• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If this set doesn't have Dark Depths then fuck WOTC.

Santiako

The new template for choice cards is so much better than the old one.

KMjyXwC.jpg
FkPXaQZ.jpg

I love how they mirror each other.

RE: Some new Eternal Format. If it's RL-Free Legacy, what sort of things do you think spike in some absurd way? Do Shock Lands become even more valuable?

EDIT: I see someone already brought up Shocks.

Announcements like this make me nervous since I hate seeing a 30 cent card that I've been humming and hawing about become $5-10 overnight, but I guess that's just how it goes. Magic.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
RE: Some new Eternal Format. If it's RL-Free Legacy, what sort of things do you think spike in some absurd way? Do Shock Lands become even more valuable?

EDIT: I see someone already brought up Shocks.

Announcements like this make me nervous since I hate seeing a 30 cent card that I've been humming and hawing about become $5-10 overnight, but I guess that's just how it goes. Magic.

For the most part it would be the same shit.

Like, here's a Sneak and Show deck:

1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

4 Griselbrand
4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

4 Ponder
2 Preordain
2 Gitaxian Probe
4 Show and Tell
4 Brainstorm
4 Spell Pierce
4 Force of Will
4 Lotus Petal
4 Sneak Attack

3 Ancient Tomb
2 City of Traitors
1 Flooded Strand
3 Island
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Mountain
1 Polluted Delta
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Volcanic Island

The difference is -3 Volcanic Island, -2 City of Traitors. I mean, I guess someone would buy shocks but they aren't 4-ofs to begin with and RTR had all 10 of them in very large supply.

Daedardus

I feel like the debate on what is good art is heavily based on old how you are and when you started playing the game. I feel like when you're in you late thirties now and grew up with the early days of Magic, you'll like the more classic and wacky art that was prevelant in comic books and tabletop games. But for me personally, most of that art lacks good art direction and comes off as very grainy. Not that all art is better now, as BFZ had some very bad pieces, but most of the art is now more fitting to what the card is actually doing.

Firemind

I feel like the debate on what is good art is heavily based on old how you are and when you started playing the game. I feel like when you're in you late thirties now and grew up with the early days of Magic, you'll like the more classic and wacky art that was prevelant in comic books and tabletop games. But for me personally, most of that art lacks good art direction and comes off as very grainy. Not that all art is better now, as BFZ had some very bad pieces, but most of the art is now more fitting to what the card is actually doing.
You think a wall of fire coming from cracks in the ground looks better and is more fitting than a dragon spitting fire which is amplified by the mage's staff?

Daedardus

I'm a dumbass, it's REB/BEB that has alternate online-only art.

Do they? Can't seem to find it. Maybe you are still mistaking them for another color hoser pair?

You think a wall of fire coming from the ground looks better and is more fitting than a dragon spitting fire which is amplified by the mage's staff?

To be honest, in this case, Pyroblast and Hydroblast don't have bad art, I just find it to look a bit whacky and perhaps a bit childish, but it's still fitting. I was more talking about some other pieces from the very early days of Magic, the overal way art is handled has become a lot better. And it's good different art styles remain, not everything has to be overly fantastical and computer generated.

Firemind

Do they? Can't seem to find it. Maybe you are still mistaking them for another color hoser pair?

To be honest, in this case, Pyroblast and Hydroblast don't have bad art, I just find it to look a bit whacky and perhaps a bit childish, but it's still fitting. I was more talking about some other pieces from the very early days of Magic, the overal way art is handled has become a lot better. And it's good different art styles remain, not everything has to be overly fantastical and computer generated.
211.jpg

This looks silly. Pyroblast looks fine.

OnPoint

I'm not happy if they make an Eternal format to replace/supplant Legacy. They better have a hell of a reprint strategy in mind for stuff that's going to spike. Shocks were mentioned -- they'll need to be brought back probably into standard to normalize prices. But other random shit is going to spike up hard, and there's no way they could possibly be ready for everything. Selfishly, I probably stand to make a lot of money on stuff going up, but I don't want that.

Also, is that god damned Simon Belmont in the Hyrdroblast art?

Angry Grimace

I'm not happy if they make an Eternal format to replace/supplant Legacy. They better have a hell of a reprint strategy in mind for stuff that's going to spike. Shocks were mentioned -- they'll need to be brought back probably into standard to normalize prices. But other random shit is going to spike up hard, and there's no way they could possibly be ready for everything. Selfishly, I probably stand to make a lot of money on stuff going up, but I don't want that.

What would even spike? Why? Isn't it the same cards as Legacy?

Angry Grimace

The problem with no-reserved list Legacy is that its just Legacy but superior because you might actually find a fucking game.

That isn't a problem per se, but it does make Legacy itself a redundant format.

OnPoint

There's an opportunity here to mix the new Pyroblast art with the awful Mighty No 9 explosion art from the trailer that I'm not good enough at photoshop to pull off.

CjUppBMUYAUgChl.jpg

Producing classics such as:

CjUppAnVAAAUOen.jpg

Jhriad

What would even spike? Why? Isn't it the same cards as Legacy?

You'd be opening up a format that has, up until now, largely avoided the increasingly voracious demand that a format like Modern sees for playables to the masses. The Reserved List essentially capped the potential player base of Vintage and Legacy and by creating 'Eternal' you'd be removing that restraint and exposing any card with somewhat limited supply to the Magic general populace, vendors, and speculators. Any card that hasn't been printed much, or at all, in the Modern era would suddenly be on the precipice of Modern-style price spikes. Remember the spikes on random shit when Tiny Leaders speculation was raging for a couple months there? That was for a format that basically no one was playing. They can't even keep up with Modern demand as is. Expanding the pool of cards that desperately need reprints is asking for more issues.

If they were to make an 'Eternal' format, I think the safe route would be to actually announce it after EMA2 so they have the opportunity to push more supply into the market before starting the #MTGFinance frenzy.

All that said, it's probably just Paper Pauper. Canadian Highlander is possible, I suppose. It's a good way to stretch Reserved List supply even further without subverting the list or casting it aside. Still, that article was just Marshall Sutcliffe pitching the format some more, which he's done on LR before.

red13th

YES I found a store here in São Paulo that's selling Eternal Master boxes, they have 4 for sale. I'm buying one. R$1200 which according to today's rates is about 340 US dollars. Only 20% more than what I paid for my MM15 box. :p

I just pulled the trigger on a box too. Sigh. I really didn't want to but I don't think there is any choice in the matter. It's just a good idea.

That card was the bomb back in the day. Pinging creatures was pretty annoying.

I had a friend who had a deck that was 4x Prodigal Sorcerer and then nothing but permission, bounce, card draw and islands. It was like an 80 card deck, he literally put every counterspell he could find in it. I don't talk to him anymore.

FNM is like 10 points, though. I got over 400 points just from GP Oakland and 2 PPTQs.

Wait a sec. My points aren't showing up from the last PPTQ I entered. How long should it take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom