• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

It's weird to not complete the cycle but Green Sun's Zenith is actually worth more, lol.

Yeah but I have all the Green Suns' Zeniths I'll need and Wordly Tutor has never been in the modern frame! *pouts* :p

So... Benevolent Bodyguard is just a way worse Mother of Runes I take it? My general understanding is that cards that are strictly better than other cards don't usually get printed unless they have some slight cost increase or other drawback attached, or at least aren't printed in the same set, so this is a little weird.

Mother of Runes has to untap (get over summoning sickness) to protect a creature while Bodyguard doesn't. Also Bodyguard was printed in Odyssey block where filling up your graveyard was important. So no, Bodyguard isn't strictly worse in any sense. Also strictly better/worse cards get printed next to each other in the same block/set pretty frequently anyway :p

EDIT: LOL looks like I was late to this. Shame on me for not refreshing :p

I can't believe they made Peregrine Drake a common... what was the point of banning Cloud of Faeries? Most annoying deck ever in pauper is coming back smh

5 mana vs 2 mana is a big deal no?

GOT EEEEEEEEEEM

riseup72ssa.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't be the only one who finds it weird that ETERNAL Masters doesn't have Dark Ritual in it.

Bandini

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204842145]GOT EEEEEEEEEEM

riseup72ssa.png
[/QUOTE]

Vintage Cube is the best, I play it 3-5 times a week lately.

Made a wonderful UB Artifact deck the other day. Sadly had to pass Blightsteel because Tinker was in the same pack, but I still had Wurmcoil and Inkwell as targets. My highlight was probably firing off T1 Mind Twist with x=4 after my opponent mulliganed to 6 and played Mountain and Mox Ruby his turn 1.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gotta save stuff for Eternal Masters 2!!!

Its not like Dark Ritual is the most important card to it, but the idea is to make the set have an old-school feel with stuff like Swords to Plowshares in. It doesn't feel old school without Ritual.

Honestly, Show and Tell should have been Mythic over Force of Will (which should be just a rare). Show and Tell was at least a rare and despite what everyone thinks its not on the Reserved List.

OnPoint

Its not like Dark Ritual is the most important card to it, but the idea is to make the set have an old-school feel with stuff like Swords to Plowshares in. It doesn't feel old school without Ritual.

I was making light of how often we've already, and are going to hear that. That said, black is already looking pretty good.

Crocodile

Holy shit red is straight up garbage.

Like red cannot beat this LMAO

en_engP0hG5UB.png

RIP Rorix

Seismic Stomp, Fervent Cathar, Stingscourger, Undying Rage are all commons that let you push past one of those. Add some burn, rares, etc. and you should be fine. Not that the card still isn't good against Red Aggro but it isn't GG at all LOL.

As an aside, I've noticed a lot of echo creatures in the set. No Thick-Skinned Goblin though.

Vintage Cube is the best, I play it 3-5 times a week lately.

Made a wonderful UB Artifact deck the other day. Sadly had to pass Blightsteel because Tinker was in the same pack, but I still had Wurmcoil and Inkwell as targets. My highlight was probably firing off T1 Mind Twist with x=4 after my opponent mulliganed to 6 and played Mountain and Mox Ruby his turn 1.

I love all the turn two combo decks or channel -> fireball stuff, but my favorite has to be RW artifacts, which as far as I can tell isn't an archetype anybody drafts. Just a bunch of random artifacts and every armageddon you can pick up.

Angry Grimace

Green looks weakest to me but all colors looks pretty absurd. Drafts will be crazy!

Mostly they'll just be non-existent. Set looks a little like a lamer version of VMA (and VMA had a million problems, namely that it was fucking huge and Battle Screech ruined every pod) and way lamer than either MMA to me, but its going to see such little play that I don't even know. Most of the cards you want to open are just randomly good cards like "hey I opened Jace the Mind Sculptor"

SnT def a weird omission.

I mean, there's a bunch of cards that see Legacy play, cost money and didn't make it in. That one is just weird because Sneak Attack isn't any more iconic than Show and Tell is and the deck is named after both of them.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204844521]I remember enjoying watching people draft VMA because of the astral slide stuff but I never played it myself.[/QUOTE]

It was a fun format for gambling purposes (and I spent hundreds on it because I was decent at it), but it would be wrong to suggest it was a MMA or even MMA2 level format.

The first problem was that it was pretty much devoid of value unless you got P9, Force of Will or a blue dual land, bu there were a fucking shitload of cards in the set. There were 9 Ultra Epic Secret Rares, 30 Mythics, 105 Rares. Sometimes your opponent would actually get a Mythic and break the game because you can't beat Library of Alexandria, Sol Ring, Mox anything or Black Lotus in a draft that isn't actually that high powered. Like nothing was Modern legal so all the creatures were garbage. You'd just draft Battle Screech and then draft Radiant and shit because Radiant was an uncommon.

Firemind

Seismic Stomp, Fervent Cathar, Stingscourger, Undying Rage are all commons that let you push past one of those. Add some burn, rares, etc. and you should be fine. Not that the card still isn't good against Red Aggro but it isn't GG at all LOL.

As an aside, I've noticed a lot of echo creatures in the set. No Thick-Skinned Goblin though.
The first three are just temporary answers. Stingscourger is not bad, but look at the rest of red's creatures. They're completely outmatched. Flametongue Kavu isn't even in the set FFS

Undying Rage isn't even good on a 2/2 with no evasion, especially compared to Rancor and Armadillo Cloak.

red13th

Here's what's left of my reprint wishlist.

Armageddon, Land Tax, Ravages of War
Forbid, Mana Drain, Miscalculation, Opposition, Tinker, Upheaval
Chainer's Edict, Damnation, Exhume, Imperial Seal, Mind Twist, Necromancy
Burning of Xinye, Fire Imp, Imperial Recruiter, Rolling Earthquake
Channel, Oath of Druids, Worldly Tutor
Ankh of Mishra, Gemstone Mine, Rishadan Port, Smokestack, Strip Mine, Tangle Wire

EMA2 plz.
Most important cards in the list are Armageddon, Smokestack, Opposition and Upheaval. Exhume and/or Necromancy would be cool too.

Angry Grimace

I was hoping for Jitte just to irritate people in draft.

I kind of like that they went with the Fate Reforged art for the common duals. It fits the theme of going back in time.
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/index/modern#paper ?

Dammit. I feel like I clicked around on their site for ten minutes trying to find something like this, but to no avail.

So yeah, other stuff that occurs to me for future EMAs: Grim Tutor, Ensnaring Bridge, Blood Moon, Ancient Tomb, Pendlehaven, UB Tezzeret, Phyrexian Tower, Glimpse of Nature. There's enough to get at least through EM2 with a lot of new, rad stuff.

I can't be the only one who finds it weird that ETERNAL Masters doesn't have Dark Ritual in it.

At least from an aesthetic perspective this is definitely weird, yes. My guess is it's just actually too disruptive of the limited format as a common and nobody wants it bumped up.

Angry Grimace

I'm really surprised Glimpse of Nature did not make the set.

Firemind

But Top, Enlightened Tutor, Pyrokinesis, Heritage Druid, Imperious Perfect got bumped up. And how the fuck is Xantid Swarm a rare? Imagine paying $10+ for a pack and pulling Xantid Swarm lol

Santiako

Next to me in the sealed pool was one of the guys that usually covers UK gps for wizards, but since there is no coverage he can attend his first GP as a player. He was happy and sad at once.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I dunno. If you can't be happy with the card selection in a set with Force of Will, Counterspell, Swords, Mom, FnF, JTMS, Cabal Therapy, Hymn and Dualcaster Mage, IDK what to tell ya.

Firemind

tbh i don't know why they didn't use the old art for cabal therapy. the art they used already has a modern frame. maybe they have a beef with ron spencer.

Crocodile

The first three are just temporary answers. Stingscourger is not bad, but look at the rest of red's creatures. They're completely outmatched. Flametongue Kavu isn't even in the set FFS

Undying Rage isn't even good on a 2/2 with no evasion, especially compared to Rancor and Armadillo Cloak.

Creatures with 4+ toughness have always been hard for red to deal with permanently. Common or uncommon spells that can deal with 4+ toughness creatures don't show up often in modern limited and are often overpriced. Like this isn't a new aspect of modern limited design. I'm honestly not sure how this can bother you unless you just hate playing modern limited.

But Top, Enlightened Tutor, Pyrokinesis, Heritage Druid, Imperious Perfect got bumped up. And how the fuck is Xantid Swarm a rare? Imagine paying $10+ for a pack and pulling Xantid Swarm lol

Xantid Swarm has always been a rare and it doesn't contribute to any limited archetype and dos weird things. It belongs at rare. So do the tutors and top as well. Like with the red issue, I'm not sure how you can have problems with those rarities if you've played Magic for any extended period of time. The rare bumps on the Elves is obnoxious as all hell though.

red13th

Firebolt + Flashback at common. :)

Thought about another truly awful thing about EMA: Llanowar Elves over Fyndhorn Elves. That and Sphinx at mythic, mostly.

Firemind

Creatures with 4+ toughness have always been hard for red to deal with permanently. Common or uncommon spells that can deal with 4+ toughness creatures don't show up often in modern limited and are often overpriced. Like this isn't a new aspect of modern limited design. I'm honestly not sure how this can bother you unless you just hate playing modern limited.
What are you talking about? Red has had semi-evasion in the last four sets at common level. Red has had ways to kill creatures with 4 toughness or more at common level. It isn't just about the removal. Look at the common red creatures in EMA. With the exception of Borderland Marauder, I don't know how you can expect to attack profitably at all. Reckless Charge and Seismic Stomp have been and still are terrible cards. This is Eternal Masters; a limited format with a higher power level ceiling than your average set. Red got the shaft. It's as simple as that. This is even worse than MMA1 which with a few exceptions had very few playable red creatures.

Crocodile

What are you talking about? Red has had semi-evasion in the last four sets at common level. Red has had ways to kill creatures with 4 toughness or more at common level. It isn't just about the removal. Look at the common red creatures in EMA. With the exception of Borderland Marauder, I don't know how you can expect to attack profitably at all. Reckless Charge and Seismic Stomp have been and still are terrible cards. This is Eternal Masters; a limited format with a higher power level ceiling than your average set. Red got the shaft. It's as simple as that. This is even worse than MMA1 which with a few exceptions had very few playable red creatures.

What are you talking about? You asked how Red could beat the Spider. I showed you a bunch of ways in common/uncommon. You said they weren't permanent. I said permanent ways to deal with such a creature don't show up often and/or are overcosted at low rarities. You show me the one spell per set/block that deals 4+ damage and they are all overcosted (proving my point) and a bunch of menace creatures which are just as much "temporary" solutions as the cards I listed a while back. You dismiss cards like Reckless Charge and Seismic Stomp when cards like those have been key pieces of successful Red aggro decks in modern limited formats for a while now. You talk about shitty red creatures as if Red doesn't usually have bad creatures at low rarities. I mean I'm not sure what you want to see or hear. I'm not going to proclaim Red is amazing-balls in this format or anything but the Spider doesn't look unreasonably more unbeatable than any other high toughness creature with vigilance would in most formats for Red aggro decks.

I mean, there's a bunch of cards that see Legacy play, cost money and didn't make it in. That one is just weird because Sneak Attack isn't any more iconic than Show and Tell is and the deck is named after both of them.

Lots of good blue options fighting SnT for space, not much red to do so with SA.

Most important cards in the list are Armageddon, Smokestack, Opposition and Upheaval. Exhume and/or Necromancy would be cool too.

Smokestack in a grey border seems almost sacreligious.

Thought about another truly awful thing about EMA: Llanowar Elves over Fyndhorn Elves.

This one is so bizarre to me since my memory of these cards in conjunction is of everyone hating Fyndhorn Elves because of their also-ran status and hideous illustration. I guess it's because fewer reprints and the superior re-illustration is only available on an FTV printing now?

Firemind

You dismiss cards like Reckless Charge and Seismic Stomp when cards like those have been key pieces of successful Red aggro decks in modern limited formats for a while now.
LOL

Next thing you know you're going to tell me Keldon Marauders is a playable card.

Look. Whether they're overcosted or not (they're not since the spider is five mana), Red lacks any way to deal with threats such as the spider at common or uncommon. You can try to convince me Fervent Cathar is the shit, but in the end it's a worse Goblin Shortcutter. Never mind a Heelcutter.

red13th

Smokestack in a grey border seems almost sacreligious.

I wish FTVs were non-foil. :(
Although they did give me Braids, which I thought was impossible since she's a legendary creature banned in Commander, so I can't complain THAT much about stax cards. 'Stack works better with Rancor though. BG stax would be nasty in my cube with Smokestack!

This one is so bizarre to me since my memory of these cards in conjunction is of everyone hating Fyndhorn Elves because of their also-ran status and hideous illustration. I guess it's because fewer reprints and the superior re-illustration is only available on an FTV printing now?

Yeah, people who don't care about foils have the FTV version. The popularity of singleton formats did wonders to Fyndhorn Elves' popularity! I don't even need them right now since my cube is good on mana elves, but if I were to increase my Cube's size I'd be shopping for a non-foil modern-frame Fyndhorn Elves printing.

Risible

I didn't see on OT5 so I'm assuming this is the MtG OT, please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I started playing when Alpha came out, the tail-end of that time frame. I stopped playing around Ice Age-ish, but dabbled in a few later sets. It just got to be too expensive and preyed too heavily on my collector tendencies.

Back in 1997 or so I bought some cards from Christian Pantages. Those of you playing around that time might know that name - he sold a bunch of near-perfect counterfeits that were rumored to have been printed in the actual (at the time) MtG factory. It was huge news at the time.

http://www.apathyhouse.com/fake/pantages.php

A few years ago I sent them to a big online dealer to have them checked out and he wasn't sure they were fake, but ultimately concluded they were.

To be honest, one could easily play with them in a tournament and no one would be the wiser.

These are just sitting around, and I'd rather sell them. Anyone have any good ideas as to places to put them up for sale? I've tried contacting some of the Facebook groups but they are awful about returning PMs. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

bigkrev

I didn't see on OT5 so I'm assuming this is the MtG OT, please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I started playing when Alpha came out, the tail-end of that time frame. I stopped playing around Ice Age-ish, but dabbled in a few later sets. It just got to be too expensive and preyed too heavily on my collector tendencies.

Back in 1997 or so I bought some cards from Christian Pantages. Those of you playing around that time might know that name - he sold a bunch of near-perfect counterfeits that were rumored to have been printed in the actual (at the time) MtG factory. It was huge news at the time.

http://www.apathyhouse.com/fake/pantages.php

A few years ago I sent them to a big online dealer to have them checked out and he wasn't sure they were fake, but ultimately concluded they were.

To be honest, one could easily play with them in a tournament and no one would be the wiser.

These are just sitting around, and I'd rather sell them. Anyone have any good ideas as to places to put them up for sale? I've tried contacting some of the Facebook groups but they are awful about returning PMs. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

It's illegal to sell proxys like that

charlequin, this confusion seems to pop up a lot, so perhaps while the thread's in Community, the title should be changed to "Magic: the Gathering - General Discussion |OT| (Shadows over Innistrad)" or something.

Illegal? Really?

Well, Magic cards are worth money, sometimes very large amounts, particularly the ones you have counterfeits of. Even if you clearly label them as fakes when you sell them, the purchaser could easily use them to fool others. Producing and selling counterfeit Magic cards has led to arrests.

Risible

charlequin, this confusion seems to pop up a lot, so perhaps while the thread's in Community, the title should be changed to "Magic: the Gathering - General Discussion |OT| (Shadows over Innistrad)" or something.

Well, Magic cards are worth money, sometimes very large amounts, particularly the ones you have counterfeits of. Even if you clearly label them as fakes when you sell them, the purchaser could easily use them to fool others. Producing and selling counterfeit Magic cards has led to arrests.

Makes sense. Ah well, back in the box they go. Thanks for the info guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom