• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

I loved me some Nevinyrral's Disk back in the day, but it's kinda less exciting since they've printed Perilous Vault and Oblivion Stone.

Since no image was posted yet,
nevinyrralsdisk.jpg

ironmang

It's nice to not see an unnecessary rarity bump on therapy like we saw with Vial which used to be a $15 card and probably still would be if they kept it at uncommon in MMA.

It's nice to not see an unnecessary rarity bump on therapy like we saw with Vial which used to be a $15 card and probably still would be if they kept it at uncommon in MMA.

I'm just hoping Vial gets reprinted in EMA, considering it's more used in Legacy then Modern IIRC. Even a reprint would knock the price down a little bit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Prefer the duel deck art for Counterspell but fucking finally we get a cheap Counterspell with decent art.

I like the no text a LOT.

The original ABU ones are like that too but a black bordered counterspell is like 300 dollars.

OnPoint

Does anyone play Cunning Wish anywhere nowadays? I'm only aware of Burning Wish being a meaningful Eternal card.

I had it in an Aluren deck I was building before the Aluren deck that showed up around a year ago kinda stopped me in my tracks.

So no. Probably not.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I am really bad at Time Spiral.

I've lost almost literally every game and played like 5 times. Every time I identify an open strategy or pick good cards from a specific strategy, someone else just moves in and cuts off all of those cards and then my deck sucks.

I always used the Ice Age art for counterspell back when I played Miracles because that's one of the sets back from when I started playing. I had a revised Starter deck, but the first pack I ever opened was from Ice Age.

I remember Essense Vortex being a little too saucy for my young brain.

image21sg8.jpg

Probably some vestigal effect in my subconcious that still causes me to play UB decks in every format.

In fact, there's only two times in my life that I ever entered a sanctioned tournament without a UB deck. Once at a local Legacy tournament when I played Miracles before I swapped to Reanimator, and the time I cashed an SCG open with Abzan Whip. Even my Modern bogles deck splashed blue and black cards. The first sanctioned tournament I ever entered was with UB mill, and I'm currently playing a Sultai Eldrazi deck.

ironmang

Does anyone play Cunning Wish anywhere nowadays? I'm only aware of Burning Wish being a meaningful Eternal card.

It was big in the omnitell deck that was a top deck while dig was legal. It's still played in that deck even though it's much less popular now. Also played in high tide which is a known deck even if it too isn't very popular.

Firemind

I am really bad at Time Spiral.

I've lost almost literally every game and played like 5 times. Every time I identify an open strategy or pick good cards from a specific strategy, someone else just moves in and cuts off all of those cards and then my deck sucks.
There's no real strategy for Time Spiral drafts beyond picking playable cards in your colours. Like, most of the suspend and morph cards are playable to a degree. Synergy is important, but you shouldn't go out of your way to pick up rebels since the only rebels that matter are Amrou Scout and Blightspeaker.

Time Spiral is a format where the classic rule applies: bombs > removal > creatures. Flowstone Embrace seems to wheel a lot more than I remember. I wonder if people miss the fact that it's removal. Also I have not seen a single Firemaw Kavu. I want to go big with Momentary Blink.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204598767]I always used the Ice Age art for counterspell back when I played Miracles because that's one of the sets back from when I started playing. I had a revised Starter deck, but the first pack I ever opened was from Ice Age.

I remember Essense Vortex being a little too saucy for my young brain.

image21sg8.jpg

Probably some vestigal effect in my subconcious that still causes me to play UB decks in every format.

In fact, there's only two times in my life that I ever entered a sanctioned tournament without a UB deck. Once at a local Legacy tournament when I played Miracles before I swapped to Reanimator, and the time I cashed an SCG open with Abzan Whip. Even my Modern bogles deck splashed blue and black cards. The first sanctioned tournament I ever entered was with UB mill, and I'm currently playing a Sultai Eldrazi deck.[/QUOTE]

Play Faeries at your next Modern event, obviously

It's funny that I had that big rant about card advantage and opportunity cost related to how bad of a card Demonic Pact is, then Reid Duke puts up an Abzan Pact playlist on CFB and the card is just horrendous the entire time.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204601590]It's funny that I had that big rant about card advantage and opportunity cost related to how bad of a card Demonic Pact is, then Reid Duke puts up an Abzan Pact playlist on CFB and the card is just horrendous the entire time.[/QUOTE]

Sort of how like Arlin Kord in the new (awesome) Naya Superfriends deck has done exactly dick in every stream from SaffronOlive and the other streamers who picked it up. It's very often just a dead card. It's a bad card right now.

I don't follow him, but isn't SaffronOlive just a kooky brew/budget alternative guy for casual diversions? I've read a few people say he's filling the hole from when Travis Woo got banished.

It's a shame, because Travis Woo was actually one of CFB's better limited players and I was a big fan of his drafts. I'm even less excited about Neal Oliver after watching his last playlist, and seeing his videos used to pump me up. Ben Stark is a monster, but he has exactly one video so far. So that means it's pretty much just LSV.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204602778]I don't follow him, but isn't SaffronOlive just a kooky brew/budget alternative guy for casual diversions? I've read a few people say he's filling the hole from when Travis Woo got banished.

It's a shame, because Travis Woo was actually one of CFB's better limited players and I was a big fan of his drafts. I'm even less excited about Neal Oliver after watching his last playlist, and seeing his videos used to pump me up. Ben Stark is a monster, but he has exactly one video so far. So that means it's pretty much just LSV.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but he accidentally brewed up a competitive deck that others have tried out previously. I don't know if he invented the deck or whatever, but other streamers have been trying out some variation of it. I haven't sleeved it up, personally, so I can't vouch for it with facts and figure, but it looks solid. Except Arlinn.

I can't speak to limited streamers or recorders though. I can't stand watching limited. I only used to watch them when I was able to play in stores, so I could try to figure out how to suck less. Numot is entertaining though.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204602778]I don't follow him, but isn't SaffronOlive just a kooky brew/budget alternative guy for casual diversions? I've read a few people say he's filling the hole from when Travis Woo got banished.

It's a shame, because Travis Woo was actually one of CFB's better limited players and I was a big fan of his drafts. I'm even less excited about Neal Oliver after watching his last playlist, and seeing his videos used to pump me up. Ben Stark is a monster, but he has exactly one video so far. So that means it's pretty much just LSV.[/QUOTE]

His Mono-Blue Brains deck is actually a lot of fun to play and the Naya Superfriends deck does not seem bad at all. He's going to miss more often than not in the name of fun, but sometimes deck builders like this strike gold.

El Topo

What is this nonsense! Don't insult Rebecca like that!

New art doesn't invalidate old art. I would have loved to see someone take a new approach at it, even if the original art is great. On the other hand, if I look at the art for Nevinyrral's Disk, maybe it's good they stuck with the old art.

His Mono-Blue Brains deck is actually a lot of fun to play and the Naya Superfriends deck does not seem bad at all. He's going to miss more often than not in the name of fun, but sometimes deck builders like this strike gold.

He picked up the mono-U list during an against the odds, he brew his own and popularized it with his budget video though.

OnPoint

He picked up the mono-U list during an against the odds, he brew his own and popularized it with his budget video though.

Well, whatever the source of the deck you're right about that last part, which was largely my point: Often times he plays jank, but sometimes he strikes gold. It's worth at least looking at what he's up to, if only to see if it has a chance to catch on.

Yeef

Could that be leftover art from khans set that they had to fit somewhere?
I doubt it. It looks buff like an Atarka dragon, has 4 wings, like a MarduKolaghan dragon and a snake-like body like an Ojutai dragon. It doesn't fit the style guide for any one clan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom