• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

They're not doing it anywhere.

Maro: "This set will do something absolutely new that I've been trying to do for decades and that will make everyone so happy when they see it."

Some fool on reddit: "Obviously he means something that's already been done on several cards that nobody cares about much, probably???"
Apparently there was a slip up about it on his drive to work podcast.

Santiako

I would love to see Cabal Coffers somewhere. The dream is at Uncommon, but Rare is probably where it would go. I've always wanted to play with this card and slowly watched it rise without jumping on it.
Odyssey block era mono black control is still one of the most fun decks to play ever. It was also really frustrating for the opponents :p

Edit: Speaking of, Innocent blood is back!

M9jk2Sq.jpg

Odyssey block era mono black control is still one of the most fun decks to play ever. It was also really frustrating for the opponents :p

I bet. I've only played against the card in the Just for Fun MODO room and whenever it comes down, I know that there is some shit coming my way :)

Slightly updated:

riseupo4spd.png

Had to lower the curve a bit and smooth out the mana.

The Displacer + Hallowed Moonlight combo is just the best. That's probably the main reason to play white over blue outside of the deck being better for my life total.

On the other hand, I lose Silumgar's Command which is my best card against GW tokens.

ultron87

Isn't that back to how it originally worked? Because tapped artifacts used to turn off?

For some reason, I thought they'd given it errata similarly to what they did with Howling Mine. But maybe they never actually did that?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Isn't that back to how it originally worked? Because tapped artifacts used to turn off?

For some reason, I thought they'd given it errata similarly to what they did with Howling Mine. But maybe they never actually did that?

They've been bouncing its functionality back and forth

Apparently there was a slip up about it on his drive to work podcast.

During his Unhinged podcast he talks about how they considered making Little Girl a "Basic Creature" but they "didn't have that technology yet."

In reality, when he's talking about this technology he means the ability to have any number of a card to begin with (first showed up in Mirrodin, meaning it hadn't gone to print yet when Unhinged was in design), it's not something he's been passionate about, it's not something new because we obviously have already seen it, it's not something that will excite anyone, it's not a design challenge so it doesn't fit the clue, and it doesn't date to before Maro became head designer. So... why is reddit talking about this again?

CjZzziMUoAAJ41v.jpg

I believe this is a change from how Winter Orb currently works

Hallelujah!

First off, love this art -- the original owns obviously but this is a great reinvention, which until now has been online-exclusive in the MTGO Cube. Brian Snoddy is another one of those underappreciated classic artists, so this is a great fit.

Secondly, when they changed the tapped-artifacts rule, they originally errataed a few cards to include the turn-off since it was so fundamental to how they functioned, but then later in one of their purges of "functional errata" they got rid of them again. Cards that had been printed in the interim -- like Static Orb -- got to keep their latest text, but Winter Orb didn't see print again in that time period and so got it wiped out. This suggests that someone mercifully convinced them to re-revert to the errata text, and then print it in paper to make sure it sticks.

ultron87

They've been bouncing its functionality back and forth

Ah yeah. http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/may-2011-update-bulletin-2011-05-04

Winter Orb
In the first versions of the Magic rules, the static abilities of an artifact turned off if the artifact was tapped. When this rule changed, three cards (Winter Orb, Static Orb, and Howling Mine) were issued errata to maintain this functionality. Since then, Static Orb and Howling Mine have been reprinted with this errata, but Winter Orb never was. If you pick up this card somewhere and you understand modern Magic rules, you'd never guess it would have to be untapped to function, and the once-common "tap my own Winter Orb at the end of my turn so I get to untap my lands" play would be utterly baffling. Well, we can't have that.

New wording
Players can't untap more than one land during their untap steps.

So now that they're actually printing it they're changing it back.

Firemind

well this was during a time when icy manipulator didn't even require to tap

Ashodin

During his Unhinged podcast he talks about how they considered making Little Girl a "Basic Creature" but they "didn't have that technology yet."

In reality, when he's talking about this technology he means the ability to have any number of a card to begin with (first showed up in Mirrodin, meaning it hadn't gone to print yet when Unhinged was in design), it's not something he's been passionate about, it's not something new because we obviously have already seen it, it's not something that will excite anyone, it's not a design challenge so it doesn't fit the clue, and it doesn't date to before Maro became head designer. So... why is reddit
Clearly you know more than I so I'll leave it you to debunk

G.ZZZ

Winter Orb is already a fringe playable card in legacy honestly (good vs lands and miracle which are two of the most common archetypes), and would probably rek modern. I agree that this wording is actually a buff in most instances.

I guess if winter orb is tapped at the start of your turn you untap all your lands? It's a static ability so it should. In which case, you have to tap it during your opponent turn. Tangle wire is a nonbo sadly.

Well, blinkmoth well exist but LOL.

OnPoint

Winter Orb is already a fringe playable card in legacy honestly (good vs lands and miracle which are two of the most common archetypes), and would probably rek modern. I agree that this wording is actually a buff in most instances.

I guess if winter orb is tapped at the start of your turn you untap all your lands? It's a static ability so it should. In which case, you have to tap it during your opponent turn. Tangle wire is a nonbo sadly.

Well, blinkmoth well exist but LOL.

Oh no wait nvm haha

Edit: After searching, this is what I came up with that seem playable?

Icy Manipulator
Blinkmoth Well
Ghirapur Aether Grid
Relic Barrier
Tumble Magnet
Twiddle

I'm actually intrigued by the possibility of a Winter Orb Aether Grid combo deck.

G.ZZZ

Ghirapur aether Grid is actually a good card that could see some play as a win condition in some sort of stax-list with 0 creatures.

And maybe standstill.

Like everyone would hate you but i'd play that deck. With everything pimped to be white bordered.

red13th

Nice, Winter Orb! The new wording makes me think Opposition could actually be in the set too. Yet another insta-add. Art is beautiful too.
Smokestack still fits the crunch too, but I think Armageddon won't be in. :/ Maybe in Conspiracy 2.

Ghirapur aether Grid is actually a good card that could see some play as a win condition in some sort of stax-list with 0 creatures.

And maybe standstill.

Like everyone would hate you but i'd play that deck. With everything pimped to be white bordered.

Card is amazing, sad it never got its due in standard. In modern lantern control sometimes uses it as a finisher and affinity sideboards it as well.

Ashodin

What?

I just have a chip on my shoulder about random redditors inventing random shit out of whole cloth without even coming up with the evidence to actually support it.

It was fun to think about strategies where the whole deck had cards that specifically worked with the Basic supertype before falling asleep last night

red13th

lol the way they spoiled Mother was funny too.

Some dude in Reddit: I think Mother of Runes should be reprinted in EMA! What you guys think.
WotC rep: I think it should, in fact it was. *links to EMA Mother of Runes image*

Crocodile

I think Winter Orb is the last non-dual land white bordered I have in my Regular Cube so I'm glad I get to replace it

Nice, Winter Orb! The new wording makes me think Opposition could actually be in the set too. Yet another insta-add. Art is beautiful too.
Smokestack still fits the crunch too, but I think Armageddon won't be in. :/ Maybe in Conspiracy 2.

In a casual, multi-player focused product? Do you want to start a fist fight? LOL

hermit7

Mom's art is great, would look spectacular in foil I think.

Going to pick up see of the expensive parts of death and taxes I think. (Karakas, wastelands and ports). Then build out the rest of the cheaper pieces later on.

Daedardus

Is it too early to give the hope up for Snapcaster Mage? You would think it would've been spoiled by now if it was in. I hope they are not saving it for MM3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom