• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

explodet

As someone who played when 3rd edition was out and fell out around Onslaught, I'm finding a lot of cards I used in almost all the decks I've built over the years.

Kird Ape? Orcish Oriflamme? Really?

bigkrev

Phyrexian Ingestor and Havoc Demon are really splashy limited effects moved down to Uncommon

Nights Whisper, Desperate Ravings, Kird Ape are all huge additions to Pauper, and I'm intreagued by Yavimaya Enchatress for the format as well

G.ZZZ

Port not being reprinted is essentially a slap in the face of MTGO players, especially when you consider that D&T would easily be the cheapest deck online and in paper if port were reprinted. I guess they coudln't reprint everything because they wanted eternal master 2 to still have something in it, but still. In MTGO this set's value is extremely low tbh, and Sphinx of the Steel Wind as an epic?

Still, it's a good set value wise. MTGO legacy meta will remain warped for another year at least since port make Lands and D&T way overcosted and those two decks would be really nicely positioned in online's meta with many eldrazis (which bot D&T and lands are favorable against) and miracles (whose D&T is favorable against and Lands goes slightly unfavored).

ironmang

Could possibly see some of these cards absent from EMA in the new conspiracy set later this summer. Conspiracy wasn't on magic online though so even if Port gets reprinted it won't solve that problem.

red13th

Yeah Rishadan Port is the most glaring omission.

Also, I'm glad they are reprinting Young Pyromancer tokens. Wish they printed Ophiomancer's token too :/

bigkrev

Oh, missed another Rare to Common downgrade!
CjeKZj6UUAAHmYK.png

Might also have some pauper appeal

As someone who does not care about Legacy or Vintage, this set seems like it will be fun to draft once in Paper, a few times on MTGO, and will make a real impact on Pauper AND reprinting the most expensive card in the format (Daze is now down to $9 from $20+ since it was ANNOUNCED as a reprint!), while not containing cards that are relevant to Modern, my favorite format. A win all-around for me

I am legit surprised there is no chainer's edict. wow.

also stop reprinting that horrible serra angel art wizards...pay the original artist plz thx.

When those "value of EMA box" guys were counting the spoiler dump cards as 0$ in their analysis they weren't too far off.

That's always true. There's honestly a limit to how many above-bulk cards you can squeeze in even if you're not trying to preserve equity or manage a limited format.

No SFM, Vial, Jitte, Batterskull, Port, SoIaF, or even Thalia?

Vial, Batterskull, Sword, and Thalia are all better suited to a MM set and they're not gonna use them here -- if they don't carry over Tarmogoyf to this set they certainly won't for this stuff. SFM just got reprinted as a promo that halved its price. Jitte isn't quite on-theme and isn't that wild price-wise.

The big lacuna here is Rishadan Port. I'm guessing they see it as playing a similar role to Wasteland (big colorless mana-denial land) and went with the other one this time around?

In MTGO this set's value is extremely low tbh

Unfortunate, although I think overall people are gonna be much happier with a set optimizing for paper value than online.

red13th

I have 5 straight art upgrades in blue alone (Control Magic, Fact or Fiction, Memory Lapse, Counterspell and Daze), I love the art in this set.

OnPoint

Oh, missed another Rare to Common downgrade!
[IM]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjeKZj6UUAAHmYK.png[/IMG]

Might also have some pauper appeal

As someone who does not care about Legacy or Vintage, this set seems like it will be fun to draft once in Paper, a few times on MTGO, and will make a real impact on Pauper AND reprinting the most expensive card in the format (Daze is now down to $9 from $20+ since it was ANNOUNCED as a reprint!), while not containing cards that are relevant to Modern, my favorite format. A win all-around for me

Wait, Daze was up to $20? When?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Animate Dead and Entomb barely have any viable targets.

Crocodile

Set looks good though I'll probably aim for singles and a few random packs. Opening rares that used to be uncommons will always be a gut punch. A couple of real good Pauper additions though. I'm sad at no Grizzly Fate for the threshold archetype :(

Wait, no Worldly Tutor? What the fuck? I'm legitimately disappointed now.

Yeah this has me legit shook. Like makes no sense with all the other 1 mana tutors in the set :(

bigkrev

For the U/B draft deck, you have Havok Demon and Phyrexian Ingestor at Uncommon as payoffs for Reanimation, you have Landcyclers at common as something that is easy to reanimate and a reasonable sized body for reanimation, and then you have on color rares like Visarea and Inkwell Leviathon, and that's not even counting the off color stuff. It's perfectly fine as a draft strategy

I was so excited to upgrade my tutors, but they didn't finish the cycle? Why?!!?

Also, no Recruiter bums me out. I really wanted to finally be able to afford one for the cube.

OnPoint

Mercadia seems like the perfect plane to hit up for Conspiracy. It would also allow them to maybe bring back Squee. In that line of logic, I'd love to see Port in that set, probably as a mythic, but man, just get it out there.

Crocodile

Natural Order is the sets green tutor.

If Vampiric Tutor and Entomb can be in the same set, so can Natural Order and Worldy Tutor

Mercadia seems like the perfect plane to hit up for Conspiracy. It would also allow them to maybe bring back Squee. In that line of logic, I'd love to see Port in that set, probably as a mythic, but man, just get it out there.

We are going back to Fiora for Conspiracy 2. Do you mean you want Conspiracy 3 set on Mercadia?

red13th

Mana Drain, Imperial Recruiter and Rishadan Port could be the marquee cards for the next EMA. Any other big omissions?
I'm actually very happy with EMA, my wanted reprints list has been cut almost in half, and the really important non-Armageddon ones are in EMA.

MoxManiac

Mana Drain, Imperial Recruiter and Rishadan Port could be the marquee cards for the next EMA. Any other big omissions?
I'm actually very happy with EMA, my wanted reprints list has been cut almost in half, and the really important non-Armageddon ones are in EMA.

Demonic Tutor (cuz of Vampriric)

red13th

Jitte and Stoneforge Mystic too I guess.
The only baffling choice IMO was Sphinx at Mythic, there are so many cooler worthless Mythics they could have chosen.

bigkrev

Mana Drain is a current Judge promo- they were never going to reprint that here.

I'm also happy that with only a single exception (WHY IS MAELSTROM WANDERER IN THIS SET?!?), every mythic is playable in either legacy or vintage. We don't have a MM1 situation where they printed 5 mythic unplayable dragons!

lol @ the land cycle for limited being the refuges from KTK block

Why Sphinx of the Steel Wind

Actually, yeah other than the Sphinx and Inkwell there really isn't anything at 7 CMC and above worth reanimating, which is really the baseline for a cheat deck. I guess Havoc Demon is supposed to be the limited payoff? Twisted Abomination if you're really desperate.

To be honest it doesn't seem like classic reanimator is a viable draft archetype. It's more of a value deck since they put in stuff like victimize and a bunch of etb effect creatures.

Nice to see Duplicant get a reprint (been holding at $8-10 for a while). Though, remains to be seen how much rares from this set actually drop in price.

I wonder what the best first pick uncommon is in the set. Fact or Fiction? Worn Powerstone?

Kinda weird that Armadillo Cloak is in a set with a bunch of shroud and pro white/green creatures and no hexproof. Enchantress deck is kinda weird like that.

Also, Invigorate with no Infect creatures.

Yeah this has me legit shook. Like makes no sense with all the other 1 mana tutors in the set :(

It's weird to not complete the cycle but Green Sun's Zenith is actually worth more, lol.

Stuff I can think of that would be cool: Land Tax, Armageddon, Counterbalance, Show and Tell, Berserk, Tangle Wire, Containment Priest, Bribery, Flusterstorm, True-Name Nemesis, Infernal Tutor, Crucible of Worlds, Chalice of the Void, Dark Depths... thinking about it there's actually plenty of stuff to consider for a second go-round in 2018.

BTW: I am kind of shocked by this, but I can't find any site that'll let me just search out lists of cards by format, sorted by price, much less one that will also let me exclude Reserved List cards. This seems like a pretty big thing to be lacking! I wonder if anyone has an API I can pull price data from....

Yeef

I kind of like that they went with the Fate Reforged art for the common duals. It fits the theme of going back in time.
BTW: I am kind of shocked by this, but I can't find any site that'll let me just search out lists of cards by format, sorted by price, much less one that will also let me exclude Reserved List cards. This seems like a pretty big thing to be lacking! I wonder if anyone has an API I can pull price data from....
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/index/modern#paper ?

[EDIT] Missed the bit about reserved list cards. I think there was a price-oriented alternative to magiccards.info that someone was working on a few months back.

So... Benevolent Bodyguard is just a way worse Mother of Runes I take it? My general understanding is that cards that are strictly better than other cards don't usually get printed unless they have some slight cost increase or other drawback attached, or at least aren't printed in the same set, so this is a little weird.

Yeah, I have similar issues. Sometimes I want to see the biggest gainers / losers of a format but exclude certain sets (Alpha / Beta, etc.). Specifically of cards that have been reprinted.

I've actually e-mailed MTGGoldfish before before they put the "Reserved List" note on cards with that suggestion and they got back to me saying they were semi-looking into it. They had it up within a week or so.

I would give them a shout RE: what would be useful to you, if you are inclined :)

Maledict

So... Benevolent Bodyguard is just a way worse Mother of Runes I take it? My general understanding is that cards that are strictly better than other cards don't usually get printed unless they have some slight cost increase or other drawback attached, or at least aren't printed in the same set, so this is a little weird.

It's not strictly better. Benevolent Bodyguard can be used the turn it comes out, and can be used after attacking. Whilst most of the time Mother of runes is the better option, there are definitely circumstances where you would prefer Bodyguard.

It's not strictly better. Benevolent Bodyguard can be used the turn it comes out, and can be used after attacking. Whilst most of the time Mother of runes is the better option, there are definitely circumstances where you would prefer Bodyguard.
Hmmm, ok fair enough. I guess the question to me is how often I'd like to apply protection to X color to my creatures, and that would seem to be all the time, but your cases on timing make sense.

Coalition Honor Guard is pretty funny though. Basically has a taunting effect, but apparently it pulls otherwise friendly spells that the opponent would normally put on their own creatures as well.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Strictly betters in the same set were there from the start. Granted, they don't do it as much, but it still happens.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I can't believe they made Peregrine Drake a common... what was the point of banning Cloud of Faeries? Most annoying deck ever in pauper is coming back smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom