through the magic rules set and not english.
That's actually the 5th edition version where they briefly made it stop being an aura as a way to try and get around the rules issues that caused. Even then, it reads super convolutedly. The older versions were always auras with "Enchant Dead Creature."

2.jpg

Something that would work today and read much more clearly would be something like this:

Bring It Back 1B
Enchantment
When ~ enters the battlefield, return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield until ~ leaves the battlefield.

ultron87

I don't think it would work like O-Ring since you could kill the enchantment before the triggered ability resolves and the creature would remain in play. You would have to add more weird text to remove that funcionality.

On further research, I think Necromancy's Oracle text is what happens when you try to do it that way. So I guess that doesn't exactly work either. Haha.

WanderingWind

WotC really needs to work on its red rares and mythics. Imagine sitting next to the dude who opens a Karakas and you get fucking Dualcaster Mage. Just stop pushing these cards, WotC. You fucked up Snapcaster. Stop taking it out on us.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
enchant dead creature would fall off the enchanted creature once it's in play and you'dhave to sacrifice it IIRC.

The entirety of the problem comes from its need to be an Aura off of the battlefield. If it were printed today it would use this templating:

gHWlBpK.png

That's the templating they used on the "-Form" auras in Fate Reforged that would cause you to manifest a card then attach the enchantment to it with some effect.

The entirety of the problem comes from its need to be an Aura off of the battlefield. If it were printed today it would probably use this templating:

Animate Dead 1B
Enchantment

When Animate Dead enters the battlefield, it becomes an Aura with enchant creature. Return target creature from your graveyard to the battlefield and attach Animate Dead to it.

Enchanted creature gets -1/-0. If Animate Dead would leave the battlefield, sacrifice enchanted creature.

Of course but in magic those are very different cards.

WanderingWind

"This card is not good."
"It is in EDH/Cube/Pauper/Tiny Leaders/Elderberry Highlander"

EDH players are the vapers of the MtG world, I swear.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Of course but in magic those are very different cards.
No they aren't.

They're identical in function other than whether its an aura off the battlefield, which has almost no actual impact on the game outside of cards that specifically interact with Auras and not enchantments generally.

Amazed the text fit. Though I guess they printed it with that text once before.

Technically you can fit even more text once you've already decided to break the rules on text size!

The entirety of the problem comes from its need to be an Aura off of the battlefield. If it were printed today it would use this templating

Yep, much like the "play it as an instant" effect on the Mirage instant-enchantments like Necromancy, it's pretty easy to write this general effect if you set out to do it from scratch with modern templating, but very difficult to avoid functional changes to older versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom