• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past, Magic would discarded planes left and right, so it's understandable that people would think they'd still do that.

Now, however, they've realized that if they want to return to popular planes, they should keep it in a state such that the next visit can have a similar setting to the first time. Innistrad is one of their most popular planes, so from a business perspective, there's no way they will actually destroy it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What's the other one? Ravnica?

Jace Beleren obviously

In the past, Magic would discarded planes left and right, so it's understandable that people would think they'd still do that.

Now, however, they've realized that if they want to return to popular planes, they should keep it in a state such that the next visit can have a similar setting to the first time. Innistrad is one of their most popular planes, so from a business perspective, there's no way they will actually destroy it.

I think Maro has an article up about this where the first thing they did when they decided to return to Innistrad was undoing whatever plot occurred in Avacyn Restored that made the plane less like stock Innistrad (e.g. the cursemute not working anymore, Vampires now crazy aggressive again).

Ravnica as a plane has so much going on that you can put basically any plot there you want (although they did retcon the entire "guilds dissolve" plot from Dissension to enable it).
Theros has lingering plot threads of Ajani as an Athiest Missionary rallying against the Gods + Elspeth in the underworld.
Tarkir has a lingering plot about the Clans vs. the Dragons (possibly some kind of Chrono Cross-esque revenge of the obliterated timeline or something)
Zendikar, I don't know; whether they left any plot there isn't really relevant since Ulamog probably exiled any remaining good will towards the place to the point nobody needs or wants to go back.
Mirrodin is still lost to the Phyrexians which is a built-in conflict.

Alara and Lorwyn's basic structure both got nuked from orbit through plot devices, but I suspect Lorwyn's could be un-done and so could Alara's.

OnPoint

is... there a reason you think one of Magic's two most valuable properties will be going somewhere
Avacyn was popular too and they killed her. Eventually a plane has to go to give the Eldrazi threat some weight, so why not one where people might actually be sad and care about the stakes after?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Avacyn was popular too and they killed her. Eventually a plane has to go to give the Eldrazi threat some weight, so why not one where people might actually be sad and care about the stakes after?

I'm guessing Zendikar was basically what you are saying, which is fine since I would think at this point Zendikar as a setting is less compelling than even Theros is (I like Theros's setting in full disclosure).

Tarkir has a lingering plot about the Clans vs. the Dragons (possibly some kind of Chrono Cross-esque revenge of the obliterated timeline or something)
Alara and Lorwyn's basic structure both got nuked from orbit through plot devices, but I suspect Lorwyn's could be un-done and so could Alara's.

Return to Tarkir with Suspend would be awesome. Isn't Lorwyn just day night cycle now?

OnPoint

I'm guessing Zendikar was basically what you are saying, which is fine since I would think at this point Zendikar as a setting is less compelling than even Theros is (I like Theros's setting in full disclosure).
Honest to god they should have let Zendikar die for this and many reasons. But if Avacyn is dead and she was warding the plane, what else are they setting up for?

Hero

I would love for Emmy to devour Innistrad. The fact that Sorin is a dick and the plane itself isn't united // doesn't have the Gatewatch would lend itself to why the Gatewatch is important.

OnPoint

I just wish they would have eaten Zendikar and gave Nahiri a reason to be pissed beyond what we already know. Then her firing back at Sorin with what's going on now would have made more sense and been justified somewhat. But Zendikar is safe and sound. Now her motivation just looks silly and haphazard and she kind of looks like an asshole who didn't do her research before committing plane-ending acts.

I totally get the argument that Innistrad is popular and it would be shortsighted to kill it, but the narrative is certainly signposted to heading this way. I can't imagine there will be another big battle on Innistrad like we saw in Battle and Oath, and especially not so soon. If they don't kill Innistrad, I'm genuinely curious to find out what they're up to.

kirblar

Nahiri gets stuck in Helvault for a Millenia, goes kinda crazy. Not a hard story.

Innistrad is not dying. That's not where you end a story like this.

I just wish they would have eaten Zendikar and gave Nahiri a reason to be pissed beyond what we already know. Then her firing back at Sorin with what's going on now would have made more sense and been justified somewhat. But Zendikar is safe and sound. Now her motivation just looks silly and haphazard and she kind of looks like an asshole who didn't do her research before committing plane-ending acts.

I totally get the argument that Innistrad is popular and it would be shortsighted to kill it, but the narrative is certainly signposted to heading this way. I can't imagine there will be another big battle on Innistrad like we saw in Battle and Oath, and especially not so soon. If they don't kill Innistrad, I'm genuinely curious to find out what they're up to.

Zendikar lost swaths of frugal environmént and vast amounts of life was erased. Oran Rief is gone, Nahiri destroyed a Mansion.

OnPoint

Nahiri gets stuck in Helvault for a Millenia, goes kinda crazy. Not a hard story.

Innistrad is not dying. That's not where you end a story like this.

It's a shame if they reduce her to "she's gone mad!" because the motivation could have been relateable and somewhat understandable. But they definitely do seem to be on the less interesting path with her.

Where do you end a story like this though? I guess it depends on what story you're telling. If you want to tell a big, overarching epic, then sometimes you need to lose something of value for other things to have worth. For the events to hold some weight. If we're just focused on Innistrad, then sure, maybe you don't do that. But I think as a whole for Magic, it would do them some good to permanently fuck something up that people love for good.

It really comes back to Zendikar and how it shouldn't have lived haha

Zendikar lost swaths of frugal environmént and vast amounts of life was erased. Oran Rief is gone, Nahiri destroyed a Mansion.

So they can basically start fresh in some aspects when they return to the plane for ZendIIIkar. As for Nahiri, she's not the real threat in the end, who cares that she destroyed a mansion. Emrakul is coming and she's making it happen. And Emrakul has the potential to end the plane.

OnPoint

Stick Emrakul in the moon, watch the plane warp under the influence of a KISHIN...I mean Eldrazi.

I don't get the (guessing) anime reference.

And if they want to do that, and make Innistrad a true plane of horror, I'm hip to that. That's a cool way to keep it around and not just eliminate Emrakul in some horribly contrived way, while still being able to bring her out of the freezer at a later date for some light world snacking.

kirblar

I don't get the (guessing) anime reference.

And if they want to do that, and make Innistrad a true plane of horror, I'm hip to that. That's a cool way to keep it around and not just eliminate Emrakul in some horribly contrived way, while still being able to bring her out of the freezer at a later date for some light world snacking.
Eldritch Horror on the moon warping everything is the plot of Soul Eater.

Silver Moon = Mega Helvault.

Angry Grimace

Eternal Masters MTGO beta invites? I'll take it

It's just running beta booster sealed events, which are kind of a waste of time. It's like 50% completely random cards/50% of whatever just came out for testing purposes.

Angry Grimace

Either

A) The moon is getting fucked up

B) Nahiri comes to her senses and helps Sorin seal Emrakul in the moon

More like Jace shows up and uses his MIND POWERS to convince her about what happened and Jace is hailed as the Hero of Innistrad and Zendikar and Ravnica.

OnPoint

I'm getting tired of 'Oops, we destroyed the plane'. Let it turn out good for once, please.

Like Oath of the Gatewatch?

Either

A) The moon is getting fucked up

B) Nahiri comes to her senses and helps Sorin seal Emrakul in the moon

If they go this route, my prediction is that Jace informs her of the events in last block, and she agrees to help contain Emrakul. Maybe Tamiyo helps heal her madness with a scroll or some dumb crap.

Jace - "If you help us with the eldrazi, I'll wipe the part of Nahiri's brain that hates you"

Sorin - "..." *Warps the moon into a big eldrazi helvault, all of Innistrad floods due to the new tidal forces*

Regardless of how they deal with whatever's
Emrakul
coming, isn't the bigger problem that Innistrad is essentially fucked no matter what they do? Avacyn was gone for what, a year last time? And the humans were screwed. Now she's gone permanently.

Ashodin

Emrakul, the Aeons Hip

PLmdS.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Emrakul
coming, isn't the bigger problem that Innistrad is essentially fucked no matter what they do? Avacyn was gone for what, a year last time? And the humans were screwed. Now she's gone permanently.

Far too elaborate theory time: Emrakul goes intoh the moon, and the evil of Innistrad goes into phase with it, you only have to worry about werewolves and vampires at peak power for like one week out of the month

Emrakul

I expect that some ritual will make Sigarda or one of the other angels the new protector of the plane.
Plus, there's still the Chekhov's Gun of the black aligned Powerpuff Girls sister that Avacyn killed a long time ago.

Ashodin

All the angels will be WRx, whatever color they were before, methinks.

so WUR, WRR

Gisela will go HAM in red.

I'd even put their CC as 1WUR and 1WRR to make them viable

I expect that some ritual will make Sigarda or one of the other angels the new protector of the plane.
Plus, there's still the Chekhov's Gun of the black aligned Powerpuff Girls sister that Avacyn killed a long time ago.

Anything but that. That's probably the biggest asspull of all, what with how they've reiterated that Sorin can't repeat whatever he did to create Avacyn in the first place.

I think Maro has an article up about this where the first thing they did when they decided to return to Innistrad was undoing whatever plot occurred in Avacyn Restored that made the plane less like stock Innistrad (e.g. the cursemute not working anymore, Vampires now crazy aggressive again).

They've had to learn this lesson a couple times. With Mirrodin and Ravnica they treated the settings like they used to treat mechanics -- break all the toys at the end, and in both cases they needed really ugly retcons to make the settings workable again. With Innistrad it was much easier to come up with an excuse that could happen "on screen" but it was still a mistake to leave the plane in happy territory in the first place.

Avacyn was popular too and they killed her.

Characters have effectively zero marketing value to WotC, maybe people like one of them or whatever but they don't affect buying patterns. Innistrad and Ravnica are directly worth significant amounts of money because people will buy a lot more of a set that's based on either plane.

Where do you end a story like this though?

A few options, from most to least tragic: Nahiri dies and some major part of Innistrad (a city or whatever) gets fucked up; Nahiri and Emrakul are imprisoned in the moon together; Sorin dies and Gisela becomes the new protector angel.

Anything but that. That's probably the biggest asspull of all, what with how they've reiterated that Sorin can't repeat whatever he did to create Avacyn in the first place.

Not sure how this is an asspull at all. He was a pre-mending walker then, he's a post-mending walker now.

Turns out Emrakul is a nice gal/horror that was simply misunderstood. Offers to take Avaycn's place and exiles vamps/wolves/monsters to stay fed and keep plane in balance. This is after Have finds a way to read her mind of course.

Ashodin

Characters have effectively zero marketing value to WotC, maybe people like one of them or whatever but they don't affect buying patterns. Innistrad and Ravnica are directly worth significant amounts of money because people will buy a lot more of a set that's based on either plane.

Anecdotal evidence: overheard at an LGS someone saying "I want to buy only the packs with Avacyn on it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom