• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriox

Top 8d an scg iq and finished a standard competitive league with 5-0, last round against Shaheen Soorani, having a decent week with Mardu Control :) nothing crazy noteworthy but better than I usually accomplish so I'm happy.

Well, won two rounds so I guess it's not that bad after all. I did gamble for Maelstrom Wanderer twice with 4+ cards in hand and discarded him twice, though.

bigkrev

This Brian Kelly-LSV commentary duo is really fun.
"What is that creature?"
"That's an Eldrazi Mimic. It's a 2/1 that turns into another Eldrazi if you cast one"
"Oh... I guess that was a good card in Modern or something. I only like Vintage"
"I would have never guessed"

bigkrev

Which Magic Pro are you quiz http://gasmtg.com/which-hall-of-famer-are-you/
I got Efro
KJQO8lQ.png

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You’re Anton Jonsson. Congratulations? You’re in the Hall of Fame, probably. At least, you think you are - and you’ve heard someone else say that you’re in the Hall of Fame. Maybe they were thinking of Olle Rade though - he’s definitely in the Hall of Fame, and you’re both Swedish. It would be an easy mistake to make. Well, for now you can celebrate as if you were in the Hall of Fame until you find out otherwise.

Frank Karsten.

Actually fairly accurate.

Same here. For future reference:
You are Frank Karsten - wow! You might not have the greatest resume amongst Hall of Famers, but you’re no slouch - and you’re one of the greatest analysts the game has ever seen. Your technical approach to Magic and the accompanying articles are always excellent, and nobody could forget your Aggregate Faeries deck or U/W Highlander Control in extended. The only blemish on your scoreboard came when you tried to use a highlander strategy at Go Fish tournament - oops!

Schryver

Hey GAF,
A couple of my friends and I are considering playing Magic for the first time.
(uh oh)
We have some Hearthstone experience but that's it. I read the OP and skimmed this whole thread and have been looking around at other suggestions for getting started.
I stopped by Target on my way home (had a gift card) and picked up 3 different Innistrad intro packs (only thing they had) with the intention of gifting 1 to each the of the other guys and us learning some of the basics by playing with those decks. Does that sound alright? Or should I pick up a deckbuilder toolkit (Innistrad? or is there a reason to pick Origins over it? Or both?!) or even a Zendikar duel deck instead?
I will also try to grab a couple those free starter packs if I can. Thanks for the help!

Hey GAF,
(uh oh)
We have some Hearthstone experience but that's it. I read the OP and skimmed this whole thread and have been looking around at other suggestions for getting started.
I stopped by Target on my way home (had a gift card) and picked up 3 different Innistrad intro packs (only thing they had) with the intention of gifting 1 to each the of the other guys and us learning some of the basics by playing with those decks. Does that sound alright? Or should I pick up a deckbuilder toolkit (Innistrad? or is there a reason to pick Origins over it? Or both?!) or even a Zendikar duel deck instead?
I will also try to grab a couple those free starter packs if I can. Thanks for the help!

I'd recommend that you and your friends go through the tutorials of Magic Duels, since I can't imagine it going well for a group entirely made up of beginners to try and learn the game without any guidance.

As for your product choice, you did fine. Magic Origins would have provided some simpler cards and mechanics, but in an intro pack, you'll get simple cards anyway. The Deckbuilder Toolkit would have provided you with a lot of cards, but at this stage, it's better to get a deck that has already been made. As for which Deckbuilder Toolkit to get if you were going to get one, just go for whichever art you like more or whichever is cheapest. The duel decks are more advanced than the intro packs, so you are probably better off with the intro packs in this case.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Hey GAF,
(uh oh)

It depends what you want out of it. If you just want to have a lot of casual fun with friends, commander is a good way to go (format with 100 card deck, where each card must be unique), if you are competitive and like to win, going to local FNM to learn is a good way to get a head-first crash-course. Since you're coming from Hearthstone a lot of stuff that takes a few games to understand like triggers you'll pick up right away but for anything else, Google will probably answer any rules questions you might have.

From the VSL last night:

Steve: "And he's going to end up taking 4 extra damage from the Myr bonus as well."
LSV: "And that's not a mere bonus - that's a substantial bonus that's going to mean a lot this game.
Steve (completely oblivious to what just happened): "Absolutely."

:lol

Hero

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";205287253]Why is Inkwell Leviathan in the Reanimator deck?[/QUOTE]

Because it's hard to get rid of and is a good body.

Schryver

It depends what you want out of it. If you just want to have a lot of casual fun with friends, commander is a good way to go (format with 100 card deck, where each card must be unique), if you are competitive and like to win, going to local FNM to learn is a good way to get a head-first crash-course. Since you're coming from Hearthstone a lot of stuff that takes a few games to understand like triggers you'll pick up right away but for anything else, Google will probably answer any rules questions you might have.

Yeah I will have to find out what my friends want out of it. I am interested in trying some competitive stuff but they are busier than me and might not be willing to spend as much money. Commander is probably a good option since it apparently works well for FFA. The cube idea sounds cool as well and would mean that I could supply cards for everyone but that is a bit overwhelming to start with.

Magic Story - All That Came Before - We're still in Eternal Masters mode for the stories, and we got one set on Mercadia (Mercadian Masques). It's pretty decent but straightforward. Girl doesn't believe in her village's traditions, village is attacked by the Mercadians, she turns to their traditions and becomes strong enough to help fight them off. There's some body horror, as a head's up.

I will say that the constant use of apostrophes before each name was rather confusing, because I kept thinking it was the start of a quote for half a second.

EDIT:
Yeah I will have to find out what my friends want out of it. I am interested in trying some competitive stuff but they are busier than me and might not be willing to spend as much money. Commander is probably a good option since it apparently works well for FFA. The cube idea sounds cool as well and would mean that I could supply cards for everyone but that is a bit overwhelming to start with.

Don't get ahead of yourself. No one in your group, including yourself, knows how to play Magic. Deal with that first, using what you already have.

y2dvd

Would You Rather? Eternal Masters Art Edition (Part 1)
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/would-you-rather-eternal-masters-art-edition-part-1

My picks

Counterspell: New
Giant Tortoise: Either - Something enduring about that old art.
Glacial Wall: Old - I got a tattoo of a wolf, so I'm bias.
Hydroblast: Old
Memory Lapse: New
Peregrine Drake: Old
Phantom Monster: Old - That flavor text
Stupifying Touch: Old - That pose is too boss.
Daze: New
Prodigal Sorcerer: New
Control Magic: Either - Leaning towards new but old is great too.
Force of Will: New
Diminishing Returns: New
Mystic Tutor: New
Nausea: New
Prowling Pangolin: New
Havoc Demon: Old
Sengir Autocrat: New
Animate Dead: Either
Vampiric Tutor: New
Entomb: New
Sinkhole: New
Wasteland: New
Karakas: New

N/O/E
15/6/3

Surprisingly, I still preferred a few of the old arts and was tossed on several others.

Santiako

Would You Rather? Eternal Masters Art Edition (Part 1)
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/would-you-rather-eternal-masters-art-edition-part-1

My picks

Counterspell: New
Giant Tortoise: Either - Something enduring about that old art.
Glacial Wall: Old - I got a tattoo of a wolf, so I'm bias.
Hydroblast: Old
Memory Lapse: New
Peregrine Drake: Old
Phantom Monster: Old - That flavor text
Stupifying Touch: Old - That pose is too boss.
Daze: New
Prodigal Sorcerer: New
Control Magic: Either - Leaning towards new but old is great too.
Force of Will: New
Diminishing Returns: New
Mystic Tutor: New
Nausea: New
Prowling Pangolin: New
Havoc Demon: Old
Sengir Autocrat: New
Animate Dead: Either
Vampiric Tutor: New
Entomb: New
Sinkhole: New
Wasteland: New
Karakas: New

N/O/E
15/6/3

Surprisingly, I still preferred a few of the old arts and was tossed on several others.

Part 2 is there too

Joe Molotov

Also in some random search I came across this random fan card that is definitely near the top of the "WTF did I just read" scale for me:

1452883514320741.png

What drives people to want to create new keywords that are not only extremely confusing but also extremely narrow and/or just plain bad?

Flample is the only new keyword we need.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
What drives people to want to create new keywords that are not only extremely confusing but also extremely narrow and/or just plain bad?

"I think I'm smarter than everybody else and if I can confuse some folks, I get some much-needed personal validation supporting that."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magic Story - All That Came Before - We're still in Eternal Masters mode for the stories, and we got one set on Mercadia (Mercadian Masques). It's pretty decent but straightforward. Girl doesn't believe in her village's traditions, village is attacked by the Mercadians, she turns to their traditions and becomes strong enough to help fight them off. There's some body horror, as a head's up.

I will say that the constant use of apostrophes before each name was rather confusing, because I kept thinking it was the start of a quote for half a second.

EDIT:

Don't get ahead of yourself. No one in your group, including yourself, knows how to play Magic. Deal with that first, using what you already have.

Having an Uncharted Realms set on Mercadia without putting Rishadan Port in the set is next level trolling.

Joe Molotov

Let's break down this card. The first time it attacks, it would be -3/3. Then the second time it attacked, it be -9/9. Then -27/27! And then at that point you've either won or you've turned one of your opponent's creatures into a 0/40 wall. Now we're playing Magic, guys!

ironmang

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";205287253]Why is Inkwell Leviathan in the Reanimator deck?[/QUOTE]

Dodges swords, maze of ith, and karakas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom