• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magic Story - The Prodigal Sorcerers - New art Prodigal Sorcerer teams up with original art Prodigal Sorcerer (Tim)
* The way Prodigal Sorcerer deals damage is through force pushes.
* Kellan (new PS) is on his way to Tolarian Academy on a ship, when its attacked by pirates. Soon everyone on the ship is dead but him and Enthril (Tim), the ship's mage.
* Kellan's pinging is weak, but Enthril's is strong, despite the latter's injuries. Enthril explains that he won't find proper spellcasting in books, and that he has to learn to understand magic and ask it to act instead of commanding it.
* The pirates attack again, and Kellan is able to properly ping this time. However, it's too late, and they get stuck in a dangerous region of sea that the pirates avoid.
* The weather started getting rough, and the tiny ship was tossed.
* Having lost his spellbooks and with them on the back of a kraken, Kellan starts to truly understand magic and is amazed. Enthril casts a huge spell that engulfs them all in light.
* Later, Kellan wakes up on a skyship, with nothing left of Enthril but his ring. It appears to be a ship he constructed with the last of his magic. Kellan allows the wind to direct the ship, and it's going neither toward Tolarian Academy nor toward his home in the Spice Isles, and he's okay with that. And thus he became a Prodigal Sorcerer.

I don't believe this was posted here:

ashnodsaltar.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Uncharted Realms

A prodigal sorcerer named Tim tries to find the Tolarian Academy, finds out its both banned and reserved, and is sad. Then he dies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204634296]I just don't have any real interest in the eternal formats so there's not a lot of incentive for me to draft it.[/QUOTE]

Just win boxes like you normally do

How does one spot the difference?

If it's written as a line on its own or with other keywords and no period, it's a regular keyword. If it's written as part of a paragraph or has a period after it, it's a keyword action. (Note that all scry cards nowadays write it out like a sentence, "Scry 1.")

I mean I don't think its unreasonable to have been afraid this would be another MM15 before release. I mean it still technically could be if everything revealed from now on is jank :p

I'm more making fun of the people (SaffronOlive again, cough) who went on the "but don't worry only bad cards will be spoiled from here!!" train after day one.

I wonder how disappointed folks will be opening non-foil Shardless Agent or Maelstrom Wanderer when they realize they're also being reprinted in Planechase Anthology.

I think there will actually be more total copies printed in EMA than in the Planechase anthology.

He should have been Dracula but he's more like Alucard.

Who doesn't like Alucard?!

Bandini

Well Eternal Masters box prices are already getting ridiculous, if you can even find them. Hopefully they actually print a decent amount of it and the prices stabilize a bit after release, otherwise I guess I'm just buying singles.

Jhriad

I think there will actually be more total copies printed in EMA than in the Planechase anthology.
Of course, but it's still an additional printing of cards that really have very little demand in comparison to similarly priced Modern or Standard playables.

I mean, Ancestral Vision was in the Duel Deck Anthology and it hasn't gotten particularly cheaper.

Ancestral Vision was an $8 card when DD:Anthology was printed. In a set with so few cards of any real value Ancestral Visions, despite the relatively low demand at the time, had to absorb a significant amount of the value of the set. That in combination with the limited printing meant it only saw a very modest decline in the short-term but because of the limited demand Legacy has on playables, largely due to the real limiting factor being cards with a finite supply and very high prices (i.e. Reserved List cards), any additional printings of cards that only see play outside of high demand formats will be fairly effective at suppressing prices for a longer than typical time frame. EMA will almost certainly drop the prices and, while the smaller supply impact of PCA certainly won't affect prices to the same degree, it will be deleterious to any near- to mid-term rebound prospects in non-foil prices for the value cards most sensitive to additional printings. Those being cards used in small volume or in low demand formats.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204639084]When there's an EMA sealed PPTQ I'll get right on it.[/QUOTE]

....we have one.

Angry Grimace

Hold your tongue! Wolf Hymn is the absolute best one.

The lady that did the Wolf Hymn does furry art now, along with pictures of her cats.

Really. I'm sure you're surprised.

looks like I'm about 60 points short of a WCMQ invite but there's no PPTQs for 3 weeks here. That's what I get for never going to FNM in the past year.

Eh no thanks. Never really liked that style. Too comic-booky for me.

Quinton Hoover was one of the most skilled artists in the game's early days at composition and detail work, and he still compares favorably to the all-time greats today. I mean, just look at this piece:

The use of space, the immaculate anatomy wedded to the dynamism of movement and the abstract stylization of the background... this isn't even close to his best piece and it's still so far beyond what many MTG illustrators can bring to the table. He was a huge influence on some of the hyperreal artists who defined Magic's style later (rk post is an obvious one) and is up there in a small group with Chris Rush and a couple others for artists who defined iconic images for the game. If you're rejecting his style because sharp lines = comic books = bad, you should really give him another look.

R.I.P. Quinton. :(

If anything, the latter are more comic booky with their exaggerated style.

Quinton has a strong comic feel just from technique -- those sharp black lines are a real notable marker -- but with a distinct hyperrealist bent in terms of how the characters and objects in his pictures are drawn. In that sense he has more in common with artists like Michael Komarck or Steve Belledin than artists who draw characters with a plastic, cartoony style.

OnPoint

The lady that did the Wolf Hymn does furry art now, along with pictures of her cats.

Really. I'm sure you're surprised.

This just makes it better to me haha

Man I WISH they would go back to a more simpler style.

[imghttp://magiccards.info/scans/en/me2/102.jpg[/img][im]http://magiccards.info/scans/en/al/36.jpg[/img]

Contrast them to

[imghttp://magiccards.info/scans/en/soi/98.jpg[/img][imghttp://magiccards.info/scans/en/ori/283.jpg[/img]

If anything, the latter are more comic booky with their exaggerated style.

... I don't know how this applies to me preferring one Hymn art to another? I wasn't commenting on current Magic art compared to classic Magic art -- i was comparing one Fallen Empires card to another Fallen Empires card.

But... I actually really like that second Sengir art, out of the 4 examples you posted. I also quite like the original. However, while Anson Maddocks is certainly iconic and has a style untouched by other Magic artists, the game has moved on from that a long time ago. The Krovikan Vampire is the exact style I was saying I didn't like. The sharp lines and extra solid colors give it a cartoony and animated vibe. I didn't like it in 1995 and I don't like it in 2016. I will say that I prefer it to Alms of the Vein though. Gosh that's awful.

Charlequin: I like the gargoyle. It's good art. I just don't like the Vampire, or that Hymn. I guess I'd have to really look at his catalog to figure out what I do and don't like. I'm not saying he's a bad artist. I just don't like that animated-ish style.

Charlequin: I like the gargoyle. It's good art. I just don't like the Vampire, or that Hymn. I guess I'd have to really look at his catalog to figure out what I do and don't like. I'm not saying he's a bad artist. I just don't like that animated-ish style.

Krovikan Vampire is one of his worse pieces so that's probably fair. His best pieces are the ones where he has space to really leverage the composition and to bring detail to his subjects; Krovikan Vampire just looks like it was cropped out of a much bigger piece.

Ashodin

Story was pretty good - Dominaria!

Also WTF at Rorix's art.

PLZ Can we have Silvos tho? Only Pit Fighter without an updated card frame

OnPoint

Running down a quick search of his piece, these stood out to me:

Awesome:
Adakar Unicorn
Carnivorous Plant
Elder Land Wurm
Emerald Dragonfly
Headless Horseman
Ivory Gargoyle
Whispers of the Muse

What I don't like:
Balduvian Shaman
Darkpact
Elvish Fury
Fellwar Stone
Nameless Race
Orcish Healer
Preacher
Regeneration

What I learned is I like his more fantastical pieces, and I don't really like his human/humanoid pieces. Like Preacher looks like it belongs in an Archie comic to me. Regeneration just looks super generic, and what's with that goofy solid box behind the guy? But then some of his stuff is really beautiful. Adakar Unicorn might be one of my favorite pieces ever.

Ashodin

Read along with me everyone

EDH IS NOT SU-POSED-TA_BE

C O M P E T I T I V E

O

M

P

E

T

I

T

I

V

E

Some people take shit too seriously

OnPoint

Competitive EDH is going to exist. Competitive anything will exist. Just don't play it yourself if you don't like. It's not for me either. I just stay away from it.

Crocodile

r/EDH and r/CompetitiveEDH have been losing their shit because Sheldon dissed competitive EDH players on MTGS.

Having not seen any of this for myself I feel somewhat confident that their reaction is probably not proportional to what Sheldon actually said. That being said, I see no good reason to shit on people for how they choose to play EDH. You can't exactly walk into a church and shout "Jesus sucks!" and not expect some pushback.

OnPoint

Having not seen any of this for myself I feel somewhat confident that their reaction is probably not proportional to what Sheldon actually said. That being said, I see no good reason to shit on people for how they choose to play EDH. You can't exactly walk into a church and shout "Jesus sucks!" and not expect some pushback.

Sure you can, they're supposed to turn the other cheek.

I get what you mean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom