• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

CjT23QkUYAY8VMj.jpg

YES
this is the best set ever!!!!

I'm doing a little dance right now

but what makes it different to investigate?

Investigate is a keyword action, which makes it a verb. Anything you ever see templated like that (investigate, scry, regenerate, etc.) is a keyword action. The difference is that regular keywords are essentially a set fact about the card they appear on, while keyword actions are things you do. http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Keyword_action

In this case I think cascade isn't an action because they wanted it to always be a cast trigger, and you don't need it to be an action unless it can be caused by different things.

This set is bonkers, I keep repeating that but it really is.

no you see it's another mm2015 for some reason because *trails off, shuffles papers, walks into the sea*

He already told Avacyn she could kill Jace and Tamiyo. Which isn't evil. I think he's going to be a gray area kind of character. Which is awesome.

But that makes him a "I'm here too" character that's just pretentious dropping these lines.

Investigate is a keyword action, which makes it a verb. Anything you ever see templated like that (investigate, scry, regenerate, etc.) is a keyword action.

How does one spot the difference?

OnPoint

But that makes him a "I'm here too" character that's just pretentious dropping these lines.

I disagree. I think he's going to operate on his own agenda. He's not a villain in the way Nicol Bolas is, but he's not going to hold up his hand and take an oath and join the Justice Society either. I think there needs to be more characters like this. I'm sick of the line in the sand, good guy-bad guy only dichotomy.

Crocodile

I expected Marshall's limited article going over the archetypes would be today. Maybe they are saving that for LRcast?

no you see it's another mm2015 for some reason because *trails off, shuffles papers, walks into the sea*

I mean I don't think its unreasonable to have been afraid this would be another MM15 before release. I mean it still technically could be if everything revealed from now on is jank :p

hermit7

Chain lightning is a great reprint.

Bought a play set about a month or so ago for legacy burn, but it is a silly card to be at like 15/ per.

Set looks really sweet, hopefully my legs has it for draft a few times, doubt I spring for a box, but may pick some singles up.

El Topo

I disagree. I think he's going to operate on his own agenda. He's not a villain in the way Nicol Bolas is, but he's not going to hold up his hand and take an oath and join the Justice Society either. I think there needs to be more characters like this. I'm sick of the line in the sand, good guy-bad guy only dichotomy.

What they need are characters with motivation, with their own goals. They might help out, sure, but they have other stuff they might care more about.

I wasn't asking for that and especially not permanently, just for a set. Nicol Bolas isn't evil, he's simply more powerful than for any morals to bind him.
The point is being grey is fine being grey and acting like you could crush anyone at anytime and knowitall is campy.

Also interestingly with how powerful he's being positioned recently he still hasn't gotten an Apex rendition that puts him up there with Bolas, Ugin, Karn or heck Garruk.

Jhriad

I wonder how disappointed folks will be opening non-foil Shardless Agent or Maelstrom Wanderer when they realize they're also being reprinted in Planechase Anthology. Unless the print run is on the scale of MM1 rather than MM2, non-foil Shardless Agent's price is going to take a stiff hit over the summer. Probably a good idea to keep your eyes open for pickup opportunities on foils with unusually low multipliers on TCGPlayer/eBay while the set is being opened for a good mid- to long-term hold.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wonder how disappointed folks will be opening non-foil Shardless Agent or Maelstrom Wanderer when they realize they're also being reprinted in Planechase Anthology. Unless the print run is on the scale of MM1 rather than MM2, non-foil Shardless Agent's price is going to take a stiff hit over the summer. Probably a good idea to keep your eyes open for pickup opportunities on foils with unusually low multipliers on TCGPlayer/eBay while the set is being opened for a good mid- to long-term hold.

The print run of the anthology sets is pretty tiny and it costs a shitload for a set that isn't worth buying unless you just like playing Planechase.

I mean, Ancestral Vision was in the Duel Deck Anthology and it hasn't gotten particularly cheaper.

OnPoint

I wasn't asking for that and especially not permanently, just for a set. Nicol Bolas isn't evil, he's simply more powerful than for any morals to bind him.
The point is being grey is fine being grey and acting like you could crush anyone at anytime and knowitall is campy.

Also interestingly with how powerful he's being positioned recently he still hasn't gotten an Apex rendition that puts him up there with Bolas, Ugin, Karn or heck Garruk.

I guess I don't have a problem with a little bit of camp in a game where wizards summon monsters and fight each other. It's fantasy. There's room for it.

Bolas' motivations are currently too shrouded to know what his intentions are, and whether he's evil or not is a matter of interpretation. By that logic it's hard to draw a line on what he is, but the writing sure positions him away from being a good guy, and Grixis is typically not a heroic or neutral color alignment in modern Magic storytelling.

I think 6-mana Sorin is a good step toward that apex-rendition style card you reference. But I think it's OK if he's a step below Karn and those around 7-mana. That said, I think he bleeds upward to their level in terms of power level, while Chandra at 6-mana tends to bleed downward in power level for me.

bigkrev

If Planechase Anthology is anything like Duel Deck anthology, you are going to have to pay 2-3x retail to get it. It's more limited than From The Vault.

I guess I don't have a problem with a little bit of camp in a game where wizards summon monsters and fight each other. It's fantasy. There's room for it.

Bolas' motivations are currently too shrouded to know what his intentions are, and whether he's evil or not is a matter of interpretation. By that logic it's hard to draw a line on what he is, but the writing sure positions him away from being a good guy, and Grixis is typically not a heroic or neutral color alignment in modern Magic storytelling.

I think 6-mana Sorin is a good step toward that apex-rendition style card you reference. But I think it's OK if he's a step below Karn and those around 7-mana. That said, I think he bleeds upward to their level in terms of power level, while Chandra at 6-mana tends to bleed downward in power level for me.

There's good and bad campy, imo right now it's bad campy. If Sorin was the baddie in SOI it'd have been good campy.

Bolas is none of it, he and Ugin are above those determinations.

Just from card powerlevel Chandra has been the strongest 6CMC since Elspeth.She takes games over quickly and ends them just as fast.

OnPoint

There's good and bad campy, imo right now it's bad campy. If Sorin was the baddie in SOI it'd have been good campy.

Bolas is none of it, he and Ugin are above those determinations.

Just from card powerlevel Chandra has been the strongest 6CMC since Elspeth.She takes games over quickly and ends them just as fast.

I don't agree about the camp. But that's fine, we're probably just in different... camps. Kill me now.

I don't agree about Bolas. Ugin does seem to be above it. But that's not how Bolas is being positioned.

As for Chandra and the 6CMC, I mean it more in regards to how 6CMC correlates to the story, not how it correlates to power in game. I agree, 6CMC Chandra is powerful. I do not think that Chandra is on the level of Sorin in a narrative-sense, though, despite their cards costing the same.

I don't agree about the camp. But that's fine, we're probably just in different... camps. Kill me now.

I don't agree about Bolas. Ugin does seem to be above it. But that's not how Bolas is being positioned.

As for Chandra and the 6CMC, I mean it more in regards to how 6CMC correlates to the story, not how it correlates to power in game. I agree, 6CMC Chandra is powerful. I do not think that Chandra is on the level of Sorin in a narrative-sense, though, despite their cards costing the same.

Oh sure, she's mortal after all. If Ugin is above it so is Bolas, to us it might seem nefarious what he does but he's just trying to reclaim his rightful place.

OnPoint

Oh sure, she's mortal after all. If Ugin is above it so is Bolas, to us it might seem nefarious what he does but he's just trying to reclaim his rightful place.

You seem to have this idea that Bolas being ancient means his motivations are beyond human understanding. I'm sure there's something to that, but there's so much more to the character. They've given him some pretty clear and definable motivations/actions that point him toward a direction of evil. Trying to reclaim his "rightful place" isn't absent of evil by default -- you have to examine the context -- and he's proven that he's willing to walk on or through anyone to achieve this goal. They've definitely made him into one of the "big bads" of the universe, scheming behind the scenes and manipulating things to get his way, everyone else be damned. I get that this is just my perception of "evil", but I don't really want to have that philosophical debate. The point is that WotC is clearly making him a bad guy.

Conversely, Ugin is, motivationally speaking, a blank slate right now. And your idea of his motivations being above it all apply better to him. And I think that's by design. What Ugin does and is doing is devoid of any good/evil direction right now because we don't have a frame of reference for any of it yet. I have a feeling, and this is pure speculation, he'll eventually end up becoming something more of a villain, since he seems like he's the most willing to let planes die for the good of the multiverse, which is what the entire Gatewatch is trying to prevent. But I think he'll always be in the "I'm doing this for the good of everyone, I don't expect you to understand" field.

I think giving Chandra a 6CMC card destroys the "use cmc to discuss story power" idea, which is kind of sad. I would argue from a pure power level perspective she's toward the higher end of the mortal/Gatewatch characters. But Sorin is clearly in that upper echelon. So having them cost the same just kills that for me.

Firemind

I like Sorin and Jace. There, I said it.
Oh, I liked him when he was just showing up to bitch slap the Eldrazi. Then he made Avacyn, killing his people, has no clue about the whereabouts of the people close to him and acts like a petulant child when things doesn't go his way.

He should have been Dracula but he's more like Alucard.

To be fair, I like Sorin less the more they write stories about him. He's supposed to be this far-minded but selfish immortal which is an idea I can get behind, but all the stories have him acting really impatient and annoyed which makes no sense.

Daedardus

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204633792]All I know is, Cabal Therapy is my favorite card of all time so this set is alright by me.

Still won't buy a single pack, though.[/QUOTE]

My wallet is going to hurt from wanting to pick up so much singles. I definitely need some Baleful Strixes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom