• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago I sent them to a big online dealer to have them checked out and he wasn't sure they were fake, but ultimately concluded they were.

Out of curiosity, what factors did he examine to determine this? All fakes from the 90s fail some pretty major tests in the suite people put counterfeits up against these days, so it should be possible to get a pretty decisive answer.

If you went into the B/S/T thread on Gaming saying "hey, I have bootleg copies of Fire Emblem for sale for $10", how do you think it would go over?

I don't think this is quite the right analogy. The value of a bootleg FE is in providing playable content -- it can look funny, be obviously fake, but if it still works to play the game it'll serve the purpose of letting you play the game, and you couldn't play it at all without some kind of copy.

With Magic cards, the value is in enabling you to play in official events. Having an unambiguously fake proxy that duplicates the card's face isn't an issue, because people could just play with proxies anyway (like, this is basically what makes artist proofs acceptable.) The real issue is that you couldn't make these unambiguously fake without marking or otherwise damaging them, and if you didn't do that someone could turn around and sell them to someone else.

Regardless, yes, please don't sell counterfeit merchandise, and think carefully about whether it's a good idea to distribute them to people otherwise.

charlequin, this confusion seems to pop up a lot, so perhaps while the thread's in Community, the title should be changed to "Magic: the Gathering - General Discussion |OT| (Shadows over Innistrad)" or something.

I'm not sure it's really stopping people from participating, but maybe next time we can sneak an OT number back in and have something like "Magic: the Gathering |OT7| Eldritch Moon - witty wit goes here."

I'm not sure it's really stopping people from participating, but maybe next time we can sneak an OT number back in and have something like "Magic: the Gathering |OT7| Eldritch Moon - witty wit goes here."

Yeah, shifting things around seems like a good solution. So this thread would be
Magic: the Gathering |OT7| Shadows over Innistrad - Blue's Clues

EDIT: For Eldritch Moon, if we're going to discuss the subtitle now, then last time around, "It's only a paper moon" seemed to be pretty popular.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I want to switch from Tron to Faeries online but it would be spending extra money to play a demonstrably worse deck.

:(

Tron is literally the easiest deck I've ever played. Like if you don't know how to play Modern, this deck is super easy. All you need to do is board in Nature's Claim against everyone.

OnPoint

Yeah, shifting things around seems like a good solution. So this thread would be
Magic: the Gathering |OT7| Shadows over Innistrad - Blue's Clues

EDIT: For Eldritch Moon, if we're going to discuss the subtitle now, then last time around, "It's only a paper moon" seemed to be pretty popular.

Magic: the Gathering |OT7| Eldritch Moon - Moons Over Ga-Vony
Magic: the Gathering |OT7| Eldritch Moon - That's No Moon,,,
Magic: the Gathering |OT7| Eldritch Moon - Dawn of the Final Day, 24 hours remain
Magic: the Gathering |OT7| Eldritch Moon - Half block: Full Moon Consequences
Magic: the Gathering |OT7| Eldritch Moon - Erehsilukarme

Bandini

Going off my first EMA draft... it's pretty terrible.

It's possible I just drafted an awful R/G "aggro" deck, but man was that match not at all fun to play and the creatures are complete garbage

Ashodin

Magic: The Gathering |OT7| Eldritch Moon - Bend Over
Here Comes Emrakul Again
Magic: The Gathering |OT7| Eldritch Moon - Want some spaghetti?
Magic: The Gathering |OT7| Eldritch Moon - Do you want Eldrazi? Because that's how you get Eldrazi.
Magic: The Gathering |OT7| Eldritch Moon - Sorin & The Expendables

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magic: The Gathering |OT7| Eldritch Moon - Surprise motherfuckers its Marit Lage

My face when I keep a 4 lander with Path, Hierarch, and VoR, and then proceed to draw nothing but lands for a game. Best part is that the previous game was the same, only Arbiter in place of Voice. I strip mined him thrice and he still won because Dorks.

The best part is drawing 14 lands in a 22 land deck, and then finally hitting creatures when he swings in with 3 Smiters and a 8/8 KotR.

Eldritch Moon OT: Horror Fans are over the Moon.

Yeef

Something I hadn't considered, but a friend pointed out; we might see Show and Tell in Conspiracy 2. It's a perfect multiplayer card and potentially less troublesome in that format.

Ashodin

Magic: The Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - Nah, 'Ere Ye Sore In?

I think I wanna wait and see some early spoilers before making a final push for OT titles

Angry Grimace

We aren't anywhere near OT5, so why bother worrying about it lol

El Topo

Anteri's response is...mind-boggling. Just enforce that players have to properly riffle shuffle at least seven times and we would have less complaints about all this.

Daedardus

Anteri's response is...mind-boggling. Just enforce that players have to properly riffle shuffle at least seven times and we would have less complaints about all this.

RIP deck after a couple of tournaments, I certainly would not let my opponent riffle shuffle my deck.

El Topo

RIP deck after a couple of tournaments, I certainly would not let my opponent riffle shuffle my deck.

I mean, if you want a properly randomized deck you need to shuffle sufficiently. Riffle shuffle is mathematically proven to be a very reliable, quick way to achieve that. It can damage cards, which is a big problem, so you may use other shuffling methods, but then you also need to set aside a lot more time for shuffling alone.

I'm too lazy to dig out old lecture notes about the probabilistic analysis of shuffling methods. Does anyone have a link to an article about it? Specifically about the estimated number of times the procedure has to be performed to achive a sufficient randomization?

Crocodile

Jesus Christ what the hell did I walk into when I stepped into this thread O_O.........

Anyway, I usually pile shuffle AND riffle shuffle. I assume that's good enough right?

Daedardus

Mash shuffling is okay if done perfectly (to emulate riffle shuffle), although it leaves a lot more room to cheat.

Just do it randomly, different sized cuts put back differently, do some pile shuffling in between, mash shuffle some piles together, then cut, than make some new pile, then mash,... You'll get a lot better results just by doing many different things in a random order. Honestly, just cut or slightly shuffle your opponents deck if you think he is going to cheat, but I think the chances of being succesful at cheating are rather small.

ironmang

Top 4'd a small standard PPTQ today with GW Tokens. Beat mono blue brain (lol), gr ramp, and mardu walkers in the swiss. Beat BW control (GP NYC list) in first round then lost the mirror in the top 4. Didn't have the best of draws but he had a pretty big trump card in the matchup that I didn't think about: Gryff's Boon. I'll for sure be putting that in my sideboard for my PPTQ next week then GP Pittsburgh.

Got half a box of Oath and unsurprisingly pulled garbage. Either kozilek's return or foil swamp was my best pull.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204941214]I riffle the fuck out of my decks.[/QUOTE]

Yep me too unless there's any borrowed cards in it. Haven't noticed any damage on any of my cards either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom