• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The funny part about the new Animate Dead to me is that there so much text I think its almost non-obvious what the card is supposed to be doing, whereas the Alpha text was always very obvious in what it does.

The funny part about the new Animate Dead to me is that there so much text I think its almost non-obvious what the card is supposed to be doing, whereas the Alpha text was always very obvious in what it does.

Yeah, most of the really tortured templates for old cards are for things like this where there's a clear intuition for how they should work but that intuition is hard to translate to the existing rules. See also: Camouflage, Word of Command, etc.

Yeef

"This card is not good."
"It is in EDH/Cube/Pauper/Tiny Leaders/Elderberry Highlander"

EDH players are the vapers of the MtG world, I swear.
I don't play EDH, but I've seen it played successfully in that format. I play limited far more than I play constructed (I really only play constructed for Game Day and the random pick-up game here or there). I'd also argue that there are likely far more people who play EDH regularly than Legacy and Vintage, so painting them as the minority is a bit disingenuous.

I do agree that Dualcaster Mage would be fine at uncommon though (and probably should have been there), but it's certainly not a bad card.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't play EDH, but I've seen it played successfully in that format. I play limited far more than I play constructed (I really only play constructed for Game Day and the random pick-up game here or there). I'd also argue that there are likely far more people who play EDH regularly than Legacy and Vintage, so painting them as the minority is a bit disingenuous.

I do agree that Dualcaster Mage would be fine at uncommon though (and probably should have been there), but it's certainly not a bad card.

Nobody said anything about EDH being a minority.

The point is that any card can be called good in a format that exists so players can use whatever they'd like for funsies and which doesn't have any way to measure quality. It's sort of a pointless thing to say and it's said after every single bad card is spoiled/talked about. Which is fine. EDH is neato. Just know that when folks are talking about a card being good or not, they're probably not talking about your personal kitchen table brews.

I mean, if we're doing that then Mortarpod is the best equipment of all time because it rocks in my funsie brews.

"This card is not good."
"It is in EDH/Cube/Pauper/Tiny Leaders/Elderberry Highlander"

EDH players are the vapers of the MtG world, I swear.

The EDH effect on cards sometimes makes me very negative about Magic. I was legit scared and upset when Tiny Leaders was being talked about and reading about Pauper in paper hasn't helped, either.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I like Dualcaster Mage in EDH. IDK I just play "cards I own" in EDH though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The EDH effect on cards sometimes makes me very negative about Magic. I was legit scared and upset when Tiny Leaders was being talked about and reading about Pauper in paper hasn't helped, either.

Tiny Leaders was a naked attempt at trying to manipulate the playerbase for financial gain. I'm glad it failed. But if it had taken off, that's not on the players. It's great when players keep organically inventing new ways to enjoy the game after WotC has forgotten about XYZ set/card/mechanic.

Stuff like EMA is them actually acknowledging that secondary prices have gotten stupid. They're still timid when it comes to easing up the release valve, but hell, this is something. VMA was something. MM1 was something, MM2 was ... I don't know what they hell they were thinking.

Yeef

Nobody said anything about EDH being a minority.
Not sure what you meant by "EDH players are the vapers of the MtG world, I swear." then. I generally associate vapers with being an almost evangelical minority in the same vein as most people view vegans. Maybe I just misunderstood.

The point is that any card can be called good in a format that exists so players can use whatever they'd like for funsies and which doesn't have any way to measure quality.
I feel we've had this conversation before, but EDH isn't just casual-only even if that's the way most people choose to play it. There are very competitive EDH decks just like there are casual Legacy decks. I've seen plenty of degenerate EDH decks that can win consistently in the first 3 turns.
It's sort of a pointless thing to say and it's said after every single bad card is spoiled/talked about.
Pointless to express an opinion. Got it.

As a reminder this was all I said:
Dualcaster Mage is an awesome card.

Which is fine. EDH is neato. Just know that when folks are talking about a card being good or not, they're probably not talking about your personal kitchen table brews.
Except, I said that it's a good limited card, not good for constructed. In this format, it's probably not first-pickable, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up as a solid 4th or 5th pick depending on how the rest of the set looks.

The point is that any card can be called good in a format that exists so players can use whatever they'd like for funsies and which doesn't have any way to measure quality.

None of those formats you listed are this though. There are plenty of cards that are bad in cube or pauper or commander, as people will happily expound to you at length if you go to a place where people who play those things congregate. "Good in commander?!" in response to every unplayable garbage card is a meme to make fun of idiots at MTGS more than any kind of real attempt at card evaluation.

(FWIW, Dualcaster Mage is a perfectly fine if unexciting role-player in Commander.)

What red rares any mythics would people like to see?

That's really kind of it, since we already have Sneak Attack, there are no other serious contenders for red that are worth mythic status for any reason besides "was horrifically underprinted."

Yeef

A red rare I'd actually like to see reprinted is Sudden Demise, but I think I'd rather see it printed into Modern.

Angry Grimace

None of those formats you listed are this though. There are plenty of cards that are bad in cube or pauper or commander, as people will happily expound to you at length if you go to a place where people who play those things congregate. "Good in commander?!" in response to every unplayable garbage card is a meme to make fun of idiots at MTGS more than any kind of real attempt at card evaluation.

(FWIW, Dualcaster Mage is a perfectly fine if unexciting role-player in Commander.)

That's really kind of it, since we already have Sneak Attack, there are no other serious contenders for red that are worth mythic status for any reason besides "was horrifically underprinted."

That's because the playable part of red in legacy/eternal formats are utility cards like Lightning Bolt and sure, you can play 100% red, but that's because those are linear decks that just string together utility cards to equal a win. The problem is that Mythic as a concept fits red poorly, not that red is bad.

I mean, for gameplay/limited purposes, they could have gone with Goblin Recruiter if they wanted a busted red permanent that could probably manage to be busted in limited also.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That's because the playable part of red in legacy/eternal formats are utility cards like Lightning Bolt and sure, you can play 100% red, but that's because those are linear decks that just string together utility cards to equal a win.

The problem is that Mythic as a concept fits red poorly, not that red is bad.

I was sort of thinking the same thing when I asked what rares people were interested in. Red has never really been a color defined by its rares

Firemind

Image.ashx

(whoops we banned it. sorry.)

G.ZZZ

Red could easily have planeswalkers at mythic, or wild-fire type effects, or things like tutoring and cheating artifacts. Even effects like a dank-dwellers, past in flame, or a playable wheel variant.

WotC is just extremely prejudiced toward red.

Red could easily have planeswalkers at mythic, or wild-fire type effects, or things like tutoring and cheating artifacts. Even effects like a dank-dwellers, past in flame, or a playable wheel variant.

WotC is just extremely prejudiced toward red.
Yep. I actually think Red's slice of the color pie is pretty decent, its effects just haven't been pushed as often. This will always be glaringly obvious with best-of sets like this where much of the excitement is pegged to a card's market value.

Crocodile

*WOTC hates Red*

*Red has been a constructed fixture for years up until this standard season and some of the most played cards in Modern & Legacy are Red*

These statements can't both be true. The issue, as has been stated, is that the "power" Red cards are things like Lightning Bolt and Stoke the Flames. That's probably better for the affordability and health of the game - it just means the high tier pool of reprint options is limited in sets like these.

Ashodin

Red SUCKS hard in Standard. No burn is good, no effects are worth playing, everything that is red has another color attached (Kolaghan's Command, Atarka's Command).

The color just flat out sucks. Blue is up there.

White/Green/Black are the best colors atm.

Firemind

*WOTC hates Red*

*Red has been a constructed fixture for years up until this standard season and some of the most played cards in Modern & Legacy are Red*

These statements can't both be true. The issue, as has been stated, is that the "power" Red cards are things like Lightning Bolt and Stoke the Flames. That's probably better for the affordability and health of the game - it just means the high tier pool of reprint options is limited in sets like these.
huh?

Angry Grimace

The actual answer is that Mythic as a rarity makes no goddamn sense in a Masters set.

Draw three cards, then put two cards from your hand on top of your library in any order.

that's a common, I'm talking mythic. Something exciting.

Thieving Hobbitses U

Sorcery

As an additional cost to cast NAME pay 3 life
Look at target opponent's hand, you may choose and instant or sorcery card from among them and exile it. You may cast the exiled card with mana of any kind until end of game.

That's not a cantrip but broken enough to be mythic.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204556230]The trick is probably just to use wording that's reserved for the higher rarities.[/QUOTE]

Interesting take, the card modern needs against jund, nahiri and tron.

Angry Grimace

preview of my video

Gonna laugh when someone animates a Worldgorger in EMA draft and breaks MODO because they thought it was a funny idea to put them all in the same set.

(The point of Worldgorger is to use Animate Dead on it to get infinite mana and then win the game with some kind of instant speed fireball. If you don't have anything else in your yard to animate the game ends in a draw.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom