• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
This set is coming off to me as Wizards R&D going "We're sorry for BFZ". The level of good/playable stuff spoiled so far makes BFZ feel like the terrible set it was powerlevel wise.

The only stinker is that Red Enchantment IMO.

I mean, I'm excited for a 1/1 1 Drop in Black, a bunch of the uncommons we've seen, etc.

Jhriad

So nobody does full set preorders? Just C/U?

Practically the entire set is going to be over inflated early due to hype. The only way it would be worth it is if a very large number of cards aren't properly evaluated early on and given the number of #mtgfinance folks ogling every card that's unlikely to happen, especially given the sheer volume of product that will be opened on modern standard sets. You'd be better off waiting until we're at peak supply and just buying everything as singles.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
efAjdrt.png

B/R Vampires seems like it's gonna be a thing.

Is that a blood fondue?

That's amazing

Firemind

IDK I guess I got a bunch of cards on color, but a lot of my creatures are random filler shit because I didn't know what to do and commited to the entire color pair early and have no idea if I was supposed to splash or what. I just wish I got some of the double strike boros swiftblade dudes to put the Sunforger on
And I thought my deck was decent.

kirblar

Practically the entire set is going to be over inflated early due to hype. The only way it would be worth it is if a very large number of cards aren't properly evaluated early on and given the number of #mtgfinance folks ogling every card that's unlikely to happen, especially given the sheer volume of product that will be opened on modern standard sets. You'd be better off waiting until we're at peak supply and just buying everything as singles.
If there's only one R/M slot, singles will actually be a bit more expensive than normal- but people may not price correct for that accordingly when things bottom out.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yo charlequin, ok about tabletop games, let's say I wanted to start a Final Fantasy play by post, do I start that in OT or community?

secondly, I don't see a signet up there?

Play by post stuff usually goes straight to community, but you might be able to start it in OT for like a week just to find the group?

Yo charlequin, ok about tabletop games, let's say I wanted to start a Final Fantasy play by post, do I start that in OT or community?

I think we have a Werewolf thread, so wherever that is I guess? I'll look.

I haven't done Ravnica draft ever so I just picked a random clan I had a signet for and hoped people would keep passing me Lightning Helix but Radiance seems pretty horrible and random

Radiance is a bad ability, yes.

Is that a blood fondue?

That's amazing

Oh my god I wish this was what it was.

Firemind

sonuva

i killed the swampwalk dude with last gasp and then he returned and replayed it with a crap card. feels bad man.

Jhriad

If there's only one R/M slot, singles will actually be a bit more expensive than normal- but people may not price correct for that accordingly when things bottom out.

Unless the draft format is just abysmal there's going to be enough supply to force prices to the appropriate levels. If you're going to spec on an entire set Eldritch Moon seems a lot more interesting given that it's a summer set, which are slower to sell, and smack between two other sets (EMA & Conspiracy 2).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think we have a Werewolf thread, so wherever that is I guess? I'll look.

Radiance is a bad ability, yes.

Oh my god I wish this was what it was.

I know I said that but I was playing a dude on R/W/G and he put out a saproling and my "radiance 1 damage" guy wrecked him, so I guess its okay. Sometimes.

kirblar

Unless the draft format is just abysmal there's going to be enough supply to force prices to the appropriate levels. If you're going to spec on an entire set Eldritch Moon seems a lot more interesting given that it's a summer set, which are slower to sell, and smack between two other sets (EMA & Conspiracy 2).
If a set has more than 121 cards in a print sheet (via extra DFCs) it necessitates higher prices for everything since more packs need to be opened to get a full set.

Jhriad

If a set has more than 121 cards in a print sheet (via extra DFCs) it necessitates higher prices for everything since more packs need to be opened to get a full set.

Which might make a full set a slightly better deal if the vendor doesn't adjust prices accordingly, which I'd be surprised to see the big vendors fail to do, but it'll still take into account the prerelease pricing "tax" were you to buy in now. You'd probably be better off redeeming a set off MTGO after it's been drafted a ton. You'll be able to flip that box a lot easier if you're planning on holding it unopened long-term.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fun fact: Sunforger is stupid good in this deck.

Joe Molotov

This is the first time I've seen this version of this card, and it caused me to have a sensible chuckle.

vGTZpU1.jpg

You can attack, or so forth, or what have you, you know?

Angry Grimace

This is the first time I've seen this version of this card, and it caused me to have a sensible chuckle.

vGTZpU1.jpg

You can attack, or so forth, or what have you, you know?

Kormus Bell plus Urborg plus Night of Soul's Betrayal bonus points if you suit up your Urborg to prevent it from ever dying

Haines

Banned
Is that vampire going to be playable in limited tho? Like even if you get a good sacrifice off, throw counters on vampires. Is that swingy enough to warrant a 1/1 for 1 in your deck

Looking at spoiled cards I see a few vamps in red.

I also just clued in that the human synergy cards will work on werewolves

Haines

Banned
Ooh moonmist would be cool in limited
Neat card

I played around with that sage the ancient lore card today in testing limited with a deck that wanted to keep cards (gu) and it still felt kinda bad. 5 mana for a 3/3 and draw a card just doesn't feel that good. And now if you play lands etc you make him lose power.

I don't think he will be what you want.

Even his flip.with vigilance and trample..I'd rather just play a card that does all that begin with in lmtd

Yeef

I never understood why human side werewolf were werewolves in the type but werewolf side weren't humans.
So they work with human tribal when they're in human form, but work with werewolf tribal always. It also allows cards like Moonmist and Immerwolf to exist.

Ooh moonmist would be cool in limited
Neat card

I played around with that sage the ancient lore card today in testing limited with a deck that wanted to keep cards (gu) and it still felt kinda bad. 5 mana for a 3/3 and draw a card just doesn't feel that good. And now if you play lands etc you make him lose power.

I don't think he will be what you want.
Testing limited when basically no commons have been spoiled is mostly pointless. The commons are the most important part of any limited format.

Haines

Banned
Do you guys think that ember wolf that was leaked with no mana cost is 2 and a red common?

I was impressed with it today. BC you can pay 4 and it trades with any 5 HP creature which is what can stop red big butts.

I also really like that green bear that pay 6 BC a 6/6 always feels good to draw that late game cuz it does work

Haines

Banned
Great for my tribal Cube but it does annoy me how so many Innistradi vampires tend not to have classes, just the creature type Vampire. The more creature types a creature has the better IMO.

Some in the new set have

Wizard. Rogue. Bezerker. Knight. Warrior.

So they work with human tribal when they're in human form, but work with werewolf tribal always. It also allows cards like Moonmist and Immerwolf to exist.

Testing limited when basically no commons have been spoiled is mostly pointless. The commons are the most important part of any limited format.

Wasn't it so they wouldn't get extra benefit from Human tribal?

Like, Mayor of Avabruck exists to play with that.

I get the human tribal just that they should still be humans transformed, "were" in werewolf just means "man"

I need more 1-mana Vampires. I'm gonna be pissed if I have to play Zurgo in my Vampire deck.
God I love the art of this set.

This is the set that suits Karla Ortiz's abilities the best, but I don't think she's gonna get a card because she's working at Marvel now :-(

Etymology aside, they're not human when they're transformed. It's the same reason Zombies aren't Zombie Humans. They're just Zombies.

Because cards can only see the front side while a DFC is in the hand or library, so cards like "Search your library for a Werewolf" can't exist otherwise.

My argument is that werewolf should be a half state, a werewolf is werewolf and human at all times.

Yeef

My argument is that werewolf should be a half state, a werewolf is werewolf and human at all times.
Gameplay trumps flavor. Again, Zombies aren't Zombie Humans, but they can be Zombie Beasts or Zombie Giants or Zombie Cats or Zombie Birds. The Human creature type is there for general, run-of-the-mill everyday humans. For a long time, human wasn't even a creature type for the exact reason. They decided to make it a creature type mainly so that they can have tribal elements for plain-old Humans.

Didn't see these posted:

3FbqMGJ.png
i9zvecL.png
u3pKCfM.png

One more.
stromkirkmentor.jpg

One great thing about this set is that even if the card isn't that good, the art and flavor is interesting.

Too many cards to comment on, but all of them are good, except for that red enchantment, which only gets worse as you notice more about it. It wouldn't even be good at 1 mana.

Why isn't Sorin Magic's mascot? He's like ten times cooler and more interesting than any of the Origins 5.

Jace's investigation: Runs from dogs, friendzoned by a necromancer and is generally reminded of how lost and weak he is.

Sorin's investigation: Ascertains the information he needs almost immediately, walks through a magic barrier that instantly kills other mortals nonchalantly and revives the friend he sought without obstacle before returning home for tea time. Wears a trenchcoat in the desert without noticable discomfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom